PDA

View Full Version : Direct Hit!

Bashed
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Yesterday as I was traveling home from the shop, I got took out by a toyota truck. I was it the right lane of a four lane residential street, traveling eastbound @ between 25-30 mph. Limit on this road is 35mph.
As I was approaching a five way intersection half a block away, I was just letting off the throttle to stop for the red light. As this point, a white toyota pickup who was stationary in the allyway proceded to enter the roadway. In the amount of time I said "OH F@#%", he hit me with his left front fender.

It was literaly that fast, less than two seconds. I had fingered the front and rear brake levers/pedal, but collided before application had made any effect on my speed. I was on my Adventure Wee-Strom and upon collision the handlebars were ripped from my hands as I flew over them impacting the cab of the truck and falling to the ground.

The individual driving the truck stalled and got out as I was cussing up the place as I was in considerable pain from both my hands and right ankle. A few moments elasped and soon I was surrounded by many people it seemed all concered for me lying in the road. I took inventory of my body, moving each limb and torso, figuring out where and what seemed to get injured. People were telling me to stay put, which I was, lying on my back.

The fire paramedic's arrived within I think less than three minutes, very quick IMO. We did the injured check from top to bottom, I then insisted they take my helmet off and let me sit up. I didn't pass out, and knew where, what, how and why, I was where I was. They were satified with the assesment, getting me up and over to the curb in the shade, on my own power. During this short walk I determined I stressed my ankle, both hands, wrists, and hit my head.

The bike was mildly trashed on the right side, the engine guards, bark busters, and footpegs took most of the impact. Ding in the tank from my foot going over the top, and a slight rash on the exhaust midpipe, and a broken right mirror. Not to bad for such a abrupt collision. The truck sustained three large dents from the bike and myself on the left front fended and door.

The guy who was driving the truck then started a story about he was not driving and the guy who was driving took off and was some day-type labor. Riiiiight. He kept coming over to me apolgizing for what happened, and how it wasn't him driving. Well the police finally arrived, and started gathering information for the icident report. Luckly there was two young guys that witnessed the whole thing and told the police the truth. Refreshing in these times were in.

Comes to find out, the guy had no license, no insurance, somebody else's plates on the vehicle, and was lying one lie after another. Needless to say, the truck got towed, which he called, which I thought was odd, to the impound lot. I know he recieved a handfull of charges, but I left to go to the emergacare before I found out if he went to jail or not.

I sustained a dislocated left ring finger, broken left hand, sprained right fingers, sprained right ankle, and mild rash on my knee's and elbows.
Today, the day after, I feel like I got beaten up. Pretty sore upper torso, back, neck and shoulders. These are what hit the truck, so I was expecting that. My left hand is swollen pretty good, due to all the trama of resetting the finger and the brokeness.

The reason I am retelling this to all of you is this, that shit happens that you will have no control over. Riding motorbikes exposes one to injury far greater than cars/trucks. I know everyone here realizes these facts. So I'm not gonna preach. Please minamise your exposure and wear your gear, pay attention, and above all, don't stop riding. The rewards are far greater than the risk's.

rybo
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Bash,

I was shocked when I got your message yesterday and very glad that the injuries are limited. Please take your time, fully recover and ride with us again soon. In the meantime if there is anything you need, don't hesitate, you have my number.

-scott

grim
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Glad your ok good read and great post Shit does happen that's the way it goes!

Did you ever find out if captain dip shit went to jail or not?

Spiderman
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Bash, I'm glad you're relatively ok & that it wasn't any worse. Heal up quick!

Sully
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:53 PM
:shock: Holy crap, Bash!!! Sorry to hear this. Glad you are doing relatively ok. Heal up quick.

birchyboy
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:56 PM
Wow, glad you're ok.

Ricky
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Wow, holy crap. Glad to hear you are ok... Uninsured motorists suck.

Sarge
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 03:59 PM
Glad you made it out ok, and without any road rash ;).
(Before anybody goes nuts about this, it was an ATGATT reference.)

To add to your original message, this is also why you carry FULL coverage on all of your vehicles. No license, no insurance, no legit paychecks to garnish... This way at least you still get taken care of.

Sean
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Bash,
That sucks. Glad you're alive. You are 100% right, sometimes, no matter how good we are, there's nothing you can do about a situation. Glad you were wearing gear. If there's anything I/we (the CSC) can do, please don't hesitate. Heal up man!

CaneZach
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Basher, I'm sorry you got beat up a bit, but glad you are relatively uninjured.

MisterDeadman
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 05:53 PM
Glad your injuries are minor, man. I hope your injuries stay minor and you heal up fast.

asp_125
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Wow.. heal up Basher, glad you're "relatively ok".

Apache62
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hope you heel quicc, that succs!!!

DemonRider
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Hope you heal up fast and get back on the Two!! hang in there ! PEACE!!!;)

Jason ON
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
Wow, Bash. I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse.

CaptGoodvibes
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Glad you're okay man! Seriously. Your tale tells a story of an experienced rider with skill getting hit and nothing you could do. I'm glad you were wearing gear and a helmet! Keep us posted.

Fernman
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 07:08 PM
I sustained a dislocated left ring finger, broken left hand, sprained right fingers, sprained right ankle. I hope all these injuries were on that fools (toyota drivers) face. :slap:

. good to hear you walked away from that collision.

Vehicle 1
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Fack... glad you are ok-ish man!!

Slo
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 08:09 PM
That whole situation sucks for you man....but Im glad it didn't turn out even worse.... Heal up fast man.

Matty
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 08:28 PM
glad you're alright buddy.....

sprtbkbabe
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 08:59 PM
With all the miles you've logged, it only takes a local jack-ass to knock you down. :mad:

Heal up Bash!

zPurpleRoom
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 09:21 PM
I'm glad to hear you are mostly unscathed. I love how this is under the "Riding Technique" section....as if to say..."if you are going to hit the side of a truck, ensure you inflict as much damage as you can to their vehicle" :D

Wrider
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Glad you're relatively ok. Heal up quick! Or as quick as an old man can!

Bashed
Fri Aug 26th, 2011, 09:55 PM
Thanks for all the well wishes.
I'm doing OK.
Hopefully I'll know after I see the ortho next week, when I can run a clutch again.
Keep the rubber side down, or at least the rear wheel.

Depths_of_Mind
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 12:15 AM
Dude.. glad you're alright and not seriously injured!

MetaLord 9
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 12:12 PM
Bash I'm glad you're injuries were limited and non-life threatening! You've got the mentality we should all have as riders. Heal up and get back on two man, if you need anything don't hesitate to ask!

TFOGGuys
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Glad to hear you're not beat up too bad. It's a little ironic that after all your adventures in Mexico that you get mugged by a Toyota in CS.. :wtf:

I'm not at all sure I'd have been able to not incapacitate the driver with a well placed "accidental" swing of the helmet, especially if he kept coming up and "apologizing" while lying through his teeth...:x

Ghost
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Wow, survive your clutchless adventure and get taken out at home, bummer man.

But, of course, glad you're mostly Ok...good luck with the recovery and everything else.

GixxerCarrie
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 08:08 PM
Crazy...Im so glad you are ok. Nothing surprises me anymore.

dallas
Sat Aug 27th, 2011, 09:08 PM
Oh, just walk it off you big baby!!!

J/k. It seems people have been driving like asshats lately.

See you at the shop tomorrow.

Devaclis
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 02:32 PM
Damn Mikey, you should stick to off-road! Glad to hear you are OK and that your man-love Dallas will be there to nurse you back to health.

Bueller
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
This is not good and it makes me very unhappy, hope you heal completely and well.

Nick_Ninja
Sun Aug 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Get well soon.

Squisha
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Good post. Thanks for sharing.

Re-affirms thoughts I often have about accepting the risks I take when I ride while doing my best to mitigate them wherever I can.

Double-checking my uninsured motorist coverage.

tecknojoe
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Sucks. Heal fast. Must have taken forever to type the story with broken hands

aerofaze
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wishing you a speedy recovery, Bash. Hope to see you back out there soon.

bornwildnfree
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Glad you're ok too! Next beer is on me next time I see ya!

Spooph
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Bashed got bashed by a-hole in need of a Bashing....

Sorry, couldn't resist...

Glad to hear you didn't end up in the ER! Thanks for telling your tale and offering a reminder. Hope you heal soon!

FZRguy
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 01:46 PM
Agreed, you can do everything right and still get hit. Glad you're not too banged up. Heal up fast Mike.

t_jolt
Mon Aug 29th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Damn Bash, let me know if you need anything.

Tyrel

Bashed
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Update 8/30/2011.........
Went to see the ortho doc today.
Good news is no surgury and or pins/plates are required. Yaaaa!!!!!
Bad news the finger that was dislocated and reset by the emergicare doc is not in it's place. He straightened it but did not reduce/put back correctly the finger. So I got to relive the experiance again today of reducing my finger back to it's normal postion, Yaaaaaa......NOT!
On top of that, it wasn't staying put so I recieved a cast to help keep it postioned correctly. Booooooooo!
3 weeks minimum till I get to ride.
I better not miss the fall colors on mt bike ,I will be insufferable.
Thanks for listening to me rant, back to your regular programing.
Bash

Spooph
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 03:27 PM
So, in which position did your finger get cast in? Oh please, oh please let it be....

McVaaahhh
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:03 PM
Gad you're relatively alright Bash, coulda been worse. :cheers:

Squisha
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Glad to hear no surgery!! I've heard it can be a long recovery process.

Will there be any lingering issues as a result of the failure of the emergicare doctor to reduce it? I hope not!! I'm sure you'll have no trouble remembering this incident without any "reminders."

-PUCK-
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 08:24 PM
Damn dood! I haven't been on here for 2 full years now, and this is the shit that I see when I log back in? Glad to hear it wasn't something more serious and that you will be riding again soon. You got my number, use it if you need anything at all bro!