PDA

View Full Version : Bike parking at LightRail

MisterDeadman
Tue Aug 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM
I know it's sacrelige to even ask, but I can do my homework on the train...

So, has anyone ever parked their bike at the lightrail station for a day while they're at work? I'm a little skeptical cause of theft/vandalism but I'm curious and I'd appreciate some input. I'd be riding to mineral two days a week, so it's not a high crime neighborhood. That said, theft isn't exactly something people expect to happen and there is crime everywhere. Besides, the alternative is to park downtown, which is waaay more sketchy.

Has anyone parked their bike to ride the train? Heard/experienced any horror stories about it?

thankgod
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 07:13 PM
I know it's sacrelige to even ask, but I can do my homework on the train...

So, has anyone ever parked their bike at the lightrail station for a day while they're at work? I'm a little skeptical cause of theft/vandalism but I'm curious and I'd appreciate some input. I'd be riding to mineral two days a week, so it's not a high crime neighborhood. That said, theft isn't exactly something people expect to happen and there is crime everywhere. Besides, the alternative is to park downtown, which is waaay more sketchy.

Has anyone parked their bike to ride the train? Heard/experienced any horror stories about it?

you'll be fine.....:eyebrows: cameras everywhere.

MisterDeadman
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 07:24 PM
you'll be fine.....:eyebrows: cameras everywhere.
I have to start looking around more cause I've never noticed them and I ride it with some regularity...

Thanks!

mdub
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 07:36 PM
get yourself a disc lock for more piece of mind. If you don't have one already.

MisterDeadman
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 08:24 PM
A lock is actually on my list. I will be making a trip to 303 cycle this weekend to try on some racing boots... I've got practically no legs so I've been rocking some HD boots I got from a family member - the thick soles help a bit.

asp_125
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 08:40 PM
I'd get a cheap beater bike that nobody wants to steal and ride that. Failing that, get a cheapo cover and cable lock, and park next to a more expensive bike. ;)

MisterDeadman
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 08:53 PM
I'd get a cheap beater bike that nobody wants to steal and ride that. Failing that, get a cheapo cover and cable lock, and park next to a more expensive bike. ;)

Hahaha! I like the way you think.

Nooch
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I usually catch the lightrail at nine mile, so I just park at the King Soopers on the other side of Parker until I get back. They have cameras and actual security guards. Ive also parked at the Colorado/I-25 station (near the platform) and had no problems. Not sure about Mineral, but I imagine a few minor precautions should help deter would-be thieves. And as far as disc locks, I don't think they're worth that much. My buddy had a disc lock on his bike and it got stolen. Thieves probably just threw it into a truck real quick and drove off. Cops found it 3 days later laying in a ditch by a railyard. Disc locks were still on. Thieves probably didnt notice the locks until they had already jacked it, and the damage to the bike when they dumped it off was about $2000. U-locks might be worth a shot, tougher to cut without a heavy duty bolt cutter and it keeps your bike from just being tossed into a pickup, but you have to have something to secure it to.

MisterDeadman
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Awesome. Thanks for the responses!

bulldog
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I parked at the Broadway station for over a year with my bike and never had any issues. I did use a motorcycle cable lock and secured it where it could not be picked up and moved. Scope out the mineral station and see if there is a spot to lock it up to if you are worried.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:28 AM
I park at the lightrail ALL the time. I have never had an issue. Lock the stearing, don't leave your helmet, park in a designated area for MC's, and use common sense.

Sean
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:33 AM
I'd get a cheap beater bike that nobody wants to steal
I park at the lightrail ALL the time. :think:

:idea: Buy a DRZ!

:slappers: