PDA

View Full Version : Suggested Trails within Boulder

TachPHD
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hello. Do you guys have any suggestions for dirt biking trails up in Boulder?

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Left hand Canyon, some pretty technical stuff up there from what i remember...not even sure what is still open up there.

Ricky
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:17 AM
While it's not anywhere near complete, check out this site I'm building:
www.codirt.com

alternatively: www.staythetrail.org

Switzerland trail is one of the more common near Boulder, but it's super easy.

dirkterrell
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:40 AM
Switzerland trail is one of the more common near Boulder, but it's super easy.

Yeah, that one is easy but some of the side trails off of it will kick your ass. Well, they've kicked mine. :) Try Pennsylvania Gulch sometime (to the left as you reach the town of Sunset, coming from the south, i.e. Sugarloaf Mtn.).

Sean
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Lefthand canyon is the only legal single-track in Boulder County. There are some jeep roads you can ride. As Ricky said, staythetrail.org is good and you can also check out traildamage.com

TachPHD
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Thank you fellas. I think I'm going to check out left hand canyon. It's my first time dirt biking so this should be interesting.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 01:10 PM
if it's your first time...DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF. that is all.

Sean
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 01:20 PM
Thank you fellas. I think I'm going to check out left hand canyon. It's my first time dirt biking so this should be interesting.

if it's your first time...DO NOT GO BY YOURSELF. that is all.:imwithstupid:

Lefthand can get pretty technical, pretty fast depending on where you go. Be careful and know your limits.

asp_125
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 01:58 PM
If it's your first time, I recommend Switzerland Trail.

Devaclis
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
Dirtbikes are the debil. They are dangerous. I do not recommend them.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Fri Sep 16th, 2011, 02:35 PM
I recommend you come riding w/ us on sunday dana.

TachPHD
Sun Sep 18th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Left Hand was surprisingly challenging mid-way up once the trail became rocky. Overall, it was a great experience and so much fun. I can't wait to get my own dirt bike and try other trails.

duelist13
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 02:07 AM
Didn't want to resurrect an old thread, but are supermoto tires going to cut it on switzerland? Thanks in advance :).

Sean
Fri Nov 18th, 2011, 09:30 AM
Yes, they would be fine as long as there's no snow. It's a pretty easy trail.

duelist13
Sun Nov 27th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm in Boulder, if anyone wants to ride up to do some easy but cool trails. I'm trying Switzerland soon, but first just some dirt roads like Sunshine canyon.

I saw a trail starting on a road called "portal road" going west of Rollinsville, which is south of Ned. It seemed like the trail went all the way up to the top of the mountains, with a road that you can ride up near the peak. Anyone try this one before? Good luck and happy trail riding, guys and gals :).

asp_125
Sun Nov 27th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Portal Road leads up to Rollins Pass East, or there's another jeep trail going south out of Tolland that winds up either in Central City or over towards St Mary's Glacier.

duelist13
Sun Nov 27th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Nice! I assume the guv-ment hasn't placed any restrictions on riding through either route? :)

duelist13
Mon Nov 28th, 2011, 11:28 PM
Well looks like you can't go all the way up to the peak due to a collapsed tunnel, then an unstable rickety old wooden trestle bridge called "devil's Slide". Fair enough, don't want to conquer the hill above the tunnel only to die breaking through that bridge and ending up on the news a month later. If anyone knows of any other nearby roads that cross over to the west side, please let me know. Most importantly, if anyone else wants to come along when the snow thins (for safety's sake, at least!) let's go for it! I tried Switzerland trail and boy was it bumpy as hell with a road track setup on the WR250X!

Penadam
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Well looks like you can't go all the way up to the peak due to a collapsed tunnel, then an unstable rickety old wooden trestle bridge called "devil's Slide". Fair enough, don't want to conquer the hill above the tunnel only to die breaking through that bridge and ending up on the news a month later. If anyone knows of any other nearby roads that cross over to the west side, please let me know. Most importantly, if anyone else wants to come along when the snow thins (for safety's sake, at least!) let's go for it! I tried Switzerland trail and boy was it bumpy as hell with a road track setup on the WR250X!

Let me know. I'd be down to try some easy stuff on the tard if it gets warm enough.

duelist13
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 01:45 AM
Nice! Got a good ride in the other day on Switzerland trail (https://picasaweb.google.com/khsong13/DualSport1127?authkey=Gv1sRgCIO5voSW66e2XQ). Couldn't finish it because I was getting pretty far away from peoples and I didn't have any tools or parts on me. It was warm enough to wear normal winter gloves, but definitely had to bundle up. I'm stocking up on some stuff to keep with the bike in case I ever get into a ruh-roh situation :). I figure I can just pull the stuff off when I'm commuting or hitting the track. I ain't RC but this is the Youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HgzrRn32xA)that goes with the pics.

Sean
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I tried Switzerland trail and boy was it bumpy as hell with a road track setup on the WR250X!Ride faster, it evens it out.

I'm stocking up on some stuff to keep with the bike in case I ever get into a ruh-roh situation :). I figure I can just pull the stuff off when I'm commuting or hitting the track.You can always get a small backpack/camel back and just leave things in there too. Fortunately I have a fair amount of room on my KTM, but it's just as easy to have a designated backpack with some tubes (if you use them), tire irons, patch kit, hand pump and assorted tools.

Pics look good! :up:

duelist13
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Ride faster, it evens it out.

You can always get a small backpack/camel back and just leave things in there too. Fortunately I have a fair amount of room on my KTM, but it's just as easy to have a designated backpack with some tubes (if you use them), tire irons, patch kit, hand pump and assorted tools.

Pics look good! :up:

Those are some good tips! I definitely found out riding a little faster helps, but the front wheel was bouncing off some sharp looking rocks and I wasn't sure about the puncture resistance of the tires/tubes (some perspective on this would be nice). In the case of a puncture, I found out you don't have to remove the whole tire (just one bead) to get to the tube, and that you can lay the bike down on its side to remove the wheels. Hand pump-not sure if there is a decent one out there (most of mine have broken), but I guess you get what you pay for on those things!

Still need to try changing a tube tire with the small trail-type tools, to get some practice. Also how to replace the clip-type chains.

Bueller
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 04:12 PM
I rode the crap out of my sumo on trails and only got 1 flat. Hand pumps suck! CO2 is the way to go.
I hardly ever fix flats, I mostly ride the out on the flat, to my truck where I load up and go home :)

http://youtu.be/xMBgYL9Ky_o

duelist13
Tue Nov 29th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I rode the crap out of my sumo on trails and only got 1 flat. Hand pumps suck! CO2 is the way to go.
I hardly ever fix flats, I mostly ride the out on the flat, to my truck where I load up and go home :)

http://youtu.be/xMBgYL9Ky_o

Nice video.. that looks like some fun singletrack (except at 3:53)!
Bueller, if we were both on a goat trail with a steep drop-off, you'd get to the end and wait for an hour. If I got a flat tire, you'd also have to figure out who my next of kin was :P

Sean
Wed Nov 30th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Learning how to change a tire at home is probably a good idea instead of learning on the trail. I made sure I practiced it a few times before really doing some long trips. I even went as far as getting a one on one tutorial from a seasoned rider. Luckily, I did about 8k miles on my 950 this summer and never got a flat. As Bueller said, I don't think it's really common. I also run the extra heavy-duty tube in my front. On a 500lb adventure bike, the extra weight doesn't really mean much. :lol:

CO2's are probably easier than hand pumps. But hand pumps never run out.

Ricky
Wed Nov 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
Super heavy duty tubes FTW. I just have heavy duty on both tires on my bike... no problems so far. I run about 15 psi or a couple pounds lower for the trails.

duelist13
Sat Jul 28th, 2012, 10:05 PM
I know it's an old thread, but linky (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.972058340134.2284425.305081&type=1&l=53f4b07354) to pics from switz and Rollins pass today. Feel free to add me on FB :).

Since motards are a little rare in these parts:

A/S/L: 4/WR250X/Boulder :eyebrows:

When they said Rocky Mountains, they weren't lying.. kickstand, spring, and switch just fell off!