PDA

View Full Version : n00b got a big bike

60pan
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:27 PM
Mosquito :hibye:

grim
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
OK so I got myself anew F800GS and a pass to ride this weekend from the Wifey. My plan is to ride over Mosquito pass to Leadville and back to Fairplay on Weston pass, Sunday.

anybody wanna come see a n00b drop his new bike alot and struggle like hell to make Mosquito :hibye:

:no: i wish man Mosquito pass is epic!!! alas i do not have a dual sport!

Sean
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 03:43 PM
Bummer, I don't think I can this weekend, pretty sure the boss (gf) has plans for me. If it falls through, I'll post up. I haven't done Mosquito, but did Weston two weeks ago. It's not very hard. The west side is a little rougher than the east side, but not bad.

Other good/easy pass' in that area are Shrine Pass (Red Cliff to I70) and Boreas (Como to Breckenridge) and Guaenella (Georgetown to grant. It's only 25% dirt)

Sean
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 04:56 PM
I'll work on her Scott, but no promises. :up:

Yes, I think crash bars are a must, especially if you do stupid shit. Ask Bodhizafa about the value of his crash bars! :lol: They've saved his F800 more than once. Good idea, especially since Mosquito is supposed to be very rocky.

asp_125
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 05:02 PM
Years ago when I 4x4'd Mosquito there were sections where it was nothing but babyheads and larger rocks. Primarily on the east side above the abandoned mines. West side is all shelf road down to Leadville. (babyheads .. MTB slang for some rocks the size of well.. baby heads)

Sean
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 05:19 PM
Also I tested the crashbars at his house at 7am. They work fine.Always good to get the virgin drop out of the way. It's sad, but it probably won't be the last time. Did you guys stick to the tarmac?

636chick
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 05:55 PM
OK so I got myself anew F800GS and a pass to ride this weekend from the Wifey. My plan is to ride over Mosquito pass to Leadville and back to Fairplay on Weston pass, Sunday.

anybody wanna come see a n00b drop his new bike alot and struggle like hell to make Mosquito :hibye:

Nice acquisistion on the Beemer!
That route was the route I took when I placed the ADV Tag on the top of Mosquito Pass weekend before last. I would go with you for moral support, but I am entered to race already on Saturday, and I'm usually not in any shape to do much the following Sunday. There is really only one section going up Mosquito that is scetchy on the big bikes. I did it on my modded Wee-Strom, so your bike should breeeze right up being newer and all. We will need to get together for a bigbike DS later this season. Good luck!

Oops, I keep forgetting my wife is logged in on this computer. Lol.

bodhizafa
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 03:27 PM
This was a ride so we didn't stop for pics but here is what I did take. And the wildlife... 1 moose, 1 goat, a herd of elk at the top, and the usual marmots, chipmunks in the road, lots of predator birds and 1 porcupine sleeping on the shoulder.

Berthod got some nice shitters!
http://60pan.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/i-ws8qzTC/0/M/smugshot2083565-M.jpg

The bikes. Not professional photography at all.
http://60pan.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/i-6GJxX4k/0/M/smugshot7263808-M.jpg

12,900 ft.
http://60pan.smugmug.com/Other/My-Smug-Mug/i-Hfx3mcP/0/M/smugshot1247913-M.jpg

My bike will never come close to being that clean ever again :)

JohnEffinK
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 03:52 PM
My bike will never come close to being that clean ever again :)

Ha, I tried after AK and the Dalton....and my left fairing paint is foooked...

60Pan: Is that a FatBob parked next to you? If so why did dude/dudette mess it up by removing the drag bars? I dig the drags on mine.

John

JohnEffinK
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Too small for apes and most guys riding them can't take their hands off the bars for fear of crashing!!! Thanks for the offer!

John

bodhizafa
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 09:35 PM
You should think about a headlight cover/protector. I believe a new housing costs about $400 and with the Colorado roads, its bound to get hit with a rock.

JohnEffinK
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Yup what Bodhi said.

There are two kinds. One a wire mesh and one a full plastic overlay that covers the entire lens area. I have a wire mesh one.

I thought a rock would never get through the mesh with enough force to do any damage. Heck the openings are only about 1/2 inch square.

AK proved wrong. Somehow a rock got through and cracked my lens and ran both headlight side and high beam side. Suck. Not going to replace it until total failure though.

Buddy has the full plastic one but I think it looks stupid.

Aesthetics (sp?) won me over but I lost in the end. YMMV!

John

bodhizafa
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I like my lexan one. Got it from Best of the Rest.... something like that. About $100. I'll try to find a pic of it and post it later.

modette99
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 08:11 PM
60pan - Well at least now I can understand you not wanting to ride with me (my advrider posting)...new bike, don't want to risk getting into way over your head....hehehehehe

First time over Mosquito Pass and a huge bike...yep you will probably take 2 hours to cross over if not more.

Mosquito is pretty washed out this year, the metal pipe that cross the road (drainage) is pretty much totally exposed (there are a few sharp spots on the pipe. I stayed to the left...in the Jeep I had my friend get out and make sure I was not going to hit a sharp spot.

Good luck, have fun, and don't drop it too much.