PDA

View Full Version : New Study Shows Marijuana Makes You Lose Weight

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:38 AM
People who smoke marijuana regularly are less likely to be obese than non-pot smokers, according to a new study by French researches.
“We found that cannabis users are less likely to be obese than non-users,” Dr. Yann Le Strat (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/Yann+Le+Strat), French psychiatrist and co-author of a new study in the American Journal of Epidemiology (http://www.nydailynews.com/topics/American+Journal+of+Epidemiology) told MSNBC. “We were so surprised, we thought we had [made] a mistake.”
Using data from two epidemiologic studies of U.S. adults, researchers found that between 22% to 25% of participants who didn’t smoke pot were obese.

But only between 14% and 17% of those people who admitted to taking a toke at least three times a week were overweight.
Le Strat said other factors, such as the stoners’ level of physical activity or diets, could have contributed to the results, but his team tried to rule out those factors.
The researches were also quick to point out that sucking on a bong isn’t the key to a tight tummy.
“The take-home message is certainly not ‘smoke cannabis, it will help you lose weight,’” Le Strat said. “The possibility that cannabis is associated with a lower risk of obesity remains an interesting hypothesis, but certainly does not counterbalance its negative effects on health and mental health.”

http://theonlinehealthjournal.com/new-study-shows-marijuana-makes-you-lose-weight/
http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/content/early/2011/08/24/aje.kwr200.abstract

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Now, I am not an anti-weed advocate. I like it. It's fun. BUT, the research here is a bit suspect:

"Le Strat said other factors, such as the stoners’ level of physical activity or diets, could have contributed to the results, but his team tried to rule out those factors."

So those have zero bearing on a tokers weight? Exercise and diet has NOTHING to do with being a fat fuck or a skinny person? Weather you smoke or not, you still have dietary and physical habbits that influence your level of lard.

I am pretty sure they were high while performing this research and I am sure they used some of the money to buy weed and twinkies. And they did not share with ME!

Weed makes ya skinnay!!

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/files/2011/02/kevin-smith.jpg

Ezzzzy1
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Smoke on smokers

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:14 AM
"Le Strat said other factors, such as the stoners’ level of physical activity or diets, could have contributed to the results, but his team tried to rule out those factors."
Now even that is kind of against what people label as "stoners"; lazy and sit around eating junk food.

Keyser Soze
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:39 AM
:lol: I used to smoke a little before the gym. Was almost better than a pre workout for me.

Devaclis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!!! lol I know a bunch of peeps that you would never know were stoners.

Bake on Bakers /Scer

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:57 AM
:lol: I used to smoke a little before the gym. Was almost better than a pre workout for me. Funny because I had a personal trainer tell me it was ok and encouraged to smoke weed before going to the gym because it helps concentration and great for muscle soreness. My friend told me it did help and was even better with some Jack3d; perfect focus and energy :D

Beefcake, BEEFCAKE!!! lol I know a bunch of peeps that you would never know were stoners.

Bake on Bakers /Scer They must use visine :lol:

Zach929rr
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Only hippies and gypsys smoke weed. Psssffhht

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:33 PM
Only hippies and gypsys smoke weed. Psssffhht Agree, smoking is so primitive with all the advances in technology :D

madvlad
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Against drugs 100% but to each its own.

Sleev
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Funny because I had a personal trainer tell me it was ok and encouraged to smoke weed before going to the gym because it helps concentration and great for muscle soreness. My friend told me it did help and was even better with some Jack3d; perfect focus and energy

I call BS, if I'm high and at the gym, all I want to do is GTFO

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 12:58 PM
I call BS, if I'm high and at the gym, all I want to do is GTFO I know people that do it daily and work out 6 days a week for at least an hour a day. They are ripped and less than 10% body fat; not saying from the weed, but I guess some people can handle the gym while high and get good results (and yes some are 100% legal with their Medical cards, so no worries).

Keyser Soze
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 01:03 PM
I call BS, if I'm high and at the gym, all I want to do is GTFO

That's you. Everyone reacts differently to different substances. Shit I have a buddy that drinks a redbull before he goes to sleep.

McVaaahhh
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I know MMA fighters that smoke up and then go training.

Although, it was amusing to watch them hack up a ton of shit on a 5-mile run. :lol:

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 01:43 PM
That's you. Everyone reacts differently to different substances. Shit I have a buddy that drinks a redbull before he goes to sleep.

+1
Pot makes me unable to sit still. I keep a clean house, but it was spotless when I used to smoke.

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 02:04 PM
I know MMA fighters that smoke up and then go training.

Although, it was amusing to watch them hack up a ton of shit on a 5-mile run. :lol: See post #9 on here for the cure! :D

So you still training with MMA guys in AZ now?

That's you. Everyone reacts differently to different substances. Shit I have a buddy that drinks a redbull before he goes to sleep. Exactly! Then I know people that have drank one Red Bull and thought they were going to have a heart attack. Just like cigarettes, first time I tried them I hated them and could not understand it, then had friends smoke cigs and loved it.

laspariahs
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Someone should do a study about how many people die in the Mexican drug war for every pound of weed smoked, that includes the "domestically" produced weed.

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Someone should do a study about how many people die in the Mexican drug war for every pound of weed smoked, that includes the "domestically" produced weed. Well I highly doubt people are ever going to stop, so the solution is to make it legal and the drug cartels would crumble (well except for cocaine profits). Tax it and use the money for things to help the country. Look at California; it pretty much got them out of debt and Colorado is not far behind with all the taxes we get from it. I am against hardcore drugs, but I feel weed is no more harmfull than cigarettes and alcohol; all which bring in loads of tax dollars and stop these stupid Mexican drug wars!

Sean
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 03:14 PM
Maybe stoners have it figured out? Instead of eating large meals, they simply "graze" throughout the day. ie: having the munchies Thus, keeping their metabolism going and consistant, in stead of spiking it twice a day. Just a thought. :dunno:

Interesting research, yes. Slightly flawed reserch, I'm afraid so. Either way, thanks for sharing. :up:

bulldog
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Maybe stoners have it figured out? Instead of eating large meals, they simply "graze" throughout the day. ie: having the munchies Thus, keeping their metabolism going and consistant, in stead of spiking it twice a day. Just a thought. :dunno:

Interesting research, yes. Slightly flawed reserch, I'm afraid so. Either way, thanks for sharing. :up: Even that small change in a diet can do wonders! Twice a day makes the body store fat, but eating every two hours makes it proccess the fat and store very little. When we eat once or twice a day the body never knows when it will get "fuel" again, so stores it as fat. I've been doing this nearly 5 years now...

Sean
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Even that small change in a diet can do wonders! Twice a day makes the body store fat, but eating every two hours makes it proccess the fat and store very little. When we eat once or twice a day the body never knows when it will get "fuel" again, so stores it as fat. I've been doing this nearly 5 years now...And that's why I brought it up. But just as important, and even more important, is the fuel you put into your body on a regular basis (which is where the "joke" aspect to my post came into play). I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that the majority of habitual pot smokers don't grab fruit, lean meats or almonds when they get the munchies. :lol:

McVaaahhh
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM
So you still training with MMA guys in AZ now?

Unfortunately no. There's really not much time for me to schedule much of anything, just trying to make it into the gym as much as possible. I really miss it though, was awesome training! :up:

mdub
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 05:37 PM
Pot makes me unable to sit still.

its the opposite for me.....so i leave it alone...

derekm
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:17 PM
i miss pot :(

Ezzzzy1
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 11:31 PM
i miss pot :( I know a guy that tells me that the stuff now-a-days is pretty FN good :dunno:

Keyser Soze
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I know a guy that tells me that the stuff now-a-days is pretty FN good :dunno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSw75zU9lcE&feature=related

~Barn~
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 08:15 AM
I know a guy that tells me that the stuff now-a-days is pretty FN good :dunno:

I may know that same guy. :think:

bulldog
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSw75zU9lcE&feature=related So funny and so true! :D

modette99
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I know a guy in Denver who smokes daily, (his job must not do checks...lol) and he is 300-350 lbs. Very nice guy, but yep he eats a LOT. Maybe its not from the pot, he also drinks too a lot. So could be a combination.

I know the stuff makes one hungry, that's a fact.

Snowman
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Obviously this is flawed data if they didn't take into consideration the subjects proximity to a Taco Bell...

Sleev
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Doug Benson seems to keep in good shape :dunno:

bulldog
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Doug Benson seems to keep in good shape :dunno: Nick Diaz has his Medical Marijuana card
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/429/682/NickDiaz2_display_image.jpg?1286343536

thatmofo
Sat Sep 17th, 2011, 11:52 PM
People who smoke marijuana regularly are less likely to be obese than non-pot smokers, according to a new study by French researches...

Exercise does the same thing and it doesn't have any side effects

bulldog
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Exercise does the same thing and it doesn't have any side effects http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/10/23/129008111882678865.jpg

Shea
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I can't stand how our media reports, and the general population interprets scientific studies (*cough* polar bears). Correlation does not equal causality. There are far too many variables that go into weight to make any sort of judgement based on the data analysis of two surveys.

"Hmmm, look at this data. Interesting correlation here, we should look into this. - Scientist

"OMG, OMG! X causes Y! Start using X" - Populace

"Uh, that's not what we're saying. We have just found a strong positive correlation between the occurrence of X and the occurrence of Y. The proper link is yet unknown and bears further study." -Scientist

Tilts their head to the side for a second, blinks..."X causes Y! Start using X!"