PDA

View Full Version : HPR in early October

sbgixxer
Sun Sep 4th, 2011, 10:31 PM
I'm hoping to get out to HPR for my first track day in CO since moving here. I hear, depending on the year, October can be the end of the season but I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.

Just wanted to see if anyone was looking at the early October track days (3rd or 7th).

:cheers:

trinitypowder
Mon Sep 5th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I'll be there-wx permitting!

sbgixxer
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 02:54 PM
You're not going both days, are ya? I'd prefer the 7th but I guess we'll have to see what mother nature will be serving up for us.
:wait:

trinitypowder
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Probably the 7th since I'm doing the 26th in Sept. But, I might just make the 3rd too! I'm also in for the 17th.:silly:

sbgixxer
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:36 PM
Nice, you're all over the place. Do you live nearby or just a super track junkie?

trinitypowder
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:14 PM
I'm over in Berthoud..............and yes, I have a track addiction and the end of the season is near!! That being said, I can't wait to bust out my snowmobile!

sbgixxer
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 11:50 PM
I hear ya on that. I'm really hoping the weather cooperates.

I've been snowmobiling several times in Tahoe...and that's some great fun too. What are you running? This may be old news but I hear one of Yamaha's has an R1 based engine? That must be nutty!:o

Wrider
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 12:54 AM
I hear ya on that. I'm really hoping the weather cooperates.

I've been snowmobiling several times in Tahoe...and that's some great fun too. What are you running? This may be old news but I hear one of Yamaha's has an R1 based engine? That must be nutty!:o

Heh that's very old news!

Now they're running a triple 4-stroke that they're extremely proud of. Turbo it 12 PSI or less, and 150 shot of nitrous or less, and it's still under warranty!

sbgixxer
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 01:03 AM
I haven't been on one in probably seven or eight years and clearly don't follow it too closely. But yeah, 150hp on the snow sounds like a blast. I know the few I've ridden weren't anywhere near that.

trinitypowder
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM
The Yammies go like stink, but they are HEAVY. I have an 860 BB Ski Doo XP. 860cc two stroke twin with 175 hp. It weighs 480 lbs full of gas. So, power to weight wise, it's not quite as fast as my CBR:idea:

sbgixxer
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 08:20 PM
HPR made the decision for me. October 7th was cancelled so, I'm shooting for the 3rd for my first HPR visit.

Does anyone know what the daily track rental fee is for a non-team, non-tune rental? I see that a test & tune is $2400 but no cost is listed for a private rental. Just curious if anyone has tried that and just charged to attend to make up the $$$ needed.

UglyDogRacing
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 08:28 PM
why are you trying to do a private rental when you can go to a motorcycle lapping day on either 10/3 or 10/9 for $150 for a full day?

sbgixxer
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 09:28 PM
I DO plan on doing the October 3rd trackday. It's not that I'm necessarily trying to do a private rental, just inquiring. I'm new to track riding in CO but in CA it was done to keep costs down while also not having a 100 rider field. For my $150 I have no idea yet how many riders I'll be sharing the track with.

Bueller
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 09:46 PM
This ain't California :)

UglyDogRacing
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I DO plan on doing the October 3rd trackday. It's not that I'm necessarily trying to do a private rental, just inquiring. I'm new to track riding in CO but in CA it was done to keep costs down while also not having a 100 rider field. For my $150 I have no idea yet how many riders I'll be sharing the track with.

So what you are saying is you are willing to rent the track yourself and then try to get enough riders to get the cost down to a minimal amount per rider, such as a track day organization like Chicane does. Problem is your on the hook if you don't get the turnout to cover the rental fee, ambulance,etc. If you're financially well-off then it's not a big deal. Not too many of us can afford paying a couple grand for a track day. I makes an HPR Lapping Day or Chicane Day a much more sensible choice.

Not sure what tracks in CA you are talking about but I rode Fontana, Willow Springs and Buttonwillow while I lived out there and you couldnt get on any of them unless it was a race weekend or when a track day organization rented it. Infineon and Laguna are the same. I would imagine Thunderhill works the same way.

sbgixxer
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 10:45 PM
I'm not saying I want to do anything...just trying to get a little more information. As I understand it, Chicane is the only one who actually rents the track out and has an organized track day. Their days seem few and far between at HPR. For now I AM going to do one of the less organized "open days" but am just looking for more information. There IS a difference between Chicane days and "open lapping" as far as organization, right?

As for the CA tracks, I usually did Willow Springs or Button Willow. It is possible to rent both tracks out (like the track day organizations) but wasn't necessary because the track day organizations had very frequent showings. They provided rider's meetings, had food available, and most importantly had medical staff on hand and a little bit of organization as far as track entry, crash assistance, red flags, etc.

Asking these questions and having a few other interested parties is usually how these track organizations come to be.

Ghost
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:04 AM
I'm not saying I want to do anything...just trying to get a little more information. As I understand it, Chicane is the only one who actually rents the track out and has an organized track day. Their days seem few and far between at HPR. For now I AM going to do one of the less organized "open days" but am just looking for more information. There IS a difference between Chicane days and "open lapping" as far as organization, right?

Asking these questions and having a few other interested parties is usually how these track organizations come to be.

Chicane is Rybo's baby, and he runs 1-2 track days a season, this year it was 2. Chicane days are organized and run much like NESBA days or other organizations' track days where the organization rents the track and provides amenities for the riders.

HPR opens the track for Open Lapping Days, it's not a separate organization. Open Lapping days are not as organized as Chicane, there's no lunch, no tire support, no 3 session division--there may be Fast and Slow groups if needed, but otherwise it's just a hot/open track all day.

HPR also rents the track if you wanted to get the $$ together and do it--same as most any other track I've ever been to.

tecknojoe
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:10 AM
If you are worried about having a huge field of riders...

Last lapping day, there was maybe 10 people total on the track at one time. Completely empty

sbgixxer
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks Ghost and TecknoJoe, that's the type of info I was looking for.

I wonder why Chicane only does 1-2 track days a year at HPR. Not enough demand?

Ghost
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks Ghost and TecknoJoe, that's the type of info I was looking for.

Np.

You'd have to ask Rybo, but my guess is that there's not enough demand for available dates.

Most weekends HPR is tied up with racing or club events (by the founding clubs such as Porsche, etc.), so that leaves very few free weekends.

And, while there are tons of open/un-rented days during the week, the number of potential riders who can do a trackday on a weekday are too few to host a full Chicane event...

But, again, that's just my guess.

flyingmonkey
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I'm hoping to get out to HPR for my first track day in CO since moving here. I hear, depending on the year, October can be the end of the season but I'm crossing my fingers for good weather.

Just wanted to see if anyone was looking at the early October track days (3rd or 7th).

:cheers:

Sunday 10/9th is definately on my schedule depending on the weather.

sbgixxer
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 08:11 PM
I might be able to pull a Sunday instead of Monday the 3rd. I was figuring Monday would be better because of a smaller field...but again, I really have no idea what a Sunday HPR day will attract. Either way, I can't wait to get back on the track. It's been far too long.

Ghost
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I might be able to pull a Sunday instead of Monday the 3rd. I was figuring Monday would be better because of a smaller field...but again, I really have no idea what a Sunday HPR day will attract. Either way, I can't wait to get back on the track. It's been far too long.

A bunch of us are heading out for HPR on the 26th of Sept, why not join us?

flyingmonkey
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 08:25 PM
I think Sunday could be a good day to ride.
I am sure the attendence would not be an issue on the track.

I would like to take some time off from work but I unable to do it.
I am always looking for weekends avaiable to ride at the track

sbgixxer
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Ghost: I heard about that and I'd REALLY like to make it then but it's like my second day coming off of night shift and I'm gonna be tweaked. I don't want my brain mush to be any issue while I'm there. It's been long enough since my last track day, the rust will be enough of a challenge.

Monkey: I'll definitely give that Sunday some thought. Are you going alone? Renting a trailer? Doing a full or half day?

Bueller
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 06:29 AM
The labor day date became available so Scott scooped it up because everyone was clamoring for another day, then he had a hard time filling it up, and even then it wasn't a sell out by any means.

On open lapping days there is never a huge crowd and rarely do they even do sessions. It is a big track and it can handle quite a few bikes at a time but I have never seen it "crowded".

gsxridiot
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 06:32 AM
i hope to make it on the 3rd

sbgixxer
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 10:35 PM
I'm leaning more towards Sunday the 9th now....if weather cooperates. Actually I'm going to do whichever day has less of a chance of precipitation and/or cold. If they look about the same, I'll do Sunday.

trinitypowder
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Im there next Monday for an afternooner:D

sbgixxer
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 10:08 AM
The weather is looking good for both days. I'd love to do both but can't afford it at this point so I'm still shooting for Sunday.

Kitten
Sun Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:39 PM
Anyone going tomorrow?

Foolds
Sun Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:40 PM
Anyone going tomorrow?

Cat And I Are +1 Dingo

Kitten
Sun Oct 2nd, 2011, 05:44 PM
Good you can show me how it's done!

Foolds
Sun Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:30 PM
Good you can show me how it's done!

Yes.. Slow.. Bad Form.. and so on.. Check! School is open but remember to bring your teacher an apple

Kitten
Sun Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Red delicious?

Foolds
Sun Oct 2nd, 2011, 07:35 PM
Red delicious?

I prefer an Ipad 2 64gb with 3g Please

trinitypowder
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:32 PM
Good day at HPR. It was still a touch warm, but not to shabby:D

Kitten
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:43 PM
Great day! It was great to get the new ninja 250 race
Bike out for it's maiden voyage. Unfortunately it was my first and last ride of the season.

sbgixxer
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 09:57 PM
C'mon what about Sunday? The weather is supposed to be in 60's. "flyingmonkey" and I will be there. Unfortunately it'll probably be my first and last of the season too.

Bueller
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 04:55 AM
I have a punch card with (2) 1/2 days left on it and I don't think I am going to make Sunday so I would like to sell it. $150

flyingmonkey
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Sunday is looking good so far.
I am sure it will be a cold morning session but I think the afternoon will be warm enough to get some good lap times.

C'mon what about Sunday? The weather is supposed to be in 60's. "flyingmonkey" and I will be there. Unfortunately it'll probably be my first and last of the season too.

sbgixxer
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 08:16 PM
Does that mean you're doing a half day?

flyingmonkey
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
full day.
I am sure is going to be cold in the morning, I am planning to arrive between 8:30am and 9:00am
I am praying for good weather.

Does that mean you're doing a half day?

sbgixxer
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 10:08 AM
You and I both.

jgixxer1
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Weather showing AM scattered showers with a high of 57. I don't mind it being a little cool, but please, no rain.

sbgixxer
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 12:07 PM
I'm with you on that. If the forecast remains the same, I may only do half a day. The bummer of it all is that Monday is going to be perfect: 68 and 0% chance of rain. :scream2:

Bueller
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 12:23 PM
It's looking like I will be coming for the afternoon session after all.

sbgixxer
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 12:35 PM
If you still have the one or two half-day passes, I may buy one from ya if the weather doesn't get any worse.

Bueller
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I was planning on going but I just looked @ tomorrows forecast and it is not looking very good. My little carbed 250 doesn't like the cold very much and I am in no mood to rejet it so I may wait for a better day, or maybe just bring the street bike out. Who is actually still going?

sbgixxer
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I'm not sure, I just saw that the high is going to be 56 and there's still a 20% chance of showers. DAMN! If I go at all, I'll probably be paying at the gate since it's so hard to tell what the weather is going to be like.

Bueller
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 08:35 AM
Just looked @ the calender and the track is going to be closed last week of Oct. all of November and part of December so I guess I will be going this afternoon so I can use up one of the punches. sb if you pay @ the track it will run $100 if you want to hook up with me for the second punch it will save you $25.

Bueller
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Turned out to be a pretty nice day, although the mercury struggled to hit 50 the track was in great shape and presented me with no traction problems. We ran the North course for the first two hours and after a warm up session it was fairly easy to figure the configuration out. The new turn 4 was a little tricky to start with but after a bit the speed picked up and when you dumped out into 9a you could really carry some speed through there down into 10.
That last 2 hours went back to full course. I took the 650r out on some relatively new BT-016's and it rode great. Much better than I thought it would, it is an extremely fun bike and does surprisingly well with the oem crap suspenders on it. Last session I turned on the lap timer and came up with a 2:10.

It was fun to see and chase a few others out there, on a better than expected day.

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Riding/89db675f.jpg

Reyven
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Agree with Bueller on the weather. It was a little chilly, but the sun poked out here and there. Altogether, not a bad afternoon at the track :)

sbgixxer
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 04:17 PM
The last motorcycle day before repairs at HPR is Monday the 17 and the weather (so far) appears to be perfect. Crossing my fingers that it'll stay that way.

Kitten
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Might try to make this one too.

Bueller
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 06:55 PM
I still have a half day punch left $75

sbgixxer
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Kitten: Sounds good. I'll definitely be there as long as the weather doesn't go down the toilet again.

Bueller: If I end up doing a half day, I'd be interested. However, if it's warm enough in the am, I'm going to do a full day. I'll keep an eye on the forecast.

Kitten
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 10:41 AM
I'm pretty much waiting on weather...I will probably only do the afternoon.

sbgixxer
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM
I'm either going to do the afternoon session or a full day, again, depending on weather.

trinitypowder
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'll be there for an afternooner:loop:

sbgixxer
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Sweet, good to see there will be a few members there. :up:

Bueller
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 09:18 AM
Well looks like I am going to request the afternoon off from work so I will be there.

mopoet178
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I'll make it for the morning session. I have at least 1 half day punch left for sale for $75.
-Marsh

sbgixxer
Thu Oct 13th, 2011, 02:13 PM
Since Bueller is going, I'll take one from you.

PMed

mopoet178
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Does anyone have a generator I can mooch some power from in the morning? I would gladly gas it up for you.

-Marsh

trinitypowder
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 06:49 PM
I have one for sale? Or you can mooch off of mine................if you were doing an afternoon session!

sbgixxer
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Just wanted to make triple-sure that I don't need to tape over my head/brake lights. Also, is there a tech-inspection of any kind before you go out?

Other than that, I hope to see some of you guys out there on Monday. I'll be in a Maroon FJ cruiser and riding a yellow/black R1.

Bueller
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
No tape needed except on mirrors (glass) if they aren't removed, please disconnect brake/tail light and headlight as they are distracting to other riders. No tech inspection but be sure to make the riders meeting, especially for first time @ track. It will be 15-20 min. before track goes hot morning & afternoon.

http://www.highplainsraceway.com/pdf/HPR-Lapping-Day-Policies.pdf

We'll see you out there! I will be on the loud 250. #999

sbgixxer
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Already done. I'm going to get there around 11:30 or 12 and for sure make the rider's meeting.

Bueller
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Weather looks like it is nose diving, I am going to see how it looks tomorrow but I may sit this one out if it is wet in the am.

Kitten
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I will be there a full day, although I might wait until later to actually ride...come on Bueller let's do this.

Matrix
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Plan to be there in the afternoon as well if the weather holds. Will take a look at 10 AM to make the final call.

Kitten
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 08:52 AM
And the weather screws up a good day...

The GECCO
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Due to wind, rain and cold temps (and two crashes) we have canceled today's motorcycle lapping day as of 9:05 am

sbgixxer
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 09:45 AM
:x:x:x #($*&%#$&* Weather!!!

Bueller
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Due to wind, rain and cold temps (and two crashes) we have canceled today's motorcycle lapping day as of 9:05 am

Damn! The sun just came out in Arvada, it was starting to look like it was going to be a doable afternoon :(