PDA

View Full Version : Bystanders Save Motorcyclist

Vellos
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:18 AM
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52568494-78/car-motorcyclist-bystanders-curtis.html.csp

In stable condition now.

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:24 AM
Whoa...
Good Samaritans rock!

Is the flaming motorcycle crash common? Seems like it's more common lately or more awareness (on my part) has made it seem that way at least.

Mother Goose
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:29 AM
I saw this on the news this morning. Crazy.

Ricky
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:42 AM
Excellent teamwork!

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Wow those people deserve a HUGE kudos!!! Good to see great people out there in the world!!

JustSomeDude
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:47 AM
Just wow. What an amazing scene!!!! :applause:

Got a tear in my eye watching this. Truly heart warming.

Jmetz
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:56 AM
Wow thats pretty crazy. That said, I've never understood the "omg somebody should totally help that person while I stand here watching and record" thing.

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I did notice the rider had no helmet on; someone was really watching over this guy to help him survive this crash.

These people really are great considering they put themselves in danger of an exploding car.

bornwildnfree
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm glad he's ok.

tecknojoe
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:11 AM
I'll be the one to mention the photo with the officer just standing there while everyone else does the work.

Vellos
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Or you can watch the video and see the officer help?

64BonnieLass
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Got a tear in my eye watching this. Truly heart warming.

I did too. What a great group of perfect strangers to help him the way they did. Very heart warming to me as well.

tecknojoe
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Some photo floating around with cop standing there making people angry and starting e-wars. it's fun.

I'm no cop hater. Glad to hear he did help

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets//110913101121-mxp-mob-lifts-car-00001101-story-top.jpg

Vellos
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Longer video, it repeats for some reason but the second repeat is longer.

http://cnn.com/video/?/video/us/2011/09/13/von-motorcycle-crash.cnn

Cop got there, signaled for 3 seconds (picture) and then helped push. The two of them tried to put out the fire soon afterwards as well.

aerofaze
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:28 AM
Saw the news this morning. I choked up watching this as I thought of all the good strangers out there: these people had no idea that they'd be pushing a flaming car off somebody as part of their day. But these people did it unhesitatingly.

JustSomeDude
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:29 AM
I'll be the one to mention the photo with the officer just standing there while everyone else does the work.

Or you can watch the video and see the officer help?

Exactly... he certainly got involved.

But don't blame him for his approach to the scene. There are strict standards that dictate police and emergency crew behavior at accident scenes. For example, medics can't enter a crime scene until it's been deemed safe by police. I'm sure there are similar rules for police when fire and injured citizens are involved. They have no medical training - so if they do something "wrong" - they know a lawsuit is coming.

We should try not to blame our life-safety workers, who put themselves in harms way everyday, for the strict rules they must abide by. We should blame our overly litigious society.

tecknojoe
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:31 AM
<- not cop hater. just mentioning photo that people flip out over. not trying to flame

Nick_Ninja
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:35 AM
ADMINS: RETITLE TO --- Bystanders Save Dumbass Motorcyclist

Nooch
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:37 AM
What are the odds that you would just happen to be involved in a fiery crash, with no helmet, in the middle of town, in front of enough good samaritans to lift a BMW off of you...

This guy should have bought a lottery ticket that day and stayed home.

dragos13
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Exactly... he certainly got involved.

But don't blame him for his approach to the scene. There are strict standards that dictate police and emergency crew behavior at accident scenes. For example, medics can't enter a crime scene until it's been deemed safe by police. I'm sure there are similar rules for police when fire and injured citizens are involved. They have no medical training - so if they do something "wrong" - they know a lawsuit is coming.

We should try not to blame our life-safety workers, who put themselves in harms way everyday, for the strict rules they must abide by. We should blame our overly litigious society.

+1 and very well said.

Ghost
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:54 AM
Saw the news this morning. I choked up watching this as I thought of all the good strangers out there: these people had no idea that they'd be pushing a flaming car off somebody as part of their day. But these people did it unhesitatingly.

Yep, fantastic, glad to see people will still do something like that.

Now, if only we could work together on less dramatic but equally important things...but, that's too much to ask...

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM
Here is something to think about,

Obviously he did not have a helmet on so lets ask the question, If he had a helmet on would he have gone completely under the car or would it just be his body?

Judging by the way the car was facing and the way his body was facing it looks like the car hit him from his left side and ran over him if he had a helmet on it could have either:

A. Forced the helmet to roll while going over it thusly twisting and breaking his neck.

B. Just dragged his body underneath leaving his head to the front left side of the bumper which is in the direct path of the flames.

I am not a investigator of any sort i am just going by what was in the video and the picture but call me crazy to say Him not wearing a helmet may have worked to his advantage in this one! I am in no way saying don't wear a helmet because its safer so don't start bashing me please i am just saying this guy by definition very lucky!

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Holy shit, lay off the helmet shit for a day or 5, k?

Why not just let a great story of normal people banding together to save a life inspire and enlighten those who read it? We have certified NTSB employees all up in here don't we?

Sean
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 11:01 AM
That's awesome! Good people coming together to do something amazing. You guys can focus on the negatives all you want, but that's just a really cool, positive thing. Makes me keep hope in civilization. :up:

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 11:10 AM
inb4atgattargumentandlock

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:22 PM
Holy shit, lay off the helmet shit for a day or 5, k?

Why not just let a great story of normal people banding together to save a life inspire and enlighten those who read it? We have certified NTSB employees all up in here don't we?

i didn't make any sort of negative comment i was merely pointing out how not wearing a helmet may have saved this mans life. Its fate if i have every seen it!

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:34 PM
i didn't make any sort of negative comment i was merely pointing out how not wearing a helmet may have saved this mans life. Its fate if i have every seen it!

Nope, you didn't. Was he wearing a Hans device? Gloves? Padded leather pants and an armored jacket? Not really the point of the story. It is just irritating when "was he wearing gear that I would approve of?" comes up in a story when really, the point is the people, not the OSHA approval rating of the cloting the individual was wearing.

No worries tho, it will happen in EVERY thread on this board about a mototrycle accident NOT involving someone we all know. It is the SOP because more than curiosity, people like to feel they are better or more capable than those who do not conform. That and being able to point out where someone else went wrong is a REAL rush around here. Carry on.

BOOMER
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Incredibly lucky individual..! It's great to see complete strangers band together to rescue another, I believe a lot of us have that in us... I know I haven't got along that well with everybody at times, but I have a great respect and honor for everyone on this site and know that anyone on this site would be the first to help... I love the way the girl was the first to grab the car from the bottom and really lift the damn thing, the business suit just stood there (maybe the driver, in shock..?)... Anyway way to go people..!

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:36 PM
inb4atgattargumentandlock

Dude, open your vag and argue with me. Don't be all quiet and bashful. You know I like my ladies strong and outspoken.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:37 PM
That's awesome! Good people coming together to do something amazing. You guys can focus on the negatives all you want, but that's just a really cool, positive thing. Makes me keep hope in civilization. :up:

I know that between you and I, we could have lifted that 4000 pound car off the dude. The real question is, would we be able to lift a KLR if it were on top of him? I am guessing no.

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Nope, you didn't. Was he wearing a Hans device? Gloves? Padded leather pants and an armored jacket? Not really the point of the story. It is just irritating when "was he wearing gear that I would approve of?" comes up in a story when really, the point is the people, not the OSHA approval rating of the cloting the individual was wearing.

No worries tho, it will happen in EVERY thread on this board about a mototrycle accident NOT involving someone we all know. It is the SOP because more than curiosity, people like to feel they are better or more capable than those who do not conform. That and being able to point out where someone else went wrong is a REAL rush around here. Carry on.

Fair enough I wasn't trying to push it in that direction though just making the observation that this man is very lucky to be alive and yes i do agree it is amazing to see a crowd of complete strangers help lift an entire car for one man no matter who he was or what he was wearing. When i watched the video for the first time i got a wave of "Wow that is something truly beautiful" that came over me! Human nature is amazing and good on these people for acting on it!

Sean
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:49 PM
I know that between you and I, we could have lifted that 4000 pound car off the dude. The real question is, would we be able to lift a KLR if it were on top of him? I am guessing no.Tough question, KLR's do like to take naps from time to time. If it was a KLR, I'd say he deserves it. Cut our losses and move on. Just my .02

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:55 PM
Fair enough I wasn't trying to push it in that direction though just making the observation that this man is very lucky to be alive and yes i do agree it is amazing to see a crowd of complete strangers help lift an entire car for one man no matter who he was or what he was wearing. When i watched the video for the first time i got a wave of "Wow that is something truly beautiful" that came over me! Human nature is amazing and good on these people for acting on it!

Don't be so grim all the time lol /doubleentendre'

grim
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Don't be so grim all the time lol /doubleentendre'

:lol:

DorJammer
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Dude, open your vag and argue with me. Don't be all quiet and bashful. You know I like my ladies strong and outspoken.

the Drama, how far can they go!

Spiderman
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 02:02 PM
Awesome! :applause:

I've never understood the "omg somebody should totally help that person while I stand here watching and record" thing.

In all (ok, some?) fairness, the person shooting video wasn't just standing beside the fiery wreckage filming instead of helping... according to the commentary in this news report (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/44499884/ns/today-today_people/t/caught-tape-motorcyclist-rescued-fiery-crash/), the video was recorded by a person in a nearby office building.

mdub
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 05:55 PM
.......someone was really watching over this guy to help him survive this crash.

the guy looked gone after the folks pulled him out. He survived?

Vellos
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:40 PM
Yeah he's in stable condition, mentioned in first post. The Mormons saved the day!

mdub
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM
mormons did good.

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 12:07 AM

I didn't read this comment until just now when I was in bed watching Murder She Wrote. I giggled. Do you faggots go to alibis anymore or what?

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 08:22 AM
Good news is so rare nowadays, especially involving a motorcycle. Glad the guy's gonna be ok!

And regardless of what gear the dude may have been wearing, someone did pull out in front of him and he is gonna live.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 12:16 PM
I didn't read this comment until just now when I was in bed watching Murder She Wrote. I giggled. Do you faggots go to alibis anymore or what?

Yepper. All the time. Lots of sweet bikers in Harley gear there.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 04:09 PM
Those guys turned out to be real assholes:

http://i.imgur.com/SxsGK.gif

Jmetz
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
And regardless of what gear the dude may have been wearing, someone did pull out in front of him and he is gonna live.

And it was a newer beemer so he's gettin paid!

JustSomeDude
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 04:33 PM
And it was a newer beemer so he's gettin paid!

Turns out the driver of the BMW is a department head at USU - the same university where the motorcyclist is a student...

http://directory.usu.edu/aggie/4b72e2/

Referenced here... http://www.usustatesman.com/heroes-lift-car-saving-student-1.2627362

Sleev
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 07:15 PM
^ lol, good grades for life

grim
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 07:37 PM
^ lol, good grades for life

Shit with the check he is probably going to get he may not need to finish school!