PDA

View Full Version : 2 Points!

Keyser Soze
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
http://jacksonville.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/superphoto/met_MotorcycleWreck0_0.jpg

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2011-08-21/story/mototcyclist-escapes-serious-injury-collision-jacksonville-police#ixzz1VkdiNkQM

bulldog
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:33 PM
Quote: "Police at the scene said a cruiser was making a U-turn in the 14600 block of Normandy Boulevard when it was hit by an eastbound motorcycle"

Hard to tell but looking at that picture it does not seem like a place where a U-turn would be legal. I bet it was one of those lame cop moves they do that they ticket others for and this motorcycle got hit by it.

I see cops all the time make U-turns in the middle of a road. This is probably an example of how it can hurt others!

Mother Goose
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:34 PM
We had one pull a U-turn in front of our group on the Dave Camp ride. Good thing Matty was paying attention. I just shook my head at the cop as he went the other direction.

grim
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:35 PM
I give it a 8 had a good running start good jump but a terrible dismount!

crypto0793
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 02:43 PM
The bike looks good

ChrisCBX
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:08 PM
We had one pull a U-turn in front of our group on the Dave Camp ride. Good thing Matty was paying attention. I just shook my head at the cop as he went the other direction.

That was a surprise for sure. No lights or any other indication other than brake lights that the LEO was going to turn. We could have accordioned into the back/side of the cruiser. If Matty/we had been going faster it would have hurt.

bulldog
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:18 PM
That was a surprise for sure. No lights or any other indication other than brake lights that the LEO was going to turn. We could have accordioned into the back/side of the cruiser. If Matty/we had been going faster it would have hurt. Wow! This makes me so annoyed! And yet I am suppose to respect officers that do stuff like this as if my/our lives can't be affected by such carelessness. Then they wonder why so many people have bad attitudes towards cops.

Wrider
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:25 PM
Sooo in this case the bike came out on top?

Vellos
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:16 PM
The bike looks good

Yeah I don't see much damage to it. Couple fairing bits on the ground.

laspariahs
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 09:20 PM
And nothing will happen to the cop.

MilkMan
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 11:48 PM
And nothing will happen to the cop.

^^ This is correct and frankly sickening.. Way to go flipping a bitch in the pouring rain in front of an unsuspecting sport bike.. How in the hell was he supposed to stop a bike going 35 in the rain? That cop should be fined and ticketed just like any other average joe would in that case. Hope the rider was ok?!
-Mick-

brennahm
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:55 AM
Man, the assumptions are flying now! Having lived in Jax, I wouldn't be surprised if the cop was ticketed after an "investigation."

bulldog
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 07:59 AM
Man, the assumptions are flying now! Having lived in Jax, I wouldn't be surprised if the cop was ticketed after an "investigation." I hope you are right! If it was the other way around and a sportbike made an illegal turn in the rain and hit a cop I bet we would have heard about "charges" in the article; yet in this article nothing about it. Why! :|

brennahm
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 08:14 AM
Because they'll do an investigation. Think about it. It's much easier to give the average joe a ticket and let him fight it and cause an investigation in that order. With the cop, you have to be careful admitting wrong doing unless you're sure (what with people just waiting to sue the government and whatnot). So, in the end, it's just as fair, but the publicity alone warrants proceeding carefully.

laspariahs
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
Because they'll do an investigation. Think about it. It's much easier to give the average joe a ticket and let him fight it and cause an investigation in that order. With the cop, you have to be careful admitting wrong doing unless you're sure (what with people just waiting to sue the government and whatnot). So, in the end, it's just as fair, but the publicity alone warrants proceeding carefully.

No this makes no sense. Cops should be held to a higher standard, not a more lax one. As servants to the public they are beholden to us, if they injure one of us, or do something illegal it is twice as bad than when a average joe does something illegal, as we are not sworn to uphold the law.

This cop will at most get a slap on the wrist, when he should at least be dismissed from service, and frankly should spend some time in jail for breaking the law he was sworn to uphold. Jail time for a u-turn you say, yes, he didn't just make an illegal u-turn he broke his master's trust, the society which entrusted him with the powers bestowed upon him above and beyond the average citizen which he obviously does not deserve.

brennahm
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 10:49 AM
This cop will at most get a slap on the wrist.

This is where I have a problem with what you and others are saying. You DO NOT know that this will be the outcome and in fact only further serves to illustrate my point.

Cops do get in trouble. The problem arises due to the fact that when they are dealt with appropriately then it's not a news story and you don't hear about it. You only hear about cops getting off. Hence, your cop-hating attitude is fed with anecdotal evidence that in no way is representative of actual statistics.

My point was simply that BECAUSE the cop is a public servant and should be held to a higher standard they will/should perform an investigation so that they can be SURE of what happened. To announce at the scene that the cop was at fault would be preemptive, unprofessional, and would do little to serve the public with accurate information. This is how things work in the real world.

Have at it, I've said my piece.

Ghost
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:12 AM
No this makes no sense. Cops should be held to a higher standard, not a more lax one. As servants to the public they are beholden to us, if they injure one of us, or do something illegal it is twice as bad than when a average joe does something illegal, as we are not sworn to uphold the law.

"Should", unfortunately, doesn't mean "will", and while I agree with your sentiment, in real life those with the power to enforce the laws rarely seem to enforce them on their own.

You're also forgetting the police unions, who, just like in the recent DUI case, will push and pressure for little-to-nothing to be done about any wrongdoings...

So, instead of facing the same punishment you or I would receive, their 30-year veteran officer is allowed to simply resign.

Incident (bold mine)

Witnesses reported seeing the Aurora police car speeding while a passenger threw trash - possibly beer cans - from the vehicle.

"That vehicle was going be part of the funeral procession for these officers," said Carlson. "If they had spotted backgrounds, they never would have made this trip out of state, to represent the department. These officers will be held accountable."

The arresting officer says Bickett was going 57 mph in a 40 mph zone. But Morehouse says witnesses reported the car going more than 100 mph per hour at one point, and the vehicle's emergency lights were also used to pass other cars.

Arresting officers say they found beer in a cooler inside the patrol car.

A woman who answered the door at Bickett's home Thursday said she had nothing to say. But Aurora residents do.

"It's wrong. They are supposed to set examples for us. So if we do it, we get in trouble, so should they," said Aurora resident Tracy Spence.

Police Chief Dan Oates say he's committed to holding the officers, who are 30-year veterans in the department, accountable.

Final Result:

"I thank Brad for his decision. He made the honorable choice to retire. He has accepted responsibility. His apology will mean a great deal to his colleagues in the Department and will help put this unfortunate event behind us.”"

spdu4ia
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
WTF! how about some retribution along with that forced retirement.

Ghost
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:08 PM
WTF! how about some retribution along with that forced retirement.

Well, it was a retirement (with pension, I'm sure) and an apology...really, what more could you want?

Canuck
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:48 PM
This site makes for some good old eye-opening reading.
Probably, will also make you question why morality and authority don't go hand-in-hand.

Click here (http://www.injusticeeverywhere.com/)

Ghost
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Probably, will also make you question why morality and authority don't go hand-in-hand.

Problem is, authority and power do go hand-in-hand, and you can't divest one from the other, nor expect morality to really contain/control/modify either...in fact, it seems that the more authority you have, the less concerned you need to be with morality...

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

bulldog
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 01:33 PM

Holy sh*t 12 instances just for yesterday!
13 for the 20th
16 for the 19th

And this are only the cops that got caught. Wow, is all I can say :mad: Just like the site says "INJUSTICE EVERYWHERE"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

READ SOME OF THESE AND SEE HOW SICKENING SOME OF THESE CHARGES ARE!!!!!!!!!

Just one example: A drunk New York NY police officer was arrested on a sexual assault charge after a witness called 911 while seeing him rape a school teacher at gun point early in the morning. Police arrived in time find him with the victim who was able to tell them what happened.

Ghost
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 02:04 PM
Just one example: A drunk New York NY police officer was arrested on a sexual assault charge after a witness called 911 while seeing him rape a school teacher at gun point early in the morning. Police arrived in time find him with the victim who was able to tell them what happened.

I'm sure he's been put on paid leave until he's cleared of all charges...