PDA

View Full Version : Less tickets save lives?

Ghost
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Town slams brakes on traffic tickets

A small city in Northern California has sharply reduced the number of citations, and the number of accidents there has dropped as well. Are tickets simply overused?

http://money.msn.com/auto-insurance/town-slams-brakes-on-traffic-tickets-carinsurance.aspx?GT1=33033

grim
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:35 PM
Technically The police handing out more tickets worked..

They said:

"Drivers received 1,317 traffic tickets in the first six months of 2011, compared with 8,236 during the same time last year"

So wouldn't that mean that people where thinking "oh i need to slow down because i got a ticket here last year"

bornwildnfree
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Wow, I wish every city in the nation would adopt that policy. Speeding tickets are just for revenue and don't do anything for safety. I'd actually take a vacation in that city just to support them for making this change.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:38 PM
I'm happy to see this perspective finally getting some attention from the media. I'm interested to hear CZ's or BC's opinions...:wait:

laspariahs
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 12:44 PM

They said:

"Drivers received 1,317 traffic tickets in the first six months of 2011, compared with 8,236 during the same time last year"

So wouldn't that mean that people where thinking "oh i need to slow down because i got a ticket here last year"

You are giving people way to much credit. Most people aren't going to get a ticket and then never speed again, they are going to get a ticket, and then keep doing what they do after a short period of time goes by. If punitive measures worked, there would be very little to no crime. Most people in the justice system are repeat offenders. Perhaps we should try giving rehabilitation a honest effort.

Also they didn't beef up ticket writing then reduce, they were giving a consistent ~8k tickets, then reduced to ~1k tickets.

McVaaahhh
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:13 PM
Good article.

Especially in these bad economies where local gov'ts are getting killed more than others, they are pushing moving violations to generate revenue.

Shit, here in Tucson the stop-light cameras (which also act as speed cameras) are a $300+ fine.

Ricky
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:14 PM

They said:

Not every person in the world has the same mindset. Personally, I told the last cop that gave me a ticket that, frankly, I didn't give a fuck about his ticket and that I'd just pay it and keep speeding like I always have. A ticket will not change my driving habits until I'm about to lose my license.

Besides, all these "statistics" can be manipulated in many ways to say whatever one wants them to say. I had a cop try to argue that traction control in more vehicles has nothing to do with the number of fatal accidents in the last few years dropping on a specific section of I25.

Nooch
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:31 PM
Traffic stops are really dangerous imho. They cause people to slow down and gawk at the scene, taking their attention away from the road. Reduce the number of pullovers and I could see how that might influence a drop in accidents. Especially going from 8k to less than 1.5k in the space of 6 months.

grim
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Not every person in the world has the same mindset. Personally, I told the last cop that gave me a ticket that, frankly, I didn't give a fuck about his ticket and that I'd just pay it and keep speeding like I always have. A ticket will not change my driving habits until I'm about to lose my license.

Besides, all these "statistics" can be manipulated in many ways to say whatever one wants them to say. I had a cop try to argue that traction control in more vehicles has nothing to do with the number of fatal accidents in the last few years dropping on a specific section of I25.

Fair enough

Keyser Soze
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
Good article.

Especially in these bad economies where local gov'ts are getting killed more than others, they are pushing moving violations to generate revenue.

Shit, here in Tucson the stop-light cameras (which also act as speed cameras) are a $300+ fine.

AZ is terrible. I've never seen so many cops and such a high crime rate.

rforsythe
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:11 PM
I had a cop try to argue that traction control in more vehicles has nothing to do with the number of fatal accidents in the last few years dropping on a specific section of I25.

Traction Control = that skinny pedal on the right.

Ghost
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:22 PM
Good article.

Yeah, I think it's an easy "tax" to get away with when you can't make revenue elsewhere.

Really, it'd be nice to have more places adopt this kind of attitude--give the cops the discretion to ticket where and when needed in place of a quota system (whether recognized or not) and let police go out and be a deterrent instead of a highway tax collector.

I'm glad this is out, but I doubt it'll ever catch on--it could save 10 million lives, but if that came at the cost of $10 in lost revenue it won't happen...

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:34 PM
^it's all about the Hamiltons.:p

Ghost
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:39 PM
^it's all about the Hamiltons.:p

Always is, safety, freedom, whatever else be damned...

McVaaahhh
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
AZ is terrible. I've never seen so many cops and such a high crime rate.

Very few cops here in Tucson. I know one of the locals, and he was telling me that they've had so many lay-offs they are basically just responders now, only answering 911 calls. He said drive as fast as you want because there's no speed traps or anything like that, just a couple of the photo-vans and the stationary speed traps at intersections.

I guess there were 100 motor-patrol cops (guys on motorcycles) a couple of years ago and now there's 10.

Keyser Soze
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 03:22 PM
Very few cops here in Tucson. I know one of the locals, and he was telling me that they've had so many lay-offs they are basically just responders now, only answering 911 calls. He said drive as fast as you want because there's no speed traps or anything like that, just a couple of the photo-vans and the stationary speed traps at intersections.

I guess there were 100 motor-patrol cops (guys on motorcycles) a couple of years ago and now there's 10.

Probably more Border patrol down there :lol:

McVaaahhh
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 03:27 PM
Probably more Border patrol down there :lol:

I see a few of those...

Funniest was getting stopped at a BP checkpoint. The BP officer had such a thick accent I could hardly understand her when she was asking if we were all citizens, etc. In my head I'm thinking "are you?". :lol:

CaneZach
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 05:49 PM
I'm happy to see this perspective finally getting some attention from the media. I'm interested to hear CZ's or BC's opinions...:wait:

Nope. I don't get involved in these conversations. I've learned on more than one forum over several years that they always devolve into a hatefest once other people get involved. One or two other people can have a civil discussion, but that's it.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 05:57 PM
^fair enough.
BTW, please don't feel like I was trying to bait you.

Ghost
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 06:00 PM
^fair enough.

But you're Master baiting?

CaneZach
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 06:02 PM
^fair enough.

Nah. If I thought you were baiting, I wouldn't have responded at all.