PDA

View Full Version : Lane Position

stubbicatt
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 07:57 AM
I learned a valuable lesson this morning.

On the way to work on Southbound I-25, in the left lane, driving with the flow of traffic, a cager in a pickuptruck changed lanes literally right on top of me. I gassed it and swerved slightly to the shoulder there between Downing bridge and Colorado Boulevard to get around this fool.

If possible, be in either the far right or far left lane to allow for inattentive drivers, and have an escape route.

Reflecting on this, I am glad I avoided my gut instinct to squash the brakes, and instead used my momentum to assist me here. I am glad I had a clear mind and did not panic, as I hate to think what would have happened. I also began to think that maybe I should drive my cage to work, but, upon reflection, if this had happened while driving my truck, I think I would have collided with this maroon.

Sean
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:15 AM
If possible, be in either the far right or far left lane to allow for inattentive drivers, and have an escape route.I don't think it makes a difference if you are in the far right, far left or middle of the lane, drivers will still not see you. IMHO the only answer is to be everywhere in the lane. And yes, have an escape route at all time. For me, one of the biggest things, is always being in a place where the drivers can see me. NEVER be in the blind spot. And just be as attentive as possible.

Bueller
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:21 AM
I have never preferred one side to the other by default, I will adjust depending on the situation. Much more important to me is the "head on a swivel" technique.

grim
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 08:25 AM
Much more important to me is the "head on a swivel" technique.

Best advice i ever learned when i was on the Flight Deck of the USS Harry S. Truman The Airboss said it every morning and i say it to myself every time i get on the bike!!

"Keep your head on a swivel"

Ricky
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I prefer to be on the far right side of the left lane. That way people in at least 2 lanes can see me. I do not like to hang out in the middle lanes for long.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 10:46 AM
On the topic of lane positioning, these should cut out some of the redundancy:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35039

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35366

06R1
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 10:50 AM
No matter which lane I am in, I try to make eye contact (side or rear-view mirrors)with the driver in front and to the side(s) of me as I come up on them and like has been said keep my head on a swivel.

mdub
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I do love my mirrors. I keep my distance from all vehicles. I have had soo many close calls but that is just my experience keeipin me outta trouble. Just last week I almost got side swiped but a semi....almost did a 60mph endo to let him get in front of me....

Wheezy
Wed Sep 7th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I always tell my self before i get on my bike.... There is someone out there that is going to try and kill you today keep an eye out for them.

MisterDeadman
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 11:33 AM
I always tell my self before i get on my bike.... There is someone out there that is going to try and kill you today keep an eye out for them.

Sometimes it feels that way. I tend towards the edges of the outside lanes if there's a shoulder, but being attentive is the only real way to not get run over.

When I'm in town I usually scope out the cars next to me at lights to see if people are on their phones. They might (correctly) think I'm wierd, but it beats getting suprised.

mountbell
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 12:40 PM

Wheezy, I like that. I'm going to use that......sounds like a good mantra to keep me looking for these fools.

FZjake719
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I typically cruise in all lanes for traffic, keeping an eye out for dirvers heads to suddenly scan their mirrors or glance toward another lane of traffic, that tends to cut down on the surprise significantly. It does still happen from time to time, but usually this way Im prepared for it, somewhat anyway. If traffic is heavier than usual, I'll typically stick to the left lane, where my only real threat is people coming over from the center lane or pulling out of a turn lane. To me (prob just a mental thing) it seems far easier.

My dad always told me growing up "Ride like you're invisible, NOT invincible. Always assume drivers cant see you or arent paying attention, because usually they arent!" and it always kind of stuck with me. Riding with that mindset alone has helped me avoid more than my share of irratic, blind drivers and situations that couldve ended with me as a fancy stripe on the side of a car or hood ornament.

Wrider
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 06:02 PM
There's a saying I like that goes "Don't worry about the bullet with your name on it, worry about the one addressed: To Whom it May Concern". Perhaps we can change it to cage instead of bullet?

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Don't forget, head on a swivel, anticipate what the idiot might do.

http://youtu.be/hxKF0IDh0As

grim
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Do you always have your gopro on everywhere you go?

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Do you always have your gopro on everywhere you go?
Pretty much. I wear it on my commute to and from work, just in case something bad happens.

Wheezy
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 09:14 PM
I like your Idiot09 one..... That has happend to me so many times.

FZjake719
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Pretty much. I wear it on my commute to and from work, just in case something bad happens.

Thats actually a very good idea. Hard to deny video evidence in the even an insurance company tries to screw you out of compensation post-wreck.

I should get one too!!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Glad you're ok Greg. I hate seeing stuff like this.

I generally stay to one side or the other of a lane, awa from whatever side has a cage in it so it can give me that extra split-second to react. I'll ride in the middle of the lane when I've got cars on both sides. I typically like the fast lane, and stay over to the left near the shoulder. That way, I've only got a moron on one side of me. You can do everything right, be as visible and audible (loud pipes save lives!) as you can be, and still get hit by some idiot.

Be safe out there guys.