PDA

View Full Version : You want my what? G.F.Y !!!!!

ihavealegohead
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:06 PM
I've got my Gixxer listed on Craig's list (upgrading next year)

-- so this guy on Craig's list calls me, want's to see the bike. He's in Monument and want's to see it down there -- so I say 'ok' since my wife works in Monument and we can do lunch.

I get down there, he wants to take it for a quick spin down to the Wells Fargo and if all good he'll give me $6,300 for it -- I take his 2011 Camero with just a few thousand miles on it and follow -- I'm assuming it's not stolen, kinda dumb thinking back on it, but wth it's a fun car --

So we get to wells Fargo. He looks at the bike a few minutes and asks about the missing rear-sets. So I tell him I have a set at home and I'll ship it down to him later today.

He thinks it over, and mumbles some dumb shit about getting plates at the DMV next week -- Then, out of the blue he states that he wants my tags to remain on the bike till I send him the rear-sets.

I tell him there is NFW I'm going to let someone ride any bike with my tags on it. He mumbles some more dumb shit about wasting HIS time and walks off !!

WTH !!! Where do these people come from?

Sleev
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:18 PM
they're usually conceived from parents who met on Craigslist

mdub
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:19 PM
yeah man....they are all out there. He expected you to be dumber than him, but got all bent cause you are in the right.

asp_125
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:34 PM
Should've countered with I'm keeping your Camaro while you have my tags.

usmcab35
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:46 PM

^^thats what i would have done!

OUTLAWD
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 04:54 PM
when I bought my gixxer, the guy let me ride home on his tags, then I mailed them back...granted I didn't expect it from him, but it was either that, or arrange another time for me to go down with a trailer...

or maybe he just wanted my money before I found the stuff wrong with it...

ihavealegohead
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 05:00 PM
Monument is about the size of downtown Littleton -- he wanted my tags, but it wasn't to ride home.

grim
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 05:07 PM
when I got my zx6r I told the guy to take his plates and that I'd take my chances with the cops rode it from Littleton to Parker got pulled over showed the cop my bill of sale, motorcycle endorsement, title, and pointed out the mileage on the title and the bill of sale so he knew I wasn't bullshitting him. he gave me his card said ride safe and let me go!

mdub
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 05:22 PM
he gave me his card said ride safe and let me go!

.....I have a good collection of cop cards. alot of whew....!!!!???

grim
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 05:36 PM
.....I have a good collection of cop cards. alot of whew....!!!!???

I have two so far :lol:

Jmetz
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 05:59 PM
When I bought my 748 the guy let me use his tags to ride home. I ran 3 photo stop lights and e-470.

Think
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 06:23 PM
When I bought my 748 the guy let me use his tags to ride home. I ran 3 photo stop lights and e-470.
Well hey, it's great to have you on the boards!

grim
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 06:29 PM

Can't remember who you bought that bike from on the forum but if you did I bet they would have you tubed them beating your ass! :lol:

vort3xr6
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 06:30 PM
EDIT. Colorado allows you some time to ride it without tags just to get it home.

Enter purchase price and date.

After Hours Purchase C.R.S. 42-3-115(2)(b), C.R.S. 42-6-113 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=); A buyer of a vehicle may operate a vehicle on the highway prior to registering the vehicle when:

The buyer has purchased the motor vehicle within the last 36 hours from a person who is not a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
The vehicle was purchased either on a Saturday, on a Sunday, on a legal holiday, or between 5p.m. and 8 a.m.
The vehicle is being driven from the place where the seller stored the vehicle to the place where the buyer intends to store the vehicle.

The buyer must carry in the vehicle:

A bill of sale that identifies the vehicle by year, make and VIN and shows the time and date of sale and is signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Proof of insurance.

Jmetz
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 06:58 PM
Well hey, it's great to have you on the boards!

It's a package deal. I've been around before there was a board. :lol:

Can't remember who you bought that bike from on the forum but if you did I bet they would have you tubed them beating your ass! :lol:

We've boxed before, I know all his moves! :)

~Barn~
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 09:11 PM
300 million domestic box office Kyle. 300 Million.

Jmetz
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 09:42 PM
You're my boy Blue!

Yodannyc
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 10:36 PM
This. I don't know how many times I've had to explain this law to people.

EDIT. Colorado allows you some time to ride it without tags just to get it home.

After Hours Purchase C.R.S. 42-3-115(2)(b), C.R.S. 42-6-113 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=templates&fn=main-h.htm&cp=); A buyer of a vehicle may operate a vehicle on the highway prior to registering the vehicle when:

The buyer has purchased the motor vehicle within the last 36 hours from a person who is not a licensed motor vehicle dealer.
The vehicle was purchased either on a Saturday, on a Sunday, on a legal holiday, or between 5p.m. and 8 a.m.
The vehicle is being driven from the place where the seller stored the vehicle to the place where the buyer intends to store the vehicle.

A bill of sale that identifies the vehicle by year, make and VIN and shows the time and date of sale and is signed by both the buyer and the seller.
Proof of insurance.

SouthPaw
Wed Aug 31st, 2011, 11:57 PM

That would of made him think again.

On a side not almost ever bike I have bought the owners always just leave the tags on them? I never leave my bike with the tags on them but others do not seem to have a problem with it? Not sure why but I always end up pitching the old ones anyways.

ihavealegohead
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 07:39 AM
That would of made him think again.

On a side not almost ever bike I have bought the owners always just leave the tags on them? I never leave my bike with the tags on them but others do not seem to have a problem with it? Not sure why but I always end up pitching the old ones anyways.

I return them to the DMV --

The kid down the street was handcuffed on a car and put in the back of the cruiser while they sorted out which one of him or his friends were involved in a bicycle theft. What do they do when they get your tag from a high speed chase or violent crime?

GixxerCarrie
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I would never leave my tags on any vehicle I sold. I also go with to do title work right away. Someone totally screwed my mom over with an Ford we sold to chick. E470, Tickets, Fraud, as well as theft from that vehicle. Good thing I made her make copies of everything before the chick left. So it can get worse. Good Decision on your part. If someone wants it bad enough. They will do what it takes.

dm_gsxr
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 09:57 AM
In California, the tags stay with the vehicle. Perhaps you're dealing with an expat? :)

Carl

Maremare110
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 04:38 PM

Proof of insurance.

TRUE, but a former trooper informed me that it is illegal to operate said vehicle without the required minimum liability insurance. Does your current vehicle insurance cover your purchase while en-route? Just a thought...

GixxerCarrie
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 08:21 PM
Does your current vehicle insurance cover your purchase while en-route? Just a thought...

Most do...at least with full coverage. I always call my insurance ahead of time to make sure. If I'm spending 5-7K+ you can bet your ass I'm covering mine. If not give me a ticket. I'll show all of it when I show up for court, and they drop it.

Squisha
Tue Sep 6th, 2011, 06:53 AM
OHHHH....GFY! :D

To be on the safe side I have to interpret the law posted above to mean that "proof of insurance" means proof of insurance on the vehicle I just purchased. That whole "my insurance covers x, y, and z" thing is too scary to me to risk.