PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire threads risk question

Charlie Rotten
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 03:59 AM
I have a small patch of threads showing in the center of my rear tire. (2in long and about 1cm wide)
I cant afford to spend the money right now to throw on new tires so its going into storage until next year.

The storage unit is off of I-25 in Longmont.

How risky would it be to ride down 34 to I-25 then down to the storage unit?

its about 40 miles with an average speed of 75.

if its really that risky ill have a tow truck take it but if you think i can get away with it, it would save me some hassle.

fasterlaster
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 04:57 AM
Realistically it should be fine......however your increasing your risk of a blowout which may cost a LOT more to repair than the $ for truck. Ultimately the risk assessment is yours. Perhaps someone can help give you a hand moving it?

sloridr
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
When the cords start showing you literary have about 2 mm of rubber between the air on the inside and the air on the outside. But fasterlaster is correct when he said the risk is up to you and that a tow truck is a lot less Mo eyes than a blow out at speed. Choose wisely.

Ezzzzy1
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 07:48 AM
A lot of people have ridden on a lot worse...

Graphite675
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 07:56 AM
Just load it up and trailer it down there. If you have the means to get it there without riding why take the risk?

Hibs
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 12:10 PM
I've ridden 300-400 miles once cords were showing. You'll be fine. I've also had a flat at 100mph, not as bad to control as one would think

SouthPaw
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 12:18 PM
I've ridden 300-400 miles once cords were showing.

Wow thats insane.

I've ridden a few miles but never more than 20 not that I don't think the tire will make it but why risk it?

Vellos
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 12:43 PM
I've ridden 300-400 miles once cords were showing. You'll be fine. I've also had a flat at 100mph, not as bad to control as one would think

This reaffirms that you shouldn't ride on the threads. :lol:

Zach929rr
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Riding on cords is like riding a fat chick. Don't let your friends catch you.

brennahm
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM
You'll be fine, but why in the name of god would you take I-25? Take city streets. Go slow, go cautious.

Scer
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 01:37 PM
If you are not in a hurry.. you can bring your rear wheel to my shop and i can put a roller tire on it to get you by. If that helps..

Don't risk on riskas

Nooch
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 04:03 PM
When the cords start showing you literary have about 2 mm of rubber between the air on the inside and the air on the outside.
^ scary shyte!

You'll be fine, but why in the name of god would you take I-25? Take city streets. Go slow, go cautious.
^ that

Ezzzzy1
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 05:07 PM
If you are not in a hurry.. you can bring your rear wheel to my shop and i can put a roller tire on it to get you by. If that helps..

Don't risk on riskas

That there is an offer you shouldnt turn down...

Wrider
Sat Sep 10th, 2011, 07:27 PM
That there is an offer you shouldnt turn down...
+100

Charlie Rotten
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 01:42 AM
well its on craigs now because my car took a dump but if it doesn't sell in the next few days i will take you up on the offer. i really appreciate it.

WolFeYeZ
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 03:10 AM
well its on craigs now because my car took a dump but if it doesn't sell in the next few days i will take you up on the offer. i really appreciate it.

If its mechanical issues with the car you might want to check this thread out, he did a great job on my car for an amazing price:

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=39298

Charlie Rotten
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 05:16 AM
The car is a 1987 dodge omni. I think the alternator went out which pretty much totals the car.

Hibs
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 07:20 AM
The car is a 1987 dodge omni. I think the alternator went out which pretty much totals the car.

lol....

link to your craigslist ad? i might be interested in buying it

Charlie Rotten
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 02:47 AM
http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2592776555.html

call or text anytime.
Im in class usually from about 12-3 every day so ill be sleeping during that time but any other time im available.

Hibs
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I meant the omni. you selling the omni?

Charlie Rotten
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 12:46 PM
you're joking right!?!?!

there is not much to say about it, i dont have it on craigs but its an 87 non GLH with like 75k miles. its gray/silver (no paint) interior is not bad but there is no headliner. seats have rips but....its an omni.
A/C works and is fairly cold
Radio actually works better than you would expect
Early this morning i went and bought new battery cables and it seems to be working fine now. so unless i sell the bike or find another car i probably cant give it up but if you want to throw out a general offer ill think about it.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I've ridden 300-400 miles once cords were showing. You'll be fine.
Aahhhh, nice. I'll be avoiding riding anywhere near you, thanks. ;)

Hibs
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 08:53 PM
Aahhhh, nice. I'll be avoiding riding anywhere near you, thanks. ;)

lol, not saying i would advise it. the one time i did that it was all in town, no faster then 40mph riding. just said that it could be done. when you're a broke teenager, but have to get to work, you do what you have to do.

Vellos
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:30 AM
You'll be fine = reassurance of such foolish actions.

longrider
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Is everybody on this forum perfect? It is really getting old how anybody can get jumped on for asking about something that is not the ideal action. I personally have a ton of respect for Charlie for being able to say My tire is shot, I cant afford a new one, so I will park the bike.

Back to the original question, you should make it to your storage place with no problems. I will relate a story of my own, I was returning from a cross country trip and stopped in Steamboat on the last day for lunch. I saw a spot of cord in my rear tire, immediately got paranoid and was ready to buy a tire in Ft Collins. Stopped on the east side of Rabbit ears, the spot was the same size. Stopped in Walden, still no bigger. When in Ft Collins it was still no bigger I decided to head on home and made it with no issues and it was still the same size.

Sean
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Is everybody on this forum perfect? It is really getting old how anybody can get jumped on for asking about something that is not the ideal action. I personally have a ton of respect for Charlie for being able to say My tire is shot, I cant afford a new one, so I will park the bike.
:imwithstupid:
There are very few positive and/or helpful posts on the thread these days... :(

To the OP, it's up to you to determine how bad your tire is. If you want, post a pic and some of us could probably be more objective. The one time I was showing chord, was the morning of my first time on Deckers/HP hill. It wasn't smart, and I even rode home in the rain after that, so there is a good chance that you'll be fine, but as I said, it depends on your tire and your trust in it.

If you do it, try and opt for side streets, that way the tire may not heat up as much.

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I usually agree that people are a bit harsh on this board, but this time I am not so sure since this is more about safety awareness this time.

The moral of the story here is to not wait this long! Tires have wear indicators and they show to replace way before threads start to show. If you don't then it is fairly irresponsible not only to you but others on the road. I give him props for asking the question, but I don't feel it should have come to waiting till threads are showing. I don't know I have been riding sportbikes over ten years and never had a tire show threads. Was I annoyed that it still looked like I had life on that tire after the wear mark was gone; yes but why risk it to save a few bucks.

Now I apologize if this was a defect in a tire and your wear marks show the tire is still good; that is a different situation.

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Its a good question i myself don't know what kind of mileage you can expect when the warning threads are showing. This past weekend my front tire got shredded down so much i lost all of the tread on the sides and is completely bald like a race tire i do not see the warning threads yet but i don't care its parked and its staying there until i get a new tire!

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Its a good question i myself don't know what kind of mileage you can expect when the warning threads are showing. This past weekend my front tire got shredded down so much i lost all of the tread on the sides and is completely bald like a race tire i do not see the warning threads yet but i don't care its parked and its staying there until i get a new tire! I think many people think that there are such a thing as "warning threads", but this is not true because there are "warning marks" built into each tire (which go before threads). There are different varieties, so hard to describe them, but most shops will show you where they are. Maybe Scer can chime in and describe them better!

This is a ballpark way to test it with a penny:
One quick way to estimate the tread is to insert a penny in the tread with Abe Lincoln's head upside down. If the tread still is deep enough to cover Abe's eyes you are ok
If it barely touches his hair its time to change

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 01:04 PM
I ran my last 2 sets of tires to the cord because of lack of $$, barely, but as soon as I saw even a hint of cord, I stopped riding the bike until I could get new ones.

It could mean your LIFE, so my .02 is don't risk it. My idiot friend had a bad habit of always riding around on the cords, and one day at about 90+ his back tire blew up and came apart. A piece came around and smashed the rear part of the tailsection all to hell and dragged all that back into the tire, put a hole in the top of the seat where it hit (narrowly missing his lower back), and even knocked a hole in the rear wheel well, the seat base, and all but about the 1/2" of seat foam left before smacking him in the nutz.

Yeah, best to park it.

Bueller
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I just rode a bike that the front tire is down to the wear bars and the bike is down right dangerous and scary to ride. It still has tread but it is beyond worn out. People mentally compensate for the handling degradation as they wear the tires out. Then when they put new tires on it is such an improvement they think they have discovered the best handling tires on earth.

Those are not warning threads they are the "you have pushed too far" cords. When you see wear bars, that is the warning. I have ridden on cords a couple of times in my career but try like hell to never get to that point.

Earlier this year on one of the few posted rides I was on, I noticed the guy in front of me started to show cords toward the last 1/2 of the ride, by the end of the ride he was on a wrecked bike that was later totaled by insurance and he was pretty beat up.

Coincidence? Perhaps

But no it didn't go flat.

asp_125
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 02:57 PM
I had a tire that was close to the wear indicators before I left on a 400mi trip up the Poudre, around Walden and back over Trail Ridge. It was corded by the time I got down to Lyons.

Ghost
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 04:47 PM
Is everybody on this forum perfect?

A few of us, yes. :devil1:

Everybody, no...:D

Charlie Rotten
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 05:42 PM
ive never seen these wear indicators.
i always thought that if the tread was gone, then it was time to replace.

I think its a little unfair to call me irresponsible because I stopped riding once i noticed there were cords showing.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:19 PM
ive never seen these wear indicators.
i always thought that if the tread was gone, then it was time to replace.

I think its a little unfair to call me irresponsible because I stopped riding once i noticed there were cords showing.

You are good dude... There are a lot of "perfect" people around these pages. Fuggem!

All tires have tread indicators now days. Basically its a raised piece of the rubber in the tread. Once the rest of the tire levels out with it its time to get new tires.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/tire-1.jpg

I dont put much though into the rear tire but I am vary attentive to the front.

Scer
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:31 PM
DOT legal tires all come with a wear indicators. They will most likely.be towards the crown of a tire (where the tire wears out quickest).

If you can't find it then rule of thumb is when only 1/32 of tread is left, then start shopping for a replacement. I think Nate mentioned that if it doesn't touch Lincoln hair.. and that's about right.

Measure on measuras

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:52 PM
i know the OP is rear tire but this is my front tire as it stands..http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/bike/photo.jpg
http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h54/irishrussianpunk/bike/photo-1.jpg

Ezzzzy1
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Um yea Grim.... You crazy! What are you waiting for before you decide to replace that?

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Um yea Grim.... You crazy! What are you waiting for before you decide to replace that?

hahaha I'm waiting for nothing my friend I'm not riding either though I will hopefully be slapping a new tire on that bad boy on Friday!