PDA

View Full Version : Mayweather! Cheap shot or not?

bulldog
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:37 AM
So a co-worker and I have been going back and forth about the Mayweather vs Ortiz fight that happened on Saturday. Now I think this was a "cheap shot" but he is all for the "protect yourself at all times". Here is the video if you missed it. First Ortiz does an illegal headbutt, but keep watching till the fights starts again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGFTVkjTj3I

Also did the ref even call for them to start boxing?

Wrider
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:40 AM
Personally I thought it was a really cheap shot. Then what he did in the post-fight interview, he's a fucking douchebag and needs to be beaten (not in a fight, just beaten) to bring him down a few notches.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I agree that Mayweather took advantage of the opportunity but what was Ortiz thinking? How many times does a modern day fighter have/want to touch gloves before they realize that they are leaving themselves wiiiide open. In this case he took it further and wanted to hug it out? WTF? Its a fight, he meant to headbutt Mayweather and because he wanted it to look like an accident he over exaggerated his apology.

As messed up as it is, and I hate boxing, this is a good thing for the sport. Funny how "stains" are good for boxing :lol:

csmith
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:50 AM
Ref said go, Ortiz wanted another hug. I'm no Mayweather fan, but if you try to headbutt me you show me professionalism is out the window. Legal (and I'd say warranted) cheap shot.

Matrix
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:52 AM
I thought after you touched gloves it was time to fight? Looked good to me.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Nate... Punch your co-worker and prove your point :lol:

brennahm
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Cheap shot. Legal shot. It was both.

By the rules Mayweather is in the clear, doesn't mean it wasn't a shithead sucker punch.

bulldog
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM
Nate... Punch your co-worker and prove your point :lol: Yeah right, it is Brendan Shaub's (from UFC) brother and he is a huge tough guy with years of weight training, boxing, and jui-jitsu training. One of the few guys I would probably not mess with; luckily he is a super nice guy.

Doron&Katie
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM
Protect yourself at all times because of those cheapshots.

Nooch
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Where's the option for "The fight was rigged months in advance like most of boxing."? I mean its all about Mayweather vs. Pacquiao, right?

:horse:

~Barn~
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Less threads about this, more threads about Lesnar v. Overeem. :yes:

bulldog
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 09:57 AM
Less threads about this, more threads about Lesnar v. Overeem. :yes: Hasn't happen yet though, but it will be epic! Come on Barn, give us your opinion on Mayweather and please vote!

P.S. Make a damn post on Lesnar vs Overeem then! :slap:

Jmetz
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:10 AM
"If I was 50 years younger I'd kick your ass!" Awesome! :lol:

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:13 AM
When the ref says go, it's time to box, not kiss and hug. The cheap shot was the headbutt.

bulldog
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:26 AM
When the ref says go, it's time to box, not kiss and hug. The cheap shot was the headbutt. Well did the ref say to fight? I kind of saw a wave of arms, but the ref was clearly looking the other way when that first hit was landed by Mayweather.

Reminded me of WWF where you wait till the ref isn't looking, hit them however, then the ref turns around and sees the person down and starts the knockout countdown :lol:

~Barn~
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Hasn't happen yet though, but it will be epic! Come on Barn, give us your opinion on Mayweather and please vote!

P.S. Make a damn post on Lesnar vs Overeem then! :slap:

Fine....

I don't think it was as big a cheap shot, as the attempted headbutt, but it was an "opportunity shot", to say the least.

Ortiz should have taken his point-deduction, said a quick "I'm sorry", and gotten back to trying to kick Floyd's ass. The only problem here, is that he was pretty much getting worked by Floyd up until that point.

Ortiz has quit in fights before (yes... outright quit), so this isn't really a shock revolation that he realized he didn't want to be in this fight, and lost his cool. The fact he got KO'd while having his hand down, probably just sped up the inevitable.

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
Well did the ref say to fight? I kind of saw a wave of arms, but the ref was clearly looking the other way when that first hit was landed by Mayweather.

The wave of arms bringing the hands together is the signal to resume fighting. Nothing cheap at all on Mayweather's part. It was stupidity on the part of Ortiz. Perhaps the ref should have been watching but that doesn't change the fact that the order to resume had been given.

laspariahs
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 02:46 PM
It was a cheap shot for sure, with the extreme amount of shit talking Mayweather does it seems like he wouldn't want, or need to win that way, but there you go. Must have been scared of loosing that no loss record of his, so much so he won't fight the pac man, though I think pac is probably doping since he won't do the testing but that's a different discussion.

I'd like to see a rematch.

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM
who cares...its a black and a mexican beating each other up...what more could you ask for. :lol: i keed i keed

I`m Batman
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Mayweather is a little beech! Scared of loosing and won't fight Pac Man.

vort3xr6
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 03:52 PM
No cheap shot at all. Ref waved them in, gloves touched, fights on.

Quit trying to make out and get your gloves up. Ortiz was getting his ass handed to him anyway so no surprise. Mayweather is a BAUCE.

I bet he puts this on his wheaties.

http://www.grfxpstore.com/attached_files/2008/2422/boss_sauce_bauce_sauce_tabasco_vinyl_sticker_decal _grafixpressions_grfxp_prv.gif?1315242122

modette99
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 04:00 PM
Wow what a douche at the end of the interview? Plus he skirted the questions, just wanted to keep promoting himself...LOL Maybe he will get run over, or shot on the street.

Mother Goose
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Quit trying to make out and get your gloves up.
This. Why does he keep kissing him? If some dude kept trying to kiss me, I'd hit him too! :lol:

bulldog
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 08:27 AM
Pretty crazy the two complete different opinions on this; exactly how my co-worker and I have been. What really surprises me is how many people are ok with a "cheap shot" as long as it was in the legal parameters. What ever happened to "good sportmenship". Well maybe that went out the door when the millions of dollars was offered :lol:

Is there really more to being a "champ" than just the sport? I know in UFC I really admire GSP (George St Pier) for the way he treats being champ as more than just in the ring and always represents himself as respectful and never fires back when taunted.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 09:49 AM
Less threads about this, more threads about Lesnar v. Overeem. :yes:
Confirmed...
http://bjpenn.com/news/2011/09/21/dana-white-confirms-lesnar-vs-overeem-winner-gets-title-shot-4976.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+bjpenndotcom+(BJPENN.COM+NEWS +BLOGS)&utm_content=FaceBook