PDA

View Full Version : bs parking tickets

highpsi03
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 09:51 AM
I live in green valley ranch. (Denver county) my truck is parked infront of my house. Few weeks ago someone backed into it and smashed the bumper. I hadn't found a way to reattach the plate yet. I go out of town last week and when I come back I notice two parking tickets. Both are for no front plate. Ill pay the first one. Whatever 75$. But damn two at 75$ They didn't even give me a chance to see the ticket or fix it. Two days later they pop me again. So what can I do? Anything to get the 2nd dropped? I can't fix it when im out of town.

cbrjohnny
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
sounds like you need some ducktape and some time on the phone with dmv.

longrider
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I had that happen to me a long time ago and they dismissed all but the first ticket. My situation was at work and I just stuck the front plate on the dash and propped it up when I parked and the tickets stopped. I think Denver is the only place that enforces that law, I had no front plate on my old truck for years and had no issues except parked on the street in Denver

~Barn~
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 12:50 PM
I got a NFP ticket about a month ago on my car, and it had been about a year since I had one before. Normally I chalk it up to my yearly "privillege for not giving a fuck" tax, but since I had the time, I went into the Magistrate's office to see if they would reduce the $75 fine.

Well much to my chagrin, they didn't do anything for me and enforced the whole fine.

Best part: When I got out to my car, which was street-parked at a meter. They had gotten me for another one...

Two $75 checks written to the same bastards in the same 30 minute span. It was awesome.

Matty
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 01:13 PM
i got one of those a few weeks ago. $75 is ridiculous. i got one last year and it was $25.

The GECCO
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 01:22 PM
Best part: When I got out to my car, which was street-parked at a meter. They had gotten me for another one...

Two $75 checks written to the same bastards in the same 30 minute span. It was awesome.

Dunno why, but this just reminded me of a story...this was about 1992 or 1993. I was driving through Denver and got stopped on I-25 for speeding. It was an unmarked car that I hadn't noticed pacing traffic. He pulls me over and I get papered. Dammit! After we're done, I pull back onto the interstate and continue. I don't make it more than a mile before I drive past a different cop sitting on the side of the road with a radar gun...yup, he pulls me over and I get papered AGAIN...twice in less than 10 minutes. F&#K!!! Yes, it sucked big time...but I WAS speeding both times.

Anyway, both tickets are written by the City of Denver and both have the same time/date listed for the first appearance. I'm thinking "that's gonna be an expensive and embarrassing day..." I show up and there are written instructions to check in with the clerk. I go up to the clerk and tell her my name and that I'm here for a speeding ticket. She looks in the computer and says "Ok, here you are...hmmm...something's wrong, it looks like they entered it twice for some reason...OK, lemme delete this second one...there we go. Someone will be right with you."

I go and sit, waiting to meet with the prosecutor, trying to decide if what I think happened really happened. I notice that the ADA's come into the room, grab a few papers printed by the clerk, then call the name on the papers. My name is called and he only has the first ticket (which gets reduced a lot, can't remember to what, exactly) and no mention of the second. Never heard another thing about it.

Sorry you got popped twice, Barn, but sometimes I love bureaucracy! LoL

highpsi03
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 04:26 PM
I can deal with the first ticket, i'll pay it, whatever. But the fact that they come back two days later, and write another for the same thing? The idiots can clearly see the first ticket is still there and the car hasn't moved.

madvlad
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 04:28 PM
Oh dude they don't give a fuck, they would've written 100 of them shits if they could and have you pay out your ass for them too. It is out of control

BOOMER
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 05:10 PM
i got one of those a few weeks ago. $75 is ridiculous. i got one last year and it was $25.

They've got to find new ways to bring in revenue...
I think it sucks too... But with the economy and taxes cuts
I do not see an end in sight... I wish you the best and hope
you find a good way to fight this if you've got the time...

Jmetz
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Weird story. I live in GVR too. one of my neighbors had the bumper knocked off their truck a couple weeks ago. They never did anything to fix and just let it sit, so I called the cops.

:p Sucks man. I really do live out here and my neighbor left his pos Saab in front of my house for 3 months. I hoped everyday to come home and see it towed, but he never even got a ticket. I actually was getting pretty close to calling the cops. I asked him to move it before and he refused.

BOOMER
Sun Sep 11th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Weird story. I live in GVR too. one of my neighbors had the bumper knocked off their truck a couple weeks ago. They never did anything to fix and just let it sit, so I called the cops.

LOL..! Oh that hurts..!

wulf
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 12:03 AM
throw the plate in the dash and stop getting tickets

fasterlaster
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 12:22 AM

I bet the cops that were sent out were just pissed and saw highpsi03's vehicle and said why not hit the entire neighborhood :down:

Squisha
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 07:14 AM
:p Sucks man. I really do live out here and my neighbor left his pos Saab in front of my house for 3 months. I hoped everyday to come home and see it towed, but he never even got a ticket. I actually was getting pretty close to calling the cops. I asked him to move it before and he refused.

I had that as well...I live in Westminster and fortunately they have someone you can call for that. Check the ordinances where you live. There's a time limit for how long a car can sit like that. I had two of them POS's in front of my house (one of which had expired tags). I took photos of each with shots of the plates, emailed them to the city, and it took less than a week for the one with expired plates to go away. The other one was an old POS with a bashed in windshield but current tags. It belongs to the neighbor and it ended up on the neighbor's lawn. Its current resting place is in the back yard while he's in jail. Funny thing is, that guy has four cars and no license!!

modette99
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I live in green valley ranch. (Denver county) my truck is parked infront of my house. Few weeks ago someone backed into it and smashed the bumper. I hadn't found a way to reattach the plate yet. I go out of town last week and when I come back I notice two parking tickets. Both are for no front plate. Ill pay the first one. Whatever 75$. But damn two at 75$ They didn't even give me a chance to see the ticket or fix it. Two days later they pop me again. So what can I do? Anything to get the 2nd dropped? I can't fix it when im out of town.

Call the police report the hit & run, show the bumper...show the tickets, and your airline ticket...get his report. Show to court out of principle and show the police report, airline ticket and a picture of your bumper laying there. Then show you fixed the bumper and the tickets should be dismissed.

Wow CO is strict...you could of lost it on a Jeep trail and been waiting for a new one or whatever is done then. Seems kind of steep when they could of looked and saw you had a rear plate still (so maybe a warning as how many people look at the front of their vehicle???). I probably would never know either unless a cop pointed it out (I don't typically see the front of my vehicle for months and months).

I wish CO only had rear plates, outdated to need front ones. Cost the state more for plating as they need two plates, be much cheaper to make just one.

Wrider
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I bet the cops that were sent out were just pissed and saw highpsi03's vehicle and said why not hit the entire neighborhood :down:

You sir, fail at understanding jokes...

~Barn~
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 09:10 AM
throw the plate in the dash and stop getting tickets

While it's better than no plate at all, that actually won't keep you out of trouble, per how the law is written. See item (2)(a) below.

42-3-202. Number plates to be attached. (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=42275ff9.7319fc62.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2742-3-202%27%5D)

(1) (a) Number plates assigned to a self-propelled vehicle other than a motorcycle or street rod vehicle shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear. The number plate assigned to a motorcycle, street rod vehicle, trailer, semitrailer, other vehicle drawn by a motor vehicle, or special mobile machinery shall be attached to the rear thereof. Number plates shall be so displayed during the current registration year, except as otherwise provided in this article.

(b) If the department issues a validating tab or sticker to a motor vehicle pursuant to section 42-3-201 (http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=jump&iid=COCODE&d=42-3-201&sid=42275ff9.7319fc62.0.0#JD_42-3-201), the current month validating tab or sticker shall be displayed in the bottom left corner of the rear license plate. The current year validating tab or sticker shall be displayed in the bottom right corner of the rear license plate. The tabs or stickers shall be visible at all times.

(2) (a) Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

(b) A person shall not operate a motor vehicle with an affixed device or a substance that causes all or a portion of a license plate to be unreadable by a system used to automatically identify a motor vehicle. Such a device includes, without limitation, a cover that distorts angular visibility; alters the color of the plate; or is smoked, tinted, scratched, or dirty so as to impair the legibility of the license plate.

jbnwc
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 10:00 AM
They've got to find new ways to bring in revenue...
I think it sucks too... But with the economy and taxes cuts
I do not see an end in sight... I wish you the best and hope
you find a good way to fight this if you've got the time...

I have an end in sight for you... Fire the ticket writers. Why the heck are we paying people to write BS tickets simply to fund their own salaries. The Libertarians are looking better and better every day. I don't give a crap if the gov't is short money; STOP FREAKIN SPENDING!!! How the heck are we supposed to feed our families with these politicians taking every last dime???

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 01:22 PM
I got a NFP ticket about a month ago on my car, and it had been about a year since I had one before. Normally I chalk it up to my yearly "privillege for not giving a fuck" tax, but since I had the time, I went into the Magistrate's office to see if they would reduce the $75 fine.

Well much to my chagrin, they didn't do anything for me and enforced the whole fine.

Shoulda just jumped the meter, you know, just to show 'em who's boss. Oops! Wait, bad idea....nevermind...... :)

(Sorry bro, couldn't resist.....)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 01:25 PM
I got popped twice in an hour in CO coming back from my Labor Day trip. A mile West of Craig, and a couple miles West of Walden. Total of almost $300. Fark! Well, honestly, for all the abuse of speed limits on the 3 trips I did these last 2 years, I can't complain too much.

ipuck
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I can tell you first hand that they will only reduce the fine IF you show up in person to dispute it and then they will only do half the fine if your lucky. The Ministry of Finance will not drop any ticket no matter how much you ask. I know because I asked a lot!!!!!!
I got popped for it 3 times on my old jeep. One year I lost my plate after all the blizzards we had. The last 2 times I was parked in capital hill with the plate in the front window. They say it need to be 6 inches above the ground and visible.
I feel your pain and wish Denver would stop micro managing all the drivers.

wulf
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 06:13 PM
While it's better than no plate at all, that actually won't keep you out of trouble, per how the law is written. See item (2)(a) below.

(http://www.michie.com/colorado/lpext.dll?f=FifLink&t=document-frame.htm&l=query&iid=42275ff9.7319fc62.0.0&q=%5BGroup%20%2742-3-202%27%5D)

(2) (a) Every number plate shall at all times be securely fastened to the vehicle to which it is assigned, so as to prevent the plate from swinging, and shall be horizontal at a height not less than twelve inches from the ground, measuring from the bottom of such plate, in a place and position to be clearly visible, and shall be maintained free from foreign materials and in a condition to be clearly legible.

If you jam it between the dash and windshield you meet the law, it doesn't swing, it's clearly visible, and it's above 12 inches.

If you're sure to do it in the passenger side they can't get you for obstructed vision.

Jenny
Mon Sep 12th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I wish CO only had rear plates, outdated to need front ones. Cost the state more for plating as they need two plates, be much cheaper to make just one.

Have you ever registered a vehicle here? With how expensive it is, trust me - trust me; it's not the state paying more.

modette99
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:52 AM
Have you ever registered a vehicle here? With how expensive it is, trust me - trust me; it's not the state paying more.

Yep $680 last year on the Ford Edge, just got the card, $460 this year...such BS in this state, but I blame the voters...could of had $20 tags...but oh no we can not do that. Although I believe it should be more then $20 or whatever was proposed that would of sent a strong message to the state...but nope the voters were idiots.

But still it save the state more money by not having both tags, we all probably be surprised by how much if we went to one plate. There is NO reason for two plates....states with one plate seem to work just fine.

Ricky
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
Yep $680 last year on the Ford Edge, just got the card, $460 this year...such BS in this state, but I blame the voters...could of had $20 tags...but oh no we can not do that. Although I believe it should be more then $20 or whatever was proposed that would of sent a strong message to the state...but nope the voters were idiots.

But still it save the state more money by not having both tags, we all probably be surprised by how much if we went to one plate. There is NO reason for two plates....states with one plate seem to work just fine.

That was one of the dumbest items on the ballot in history. A reduction in those taxes? Hell yes. But a complete removal, no way. I hate paying those fees as much as anyone else. My new car this year cost me $960. Fucking $58 for my 9 year old WR250?!?!? But I know where the money goes, and I'm somewhat ok with it. If the state didn't have that cash, our roads would suck even more than they already do.

My suggestion is that if you don't like it, move out of the state. You do have a choice.

highpsi03
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I installed the plate the day i saw the tickets. The bs thing is that they did this infront of my house, while i was out of town, came back two days later, saw the first one and wrote another. Installing it in the windshield will not work they told me. I went down there and they dropped the two tickets to a combined 85$. Whatever, i paid it and left.

modette99
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 09:29 AM
That was one of the dumbest items on the ballot in history. A reduction in those taxes? Hell yes. But a complete removal, no way. I hate paying those fees as much as anyone else. My new car this year cost me $960. Fucking $58 for my 9 year old WR250?!?!? But I know where the money goes, and I'm somewhat ok with it. If the state didn't have that cash, our roads would suck even more than they already do.

My suggestion is that if you don't like it, move out of the state. You do have a choice.

My suggestion is, are you fucking serious? Other states like TN have excellent roads and do not have such high registration cost, plus they have no income tax either and get along just fine.

Do YOU REALLY KNOW WHERE YOUR MONEY GOES? Oh NO the road, the roads, they will be so bad...LOL That is pretty funny and a piss poor argument. I guess you never lived elsewhere and have NO CLUE.

No if I said well MI look at their cost its like $100 a year...Roads do suck...but as I learned in one of my college courses its mainly do to the climate. In MI we had a lot of freeze thaw cycles which is damn hard on the roadways. Here in CO, its not that bad...

I don't know I'll vote for a reduction in any tax at any point. I think the roads here are excellent, yeah they are not like AZ but then again we do have winters, but they are not THAT bad either. You ever been to the East Coast at all, like New Jersey, Michigan!!! If you want to talk roads first do a few motorcycle trips, then get back to me. I'm amazed at how nice the roads in TN are...and I think my parents about died when I told them the outrages raping of Colorado fees.

But there are always a few people that like taking it up the ass in society, I understand that, I hope you buy lots of KY. Same people like paying state income taxes too, and "use" tax...LOL Whatever...

I vote, and I have a say, to tell someone to move I could just as easily tell you to GET THE FUCK OUT if you like paying excessive taxes.

Nick_Ninja
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I got popped twice in an hour in CO coming back from my Labor Day trip. A mile West of Craig, and a couple miles West of Walden. Total of almost $300. Fark! Well, honestly, for all the abuse of speed limits on the 3 trips I did these last 2 years, I can't complain too much.

This is a good one. :roll:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 01:44 PM
This is a good one. :roll:
Not really.:jerkoff: Sux ass actually, but, it is what it is. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. For all the times I got let slide on tickets, sometimes you gotta pay the piper.

The GECCO
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Other states like TN have excellent roads and do not have such high registration cost, plus they have no income tax either and get along just fine.

Apples and oranges. TN has more people paying into the pool and less roads to maintain (TN population density 153 people per sq mi, CO is 48), plus their roads don't see the severe types of weather that most of ours do, especially in the mountains, requiring less maintenance.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 11:10 AM
In Ohio, the plates were like $40/yr, even on newer cars......but we also paid about 2% of your salary in city tax, above and beyond the state tax. Idaho has pretty cheap plates.

modette99
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Apples and oranges. TN has more people paying into the pool and less roads to maintain (TN population density 153 people per sq mi, CO is 48), plus their roads don't see the severe types of weather that most of ours do, especially in the mountains, requiring less maintenance.

I would argue that.

July 2009 figures
TN has 6,296,254
CO has 5,024,748
Difference of 1,271,506
Of course newer stats show CO is rapidly growing as can be seen. So population stats might be a lot closer, reducing that difference.

I tried to find how many miles of roadway CO has vs TN but that seems not to be a known thing. About 6 million for the U.S. stat. I believe there are more roads in TN and they tend to be PAVED then in CO just from experience. CO has a lot of open underpopulated areas that don't have many roadways. Hell my parents place is a FARM and in the middle of nowhere and it is paved, and they have city water...LOL TN is littered with roads.

CO does seem to have a lot of COUNTY roads which tend not to be maintained and some are down right scary even in a Jeep (TN Country Roads are ALWAYS maintained, typically paved too). I'm not really calling CO County roads, roads because if I can not take a Ford Focus down it, its not much use to anyone, true CO also have more Forest Roads too due to the national forest. Again these are typically not maintained nor should be considered "roads" and when maintained are federal money not state money so plating fees don't mean much.

Wow, you pointed out weather, which I already answered. You are partially correct. but the weather here is not THAT bad. Now in MI what happens is the roads start to melt but never dry during the day due to clouds (rarely sunny) and thus refreeze at night causing heaving and that is what makes potholes (well among other things). In CO I tend to see the roadways DRY during the day thus refreezing of water and causing heaving is not a problem. Hence why the roadways up in the mountains stay pretty dang nice year to year. I don't see much change int he conditions from one year to the next.

I got to say, people in CO have a warped sense of what a bad road is. I have not yet seen one in Denver that I said "Oh my God" to. But yet if you think these roads are sooooo bad but yet pay high fees don't and they don't seem to fix the issue you think higher fees WILL???

Of course neither of those are the driving population, or ones that pay taxes. You would have to factor out non users out of both, like children and old people, or people that simply don't have vehicles.

My main point which you failed at understanding is that with the crazy low amount on that bill (which I said was a little nuts) would of WAKED the state up. Like everything they WASTE a ton on roadways by mismanaging the monies, the bidding process and get away with it. Do you really think it would of stayed that LOW? But it would of been a good starting point to FIX the ridiculous fees we pay. I think $100-$200 a year on ANY vehicle is what it should be. It should not, or never have been a WEALTH tax.

You do realize it is a wealth tax? A $40K Ford Edge does not use more road in terms of maintenance then a $20K Ford Ranger. A $140K Porsche does not use $4,000 in fees to use a road. It does not add up, which means its a tax on the wealthy because you are jealous that someone can buy something you can not. I like to see all such taxes done away with, why should I pay MORE just because I made more then you. I know Obama says the wealthy need to pay their fair share...what BS, they already tend to do that.

But alas there are ways around it....

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:36 PM
I agree, most people here who bitch about the roads.......never rode in Cleveland or Michigan after a rough winter. The only road I know of here I would put into that category, is 14 just west of Cameron pass, where the road is FUBAR'd, especially "The Jump". I went over that at speed a few months back and it knocked me clean out of the seat (after knocking my ballz up around my waist). Not fun, especially as it's mid-corner. They're working on it, but it still sux.

The GECCO
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I would argue that.

July 2009 figures
TN has 6,296,254
CO has 5,024,748
Difference of 1,271,506
Of course newer stats show CO is rapidly growing as can be seen. So population stats might be a lot closer, reducing that difference.

Try reading my post again - I referred to population DENSITY, which takes into account population and square miles (more square miles inevitably means more roads). Tennessee has more people paying to maintain less roads. Simple as that.

Is that the WHOLE difference? No, but you can't just throw it out the window like you do...

Nick_Ninja
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:14 PM
Not really.:jerkoff: Sux ass actually, but, it is what it is. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. For all the times I got let slide on tickets, sometimes you gotta pay the piper.

Radar.

modette99
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 09:48 AM
Try reading my post again - I referred to population DENSITY, which takes into account population and square miles (more square miles inevitably means more roads). Tennessee has more people paying to maintain less roads. Simple as that.

Is that the WHOLE difference? No, but you can't just throw it out the window like you do...

Read my post, Square miles does not equal MORE roads. That is a bad way and a false method to look at the amount of roadways. CO has a LOT of empty LAND with NO paved roads. Heck take the whole East section from the front range...might be a lot of land mass but very little paved roads. Same with a lot of CO, I can look at the map and see empty areas with ZERO roads. TN tends to be COVERED in roads and I know this from experience.

For all I know all these religious fucks in CO have 7 kids thus the population figures do not add up either. Just saying.

modette99
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
This is just a rough figure:

Figure half of the population of my above number in CO drives, so that be: 2,512,374
Assuming new car purchases: 2,512,374 x $600 (seems like a good average to use) that be $1,507,424,400

Figure half for TN which be 3,148,127
3,148,127 x $150 = $472,219,050

Or a difference of: $1,035,205,350

For obvious reasons some people might pay less here in CO $100 for example or they might pay $5,000. TN caps it, so just because you have a $140K vehicle don't mean your paying big bucks either. I do realize CO rates go down yearly too, makes this all hard to figure also.

But point being more people does not mean MORE money collected.

Also lets say you are right and CO has more roads, they got $1 Billion more worth of roadways!!!! I think not.

Lets say the average in Co is $300, that is still $753,712,200 or $281,493,150 more CO spends...I still don't think CO has that much more in roads.

I think your theory false in CO have more PAVED roads then TN. As I stated before. Land doe snot equal more paved roadways. I already said CO has more DIRT roads then TN. The only way to get a good number would be to know the total number of "miles" of roadways in a given state. I guess they don't keep track of that...even an estimate.

I lead a boring life and have starred at the various maps for a long time...I like memorizing and studying them to find new areas. just from looking at them side by side TN has a lot more PAVED roads that just show up on maps not to mention a lot more PAVED back roads from my experience. Maybe if CO starts to pave more roads they would have MORE...but I'm afraid they don't.

Nevada = 110,560 sq mi
Colorado = 104,093 sq mi

So by your theory NV has more paved roads then CO!!!! You ever been to NV...LOL very few roads at all, not to mention paved.

Same with AZ at 113,998 sq mi
or NM at 121,589 sq mi heck even Montana is bigger at 147,042 sq mi and so few PAVED roads.

But the best example of a false theory is Alaska at 663,267 sq mi....EVER been??? Its a joke of the lack of roads. So I guess your right square miles equals MORE roadways...LOL

Penadam
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
This should have enough data to get a clear anser:

http://www.naco.org/research/pubs/Documents/County%20Management%20and%20Structure/Research%20County%20Management%20and%20Structure/County%20Road%20Miles%20by%20State.pdf

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Radar.
Believe my, I'm looking into a way to mount my Valentine 1 which has saved me numerous times in my cars over the years, but, radar detectors don't do a thing for you if he's not broadcasting, which is almost always the case with the instant on radar they use today, and laser detectors basically just tell you you're busted. So, there's always an element of luck involved.

modette99
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:46 AM
This should have enough data to get a clear anser:

http://www.naco.org/research/pubs/Documents/County%20Management%20and%20Structure/Research%20County%20Management%20and%20Structure/County%20Road%20Miles%20by%20State.pdf

Thank you ...that proved what I been saying

jbnwc
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 11:25 AM
I would argue that.

July 2009 figures
TN has 6,296,254
CO has 5,024,748
Difference of 1,271,506

I tried to find how many miles of roadway CO has vs TN but that seems not to be a known thing. About 6 million for the U.S. stat. I believe there are more roads in TN and they tend to be PAVED then in CO just from experience. CO has a lot of open underpopulated areas that don't have many roadways. Hell my parents place is a FARM and in the middle of nowhere and it is paved, and they have city water...LOL TN is littered with roads.

CO does seem to have a lot of COUNTY roads which tend not to be maintained and some are down right scary even in a Jeep (TN Country Roads are ALWAYS maintained, typically paved too). I'm not really calling CO County roads, roads because if I can not take a Ford Focus down it, its not much use to anyone, true CO also have more Forest Roads too due to the national forest. Again these are typically not maintained nor should be considered "roads" and when maintained are federal money not state money so plating fees don't mean much.

Wow, you pointed out weather, which I already answered. You are partially correct. but the weather here is not THAT bad. Now in MI what happens is the roads start to melt but never dry during the day due to clouds (rarely sunny) and thus refreeze at night causing heaving and that is what makes potholes (well among other things). In CO I tend to see the roadways DRY during the day thus refreezing of water and causing heaving is not a problem. Hence why the roadways up in the mountains stay pretty dang nice year to year. I don't see much change int he conditions from one year to the next.

I got to say, people in CO have a warped sense of what a bad road is. I have not yet seen one in Denver that I said "Oh my God" to. But yet if you think these roads are sooooo bad but yet pay high fees don't and they don't seem to fix the issue you think higher fees WILL???

Of course neither of those are the driving population, or ones that pay taxes. You would have to factor out non users out of both, like children and old people, or people that simply don't have vehicles.

My main point which you failed at understanding is that with the crazy low amount on that bill (which I said was a little nuts) would of WAKED the state up. Like everything they WASTE a ton on roadways by mismanaging the monies, the bidding process and get away with it. Do you really think it would of stayed that LOW? But it would of been a good starting point to FIX the ridiculous fees we pay. I think $100-$200 a year on ANY vehicle is what it should be. It should not, or never have been a WEALTH tax.

You do realize it is a wealth tax? A $40K Ford Edge does not use more road in terms of maintenance then a $20K Ford Ranger. A $140K Porsche does not use $4,000 in fees to use a road. It does not add up, which means its a tax on the wealthy because you are jealous that someone can buy something you can not. I like to see all such taxes done away with, why should I pay MORE just because I made more then you. I know Obama says the wealthy need to pay their fair share...what BS, they already tend to do that.

But alas there are ways around it....

Yeah, having lived in MN, SD, and IA where they pay a fraction of our taxes I can agree completely with this entire post. In those states, virtually every road is paved, the weather is way worse, and the roads are in much better condition. Granted, the roads out there were originally much cheaper to build than our mountain roads, but nowadays all we are talking about is maintenance.