PDA

View Full Version : Ducati Owners: Need advice

Swift
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I have a guy who is willing to trade a 2001 Ducati 750ss with 18K miles that is in need of a new fuel injector and paint for my BMW. I've been looking at the power specs vs what I have now and I'm hesitant to say the least. I've never ridden a super sport so I have no idea what I'm in for. I'm supposed to meet the guy tomorrow.

I guess I'm trying to ask if this is a good deal or if I should press on with the sale and pull a loan on something else.

As a side note, I went and rode a 2003 GSXR 600 over at GPM today. Left me empty inside with the dismal low end power as I expected.

Clovis
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:02 PM
A 600 doesn't really come alive until 8000 RPMs

ImortalUK
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:04 PM
Keep the bmw if u do want the bike bring it by te shop and will give it a look over

Bueller
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:16 PM
Doesn't much sound like the liter bike action you were talking about getting.
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Ducati/Ducati-750SS-1991-2002/

If you learn how to ride the motor of a 600 it'll get you around way faster than you imagine. Your test ride must have been pretty low key?

Me, I am going to be happy as a clam on a Ninja 650r and I doubt I will outgrow it on the streets even 2-up.

Swift
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 06:32 PM
Test ride went 470-deer creek-470 back. Averaged good speed through the canyons since I was riding with Fish. I guess I'm just still trying to get used to no balls under 7000-8000K rpm.

I guess I'm trying to justify if this is a good starting Ducati. It needs to be repainted which isn't a huge deal for me since I know how to paint. It's a fuel injector that needs replacement according to him, not a pump (my mistake).

peteremsley
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I've had a couple of ducs and I think they are the most fun you can ride in the canyons.
That said, if it needs paint, an injector, (and belts and valve shims perhaps)? Might not be the best option.

Sean
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Test ride went 470-deer creek-470 back. Averaged good speed through the canyons since I was riding with Fish. I guess I'm just still trying to get used to no balls under 7000-8000K rpm. 600's are weak under 7k (unless you re-gear it), it's just a different riding experience. My r6 used to peak at 8 and 13k. When you had the engine screaming at 13k coming out of a corner on the track, it will not have you feeling "empty" inside. :shocked:

I guess I'm trying to justify if this is a good starting Ducati. It needs to be repainted which isn't a huge deal for me since I know how to paint. It's a fuel injector that needs replacement according to him, not a pump (my mistake).I would say that you should ride the bike and see what you think. If the numbers line-up, more or less, and you're willing to repaint and do the fuel pump, why not? Hopefully Rybo will post up, he's the local Ducati nut.

Jmetz
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 07:53 PM
I love mine but make sure your pocketbook can handle the upkeep. If its needing work it may not be the best deal for you.

Lomax
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 08:41 PM
The 750ss is a great bike but has a VERY radical seating position. Also be prepared to replace timing belts and maybe even rocker arms depending on the year.

It will have low end torque unlike the 600.

If you want to know everything about the Duc give Mike down at Supertune a call as he is the expert.

What do you think your BMW is worth? Then check craigs for super sports in that price range. I know where there is a super clean 1000ss for $5K just to give you an idea.

Maintenance records are key to buying a used Ducati.

Marc

Jmetz
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:16 PM
The seating position doesn't look very radical to me?

asp_125
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:30 PM
I had an '01 750 Sport Dark (very similar). Air cooled twin has torque and you can just keep it in 3rd and roll on and off the throttle in the canyons. But power wise, it wasn't that much faster than a weak 600. I kind of put it in between my SV650 and my GSX-R600.

Upside? Desmodue motor is not as expensive to maintain as the Desmoquattros. Nevermind what people say about Ducs being expensive to service; no more so than your average supersport. Mine had a pair of Remus Carbon cans.. the sound was aural sex.

Downside? Tank shape on that series of bike and the forward reach to the clip ons make long rides a pain in the gut unless you have a long torso.

Entry level Duc? Find a Monster for a more satisfying ride. The SS's are kind of a love hate thing, more of an odd-ball style that only Ducatistis can appreciate.

rybo
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 09:55 PM
My .02

I agree with most of the above. The problem with the seating position for some on the SS is the long reach to the bars.

The 2V motor is really pretty easy to work on, and with some time and basic tools you could easily do the work yourself. If you're not into that, then there are several good shops in the area that can do the work for reasonable money for you. Marc (lomax) has it right - service records and condition are key with a used duc. Ones that have been taken care of last a long time and perform well. These bikes do not handle abuse as well as, say, a GSXR or an R6.

Instead of replacing an injector I would probably just look for a good used set of throttle bodies. Imperial Sportbikes here in Denver often has this kind of stuff for sale. If you visit them please let them know I sent you.

If the paint doesn't bother you, fine, but to me a 2001 that needs paint begs the question "why" If the paint is faded from sun exposure with only 18K miles on the bike then it sat in the sun a lot and probably has other rubber and fabric parts that are going to need replacing sometime soon.

I've ridden both an R1150R (like yours) and a Supersport 750. I'm a big ducati fan and have owned several Ducs over the years. If I had to pick between the R1150 and the SS750 as my only bike, I'd keep the BMW.

I like Jeff's suggestion - look for a monster. I really like the s2r1000 - has the single sided swingarm, which is one of my favorite duc looks, a 1000cc air cooled 2V motor that's easy to work on. The seating position isn't all that brutal. It's a great "only" bike.

My .02

scott

asp_125
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:10 PM
If you REALLY want a SS Ducati, Mike at Supertune has this SS1000 for sale. http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/2573826282.html

Mother Goose
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:11 PM
Getting rid of one boring bike for another? Sounds awesome! :lol: jk..... maybe. I don't think you'd be happy with the power of the SS, especially if you thought the 600 was meh.

Swift
Tue Sep 13th, 2011, 10:29 PM
My .02

I agree with most of the above. The problem with the seating position for some on the SS is the long reach to the bars.

The 2V motor is really pretty easy to work on, and with some time and basic tools you could easily do the work yourself. If you're not into that, then there are several good shops in the area that can do the work for reasonable money for you. Marc (lomax) has it right - service records and condition are key with a used duc. Ones that have been taken care of last a long time and perform well. These bikes do not handle abuse as well as, say, a GSXR or an R6.

Instead of replacing an injector I would probably just look for a good used set of throttle bodies. Imperial Sportbikes here in Denver often has this kind of stuff for sale. If you visit them please let them know I sent you.

If the paint doesn't bother you, fine, but to me a 2001 that needs paint begs the question "why" If the paint is faded from sun exposure with only 18K miles on the bike then it sat in the sun a lot and probably has other rubber and fabric parts that are going to need replacing sometime soon.

I've ridden both an R1150R (like yours) and a Supersport 750. I'm a big ducati fan and have owned several Ducs over the years. If I had to pick between the R1150 and the SS750 as my only bike, I'd keep the BMW.

I like Jeff's suggestion - look for a monster. I really like the s2r1000 - has the single sided swingarm, which is one of my favorite duc looks, a 1000cc air cooled 2V motor that's easy to work on. The seating position isn't all that brutal. It's a great "only" bike.

My .02

scott
Appreciate the insight. Its good to hear it from someone with experience.

I really like the Sport Classic 1000 (maybe being in the new Tron made an impact, who knows lol). Really hard to find one these days though.

You're right Goose, I think I'm gonna hold out for a real cash buyer.

Thanks for the comments guys. I'm on the Ducati.ms board but its a pita to find the right info sometimes.

Titus
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 09:12 AM
+1

Monster S2R 800 or S2R 1000.

Perfect starter duc.

I started off on a monster695 I bought for the gf, I had more fun riding that than my cbr 1000rr.

Swift
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Had someone offer to trade a 2004 K1200RS with 17K miles for my bike today. I lol'd. I don't see how that fits in the "Sport" category being 600+lbs with 130hp.

ian22
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have a little bit of experience with Ducatis but I have yet to ride a 2v bike. I can tell you without doubt that 2003 gsxr600 will blow away the 750ss. Honestly, those bikes aren't even in the same league....the brakes and suspension on the gsxr will be much better, and it'll go down the back straight at hpr much faster.

Swift
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 11:40 AM
I've already told the guy to stick it. He sent me some pics on the phone today and I damn near heaved into the trash can in my office. All of the plastics are covered in black primer, the seat looks like someone had chipotle leaking through their pants, etc. It was no bueno, and the guy is asking $3200 for it. LOL

Jim_Vess
Wed Sep 14th, 2011, 10:01 PM
One of my neighbors has a yellow Sport Classic 1000. It's one damn nice looking bike.