PDA

View Full Version : Oil Sucks Ass!

Davy4575
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Trashed my beloved R1. Was breaking pretty hard for a light, Not too hard but enough. Last thing I remember, the clip-ons went all the way to the left, the ass end of the bike swung to the right. Appearantly it slid and caught again on the dry pavement. Highsided on the right side. This happened quickly enought that I never even put the hands out, no damage to hands and elbows. A friend and I went back to the scene the next day and noticed a copious amount of oil in the spot that I lost it at.

I had a decent MotoGP jacket on, a recent (less than 2year old) dot and snell approved helmet (scorpion) on, Good full lenght boots (just work boots), jeans and a belt on. The Jacket of course lifted up a bit, so some good rash on the hip. Ground the belt into the skin, and a smatering of rash on the knee and legs. Fractured my right shoulder blade, brusied my right lung, suffered a hell of a concusion inspite of the decent helmet (was out for about 15 minutes).

The bikes controls are fucked, the frame-sliders on the right side are shot, the plastic on the right side is shot. This stuff is all replaceable. I restored the bike to begin with when I got it.
I however am not as easy to replace. The important thing is, wear decent gear, trust your instincts and make the decision. I hesistated in this situation, I had some friends following me and didnt want to loose them at the light. My gut told me to just go throught the light and stop at the other side. For a change I ignored that.

oh and to add insult to injury the cops gave me a careless driving ticket. Nice of them to take statements from me when I didnt even know what my own name was, much less who my friends were, what day it was, where I was, etc.

Heres to hoping Ill be healed up enought to do PPIR. love that track.

usmcab35
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:07 AM
sucks to hear! hope you heal up quick and hope it doesnt happen again!

Bueller
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear dude, hope you heal well (and quick) then get the bike back together.

bornwildnfree
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I honestly would fight the ticket if there was oil on the ground. Did you take pics?

Sean
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:32 AM
That sucks man. At least you're okay (more or less). That's really lame about the ticket.

asp_125
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Damn, Davy. 15min is a long time to be out. Careful of any secondary concussions in the meantime.

Slo
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 09:06 AM
That does suck, and I know what you mean about hesitating, I have done that on a bike and in cars at one point or another.

As much as everyone would like you to be at PPIR, make sure you are healed up well....

Sully
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
That sucks, Davy.. sorry man... Heal up quick!

brennahm
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Sucks to hear, hope the wounds heal quickly.

FWIW, I have heard that if there's a crash, then a ticket will be issued (almost a policy). Not saying don't fight it, just don't take it personally.

spideyrdr
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 12:39 PM
I didn't know you got knocked out like that! That is some scary shit, my friend. Glad you weren't hurt worse.

I wonder if there was also some water on the ground. If it was near a stop, maybe someone's A/C dripped on the oily area which really would be slick. In any case, get yourself healed up!

Davy4575
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:18 AM
I got pics of the oil or hydralic fluid or tranny fluid.What ever it is, its all over my front tire and on the rear too. Rechecked with the doc today. She put the kabosh on riding much less racing for the next month, she dosnt want to risk another concussion. No lingering effects from the mellon being banged up aside from nasty headaches. Probably all that being dropped on my head as a baby helping there. Surely temping to turn the R1 into a trackbike.

sprtbkbabe
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:16 AM
She put the kabosh on riding much less racing for the next month, she dosnt want to risk another concussion. No lingering effects from the mellon being banged up aside from nasty headaches.

:puppy: Totally understandable though. Hope you heal quick Teamie

Surely temping to turn the R1 into a trackbike.

:twisted: It's gonna be a long winter. If you need help, let me know!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:49 PM
Sorry to hear it, heal up fully and soon, and good luck fighting that bogus ticket.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Shit man, that's bad news. Heal up fast and give PPIR the what not for!!

kawasakirob
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Yeah man bad news. Hopefully you"ll be healed up quickly in no time. With the ticket issue... Big brother knows best! Duh...j/k.

mopoet178
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Ouch dude tough luck! Heal up quick so I can keep giggling every time bike #420 flies past my corner.

Ol'Skool
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 04:27 PM
Take pictures, go to court, fight ticket. If you have a good driving record and no other vehicles were involved you will probably do better than just "accepting" a careless driving charge.

deadline
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 11:11 AM
I actually talked my way out of the ticket in a similar situation last year. I run a red light coz I was coming in a bit hot, started to brake and it was not happening fast enough so instead of stopping or falling in the middle of intersection I just run through it. Got pulled over, calmly and politely explained to the cop my odds and my choices in that particular situation and she(girl cop) just let me go.

If I were you, I would collect as much information as you can(take pictures, calculate your braking distances and all that) and bring all that in court. If you present it well, they will dismiss the ticket.

Davy4575
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 01:26 AM
Old dead thread, but...They threw the case out of court. they subpenoed the wrong officers :) Ordering the fairings for the bike this week. Missed the rest of the season. Heads finally healed.

Wrider
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Good to hear on all counts!

madvlad
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Nice dude, wish I would've been that lucky on my court date lol almost got held in contempt that day fighting that ticket. I was livid!... but glad to know things are on the right track and in time for the season

sprtbkbabe
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:09 AM
That

Is

AWESOME!

+1,000 for #420 :up:

Ghosty
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:15 AM
Glad you came out relatively ok, wish you a speedy recovery! Hope you took pictures of the street and oil stains there too, not just on your tires. Good luck fighting the ticket, shouldn't be too hard with the right pics. Let us know how it goes...

spideyrdr
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
Right on!

Ghosty
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Oops, didn't read the entire thread, congrats!

bulldog
Tue Mar 6th, 2012, 08:50 AM
#420 huh......:siesta:
I remember once on Loveland pass a group of us were riding and the truck in front of us had something break and shot oil all over Matty's and my bike. Got on our wheel and brakes and was a bit scary for second, but we got through it ok.

Davy4575
Wed Mar 7th, 2012, 12:22 AM
I never even saw this one coming. Didnt know what happened. Girl I was dating at the time was behind me in a car and watched me wreck. My buddy stopped by the site and saw the oil. Could I have prevented it? maybe, soft hands make for faster laps...may have been too hard on the brakes, I just dont know as I have no memory at all of it. riding one minute, next thing I knew im in an amb-a-lance, and then the next thing i know is a nurse jambing a big ass needle in me. I have my helmet in the living room, everytime I think about riding, I look at it and thank god I had it on.
no 420 for this kid, lol. 12stepper.

Aphrodite
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 11:28 AM
Yay!! Sucks you had to give a ticket a thought in the first place, but glad it all turned out.

bulldog
Fri Mar 9th, 2012, 11:33 AM
I never even saw this one coming. Didnt know what happened. Girl I was dating at the time was behind me in a car and watched me wreck. My buddy stopped by the site and saw the oil. Could I have prevented it? maybe, soft hands make for faster laps...may have been too hard on the brakes, I just dont know as I have no memory at all of it. riding one minute, next thing I knew im in an amb-a-lance, and then the next thing i know is a nurse jambing a big ass needle in me. I have my helmet in the living room, everytime I think about riding, I look at it and thank god I had it on.
no 420 for this kid, lol. 12stepper. I think my buddy Hoopty had 420 at one time...but he participated at that time.

Such a waste of a good number for someone who doesn't appreciate it....lol...jk man!