PDA

View Full Version : Removing tire shine

Briniker
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:20 AM
So I paid my son $10 to wash my bike yesterday and when he was done the bike looked great, only problem being he sprayed about a gallon of high gloss tire shine all over my wheels. im scared to even sit on the thing without it sliding out from under me! Ive seen some articles on removing it with anything from dawn dish soap to lantern fuel! Let me know if anyone has any tips. Thanks

madvlad
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Degreaser

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:34 AM
So I paid my son $10 to wash my bike yesterday and when he was done the bike looked great, only problem being he sprayed about a gallon of high gloss tire shine all over my wheels. im scared to even sit on the thing without it sliding out from under me! Ive seen some articles on removing it with anything from dawn dish soap to lantern fuel! Let me know if anyone has any tips. Thanks
If it's on the wheels, you should be fine. If it's on the tire, then that's a different story.

madvlad
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:38 AM
If it's on the wheels, you should be fine. If it's on the tire, then that's a different story.

Well kind of, just like chain lube flings so does tire shine so it will get on the tire eventually

Jmetz
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I wouldn't worry about it, shinny tires make you faster.

Devaclis
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Extreme lean angles.

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Well kind of, just like chain lube flings so does tire shine so it will get on the tire eventually
Not if you wipe it down. If it's just a coat of it, I would think it would stay on the wheel. I clean mine with WD40 and just wipe it after, stays right there. :dunno:

Sean
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 10:57 AM
I'd try soapy water (w/dawn or the equivalent) and see how that works. It may break down the gloss, or it may not. But personally, I'd prefer to start with something simple before moving on to kerosene.

Again, I'm assuming this is the tire, not the rim (wheel). Because it wouldn't really matter if it was on the rim.

tecknojoe
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:05 AM
I know a guy that put shine on his tires, and tried to remove it when he found out it was a dumb idea. Turns out, it was soaked in the rubber, so even though he thought he washed it all off, he crashed.

Don't risk it. Sorry, buy new tires

brennahm
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:12 AM
Burnout. /thread

rybo
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Burnout. /thread

Video for the front tire burnout please!

That being said, it really depends on how much was used. The stuff is really slippery. I would start with dish soap and see if that cleans it up. You'll be able to tell a bunch just by touching the tire. If it feels slippery, it is. New tires might not be a bad option at that point, way cheaper than falling down.

s

Owen_R6
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 11:30 AM
Same thing happened to a friend of mine...simple green seemed to work well for him, might as well give it a try

brennahm
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Unnecessary. Just make sure that while you ride down I-25 at 120 with your balls out that you're doing so on the rear wheel.:siesta:

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 12:47 PM
If you do a wheelie for long enough, the front wheel stops, so when you bring it back down, it does a mini "burnout" to get the front wheel up to speed. If you do that enough times, it might work! :lol:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Whenever I get new tires, I wipe them down good with a rag and some rubbing alcohol, then I scuff them in thoroughly edge-to-edge with some coarse drywall screen (sandpaper), then run the rag with alcohol over them again. Since I started doing that, I never had a problem. Why do I do it? Because years back I had a fresh set mounted, and it was probably a combination of mold-release and the tire lube the shop used to mount the tire, but anyways I was pulling out of the parking spot on my GS1100ES (torque-monster) and gave it some throttle to get out into traffic and the damn thing instantly spun out and lowsided me.

Slippery tires are a very dangerous thing. That's why I will NEVER use anything on them but soap and water when I'm washing the bike. Best of luck.

Mother Goose
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 01:36 PM
But most importantly, I think you should get your $10 back.

Cars-R-Coffins
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I had a thick coat of engine oil on 1/2 my rear tire for hours and used Dawn and water to scrub it off. I think I washed it 4 times with a toothbrush before taking it real easy on the edges. Oil is not tire shine so i'm not sure. If I was rich I would've bought a new set of tires. They worked fine for the remainder of the tire's life (~2000 miles) but it was always in the back of my mind.

Ted
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 09:41 PM
But most importantly, I think you should get your $10 back.

You sure read my mind ! :banghead:

Matrix
Mon Sep 19th, 2011, 09:45 PM
but it was always in the back of my mind.

This! I would replace them for that reason alone.

ChrisCBX
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 07:03 AM
One of my friends got tire shine on his tires and didn't clean it off. On the first tight turn that he came to (in town), the bike slid out and he wrecked. It really can be dangerous.

cptschlongenheimer
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
If you do a wheelie for long enough, the front wheel stops, so when you bring it back down, it does a mini "burnout" to get the front wheel up to speed. If you do that enough times, it might work! :lol:

:lol:
How many times you reckon that's gonna take?

His Yut-Uuggh is gonna be worn out.

BC14
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Unnecessary. Just make sure that while you ride down I-25 at 190 with your balls out that you're doing so on the rear wheel.:siesta:
fixed :p

BC14
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 07:35 AM
Whenever I get new tires, I wipe them down good with a rag and some rubbing alcohol, then I scuff them in thoroughly edge-to-edge with some coarse drywall screen (sandpaper), then run the rag with alcohol over them again. Since I started doing that, I never had a problem. Why do I do it? Because years back I had a fresh set mounted, and it was probably a combination of mold-release and the tire lube the shop used to mount the tire, but anyways I was pulling out of the parking spot on my GS1100ES (torque-monster) and gave it some throttle to get out into traffic and the damn thing instantly spun out and lowsided me.

Slippery tires are a very dangerous thing. That's why I will NEVER use anything on them but soap and water when I'm washing the bike. Best of luck.

Do you "mount" them too, just to make sure they are broken in? :leghump:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM
Do you "mount" them too, just to make sure they are broken in? :leghump:
If I "mounted" my tires......they'd be worn out and the smell of burnt rubber would be in the air! :)

Like I said, after having one bad instance, and ironically seeing the guy who mounted my tire have the exact same thing happen to him a month or so later, I do this all the time now and have never had an issue since. I recommend doing it, but to each their own.

Funny you should mention that though, as I'm seriously considering getting a mounting stand/press and balancing stand and doing it all myself from now on. If so, I'll start doing peoples tire mounting and balancing for $$.

brennahm
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 12:52 PM
In before the "that's too much liability for you to charge $$/you're not a real moto guy because if you were you would do it for free."

Bueller
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 12:54 PM
I am interested in what a mounting stand/press is?

asp_125
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
If that doesn't work, ride it down a gravel dirt road. That ought to take all of the shine off. ;)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 04:27 PM
I am interested in what a mounting stand/press is?
The device used to manually mount and dismount tires. Dunno the technical name is for it, or the brand, frank2 had one, and CurtisRR. I'd like to get one. Scer has the cool pneumatic one, whatever it's called.

Ghost
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 04:37 PM
The device used to manually mount and dismount tires. Dunno the technical name is for it, or the brand, frank2 had one, and CurtisRR. I'd like to get one. Scer has the cool pneumatic one, whatever it's called.

Rubber Master Mountabator

grim
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Step one: Punch your kid in the face

Step two: Go eat some cookies

Step three: Your fucked

Step four: Punch your kid in the face

Step five: Take a rag and....fuck this I'm gonna go eat dinner I'm hungry ghost you've got it from here cookies have been implemented!

Ghost
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:20 PM
Step one: Punch your kid in the face

Step two: Go eat some cookies

Step three: Your fucked

Step four: Punch your kid in the face

Step five: Take a rag and....fuck this I'm gonna go eat dinner I'm hungry ghost you've got it from here cookies have been implemented!

Yeah, what he said.

Cookie?