PDA

View Full Version : 99 r6 overcharged...???

ShortyC_303
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 03:47 PM
coming back from springs one night my headlights and dash lights were flickering and gas light came on, gas was full. pulled over, check battery it was puffed up and smelt like burning sulfer. checked out bike today and starts right up by jumping it and seems to run ok with battery disconnected. gas light still on and mph climbs when i crank throttle while bike is in neutral and standing??? your thoughts?

Foolds
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 03:48 PM
Rectifer

DeeStylez
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Replace with a new battery being sure your possitive and negative cables are connected correctly. With the battery disconnected the bike isn't getting enough voltage which will make the lights flicker is my guess.

ShortyC_303
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
battery was connected just fine that night, like i said it started growing..any idea y gas light is on?

rybo
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 04:17 PM
battery was connected just fine that night, like i said it started growing..any idea y gas light is on?

No idea on the gas light, but it is a symptom, not the problem.

In situations like this you have to triage the bike - your first and biggest problem is the swollen battery - something went terribly wrong there.

I agree with JJ - the rectifier is probably toast and is overcharging the battery. Replacing the battery and not testing the rectifier is asking for another cooked battery.

There are several good posts on the internet about properly testing the rectifier output to make sure that your battery isn't getting slow roasted.

Once you have that solved you'll likely be able to pull the fault codes off the dash and see what you need to reset due to the overvolt situation.

s