PDA

View Full Version : Plea Bargains

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:24 PM
How long do they usually take to get to you in the mail? Has anybody NOT received one and had to go to court instead? It has been a month now and I still haven't received anything. Court date is Oct 6th and the system doesn't even see my ticket in there.

I really don't want to go talk to a shitty old judge for this stupid wheelie ticket. Just send me the plea bargain and let me pay.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:34 PM
I've always had to appear to get them to wheel-n-deal (pun intended) YMMV

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:39 PM
Do you wheel and deal with the judge or with the DA?

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I've never gotten one in the mail. It was always when I got to the court house.

brennahm
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:42 PM
Thornton PD sent mine in the mail. All jurisdictions are different.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 01:52 PM
Last one was a speeding ticket in Westminster. Super cool DA knocked it from 38 over to 25 over (but no points off). Super cool judge knocked it down to 10-20 over 4 pointer.

Keep in mind I had bad situation where a cager was tailgaiting me + road rage driver in right lane was preventing me from getting over. he accelerated to keep me from getting in front and brake checked hard when I tried to get in behind. So i twisted it to leap ahead... and got popped by the motorcycle cop on the left shoulder :banghead:. I explained all to DA first, then judge. didn't BS them, yes sir'd the crap outta them. Told them I'd make diff choice next time yada, yada...

So to summarize, Both. I've had other negotiations where the (asst) DA was the only one to deal with (adams county)

Vitesse304
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I tend to go through cycles of getting tickets. Seems about every 2-3 years...

Every jurisdiction is different, but in all of them, it's best to show up to get the plea deal.

Never just send in a payment, or do the early discount. All my tickets have been dropped to a non-moving violation (busted tail light, defective vehicle, etc...) or dropped entirely if the ticket is lost due to an administrative error.

Most times, it's 1 or 2 points and a fine that is less than the speeding ticket. Plus, it also helps that it's not a moving violation that your insurance cares about.

I've only had to talk to the judge once, and he just reprimanded me for speeding, in all other instances, you meet with the DA.

Your "court date" isn't even court. It's an opportunity to plead or accept a deal. Just show up on your court date and tell the DA or whomever that you would like to discuss a plea bargain. Yes it takes some time but it's better than paying a huge fine and having it show up on your driving record.

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Good to hear. I was wondering if they plead it down, does your insurance company see the previous charge, or the pleaded charge.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:25 PM
The one in Westminster was the only ticket I've ever had that I couldn't plead to a non-moving violation. Probably because I was doing 93 in a 55 :dunno:

Your ins company only sees what you were convicted of and can't (or at least won't) raise rates based on non-moving convictions. At least mine never has.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Also, don't underestimate the value of dressing properly for court. It's a sign of respect that does not go unnoticed. Wear slacks and a button-up shirt minimum.

And, if you can, get there early to be first in line. That way you get to talk to the DA/judge before all the disrespectful slobs in their ripped jeans and flip-flops piss the guy off.

Every little thing you can do to make yourself seem remorseful and respectful helps.

vort3xr6
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I dress in shirt and tie for work so dressing up won't be a problem. I will just wear my suit that day.

stubbicatt
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 06:04 AM
The one in Westminster was the only ticket I've ever had that I couldn't plead to a non-moving violation. Probably because I was doing 93 in a 55 :dunno:

Your ins company only sees what you were convicted of and can't (or at least won't) raise rates based on non-moving convictions. At least mine never has.

Well the nature of the offense is one thing, sure. But Westminster is really a bad place to have to go to Municipal Court for anything. The prosecutors there strive hard to deserve and maintain their retched reputations.

Vitesse304
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 09:43 AM
Most jurisdictions just want the money. Traffic tickets, parking tickets, etc...are just ways for the department to try to break even or produce some profit so that it's not just a cost center.

DA's and the courts don't want to spend their time in court fighting over a petty traffic ticket so deals are often struck unless you have a record, multiple tickets were issued, or it was extremely high speeds or careless driving. It's always wise to be there to show the court that you are serious about possibly taking it to trial.

Don't get me wrong, laws are in place to protect the public and if you broke the law, pay for it, but the way insurance is wrapped around it as well as some of the crazy high fines and points on your license, it's best to find a way to minimize the collateral damage (insurance premiums, cash out of pocket, etc...)

To summarize, don't sweat it. Show up, look respectable, be respectable and request a plea deal. In most cases, your file is already pulled with a plea deal in it that you just sign and then pay the fine. In and out in about a half hour if there isn't a long line, or if your last name doesn't start with Z.

Ricky
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Usually for careless you have to show up to court and talk to the DA. They will tell you what you get, and you can choose to accept or not.

vort3xr6
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 02:38 PM
BUMP.

No wonder I didn't get a plea bargain.

I just received a motion to amend summons and complaint letter.

The cop selected "Traffic Infraction" when he should have selected "Traffic Offense", so the municipal attorney filed a motion to amend the complaint.

There will be a hearing on the motion to amend on October 6th. I really want to bring papers to oppose the amendment but I can't find a good template to work off of.

I think this is bullshit. The cop made a mistake on the citation and now the municipal attorney is covering his ass by changing it via amendment.

Any advice?

vort3xr6
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 02:40 PM
I could always motion for continuance on account of surprise from the new information. That way the stupid cunt witness and the cop would have to come back again.

Bueller
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 02:51 PM
I doubt anyone but you will need to show up until it goes to trial (after not guilty plea).
The continuances need to be asked for at that time if you are trying to inconvenience them.

vort3xr6
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 02:54 PM
I still would like a plea bargain as I really don't want this to go to trial. Just pissed at the mistake correction made by the attorney.

Bueller
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
When you go in they will likely have you talk to an asst. DA and they will have a plea bargin worked out already to offer you in exchange for a guilty plea, you can take it or not before you ever go in front of a judge for the initial arraignment.

Bueller
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 03:04 PM
It sounds like they wrote a citation instead of a summons (automatic appearance). They are just correcting an error, sort of like if they get your address or other detail wrong it isn't grounds for dismissal it is just a clerical error.

Zach929rr
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 03:09 PM
you should use the "this dick" defense.

Bueller
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Apparently you should blame a cop named Melvin

Vitesse304
Mon Sep 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
They will still give you a plea bargain. Show up to the amendement and just tell them you would like to plead guilty to a lesser offense. You should be able to pay it then too and be done with the whole thing.

It's just a clerical error and the amendment doesn't automatically mean that you are guilty of the crime and that they will make you pay for it. It's just paperwork on their side.

cptschlongenheimer
Mon Sep 26th, 2011, 09:25 AM
I still would like a plea bargain as I really don't want this to go to trial. Just pissed at the mistake correction made by the attorney.

These type of corrections are routine.

FWIW... You may get more leverage by letting them believe you're willing to take it to trial... IMO

vort3xr6
Mon Sep 26th, 2011, 09:34 AM
The first step is looking at what the DA (DA's assistant more likely) has to offer in terms of a plea bargain. The goal is to reduce points and accept a charge less likely to cause an insurance hike.

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 07:53 AM
Bump. At the court this morning. Wish me luck. I am going to try and record the meeting with the DA. Cross fingers for 2 pt non moving violation plea bargain!!!

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 08:09 AM
They put me in a court room so it seems I will have to talk to the judge. And she's a woman. I expect no mercy.

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Whew. Okay, so a girl came in to the court room (pretty cute too) and asked if we wanted to speak with a city attorney for a plea bargain one by one. Of course I said yes. Now in the waiting area waiting to get my plea bargain.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Wishing luck...

WolFeYeZ
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:34 AM
Luck wished!

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:41 AM
BOOOOOM! $50 snaps and a 2 point defective headlamp charge.

The city attorney was cute and i turned on the mack and was spreading my vibe. Cracked some jokes and I am pretty sure she was picking up what I was throwing down.

Went back to see the judge and get setencing. Everybody else was getting $100+ for the same charge but I "Yes Your Honor"d the shit out of him, so he gave me a $50 instead of $100.

Brad 1
City of Lakewood 0

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:43 AM
That's a pretty sweet plea bargain. I really hope you learned your lesson out of this whole situation? :lol:

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:45 AM
That's a pretty sweet plea bargain. I really hope you learned your lesson out of this whole situation? :lol:

Yep.

I learned that I need to wear my sex panther cologne and flirt even harder to get a better plea bargain next time.

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:50 AM
I learned that I need to wear my sex panther cologne and flirt even harder to get a better plea bargain next time.
60% of the time, it works every time! :up:

Zach929rr
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Sometimes you just gotta turn that swagga dial up to 11.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
:up:

Good to know the system works...;)

vort3xr6
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Sometimes you just gotta turn that swagga dial up to 11.

http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/036/808/original/likeaboss.jpg?1264041692

asp_125
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:01 AM
:up:

Good to know the system works...;)

Good to know you can work the system... ;)

Zach929rr
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:12 AM
http://cdn1.knowyourmeme.com/i/000/036/808/original/likeaboss.jpg?1264041692

loloololololo

Penadam
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Yep.

Stuff is for real

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/36648_10100107221419348_13704727_54222220_3429046_ n.jpg

Darth Do'Urden
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Ok, so beyond this being extremely entertaining in a way that "reality" TV has never been...what exactly would I do on the morning of the "court date" on my ticket in order to speak with the DA(asst) about a plea bargain? Like, who do I talk to first? I'm sure the DA isn't set up with a window and counter with "Plea Bargains" signage above his head. Do I ask a desk flunky or just say I'm there for my court appearance and wait for the proverbial cute chick to come into the court room and ask individually who wants to plea bargain?

I'll be going to JeffCo court house in Golden in November for my speeding ticket (58 in a 40...stupid canyon speed limits). First time I've chosen to go and plea instead of just paying it, but I really don't want 4 points and $160 out of pocket right now (Christmas is coming, Judge...think of the children! =P).

Bueller
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 03:05 PM
In most cases you will automatically get to talk to the asst. DA before you see a judge, they will offer you a reduced charge that you can take of reject, if you reject it you go into court and enter a not guilty plea and they will set a trial date. I am surprised for such a minor ticket they did not include mail in deal.
If they gave you the option to reduce points and possibly fine if paid by a set date and you passed on it they may not offer you anything.

Vitesse304
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Ok, so beyond this being extremely entertaining in a way that "reality" TV has never been...what exactly would I do on the morning of the "court date" on my ticket in order to speak with the DA(asst) about a plea bargain? Like, who do I talk to first? I'm sure the DA isn't set up with a window and counter with "Plea Bargains" signage above his head. Do I ask a desk flunky or just say I'm there for my court appearance and wait for the proverbial cute chick to come into the court room and ask individually who wants to plea bargain?

I'll be going to JeffCo court house in Golden in November for my speeding ticket (58 in a 40...stupid canyon speed limits). First time I've chosen to go and plea instead of just paying it, but I really don't want 4 points and $160 out of pocket right now (Christmas is coming, Judge...think of the children! =P).

You're going to pay a fine regardless, most places it will be a little less, but consider that money gone. Rarely, unless you go to court and actually fight the ticket and win will the fine be reduced or taken away completely.

Never just pay it. Always go get the plea deal. You will see the DA 1st, or even just an administrator who has the plea bargain in a folder. Most times it will be a non-moving violation. If it is a reduced speed or a moving infraction, request to see DA or discuss the situation. In Douglas county, you actually get time to sit with the DA and explain what happened.

It's different in all counties, but most will offer a plea deal. In Adams county they put you directly in front of the judge immediately, it's at his/her discretion as to what happens. They base it on your driving record, where the infraction took place, and the notes that the officer wrote for the case.

In all cases, and especially when you get pulled over, be curteous, respectful and pour on the yes sir. Always ask the officer if you can get a warning. Rarely works, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Hope that helps. I've gotten tickets all over the place and have never not had the judge or DA give a plea bargain of a non-moving violation and only 1 or 2 points against my record.

Clovis
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 07:45 PM
Don't forget that when you go to court, they will add court cost and they're kind of expensive now.

10 years ago it was like $10, now it's closer to $70 in addition to the fine.

vort3xr6
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Don't forget that when you go to court, they will add court cost and they're kind of expensive now.

10 years ago it was like $10, now it's closer to $70 in addition to the fine.

Mine was $35 in Lakewood.

Darth Do'Urden
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Are the court costs incurred even if you don't see a judge and just talk to a DA-type?

I've got $160 set aside already...I just want to see if I can get the points reduced and also knocked down from a moving violation. Even if I end up paying the full $160 it would be worth it to not have the points and moving violation on my record.

stubbicatt
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 07:46 AM
Are the court costs incurred even if you don't see a judge and just talk to a DA-type?

I've got $160 set aside already...I just want to see if I can get the points reduced and also knocked down from a moving violation. Even if I end up paying the full $160 it would be worth it to not have the points and moving violation on my record.

Generally, unless waived by a judge, court costs are incurred if you show up in court and don't prepay the citation or take advantage of any early payment option.