PDA

View Full Version : Quest, Comcast, or Dish

tecknojoe
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 03:42 PM
Which should I get? I'm moving into a new place on friday and need tv and internet. I don't know much about the services out here in Denver

laspariahs
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Which should I get? I'm moving into a new place on friday and need tv and internet. I don't know much about the services out here in Denver

I won't ever go qwest again solely because when I had them I was calling them at least once a month usually a lot more to correct EVERY single bill. I have comcast now and they are ok.

AOK303
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 04:01 PM
It's not Qwest for internet now its centurylink

grim
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM
in my opinion they all suck!!

Sleev
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Comcast has shitty customer service, but I've negotiated more than one contract with them. Our cable internet is really fucking fast.

Just keep in mind that your in a competitive market so you can fenagle (sp) your way into a pretty good deal whatever you decide to do.

tecknojoe
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Yea I love going back and forth to make them drop price.

Pretty much trying to figure out if centurylink or comcast has really shitty outages or anything like that

Sarge
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I had Comcast HD service for all of a month or so about a year ago, and it sucked. DirecTV has the best HDTV stuff, I almost never watch anything in SD anymore.

As far as Internet goes, if you can get Quest (Centurylink) FIBER service, go with that, you'll get faster uploads comparatively and cheaper service for higher bandwidth. BUT, if all they have is DSL (Max is 12 Mbps) then stay away, get Comcast with 20+ Mbps and it's lightning fast.

The Black Knight
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 05:34 PM
Go with Comcast or Xfinity as they are now. With Xfinity you get Cable, Internet and Phone for $149.99 and it stays at the price for a long time. Well worth it and it blows away Qwest, Dish and DirectTV. My only gripe, is that their DVR had more storage. With all the HD channels I've got, seems I max my storage pretty quick. Not sure if it's the HD that does it, but seems to fill up fast. Nothing like watching MotoGP in HD though, racing is way better.

tecknojoe
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 06:33 PM
I can't believe comcast is $150 for internet and tv. that's ridiculous

qwest is way cheaper but my apt faces north so direct tv is out of the question.

god i hate cable companies

DemonRider
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Well if you wind up going for Comcast let me know (PM) ;) , I won't preach who is better, to me it all about cost, TV is TV to me although I am a firm believer that we (Comcast) have better Internet !! but I'll let you decide :),, plus you h
Get me to install it hahaha!

DemonRider
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 06:47 PM
What DVR do you have right now? What does it look like?

Go with Comcast or Xfinity as they are now. With Xfinity you get Cable, Internet and Phone for $149.99 and it stays at the price for a long time. Well worth it and it blows away Qwest, Dish and DirectTV. My only gripe, is that their DVR had more storage. With all the HD channels I've got, seems I max my storage pretty quick. Not sure if it's the HD that does it, but seems to fill up fast. Nothing like watching MotoGP in HD though, racing is way better.

Clovis
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Comcast's Internet is good but too expensive for what you get from a tv and Internet package.

tecknojoe
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the pm, get back to me and by tuesday I'll be looking to set up the install appointment with whoever I decide to go with

I wish Verizon FIOS was out here. I had that in VA for $115/mo. It was facking fantastic

vort3xr6
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
I pay 175 per month for comcast Internet and TV. Not the best Internet and not the best TV. I am thinking about going to internet only and using Netflix.

The Black Knight
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I can't believe comcast is $150 for internet and tv. that's ridiculous

qwest is way cheaper but my apt faces north so direct tv is out of the question.

god i hate cable companies
It's for all three, not just internet and cable. But phone as well, which is local and long distance(at no extra charge). So you get 3 services for $150, not to mention, I'm getting a full year of HBO, HD channels and my DVR free for a year. It's actually the best deal out there, and I've got blazing fast internet as well. After a year, I'll let HBO go and just pay the fee for the DVR, HD channels are still in the package because I have the DVR.

What DVR do you have right now? What does it look like?
Not sure which model it is, it's a Motorola, dual receiver/HDD DVR and it's silver in color. I think if I remember right from reading the brochure, if you record in HD, you'll eat up more space. Which makes sense, because recording races and other shows fill up space rather quick. About every two days I have to clear up space.

Clovis
Sat Aug 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Cancel your cable and go with a Netflix subscription. You get FIRST RATE MOVIES on demand! FOR FREES!!

Imagine the sheer awesomeness of logging into your Netflix account and being able to choose from a wide selection of incredible movies! Like Tangled!!

http://i1183.photobucket.com/albums/x469/jdharward/tangled.jpg

derekm
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:44 PM
I've been w comcast a while, I wont deal w a contract so that x'es the dish stuff out for me. Its about 120 for 10mb(usually flows A LOT smoother though), 2 boxes, 1 hd w dvr & hd package. Also would be interested in more dvr storage.

Foolds
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 08:47 PM
Dish Network for tv.. and Century link for Internet. Big Big fan of Dish Network

modette99
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:40 PM
Wow we just have Comcast Internet now...I just cancelled Netflix today...So its been over the air HD TV for a long time. Nothing on Comcast TV anyways...anything I want to watch I download it and burn a DVD and watch it on the TV *shrug*

brennahm
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
I just picked up Comcast at the 20 Mb level (consistently pulling over 30). Don't have a TV package. Service is phenomenal and the even sent me a new router for free.

modette99
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
I just picked up Comcast at the 20 Mb level (consistently pulling over 30). Don't have a TV package. Service is phenomenal and the even sent me a new router for free.

I have a top of the line Motorola router it will support 100MB/s coming in (I think I paid $100 for it 2-3 years back now). So no modem rental here, and at the rate they charge I've paid for my own now and am saving money. I will say I have had Comcast Internet since 2004, had it before then for a bit too when it was AT&T back in Michigan it was good then too. I think I pay now $69.99 a month for just internet for the 20/mb shit.

One thing I missed in MI they would give you the higher speed for FREE, as our area was a test area and was always rolled out before everyone else. So I miss that. So for $29.99 you always were upped to the newer high speed. I have debated whether to go with a faster package but with this PC this is faster then my computer can handle.

I wish I could rate DSL but I have never needed to change the service provider for Internet.

Also I can not complain we had a billing mistake since I cancelled the TV package with Comcast. They were only charging $29.99 for the 20/mb internet...LOL They caught on and in fact we got a letter the other day saying so and effective our next billing it will be the advertise price.....hmmm maybe I should call and try and haggle, although I feel they will just say "lets lower the speed"....sigh

mastap07
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:46 AM
Dish Network for tv.. and Century link for Internet. Big Big fan of Dish Network

:yes::up:

Ricky
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 04:12 PM
I'd say DirecTV for the video side of things. Comcast's reliability sucks, and the picture quality is sub-par in comparison.

As for internet, I'd say Comcast or Century Link, depending on if you can get fiber or not through century link. If it's just DSL, then Comcast is the better option. The reason is because DSL here uses interleaving which creates latency 4 times (at a minimum) that of cable or fiber service.

At home I have Comcast business class internet, and it's ridiculous. I have 22/5MB dedicated, but my traffic has priority over residential traffic, and my burst speeds are usually 60-70MB down, and I have seen them at high at 130MB. Up speeds are consistently 5MB, and peak at about 12MB. I pay about $100/mo, but to me it's well worth it.

DevilsTonic
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 07:05 AM
I'd say DirecTV for the video side of things. Comcast's reliability sucks, and the picture quality is sub-par in comparison.

As for internet, I'd say Comcast or Century Link, depending on if you can get fiber or not through century link. If it's just DSL, then Comcast is the better option. The reason is because DSL here uses interleaving which creates latency 4 times (at a minimum) that of cable or fiber service.

At home I have Comcast business class internet, and it's ridiculous. I have 22/5MB dedicated, but my traffic has priority over residential traffic, and my burst speeds are usually 60-70MB down, and I have seen them at high at 130MB. Up speeds are consistently 5MB, and peak at about 12MB. I pay about $100/mo, but to me it's well worth it.What he said...

isaiahchavez
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 07:11 AM
I have dish for the tv and Comcast for my internet. Not a fan of Comcast picture quality and pricing.

salsashark
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 08:08 AM
I have dish for the tv and Comcast for my internet. Not a fan of Comcast picture quality and pricing.

that's my situation...

dish is good. Even better with my brother's employee discount.

Between comcast and qwest... I went with the lesser of two evils.

ian22
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I tried qwest internet since I got their directtv service, but they only offered 1.5mbps speed in my area so i had to get cable internet...which kinda sucked but I think its priced reasonably for (I think) 7mbps speed.

Nooch
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
My roommate and I both work for Comcast, but I dont know if I would necessarily recommend them. Prices do seem high and the customer service has always been regarded as terrible. As far as the service itself though, Im happy with it up to the point where football comes into play. Then I start wshing I had DirecTV and NFL Sunday Ticket lol! I might be able to get you a good promotional deal if you choose to hook up with Comcast. PM me if you decide to go that route and I'll see what I can do!