PDA

View Full Version : Fay Myers Parts Department

rybo
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 07:43 AM
Since my trailer got stolen I've been doing a lot of shopping and replacing of most of the stuff that was in there. Along the way I've been offered some really tremendous deals from various shops and companies to help get me back racing, it's been greatly appreciated, but sometimes comes with pitfalls.

Along the way I've also been helping a friend in Oregon (Jim) get started in riding on the track. We sourced a trackbike and then discovered that his helmet was many many years old.

So I ordered a new helmet from one of the places that's really been helping me out for him. It was a Shoei RF1100, which was a brand and model that the shop doesn't usually carry, so it was a special order. The part came in on Friday, and it was the wrong size. Jim was planning on doing the trackday at HPR on Monday, so I had a real problem.

A quick call to Paul (longrider) at Fay Myers and my concerns were eliminated.

Paul confirmed that they had the correct size in stock, and then offered to trade me helmets since the one I had was unused. When I arrived Paul already had the new helmet set aside for me, completed the transaction quickly and thanked me for coming in. I purchased some other accessories from him at the same time, as it was only appropriate to do so.

I didn't buy the first helmet from them, in fact due to the fact that I live way up north I'm barely in Fay Myers these days, but they took excellent care of me anyways.

If you live in the Denver metro area I encourage you to give Fay Myers a shot - they are a locally owned business that carries a bunch of inventory. If you need it they probably have it in stock. On top of that my experiences there show that they deliver excellent customer service.

Three thumbs up!

bulldog
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Paul (Longrider) is a great guy and always takes care of customers :up:

taikahn
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Yeah, great service at Faye, for maybe 1 in a million customers, let's just say you got lucky.

bulldog
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Yeah, great service at Faye, for maybe 1 in a million customers, let's just say you got lucky. No, he just dealt with the right person; Paul :D

rybo
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:09 AM
Yeah - I got lucky I'm sure, I've only been shopping and around in the community for the last 10 years or so, and every time I've gone there I've gotten pretty good service.

That and Bulldog seems to have had a decent experience there - so I guess that's 2 in a million....

Sean
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:12 AM
3 out of a million, now. I had a good experience buying a bike and parts, does that make it 4?

taikahn
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:14 AM
No, he just dealt with the right person; Paul :D

Totally. That always makes the difference.

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Parts have always been good to me, service department is another story. :shock:

Ezzzzy1
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I like Fey... If you know what you want and you dont have to talk to anyone its great!

grim
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:34 AM
I havent had any problems with fay. Hell they have squeezed me in for a tire change when they were busy as shit and should have charged me more to pull one of there guys to do it for me!

Devaclis
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Parts at Fay has been pretty good to our family. Kudos to Paul for the help :)

taikahn
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM

It was sales and parts that sucked for me. Never tried service.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:59 AM
Some people just complain about everything.

Ghost
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:07 AM
Never had a bad experience, but like any restaurant or other service, it all depends on who you get, some people are better than others.

But, on the whole, Fay is typically much better and more professional than your average shop...

rforsythe
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I can't speak to Fay service since I have done my own work for years, but recently a friend's new and very expensive Italian mistress ate a piston 50 miles on the clock after purchase. Fay showed up with a truck after hours, picked up his ride, took it back, and had a brand new bike (not the repaired one he already paid for) in his hands the next day. I've also been having good experiences there and have no issue giving them my money. They had a rocky couple years some time ago, but recognized it and have made sure it doesn't happen again.

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Paul has always gone out of his way to help me out...even met him once on his way home from work to pic up a part that I paid for over the phone :up:

UglyDogRacing
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Great to hear more positive than negative feedback regarding Fay's. They do alot for the motorcycling community and local racing (both roadrace and moto-x). As with any business, sometimes things don't go right. If your not happy with how you were treated at Fay's, escalate it to a managers attention.
Glad to see this thread didn't get derailed by negative one-sentence responses with no supporting rationale from a 3 month old member with 50 posts.

Kitten
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:23 AM
I've always had good luck with Fay!

Ezzzzy1
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM
These "shop experiences" threads should be auto locked after the first post... Apparently sharing your not so perfect experience at a perfect shop is not possible.

I would say however that if a shop wanted to pay me money for riding my motorcycle (or give me discounts) I would probably defend them without knowing what happened every time.

rybo
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM
These "shop experiences" threads should be auto locked after the first post... Apparently sharing your not so perfect experience at a perfect shop is not possible.

I would say however that if a shop wanted to pay me money for riding my motorcycle (or give me discounts) I would probably defend them without knowing what happened every time.

Ezzzz-

Fay didn't pay me, they just took good care of me last week, and I thought the community should know about it.

Furthermore - my "good" post is a fully written, with supporting facts kind of thing. The "not so perfect" experiences shared in this thread are one line sniper shots.

Got a problem with the service you got at a shop? Make a thread, post it up, write a story about what happened and what you would have liked to see be different.

"XYZ shop sucks" is not a shop experience review - it's a sniper shot that invites people to disagree with you, shoot you down and defend the shop. It also doesn't give the shop owner who's reading this forum anything to work with (and many do read it).

After you've tried to resolve an issue with a shop write a review - maybe they fixed it, maybe they didn't, the community likes to know and so do the managers and owners of the shops. Tell the whole story - give supporting facts and evidence, provide some method of resolution that would have been acceptable to you.

Yes, it takes more time than saying "xyz shop sucks", but if you want me to consider shopping somewhere else you're going to have to give me a better reason than that.

s

UglyDogRacing
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:53 AM

I disagree. You should be able to share your shop experiences whether they are positive or negative. However, if you have what you feel to be a negative experience, elaborate on why you believe it be negative. Too often someone posts up this forum that a local shop sucks but they don't elaborate as to why. That is why my previous response included "negative one-sentence responses with no supporting rationale". If you had a bad experience, tell us why.

Ghost
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:55 AM

I think a lot of people just have stupidly retarded expectations that no shop can ever match.

Case in point--I was at Fay, waiting to pick up my bike late on a Saturday, some guy comes in with his bike on a flatbed, obviously having just thrown it down the road, and he starts demanding that the service writer look at the bike immediately and get it fixed so he can go on his ride Sunday with his buddies.

Really? You think you're that important? Especially in summer when there's usually a 1-2 week wait time for the shop?

And, this is more than typical--idiots thinking their shit is the most important thing ever and it all needs to be done yesterday when the reality is that a shop only has so many techs, so many hours, and can only--literally--do so much.

But, of course, that doesn't stop the idiots from going online and spamming about how miserable their service was--neglecting all the relevant facts...:jerkoff:

Matty
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 09:56 AM

Talk to Adam in the service department... he has helped me out with the Duc a couple of times now. Super chill dude.

rforsythe
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:13 AM

This is an online (and offline) community of riders. As such, threads tend to generate comments when someone makes a polarized statement about something with which many of us have experiences. Welcome to the Internet.

Fay sponsored this club some years ago. That didn't prevent me or anyone else from calling them out when it was warranted. One of the main features of this particular forum is that we encourage candid discussions, regardless of affiliation. This in turn encourages shops to monitor and participate in this area of the site, making local businesses better for everyone here.

And FWIW, Fay has offered a standing discount in their parts department for CSC members for around a decade now, regardless of people posting up that they had a bad experience. Despite some of our members getting fairly vocal about various things, they've always helped us out (other shops have eliminated those programs when their negative press wasn't filtered in the interest of cheaper commerce). Some food for thought.

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Talk to Adam in the service department... he has helped me out with the Duc a couple of times now. Super chill dude.
It was last year for my tune, so I don't plan on going back.

Here's what happened with mine, even though Jim already knows about it.... I went in to have my bike tuned when Clarkie was working there. That's all I went in for. As the service guy and I were walking out the door, I mentioned to him to tell Clarkie that I'm going to need to get my plugs changed soon, so if the numbers aren't quite right, that would be a good reason why and I'm planning on changing them that week. (I had just bought spark plugs from Grand Prix on our way down there.) The service guy wrote it down on his sheet. Kris and I go have lunch, do some running around, then head back to the shop and wait.

They let us know when it's done and told me the price, which was WAY over the quoted price for a dyno tune. The service guy told Clarkie to CHANGE MY PLUGS! I never told him to have them changed, he just wrote it down and told him to do it. Kris is pissed, I'm pissed, I even bring in the plugs to show him that I was going to do it myself, and why would I have them change it, if I had just bought a set?? Going back and forth with the service guy, he's getting mad at me saying that I had told him to change them, and that I had signed it off. So I ask him to take the plugs out and put back my original ones so I'm not charged for them. He laughs, I sit there serious about it. I don't want to pay for something that I didn't ask for. So finally, after going back and forth for about 10 minutes, he only charges me for parts for the plugs. I'm still not happy, because money was tight at the time, and I had enough saved for just the tune, and I bought the plugs with a gift card.

So that's my experience with Fay's service department. I only went there because I would only trust Clarkie to tune my R1. I think if he ever went back to work there, I wouldn't go back to Fay. Or at least not give them any info on what I need to do to my bike.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Ha... Rybo, I know that they did not pay you. Ugly, right on. Ghost, not everyone is like that and rforsythe, I was kidding about the auto lock that doesnt exists. I was just painting a picture of how its pointless to let people comment, these all turn out the same.

rybo
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM

Here's what happened with mine, even though Jim already knows about it.... I went in to have my bike tuned when Clarkie was working there. That's all I went in for. As the service guy and I were walking out the door, I mentioned to him to tell Clarkie that I'm going to need to get my plugs changed soon, so if the numbers aren't quite right, that would be a good reason why and I'm planning on changing them that week. (I had just bought spark plugs from Grand Prix on our way down there.) The service guy wrote it down on his sheet. Kris and I go have lunch, do some running around, then head back to the shop and wait.

They let us know when it's done and told me the price, which was WAY over the quoted price for a dyno tune. The service guy told Clarkie to CHANGE MY PLUGS! I never told him to have them changed, he just wrote it down and told him to do it. Kris is pissed, I'm pissed, I even bring in the plugs to show him that I was going to do it myself, and why would I have them change it, if I had just bought a set?? Going back and forth with the service guy, he's getting mad at me saying that I had told him to change them, and that I had signed it off. So I ask him to take the plugs out and put back my original ones so I'm not charged for them. He laughs, I sit there serious about it. I don't want to pay for something that I didn't ask for. So finally, after going back and forth for about 10 minutes, he only charges me for parts for the plugs. I'm still not happy, because money was tight at the time, and I had enough saved for just the tune, and I bought the plugs with a gift card.

So that's my experience with Fay's service department. I only went there because I would only trust Clarkie to tune my R1. I think if he ever went back to work there, I wouldn't go back to Fay. Or at least not give them any info on what I need to do to my bike.

And that right there folks is how a shop experience review is written!

Ghost
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 10:58 AM

Sounds like a lot of miscommunication, service writers tend to be busy and this one may have been inattentive as well, but really, I only ever tell them exactly what needs to be done and nothing more.

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a lot of miscommunication, service writers tend to be busy and this one may have been inattentive as well, but really, I only ever tell them exactly what needs to be done and nothing more.
I was the only one in there. :lol: But yeah, learned from that one, for sure.

taikahn
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Apparently I am the "sniper shooter" since I posted the one liner.

Here's what happened both times.

Once, went into the parts department, I stood at counter for a bit, I was walked past and ignored quite a few times, lot's of trying to get their attention. So I gave up and went out to the parts sales floor to try and find it myself, I knew I wouldn't find what I needed (old school replacement levers for a cb/sl) ... hence why I wanted to ask them if they could order them, etc... anyway, I headed back to counter after not seeing them on the sales floor, once again I waited as people left for lunch, walked by, looked at me and turned around, etc... just basically ignored me, had to move to a new part of the parts counter to get help, finally I get someone to "talk" to ... he basically laughs at what I am looking for and says "good luck".

Second time, I should have known better too.... I went in looking at the new cbr250r, was told they didnt have any, left my info, a couple months later when all the local dealers started getting there second shipments of them they emailed me and offered a NON abs model at 5299$ (thats a 1300$ MARKUP FOR NO REASON) -- said that demand warranted the higher price. Also refused to let me test ride something "I clearly wasn't going to buy." --- so I immediately called up sun, got on one, test rode it and bought it for 1.9% apr and an MSRP of $3999 and half off the dealer fees. Sun did me right.

Clear enough? Not one line enough?

longrider
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you all for the positive reviews, your support is much appreciated. It definitely is our number one goal to provide a great customer experience. When that does not happen I can only emphasize what others have said - let us know about it so we have a chance to resolve it. Talk to me or any of the other managers and we will take care of it!

Mother Goose, at this point a year later I can only apologize for what happened. It sounds like a simple miscommunication escalated into something it never should have. Once it was clear you had not asked for it we should have just taken it off the bill, laughing at your request was not right. If you are willing to give it another try we will take care of you.

Regarding the service department in general it is absolutely true that a few years ago there were issues and service was not the best. However we have been working very hard to correct that, both on the front end dealing with customers and in back with technician training. Without trying to turn this into a sales pitch, I will simply say that we have attained top certifications from all the brands we sell, an example of the commitment is we sent two techs to Italy to become Ducati Master Technicians.

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Young Luke
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I can't speak to Fay service since I have done my own work for years, but recently a friend's new and very expensive Italian mistress ate a piston 50 miles on the clock after purchase. Fay showed up with a truck after hours, picked up his ride, took it back, and had a brand new bike (not the repaired one he already paid for) in his hands the next day. I've also been having good experiences there and have no issue giving them my money. They had a rocky couple years some time ago, but recognized it and have made sure it doesn't happen again.

If I recall, it was just over 15 miles on the clock when it puked and left your friend on the side of the road 3 miles from home just in time for a nasty thunderstorm to downpour - after the shop was CLOSED. Sales guy answered his cell, scrambled to find a delivery guy that was not exactly in the area who was heading back to home base, and had him detour to the disaster. He picked the bike and wet rider up, dropped rider at home and they took care of bizness with a brand new bike as you described. I've since bought a generator there, lots of other stuff, and had a number of excellent service visits and warranty issues taken care of. Can't say enough good things.

McVaaahhh
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I've always had good experiences in Fay at the parts department, and even the sales department even though I never bought a bike there... :up:

I did have a bad experience with the service department, but as that's probably 5 years ago now, definitely not worth details, and it sounds like things have changed in that department.

Fay has always been open to supporting the club, and bike nights, and the MC community in general. If I still lived in Denver, I wouldn't hesitate to shop there. :cheers:

ChrisCBX
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 04:25 PM

I had a very similar experience at a dealer back in Ohio, many years ago. I had a similar reaction to paying for spark plugs twice. Especially when my dealer charged me 3 times what I had paid for the exact same plugs. Thats about the same time that I started getting more serious about doing more of my own maintenance.

If I recall, it was just over 15 miles on the clock when it puked and left your friend on the side of the road 3 miles from home just in time for a nasty thunderstorm to downpour - after the shop was CLOSED. Sales guy answered his cell, scrambled to find a delivery guy that was not exactly in the area who was heading back to home base, and had him detour to the disaster. He picked the bike and wet rider up, dropped rider at home and they took care of bizness with a brand new bike as you described. I've since bought a generator there, lots of other stuff, and had a number of excellent service visits and warranty issues taken care of. Can't say enough good things.

I like reading this since I'll hopefully be buying a new Tuono from Fay soon.

derekm
Thu Sep 8th, 2011, 08:12 PM
I bought a a* wallet from P diddy to replace my worn fox wallet. After getting home I realized it didnt have the existing amount of storage as my old wallet!!! I stopped in a few days later with my receipt and was able to exchange it for a clean ass white troy lee hat!!!
In all seriousness though Paul is the only guy I will deal with at Fays. Its hard to find people at mc shops that actually give a damn about the customer and have knowledge... or will take the time to investigate if they're not 100% sure!

(ps the above wallet/hat tale is true :)

FZRguy
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I worked a part-time job at Fay in the Finance Dept back in 2003. A fair number of their staff is still there eight years later. I think that says something.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I worked a part-time job at Fay in the Finance Dept back in 2003. A fair number of their staff is still there eight years later. I think that says something.

Except A-dub and Jessica!

Mother Goose
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 08:36 AM
Mother Goose, at this point a year later I can only apologize for what happened. It sounds like a simple miscommunication escalated into something it never should have. Once it was clear you had not asked for it we should have just taken it off the bill, laughing at your request was not right. If you are willing to give it another try we will take care of you.
You've always been cool, so the parts area is a place I would go to again, I wouldn't go out of my way, since I live in Arvada, but you know what I mean.

I was hoping he'd take the whole thing off, but he wouldn't budge. He said that I signed it off, so I have to pay for it. Even though he wrote it down after I had signed and we were walking out the door to show him where my bike was. I don't remember the guy's name, but I remember his face.

FZRguy
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Except A-dub and Jessica!

Jess was a brand new noob then. Good to see she stuck with it. I think Joe and some of the other salesmen have been there forever.

Ghost
Fri Sep 9th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Jess was a brand new noob then. Good to see she stuck with it. I think Joe and some of the other salesmen have been there forever.

Joe? Dude, what about Gary? He's been there since Fay himself ran the place...

Ezzzzy1
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 01:26 AM
"Now you have a friend in the motorcycle business: . Just off Arapahoe road on Dayton Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open every night Monday through Friday 'til 8. Saturday and Sunday 'til 5." :lol:

vort3xr6
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 09:50 AM
+1 fay parts. Paul had gone out of his way multiple times to help me.

longrider
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 09:59 AM
"Now you have a friend in the motorcycle business: . Just off Arapahoe road on Dayton Street, one half mile east of I-25. Open every night Monday through Friday 'til 8. Saturday and Sunday 'til 5." :lol:

If you are going to modify their slogan at least get our hours right :) Tues - Sat 9 to 6 :) ;)

I have always thought being next door is a good thing. (This is just a personal comment and not as a representative of the store) Not so much for making the sale but for the buyer. Imagine this conversation:

Husband: Honey , lets go look at motorcycles
Wife: Why would you want a motorcycle? They are expensive, dangerous and impractical
Husband: After we get the bike, we can walk next door and get a diamond
Wife: Lets GO!!! :lol: :lol:

Husky
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:20 AM
Does anyone know if Gary Merrel is still with Faye as he was there when they were still on Alameda?

longrider
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Does anyone know if Gary Merrel is still with Faye as he was there when they were still on Alameda?

Yes he is, he works 11 to 6 and his desk is next to the elevator in the showroom.

Jenny
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I was in Fay on Tuesday and was both surprised and happy to see that you're still there, Paul!

I've never had a bad experience at Fay Myers and I appreciate how much they have contributed to the community over the years, hosting ladies nights, donating their meeting area for R2SL meetings, etc. Good people there.

Husky
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Yes he is, he works 11 to 6 and his desk is next to the elevator in the showroom.

Thats awesome. I dont get out that way much but if you see Gary, please tell him Husky said hello. I use to work with him many moons ago at a bike shop called R.A.D (Rink A Dinks Yamaha) that was located on carr st. in Lakewood. I was a shag boy at the shop and Gary was a salesman even back than in the late 70's.

Ninja2
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Paul, thank you so much for taking the time to explain the different tire options for my Aprilia to me on Thu. I truly appreciate all your advice, patience, and the help of the parts department.

Ghost
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 02:57 PM
Thats awesome. I dont get out that way much but if you see Gary, please tell him Husky said hello. I use to work with him many moons ago at a bike shop called R.A.D (Rink A Dinks Yamaha) that was located on carr st. in Lakewood. I was a shag boy at the shop and Gary was a salesman even back than in the late 70's.

1870s.

Gary is ancient.