PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Deer Crossing

Nooch
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hey all, my roommate and I decided to head out yesterday evening for a night ride and originally planned to head down 285 West from Morrison, but after debating for a bit we decided it might not be a smart move due to low light conditions and my own fear of hitting a deer or worse. So my question is, are there any other moderate Denver-area twisties that are still close enough to civilization that the risk of animals in the roadway is relatively low? I thought perhaps South Black Forest Highway? Im still fairly new to Colorado so Im not sure what to expect in terms of animal hazards. I don't think making venison was an intended purpose for my R6 lol! :tomato: Thanks!

salsashark
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:27 PM
My recommendation is to not hit up the canyons around dawn or dusk. These are when the local fauna is most active. It doesn't matter where. Anywhere the human population dips, the animal population swells.

If you're timing only allows going out during these times, just slow down and take it easy.

grim
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:34 PM
My recommendation is to not hit up the canyons around dawn or dusk. These are when the local fauna is most active. It doesn't matter where. Anywhere the human population dips, the animal population swells.

If you're timing only allows going out during these times, just slow down and take it easy.

+1 on my early am rides i always see deer on the side of the road but usually by the time im deep into the canyons the local deer have had their fill on food and what not and are headed back into the woods. If you ride at these times as salsashark said just take it easy. most of the time if they are on the side of the road they wont run from you they will just stand there so the next move can be pretty unpredictable.

Also be on the lookout for moose there are more around bearcreek and parmalee than people think and they will hurt a lot more than a deer!!

Sean
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:36 PM
In and around Boulder deer are always around. I had one run out in front of me at lunch time the other day. Instead of limiting your riding times, just ride at a level that allows you to react with evasive maneuvers if you need to. As Salsa said, during dusk, just turn your riding back a notch.

Other options:
- multiple deer whistles
- plow attachment for the R6
- shotgun/cannon mount on the front fairing
- only ride intoxicated (that way you won't feel the crash as bad)

(please read the "other options" section again, only with more sarcasm)

asp_125
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:41 PM
There are resident herds of deer and elk all around the Evergreen / Genesee area. Of course, Deer Creek Canyon isn't just a name they picked out of a hat. Mule deer around here have pretty much lost their fear of humans, and that makes them more unpredictable. Elk (other than the resident herds) usually stay away from civilization until autumn when they move down from the high country and into populated areas.

Nooch
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:42 PM
So daylight hours are generally less risky? Or is it just that I'll be able to see animals easier and evade them if necessary? I'm not limited to riding only at night and I dont plan to turn the mountain roads into my personal track. Ive just never had an animal encounter while riding and I hoped to get an edge on minimizing the chance of me clipping something sizeable. Being a Colorado newbie, Im still in baby-steps mode lol.

grim
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Other options:
- multiple deer whistles
- plow attachment for the R6
- shotgun/cannon mount on the front fairing
- only ride intoxicated (that way you won't feel the crash as bad)
-bring a knife with you so when you hit the dear you can skin it
-try not to think of the movie bambi

(please read the "other options" section again, only with more sarcasm)

you missed a few things fixed it for you

Sean
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:45 PM
Yes, deer like to move at dawn and dusk the most. Best thing you can do is be an attentive rider, don't ride over your abilities and wear the proper protective gear.

Sean
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:49 PM
you missed a few things fixed it for you
If you're going to bring a knife and skin it, you might as well pack some matches, a fork and some hot sauce too. :harrrrr:

grim
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 01:58 PM
a fork

:wtf: :no:

Nooch
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Is it also true that you should throttle through a collision with an animal? I think I read that in a thread I found via search and it kinda surprised me.

Sean
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 02:04 PM
:wtf: :no::slap: Some of us are civilized.

bulldog
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Deer Creek Canyon! :lol: Just kidding

brennahm
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the info guys! Is it also true that you should throttle through a collision with an animal? I think I read that in a thread I found via search and it kinda surprised me.

IF IMMINENT, yes, always throttle through a collision. YMMV

Jim_Vess
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Also remember, deer are stupid. If one is standing on the side of the road it will run out in front of you at the last possible moment. (This happened to me on P2P a few weeks ago around 11:00 AM. Fortunately, I saw her early enough to drop my speed way down).

Scatterbrain
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Yea gotta watch out they are dumb as hell and always go towards the light instead of away from it.

thankgod
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM
don't drive down 16thst Mall....you'll hit cows.

Nooch
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 11:14 PM
don't drive down 16thst Mall....you'll hit cows.

I lulz'd...:rolleyes:

Wrider
Wed Aug 24th, 2011, 11:37 PM
I had one run in front of me the other night... In the middle of Fort Collins, about 5 miles from the edge of town, and 1/2 mile from campus...

Sean
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 06:52 AM
Also remember, deer are stupid. If one is standing on the side of the road it will run out in front of you at the last possible moment. That's the truth! :banghead:

ihavealegohead
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 08:06 AM
I hit one at 2pm in the afternoon on my R6 (rip) -- they are active any time of day.

PunyJuney
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 08:14 AM
here's what it looks like (between 28-32 seconds on the clip)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZAjJ-g0UDw

Mother Goose
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 08:18 AM
DTC.... I don't think there are any deer there. ;)

Nooch
Thu Aug 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
:pointlaugh: