PDA

View Full Version : First Time at Pueblo Drag Strip

Husky
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 05:56 PM
Went to the Pueblo Drag Strip for the first time last weekend. What a great time, the entry was only $20 and the nice thing was that even if you lost the race you still got to go and run your bike and make test n tune runs all night long for no extra cost. The track is about 1000 feet lower in altitude than Bandimere so I was able to run a little faster and got a personal best on the Busa of a 10.0 @ 142 mph.

Got to pit/camp for free at the track, the people that run the track are great and the locals are very friendly giving the track and Friday night races that small town atmosphere. I will definaately be back and like this track much better than Bandimere simply due to I didnt have to wait and hour between runs.

Clovis
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
I haven't been to PMI in forever. I think they still do open drags on Fridays (Friday night drags).

The issue back then (8-10 years ago) was the road condition wasn't that great. How was the strip when you went?

Husky
Mon Aug 22nd, 2011, 07:04 PM
The strip was really good they did a good job prepping the track ( no traction problems at all) but than a wind storm came in that blew dust/sand all over the track so they called the races. They are repaving the track this year starting Sept. 11.

Hibs
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 09:17 PM
2 hours away? not a bad drive, i've gone farther in the past. sounds like a descent place, i would love to check it out. i was planning to hit up bandimere sometime here in september. maybe i'll see about this place too.

Husky
Tue Aug 23rd, 2011, 09:29 PM
2 hours away? not a bad drive, i've gone farther in the past. sounds like a descent place, i would love to check it out. i was planning to hit up bandimere sometime here in september. maybe i'll see about this place too.

Yeah, it took me about a couple hours getting there from Morrison but was definately worth the drive.

servion
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Glad you did well there! I always run better at bandimere despite the higher elevation, mainly for traction issues. I am able to usually run ~16psi in the tire at bandi and never spin, while I'm down in the 10-11psi range at PMI and can still spin out of the hole and/or down track.

I'm planning on going to PMI tonight if the weather looks like it will hold :)

Husky
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 09:07 PM
Glad you did well there! I always run better at bandimere despite the higher elevation, mainly for traction issues. I am able to usually run ~16psi in the tire at bandi and never spin, while I'm down in the 10-11psi range at PMI and can still spin out of the hole and/or down track.

I'm planning on going to PMI tonight if the weather looks like it will hold :)

Thanks, I am currently at Bandimere running the 2 day High Altitude Bracket Nationals, was able to run a 10.002 at 143mph so far today. I plan on going down next weekend for the final race at Pueblo. I think if I just got a good tail wind I could sneak into the 9's

servion
Tue Sep 6th, 2011, 10:55 AM
You're right there, I think you can do this this friday! Just don't eat all day or something LOL

I went last Friday and stretched the hell out of my chain :O Looks like its time to finally get a good chain tool and figure it out

Husky
Tue Sep 6th, 2011, 03:53 PM
You're right there, I think you can do this this friday! Just don't eat all day or something LOL

I went last Friday and stretched the hell out of my chain :O Looks like its time to finally get a good chain tool and figure it out

LOL, I know if I could lose a few pounds I probably could have got into the
9's awhile ago. Be careful on the chains, a friend of mine with a 08 turbo busa lost a chain at the track and it really caused a mess. What kind of times did you run?

servion
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I pulled ~3psi out of the rear tire from what I used at bandi and ran a 9.1@165, spinning very badly out of the hole on that first pass. Lowered the tire pressure some more and hit a reasonable 60' (1.62), then it pulled the front end pretty hard ~100 feet out, set it down reasonably quickly and heard the front sprocket skipping teeth. I have a new chain and sprockets on the way, getting ready for next Sunday :)

Husky
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Wow, those are some very respectable times especially with wheeling and losing traction. What size sprockets are you running? I just dropped -2 on front and left my 43 stock in rear but as you can imagine am having real wheelie issues on a stock wheel base bike.

servion
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Wow, those are some very respectable times especially with wheeling and losing traction. What size sprockets are you running? I just dropped -2 on front and left my 43 stock in rear but as you can imagine am having real wheelie issues on a stock wheel base bike.

When we talked on CO track day, I was going consistent 8.8-8.9 @ 164-165mph all day, so I should be right there at PMI as well if I can stick.

Stock gen1 busa is 17/40, I was 17/46 at bandi on CO track day and last Friday when I stretched the chain. I'm switching to 18/48.

Yeah SWB with that gearing even on a stock gen2 is no joke - I bet you'll feel more comfortable letting go of the lever with a bit more wheelbase!

Husky
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 06:20 PM
When we talked on CO track day, I was going consistent 8.8-8.9 @ 164-165mph all day, so I should be right there at PMI as well if I can stick.

Stock gen1 busa is 17/40, I was 17/46 at bandi on CO track day and last Friday when I stretched the chain. I'm switching to 18/48.

Yeah SWB with that gearing even on a stock gen2 is no joke - I bet you'll feel more comfortable letting go of the lever with a bit more wheelbase!

I remember your 8 second run at Bandi, I think that was a personal best for you at that time. My 08 was stock with 18/43 and now 16/43 really made a difference. I am going to try and get some swing arm extensions over the winter and add about 6-7" to my wheelbase. I recently put on a air shifter and absolutely love it vs. foot shifting it. I will see you this weekend. I am going down on Friday and will be there Sat/Sun as well.

Hibs
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I'll be there at Pueblo this friday with my 12R. stock wheel base, just a few bolt ons. Hopefully I can run faster then your 08 Busa Husky ;)

servion
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I remember your 8 second run at Bandi, I think that was a personal best for you at that time. My 08 was stock with 18/43 and now 16/43 really made a difference. I am going to try and get some swing arm extensions over the winter and add about 6-7" to my wheelbase. I recently put on a air shifter and absolutely love it vs. foot shifting it. I will see you this weekend. I am going down on Friday and will be there Sat/Sun as well.

Was that you I was talking to throughout the day at CO track day last month? I thought it was, perhaps I have you confused with another guy with an 08 busa? If so, my bad :O

I was at CO track day last month and was running 8.8 to 8.9 all day long, very consistent (finally LOL), also 164-165mph all day long. Best is 8.8@164.97 on 8/8/11. I made a few airshifter tweaks as well since then (mps pressure switch to wait to trigger the WOT interrupt until the lines are pressurized) but I stretched by chain before getting a good pass out of it.

Did you have the air shifter on yet for your 10.0 passes? If not, I'm sure that will get you into the 9's! Are you using a kill box or doing it through the ECU?

I won't be there this weekend unfortunately :( Chain won't be in until next week. I'll definitely be there on the 18th though. This friday is the last friday night drag at PMI for the year :(

Husky
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Was that you I was talking to throughout the day at CO track day last month? I thought it was, perhaps I have you confused with another guy with an 08 busa? If so, my bad :O

I was at CO track day last month and was running 8.8 to 8.9 all day long, very consistent (finally LOL), also 164-165mph all day long. Best is 8.8@164.97 on 8/8/11. I made a few airshifter tweaks as well since then (mps pressure switch to wait to trigger the WOT interrupt until the lines are pressurized) but I stretched by chain before getting a good pass out of it.

Did you have the air shifter on yet for your 10.0 passes? If not, I'm sure that will get you into the 9's! Are you using a kill box or doing it through the ECU?

I won't be there this weekend unfortunately :( Chain won't be in until next week. I'll definitely be there on the 18th though. This friday is the last friday night drag at PMI for the year :(

Yup that was me, I had the black 08 and I had fun racing against you even though you went by me as if I was standing still even when I ran a 10.0 at 140mph. I did not have the air shifter than, just got it put on and not using a kill box but going through the ecu. I have the MPS set up but already had issues with the air valve so replaced it with one from a local company here and seems to work great. The new valve is a MAC valve from Fiero Fluid Power and only cost $18 vs. the MPS valve $60

Husky
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'll be there at Pueblo this friday with my 12R. stock wheel base, just a few bolt ons. Hopefully I can run faster then your 08 Busa Husky ;)

You probably will as I seem to be the red light king and with my bike carrying my 225lbs chunky butt I can only get it to do so fast

Hibs
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 02:37 PM
You probably will as I seem to be the red light king and with my bike carrying my 225lbs chunky butt I can only get it to do so fast

lol, on a test n tune night i usually sit there at the green for a few seconds anyways waiting till i have my launch RPM just right, so no worries about red lighting.

i'm hoping for a 9.9x here at altitude. bike was running 9.50's @ 150 back on the east coast.

servion
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 03:49 PM
Hibs, have you ran at a CO track yet since you've been here? That would be really really good if you could pull off a 9.xxx. You'll probably find that you'll have to launch at a much higher rpm than before (due to 30% less torque everywhere), usually .9 to 1.1 seconds slower n/a is about right for coming from sea level up to our thin air :(

Hibs
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 04:17 PM
Ya people have been telling me that. This will be my first time racing here. I've done a few things to the bike since it ran 9.50s... IMO it's good for a 9.3-9.4 back out at sea level the way it sits now. so we'll see how she does tomorrow! looks like it's going to be a nice day for drag racing!

Hibs
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 07:47 PM
Husky, what's done to your 08 busa?

Husky
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Husky, what's done to your 08 busa?

Its pretty much stock except for the -2 on the front sprocket

MilkMan
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Alrighty!! Called in sick to go racin again! See you guys down there tonight! If you see the BRIGHT ass yellow K7 GSXR 1K come say howdy! Will just be trying to get down into the low 11's with the stock suspension, still no strap and still stock height. Hoping the better, cooler air will help the bike make some more power.
-Mick-

Husky
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 04:14 PM
Alrighty!! Called in sick to go racin again! See you guys down there tonight! If you see the BRIGHT ass yellow K7 GSXR 1K come say howdy! Will just be trying to get down into the low 11's with the stock suspension, still no strap and still stock height. Hoping the better, cooler air will help the bike make some more power.
-Mick-

Sounds good Mick,
I am already here. I will be here for the Sat and Sun races as well. I think you will get into the low 11's here as its about 1000 feet lower altitude than Bandimere