PDA

View Full Version : Brewing Beer.

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 11:22 AM
Anybody do it? I am going to start acquiring some items here over the next 2 months to start brewing.

Gonna skip the whole bottling bullshit and go straight to keg to make it easy.

In the next 3 months I will be acquiring the following.

-Bayou single burner with 60 qt stainless brewing pot
-(2) 5 gallon carboys
-Airlocks
-Kegerator
-Kegging kit
-Wort immersion cooler
-Extra fridge for fermenting
-Fridge temp controller

Anybody here brew that I can come watch the process one day?

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 11:29 AM
Talk to JJ, his girlfriend has been doing it for a while.

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 11:41 AM
JJ?

Sean
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 11:46 AM
JJ= Foolds on CSC

Foolds
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 11:56 AM
MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Sean
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
JJ's gf makes some tasty beer. :drink:

btw: If you need an amateur taste tester, let me know. :up:

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:22 PM
Taste testers will always be needed! :)

I need to either make my own mash ton or buy one. Haven't decided yet. JJ, when is she making her next batch?

Foolds
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:59 PM
She hopes soon... Her work has been nuts. I can help you with the kegging part too as I keg all of her beer as well.

she has a mash ton though I havnt seen her use it much as she hasnt been doing a lot of All Grain.. She does mostly partial mash batches

longrider
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:01 PM
Sorry, I cant give any advice on the brewing but I will be happy to help with the testing... :)

Keyser Soze
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:06 PM
Brewed a few IPA's, even did a Barley Wine. It's a lotta fun. Gonna bottle our Imperial Stout this weekend. Bottling isnt tough and it's another reason for a get together.

Foolds
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Brewed a few IPA's, even did a Barley Wine. It's a lotta fun. Gonna bottle our Imperial Stout this weekend. Bottling isnt tough and it's another reason for a get together.

Yes But Kegging is nice cause you can go from secondary to Drinking in 36-48 hours if you wish rather then 2 weeks =)

I just got a new toy for botteling its a Beer gun that bottles like a brewery does =)

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Yes But Kegging is nice cause you can go from secondary to Drinking in 36-48 hours if you wish rather then 2 weeks =)

I just got a new toy for botteling its a Beer gun that bottles like a brewery does =)

That's awesome! I just really don't feel like doing the corn sugar, store at perfect temp, wait 3 weeks, etc. Know any good places to get Kegs? I was looking at Kegconnection.com for a lot of the hardware and the shells.

I will probably make my first 2 batches out of Malt Extract so I don't have a lot of room to screw up. However extract is expensive so I want to move to all grain eventually. I am looking at the Gatorade cooler mash tun conversions. Pretty trick with good insulation.

Keyser Soze
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM

Very true, however I kinda like the wait. We brew on a fairly regular basis so they there's never a shortage.

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:01 PM
Where are you getting your ingredients from?

Also, have you made any cool clones?

Foolds
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:08 PM
bought my first local and my last two from this guy http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallon-Ball-Lock-Soda-Keg-Kegerator-Homebrew-Beer-Tap-/270800766569?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0cfbc669#shId

I run Ball Lock Kegs in my keg system.. I am set up to hold 3 kegs at once all with different pressures. So I can Carb one and serve 2 others ect... We like the beer store at 120th and Huron http://www.beerathome.com/

Ok Prices GREAT STAFF!

Keyser Soze
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:13 PM
Where are you getting your ingredients from?

Also, have you made any cool clones?

I'm out in Phoenix, there's a local home brew shop "What Ale's Ya"

The imperial stout we just brewed is an attempt at "Santa's Little Helper"
a seasonal from Port Brewing Company. Awesome beer! If you've never had it, keep an eye out come holiday season.

http://www.portbrewing.com/our-beers/santas-little-helper/

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:19 PM
Head to Papago Brewing Co. Awesome beers there. Thanks for the info. How do you keep your fermenting temp controlled in that heat?

Keyser Soze
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm a fan of their Hopfather double IPA. Havent tried much else from them. Girl I'm seein is a bartender over at Sun Up brewery. They have some killer cask beers...man I'm gettin thirsty!

As far as temp control, high electric bills and an AC unit that never shuts off. It'll be a lot easier come winter.

Foolds
Tue Sep 6th, 2011, 04:48 PM
Cat Wants to brew this week so vortex hit me up

drago52
Tue Sep 6th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I brew and bottle my own beer from time to time. I usually brew 3-4 batches a year since I'm not a heavy drinker. There's not much to it. Just make sure you clean and sanitize everything. If you get sloppy, you will have wasted 5 gallons of beer.