PDA

View Full Version : drivers keeping up too close

mdub
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:03 PM
i like to get to my destination the quickest and safest way possible. I don't like it when i get a follower at all. after coverng several car lengths ahead sometimes the jack-ass is right there...why do these sub-humans play games like this. i know several reasons why. i just don't like anyone drafting off of me.

Nooch
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Thats odd, Ive been very lucky lately, especially in the rain. I had cages in front and behind that were giving me LOTS of elbow room the last few times I got caught in rain. Even when I had to brake, they kept their distance. But my situation is surely rare, Colorado is a melting pot in terms of drivers. Most are only semi-functional in the head while behind the wheel lol.

Devaclis
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:50 PM
As any MSF instructor and numerous safty guides will instruct you; if you have a tailgater increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If that does not work, move over and let them by. Dying to prove a point is still dying.

mdub
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
As any MSF instructor and numerous safty guides will instruct you, if you ahve a tailgater, increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. Ifthat does not work, move over and let them by..

zactly.....hey if you wanna go faster than me ..have at it.

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 02:55 PM
As any MSF instructor and numerous safty guides will instruct you; if you have a tailgater increase the distance between you and the vehicle in front of you. If that does not work, move over and let them by. Dying to prove a point is still dying.
^^Good points.

I usually try the double tap the brake lights solution a couple of times before I turn around, point at them, and give them a back up signal (open palm pushing away from me). Usually that's enough because they don't realize they're as close as they are. If you don't flip 'em off, I've had most folks react well to that method. Then I'll toss 'em a thumbs up as a thanks.

BlueRanger
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:12 PM
To why they do it meta is right, some honestly don't realize. Others are jerks and some are plain ignorant. My sister for examples, no offense lol. You know how when you first learn to drive they say when stopping (red light, stop sign, whatever) leave enough room between the vehicle in front of you by making sure you can see their rear tire over your hood? She believes the same concept when going 65 down the highway. As long as I can see their rear tire, no matter how fast I'm going, I'm good. :down:

Sean
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:16 PM
As Devaclis said, create more room between you and the car in front of you. Maybe give them the double tap (without really slowing down, more for effect) If they still do it, I'll turn around and look at the car behind me briefly, so they know, that I know, that they are following me closely. This has worked very well, many times. Keep in mind, it can be very dangerous in traffic and should only be done if you are 100% sure what's in front of you. Not always advisable. And third, get away from them as safely as possible.

Bueller
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:18 PM
Drivers or riders of other bikes?

salsashark
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
Just carry a couple of old spark plugs or large ball bearings in your pocket... when they get to close, toss them over your shoulder.

BlueRanger
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I just assumed cars haha.

mdub
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:24 PM
yeah...mainly 4 wheels...i did have this one dude s. I-25 early summer. he came outta no-where...got pretty close. he just wanted to see if his bike could keep up with me. finally got the message that bs'ing on the hwy was dangerous so he peeled off at aurora exit....

Bueller
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:26 PM
Well cars usually don't draft bikes and for the most part it isn't too hard to get away from a cage.

mdub
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 03:31 PM
yes it is not hard to get away....i just don't like anyone following me. unless its a group ride.

asp_125
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 06:53 PM
I used to have one of those strobe brake light modulators on the SV650.. I noticed that drivers would back off or keep a larger following distance than they do on my Gixxer which does not have the strobes. (Both have LED brake lights)

Zach929rr
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I commute at a pace fast enough such that there is never someone tailgating me.

Vellos
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
I commute at a pace fast enough such that there is never someone tailgating me.

:imwithstupid:

cbrjohnny
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:22 PM
i like to drop a gear or three and slow down 5 or 10 mph and the rip a way... ceeeeeee---yaaaaa!!!

mdub
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 07:38 PM
besides following too close...i cant stands the jack-asses who wants to race...

Jim_Vess
Thu Sep 15th, 2011, 09:41 PM
i like to drop a gear or three and slow down 5 or 10 mph ...

And that's when said tailgater drives right over your ass.

Fernman
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I gradually slow down and this makes them go around.