PDA

View Full Version : Valve adjust - do it yourself or leave to the pro's

iam4u2nv
Fri Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:28 PM
I need to do a valve adj. on my 2000 GSXR and after unwillingly repaceing my rear tire (damn nails) I am straped for cash for a while. I would call myself a ok/good mechanic but dont need to f@#k anything up.
So how hard is it really, should one do ones self or leave it to the big dogs?
Has anyone here done one on this style motor (96-2000 GSXR 600)
and willing to help for beer and pizza (dont forget I'm in thse springs)?

Lurch
Fri Jun 3rd, 2005, 03:34 PM
It's not hard just time consuming. Though if you get the cams in wrong your in trouble. Suzuki's have pretty much bullet proof valves so I would doubt you even need to adjust them. Checking them is pretty easy you may just want to try that and go from there.

Lurch

Mista Black
Fri Jun 3rd, 2005, 04:12 PM
i have absolutely zero mechanical apptitude. seriously ZERO!! and i just did my own. valves aren't that bad really (unless they're Desmo valves). (and in my case really not all that time consuming since the valve covers are sticking out the side of my freakin bike :lol: )

Desmo
Fri Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:27 PM
Josh... get the service manual or go to a GSXR forum and ask how to do them.. and I can help you doing them.. I dont think it will be to hard.. just make sure you reserch it before getting in over your head..

Should be a fun project..

PharmerKyle
Fri Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:45 PM
i have absolutely zero mechanical apptitude. seriously ZERO!! and i just did my own. valves aren't that bad really (unless they're Desmo valves). (and in my case really not all that time consuming since the valve covers are sticking out the side of my freakin bike :lol: )

It's kind of like comparing farm machinery to a Swiss watch... don't you think? My Beemer is easier to work on than my lawn mower :lol:

FZRguy
Fri Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:51 PM
I adjusted the valves (all 16 of 'em) on my FZR. It’s certainly not in the "fun" category, but not difficult if you have a manual and take your time.

FZRguy
Sat Jun 4th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Here are a few valve adjust tips that could save ya some grief:

1. I didn’t check the valves on my FZR til 19k and did not adjust them til 25k. Valve clearance will usually get tighter, not looser, with engine wear. You can hear a loose valve, but you have to check for too little valve clearance. All my valves had too little clearance at 25k.

2. The worst thing you can do is drop a bolt, dowel pin or anything into the crankcase. Wire the cam chain to the frame and use clean rags to prevent anything from falling into the case or spark plug holes.

3. Cam timing is really no big deal...the timing marks either line up at TDC or they don’t. Same with the cam caps. They are marked...get them right or cam seizure is in your future.

4. The cam chain tensioner has a spring loaded bolt that is a real bitch to install with the tank on the bike. It’s less brain damage to just pull the tank to have access to the tensioner than to work in the very limited space with the tank installed.

Have fun!