PDA

View Full Version : Dirt gear

asp_125
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
Ok so school me on dirt gear. Specifically your thoughts on roost deflectors vs body armor. Can't decide which to get for trail riding and enduro riding.

I see the standard roost deflector + elbow pad setup, and some (Matty) have the mesh jersey with armor built in. Same level of protection?

What about the neck braces, like Leatt and the lower horse collar ones from A*? They seem to be more common now.

50sGrl and I have been riding the trails with our street dual sport jackets and gloves. They do get kind of warm though I like having multiple pockets for stuff.

Sean
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Roost deflectors are solid and work good, but they can move around, one of the biggest downsides. And you have to do separate elbow pads. One of the best options IMHO is to get a compression/protective suit (link (http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/10/1/0/0/DEPARTMENT/Dirt-Bike-Motocross-Protection-Mens-Riding-Gear.aspx#&&Back=0-0-0%2c700-274-0-0-0-24-1-1-1)) and wear it under your jacket or jersey. You can always take the armor out of your jacket so it's more comfy. The plastic isn't as hard as a roost, but will protect you. More importantly, it's all one piece and it'll stay in place in the event of a crash.

As for pockets, chances are that'll have a camelback with you if you are riding in hot weather (or you should) and that can be used as your pockets.

Don't know much about neck braces. My impression is that people mostly wear them at tracks. Can't help there.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I am really fond of my Zac Pack. It is a hydration pack/backpack with an interchangeable roost deflector/backpack straps. I use the HELL out of mine. 3l water bladder, room for tools and spare parts, hard back protector built in. The sell them at performance.

https://www.b4bmotorsport.com/images/T/_C9U2842.jpg

http://www.zacspeed.com/10site/usa/home.shtml

Bueller
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I cant wear the compression suits, too hot for me.
I have the same one as Dana above, the bladder was nice before the f'ed up valve dumped water all over me one day and now it has a camelback bladder in it. I took the silly arm guards off too.
Buy really good elbow pads and knee guards, that is what you hit when you fall. If you go with the chest protector don't get a roost protector, as they are front only, get a full chest/back and suspension shoulder pad. Wear it on the inside of a bigger jersey if you are worried about it moving on you and wear a back pack over it all with a waist strap.

Matty
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:47 PM
This is what I got..... http://www.sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Moto.aspx?id=d8d6867c-f514-4986-8460-90242948c304&product=854aaf13-0e07-4ec0-8fe1-8566b8121996

plus I ride with knee guards under my MX pants.

Bashed
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
I use a Tek Vest. Kinda the best of both but expensive. I found a lightly used one for a c-note on fleabay.
Good advice from Bueller, get some knee and elbow gaurds as they usually hit the ground first, along with your hands, so get a good pair of gloves. IMO, the dirt specific gloves are just that, for dirt only. They are designed for motocross where the dirt is watered down and generally softer. I wear a pair of Mekanics with a leather palm and hard knuckes for better protection.
Also a good pair of boots, I cant count how mant times my Sidi's saved my ankles from getting hurt. Hope this helps your quest.

asp_125
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 06:46 PM
Thanks, we have the dirt boots, knee pads, and motocross pants so the lower extremities are covered. Just wondering what options to get for the uppers.

DW
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 03:27 PM
I have what Matty has, just a couple years older model and I like it. I laid her down at Rampart this summer and landed right on my elbow. Not a scratch to my elbow....it did great. Did put a hole in the elbow of my jersey though.

FZRguy
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 10:15 PM
Ditto on the 661 compression upper...crash tested many times. Performance stocks them.