PDA

View Full Version : Is there something like an MMI here?

Jmetz
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:18 AM
So I've been giving it a lot of thought lately and I would like to learn to be a motorcycle mechanic. I have the general aptitude and it's something I enjoy doing. I'd like to look into pursuing it as a career. I really don't want to relocate to learn the trade, but if it's necessary I'll have to consider it.

Any input is appreciated.

Wrider
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Closest accredited institution is Wyotech. It's in... *drumroll please* WYOMING!
Otherwise no, it's Phoenix, Florida (more for watercraft), or Wyoming.

usmcab35
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:47 AM
isnt there some big mechanic school off I70 and like havana or periora? I thought i got a flyer in the mail about some motorcycle mech school.. hmm

Sean
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:57 AM
I'd like to look into pursuing it as a career.
The last thing I want to do, is limit somebody's potential, but be sure to research info on being a mechanic. It can be a hard career in many ways (to my understanding) with certain sacrifices. Maybe talk to some of the mechanics and shops in the area about the pro's and con's to the field. And to get their take in the industry and opportunity in Denver.

Had a buddy who went to MMI in Arizona. He liked the school and learned a lot.

Jmetz
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
isnt there some big mechanic school off I70 and like havana or periora? I thought i got a flyer in the mail about some motorcycle mech school.. hmm

I think thats DADC. I've never seen much in the way of an accredited motorcycle mechanic school here. Was going there was but it doesn't look like it.

Jmetz
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The last thing I want to do, is limit somebody's potential, but be sure to research info on being a mechanic. It can be a hard career in many ways (to my understanding) with certain sacrifices. Maybe talk to some of the mechanics and shops in the area about the pro's and con's to the field. And to get their take in the industry and opportunity in Denver.

Had a buddy who went to MMI in Arizona. He liked the school and learned a lot.

Definitely good advice and some of the discussion I'm hopping to get here. I'm sure it's a tougher field here.

Did your buddy have to relocate while he attended and if so how was that? Is he in the field now?

Wrider
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Well I can tell you you definitely have to relocate. 5 hours a day 5 days a week.
A running joke in the motorcycle industry (Ask TFOG) is "How do you make a small fortune in the motorcycle industry? Start with a large one."

Class of Oct 07 to Jan 09

longrider
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Closest accredited institution is Wyotech. It's in... *drumroll please* WYOMING!
Otherwise no, it's Phoenix, Florida (more for watercraft), or Wyoming.

Just FYI Wyotech does not teach bikes at the Laramie campus. You have to go to either Florida or California for bikes.

Many years ago (yes I am a FOG), Denver Institute of Technology (now Westwood) had a motorcycle technician program. However that folded as bikes became more complex and the training more extensive. Now Wyotech and MMI are all I know of

Sean
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Did your buddy have to relocate while he attended and if so how was that? Is he in the field now?Yes, he had to move to Phoenix, AZ. And no, he is not in the field anymore. He got a job right out of school through a connection he had back home (we're from Wisconsin) to work at a HD dealership. But being the low man in rank, he only lasted two seasons because they had to lay him off every winter. Now he works in a non-related field.

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:02 PM
There is a motorcycle program here. The new guy at TFOG went there. Can't remember the name of it though... was just chatting him up about it the other day.

brennahm
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:26 PM
DEFINITELY talk to a mechanic about the life that you'll be leading. I looked into it and it's just not worth it to me to lay out that kind of money for almost no income for almost a decade.

Jmetz
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:23 PM
Hmm wow the outlook is a lot more grim then I thought. That sucks. Anyone want an apprentice?

brennahm
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Your problem is that every joe schmoe around HAS gone to the school...even if they can't install a battery (true story).

Good luck man, even as an apprentice you're still looking at massive tool outlay and years of little money. Honestly, there's no way I'd be a moto mechanic in a place with a 4-5 month dead season.

bulldog
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:51 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_BhBlXDBh9S0/TAf3p6xUr_I/AAAAAAAAH9w/pSwZSyMrwVI/s1600/brandon20bradley20-20broken_dreams.jpg

rfranks303
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I've looked into this quite a bit and have looked into mmi. I'm currenty doning some online and mail in course, This will more than likley get me no respect but I wanted the knowledge. Pickens tech is in aurora and not very expensive. I think its two semesters and it power sports not just bikes. I'm not sure how good the program is. the hours don't work with my work schedule. If you find a desent program with night hours ill sign up with you.

Jmetz
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'll let you know if I find anything. I definitely want to learn it.

FZRguy
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 01:18 AM
I'd love it...the school that is. Work as a moto tech, no.