PDA

View Full Version : Guzzi V7 Racer

Spooph
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 01:48 PM
Anybody seen this... Very appealing as my next bike...
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/en_US/prodotti/naked/v7_racer/v7_racer/techinical_data.aspx

asp_125
Fri Sep 2nd, 2011, 04:02 PM
Yes verr-nice! Guzzi brings back the cafe bike.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Sweet-lookin' bike, definately different, and you won't see a lot on the road. Hopefully it wouldn't suffer from typical Italian un-reliability.

My buddy in OH had a early 2000's V11 Sport (4-valve I think) and with the full system it sounded suh-WHEET! But, he had some problems with it, though somewhat minor (although, he didn't own it long).

I hope you get what you want, whatever it is.

salsashark
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 01:31 PM
If I wanted a modern "cafe" bike, the Guzzi would not be on my list.

After demoing a Norge last summer, I'd take the 12K, and go buy a Thruxton or something else. The sales man summed it up perfectly by calling a Guzzi an Italian Harley... It's a lifestyle bike.

But hey, as with anything. If you like it... go for it... to hell with what others say!

aerofaze
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 02:08 PM
A conversation piece for sure! I can see you on it, Matt.

OUTLAWD
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 03:23 PM
<50hp, 5 speed, 18" front wheel, conv. forks, bias ply tires...$12k...neat but to each their own

when I'm in the market, I'll be picking up a used Thunderbird Sport

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 04:42 PM
<50hp, 5 speed, 18" front wheel, conv. forks, bias ply tires...$12k...neat but to each their own

when I'm in the market, I'll be picking up a used Thunderbird Sport
Hey, it's still a step up! :)

ChrisCBX
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 05:04 PM
Thats a pretty bike but its much more satisfying to build your own (if you gots the ability).

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:14 AM
Thats a pretty bike but its much more satisfying to build your own (if you gots the ability).
Spoophus Maximus seems to have the mechanical aptitude and eagerness to try. Now, if we can only get him over his penchant for soaking things in Pine-Sol........ :)

I think it's a great-looking bike, and if that's what he wants, he should go for it......but be wary of the reliability and parts availability issues.

brennahm
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I know we have some Triumph fans on the board...but at least this one doesn't look like it was welded by a 12 year old with Palsy. And that swingarm is SEXY.

All said, I don't understand purchasing something like this...it's a Harley of a different style. Paying for antiquated items at a premium. To each their own...

dirkterrell
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:51 AM
<50hp, 5 speed, 18" front wheel, conv. forks, bias ply tires...

One thing I love about motorcycling is the variety of experiences one can have. Having a knee skimming the asphalt at 100+ and full throttle on a 125hp race bike is a blast. Riding on rocky trails at 11,000 feet, seeing the history of the state with your own eyes on a dual sport is a blast. Riding 600 miles in a day seeing all sorts of beautiful scenery on a sport-tourer is a blast. Zipping along in the hills on a 50hp, 18" bias-ply'd Guzzi, listening to one of the best exhaust notes I have ever heard on any machine, would, I'm betting, be a blast. Spooph, if she lights your fire, go for it, man. That right there is what motorcycling is all about.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 08:57 AM
once again dirk is the voice of wisdom...

Well put, sir!

:)

Spooph
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:15 AM
All good points.

To the nay sayers: The Guzzi is the perfect vehicle (http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Vehicle-What-About-Motorcycles/dp/0393318095/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316099554&sr=1-1)

Jeff, Dirk and Chris, you guys get it!

Thanks Sarah.

Monkey.... :gay: When I start the cafe build, you can come over and supervise, making sure I stay far away from pinesol. Oh, BTW, pinesol is NOT what destroyed those seals.... Everything is brand new in both breaks, and same issue.... But tha's a different thread.

Bueller
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:21 AM
My wifes son was seriously looking at this, and even got approved for the loan. He wants a house more at this point so he didn't pull the trigger on it but he had the dealer down to $10k.
I ride odd underpowered bikes that sound cool so I get it.

asp_125
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
Dirk <- gets it.

Every bike has it's personality. My dirt bike is less than 1/4 the hp of my street bike, yet it is a ton of fun off road. The track bike is perfect for track days, but not so much fun on the street.

If I had the means I'd add a cafe bike to the stable, and a sport tourer, and an adventure bike, and a SuMo and .....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 11:07 AM
All good points.

To the nay sayers: The Guzzi is the perfect vehicle (http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Vehicle-What-About-Motorcycles/dp/0393318095/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1316099554&sr=1-1)

Jeff, Dirk and Chris, you guys get it!

Thanks Sarah.

Monkey.... :gay: When I start the cafe build, you can come over and supervise, making sure I stay far away from pinesol. Oh, BTW, pinesol is NOT what destroyed those seals.... Everything is brand new in both breaks, and same issue.... But tha's a different thread.

Here's the problem with your "brakes", they're BROKEN! :) I'd be happy to help. I could even design some bracketry for you in 3D, so you could have 'em machined.

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I def like the look of it but I'm on the fence about the new, production cafe racers.

The idea of the cafe as it's come to be understood today, is more of taking an older bike and modding the hell out of it, mostly for performance sake (as was what the original cafe racers were), and a little bit for looks. To me, the draw of the cafe is to take a piece of motorcycle history, craft it with my own two hands, and ride it like the wind. new, production cafe racers can imitate the cafe look and they bring a much greater amount of performance to the table, but the soul of the bike just isn't there. It's like a new, production model classic car or hot rod. Sure any one can buy one out of the box, but it's just not the same thing.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:40 PM
I def like the look of it but I'm on the fence about the new, production cafe racers.

The idea of the cafe as it's come to be understood today, is more of taking an older bike and modding the hell out of it, mostly for performance sake (as was what the original cafe racers were), and a little bit for looks. To me, the draw of the cafe is to take a piece of motorcycle history, craft it with my own two hands, and ride it like the wind. new, production cafe racers can imitate the cafe look and they bring a much greater amount of performance to the table, but the soul of the bike just isn't there. It's like a new, production model classic car or hot rod. Sure any one can buy one out of the box, but it's just not the same thing.
Dunno about that, some bikes even new, have "soul". I think if you form a more emotional attatchment with a machine that just a respect for it's performance, then it has "soul". I won't say my Gixxer is "soulless", but it's definately the "silent partner" for me on my rides. I didn't buy it strictly for it's looks or sound, but performance. some people happily trade some of one for more of the other. I think it's a cool bike, and if he gets it, hope it's reliable.

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:43 PM
Fair enough, but I'm talking specifically to the kind of soul or quality that separates a vintage cafe racer from a fresh off the line production bike

Devaclis
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Not a cafe racer.

Too heavy
Too much shit on it
Comfy seat? WTF!

Strip 75 lbs off it, take off all the extra shiny crap, eliminate that nasty guage cluster and it will be part way there. As it is, it is a good looking bike and I am sure it is a blast to ride. It ain't no cafe racer.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Fair enough, but I'm talking specifically to the kind of soul or quality that separates a vintage cafe racer from a fresh off the line production bike
That's called "patina"...... :)

But, I get where you're coming from.

Bashed
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 05:45 PM
I have been lusting after a Guzzi Stelvio for a few months now.
Not very light for dirt duty, not very fast for street duty.
But it sure makes me want to go ride, and thats all that matters.

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/Moto%20Guzzi%20Stelvio%201200%204v.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 06:22 PM
I have been lusting after a Guzzi Stelvio for a few months now.
Not very light for dirt duty, not very fast for street duty.
But it sure makes me want to go ride, and thats all that matters.

http://www.maxmoto.co.uk/images/Moto%20Guzzi%20Stelvio%201200%204v.jpg
Well said, the PERFECT attitude. That's why we ride, is it not?

asp_125
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 06:40 PM
That's called "patina"...... :)

But, I get where you're coming from.

Patina:

Balancing carbs
Chasing electrical gremlins
Leading shoe drum brakes (Flintstone brakes)
Hunting for NOS and unobtainium parts no longer in production for the last 30yrs.

.. yeah, patina.. ;)

There are bikes that build "character". Then there are bikes that start right up, have disc brakes, and use modern tires. :D

But given a choice between a running, sorted out Norton Commando and a new Thruxton, I'd take the Norton any day.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Patina:

Balancing carbs
Chasing electrical gremlins
Leading shoe drum brakes (Flintstone brakes)
Hunting for NOS and unobtainium parts no longer in production for the last 30yrs.

.. yeah, patina.. ;)

There are bikes that build "character". Then there are bikes that start right up, have disc brakes, and use modern tires. :D

But given a choice between a running, sorted out Norton Commando and a new Thruxton, I'd take the Norton any day.
Don't forget setting/filing points, cleaning fouled plugs, checking ignition advance, etc...... :) All that fun stuff done on the side of the road. In the rain. ;)

Me, while I love seeing the old iron, would never want to own one unless I already had a dozen or so reliable ones already. So to me, a modern one with more power and reliability, while having classic styling, would be far more appealing. To each their own though.

Ghost
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Neat. Not my style, but neat.

FWIW, my cousin spent years building a CB400 and then a CB750 into "modern" Cafe Racers (including front disc brakes and radial tires) and I thought those were two of the coolest bikes ever. If I got the itch for a cafe, I think I'd go that route...

Ghost
Sat Sep 17th, 2011, 12:10 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2589426176.html

Tasty