PDA

View Full Version : The Pigeons are coming!!!!

sprtbkbabe
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 08:41 PM
This is crazy!

Amazing survival of 50mph motorcyclist knocked out by low-flying pigeon… whose bike then accelerated to 140mph while he was UNCONSCIOUS

By Daily Mail Reporter (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/search.html?s=&authornamef=Daily+Mail+Reporter)

Last updated at 4:49 PM on 1st September 2011

A motorcyclist survived an extraordinary crash after he was knocked out by a low-flying pigeon, accidentally hit the throttle on his bike and accelerated to 140mph - while unconscious.

Matthew Brealy, 38, collapsed when the bird smashed through his helmet visor and shattered his glasses as he drove along a stretch of road.

But he remained on the powerful 1,000 cc Suzuki GSXR which was sent hurtling a further 200 yards before it ploughed into an oak tree.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/01/article-2032642-0DA99AB200000578-231_468x319.jpg Survivor: Matthew Brealy, 38, with his wife Emma. The motorcyclist survived an extraordinary crash after he was knocked out by a low-flying pigeon

The bike disintegrated on impact.

Mr Brealy, from Whittington Moor, in Chesterfield, suffered two skull fractures with bleeding to his brain, a broken leg, cracked ribs and a fractured hand following the crash in April.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/01/article-2032642-0D6A06BA00000578-774_233x349.jpg Flying menace: A pigeon smashed through Mr Brealy's helmet visor, shattered his glasses and knocked him out

He spent ten weeks in Sheffield's Northern General Hospital where his hand was re-wired and a titanium rod was inserted in his leg.

The veteran biker, who runs an electrical business, is now learning to walk again with help from his pregnant wife Emma.

He had been out with a friend and was travelling at around 50 mph on a road between Caenby Corner and Retford, in Nottinghamshire, when he was struck by the bird.

‘It smashed through my helmet visor and even smashed the lens of my glasses,' he said.
'I was doing about 50 mph at the time and the impact knocked me unconscious.

‘It appears that I collapsed on the front of my bike and at the same time I hit the throttle so the bike just accelerated out of control.

‘Police told me afterwards they estimated that the bike had gone from 50 mph to around 140 mph in a matter of seconds but thankfully for me it happened on a straight road which is why I probably didn't fall off the machine.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2011/09/01/article-2032642-0DA99AA600000578-616_468x316.jpg Recovery: Mr Brealy suffered two skull fractures with bleeding to his brain, a broken leg, cracked ribs and a fractured hand. He is now learning to walk again

‘My bike hit an oak tree with a glancing blow, I was thrown clear and the machine was smashed to pieces under the impact.

‘Police confirmed a pigeon was the cause of the accident. My visor was left with a hole in it and I was covered in pigeon blood and feathers.’

A farmer who came across the wreckage blocked the road with his combined harvester and paramedics treated the injured motorcyclist by the roadside for an hour before he was taken to hospital by air ambulance.

‘There's no doubt it was a bizarre, freak accident and I am aware that I am lucky to be arrive,’ he added.

‘I am 99 per cent back to normal but I have had to learn to walk again but with the support of my wife Emma, my family I was determined to get on my feet again and back to work.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2032642/Amazing-survival-50mph-motorcyclist-knocked-low-flying-pigeon-accelerated-140mph-UNCONSCIOUS.html#ixzz1WgitkMRd

madvlad
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 08:46 PM
Crazy, hope this happens to no one else.

Ghost
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 08:49 PM
I'm...not even sure what to say...fuck pigeons?

Wrider
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 09:14 PM
Pigeons = rock doves = flying rats...

Clovis
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 09:39 PM
You might be surprised how often we hit birds. I've had two strikes alone this summer but never anything like that, holy shit.

grim
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 10:09 PM
Bornwild can vouch for me when we were headed to cortez a bird kamikazieed right for my face and then bailed at the last possible second the damn thing was literally right in front of my face I don't know how it managed to dodge me!!

sag
Thu Sep 1st, 2011, 11:03 PM
probably wears a shark helmet now

FZRguy
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 12:55 AM
I hit a bird in Alaska....off the fairing and into my knee. Would have hurt if I had been wearing just jeans.

WolFeYeZ
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:13 AM
Wow, I am really glad he is okay!

On a different note... I think the accidental throttle sounds like bullshit. What gsxr1k goes 50mph on a very straight road in the country... I'm assuming he was actually going the 140.

This is crazy!

‘It smashed through my helmet visor and even smashed the lens of my glasses,' he said.
'I was doing about 50 mph at the time and the impact knocked me unconscious.

Ted
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 07:16 AM
Wow, I am really glad he is okay!

On a different note... I think the accidental throttle sounds like bullshit. What gsxr1k goes 50mph on a very straight road in the country... I'm assuming he was actually going the 140.

Mine does ! Some of them only run on 1 cylinder most of the time.