PDA

View Full Version : Scientists on trial in Italy for failing to predict earthquake...

Think
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 06:48 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2011/09/20/world/europe/italy-quake-trial/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

I'm no scientist, but this seems ridiculous.

TinkerinWstuff
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:22 PM
and what would the public have done had the scientists said, "some time within the next year, there will be an earthquake here"?

Half the population here won't even leave their homes for an impending hurricane.

everything always has to be someone's fault (pun intended)

fasterlaster
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:31 PM
The scientists should argue with the "disaster film" theory. That nobody will listen to a crazy scientist who claims a horrible disaster will happen soon. (i.e. Dane's Peak, Volcano, Earthquake, etc)

That really is a silly trial.

Matrix
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:33 PM
You would think as broke as this country seems to be that they wouldnt be wasting their money on stupid shit like this.

fasterlaster
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 08:54 PM
I think the trial is actually in Italy.

Wrider
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 10:11 PM
You would think as broke as this country seems to be that they wouldnt be wasting their money on stupid shit like this.

I think the trial is actually in Italy.

Still applies. Italy is on the verge of bankruptcy. Greece is only slightly worse off, and again I say slightly.

fasterlaster
Tue Sep 20th, 2011, 11:03 PM
Still applies. Italy is on the verge of bankruptcy. Greece is only slightly worse off, and again I say slightly.

Wasn't saying it didn't apply, just took Joe's post as written a bit different that I think he meant. Besides with earthquakes and such happening and no scientist to step up and predict the future I'm not surprised they are broke.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 09:38 AM
and what would the public have done had the scientists said, "some time within the next year, there will be an earthquake here"?

Half the population here won't even leave their homes for an impending hurricane.

everything always has to be someone's fault (pun intended)

Right? Thats whats so funny about people is that even when they are given the information they usually do nothing about it. "Ima wait this out" and "im not gunna let the government tell me when to leave my house (trailer)"

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:11 PM
Certainly hope that a conviction doesn't occur and set precedent that the public sector carries that kind of liability in Italy.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:19 PM
Certainly hope that a conviction doesn't occur and set precedent that the public sector carries that kind of liability in Italy.

Everyone in the country would have to stop taking the whole month of July as holiday. Hard to predict natural disasters when you're at the beach with your family and a martini.

Ghost
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:29 PM
Everyone in the country would have to stop taking the whole month of July as holiday. Hard to predict natural disasters when you're at the beach with your family and a martini.

Don't hate, you know you wish we had their lifestyle...

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:33 PM
Don't hate, you know you wish we had their lifestyle...

I won't lie - but I do like showers. Ever work with an Italian?

http://www.mypetcaptions.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/lolcat28-Washington.jpg

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:04 PM
Yeah, their legal system is FUBAR'd. I remember the trials when Ayrton Senna died. Just ridiculous......

Devaclis
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:28 PM
I don't trust Itays. Shady characters.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 03:04 PM

Broken. Knee. Caps.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 03:05 PM
All its going to take is one mis-prediction, meaning they say one is coming and it doesnt, and everyone will completely disregard any future warnings...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 06:00 PM
....I don't even trust myself....... ;)

Wrider
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 08:56 PM
....I don't even trust myself....... ;)

Good, neither do we!

dapper
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Scientists were due for a shake down. This trial on this matter is silly.

Lots of 'pigeonhole' activities are taking place.

I read how there might be another earthquake, after another X-class solar flare.
Allegedly, if New Zealand receives more earthquakes, the Ross Ice Shelf, (about the size of France) may fall into the ocean.
Also, Chile or Argentina are similar to NZ, which could affect Larson and/or Ronne Ice Shelf. The anticipated title wave would vary between 1/2 to 1 mile high.

The bumper sticker "Shit Happens" was created for a reason. 8)

dirkterrell
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:21 PM
I'll go ahead and warn everybody that Betelgeuse is going to go supernova sometime in the next million years. Since we aren't oriented to be looking down its rotational axis, we shouldn't get a gamma ray burst strong enough to do large-scale damage to ecosystems, but be prepared just in case.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:37 PM
knew we could count on you dirk

CYCLE_MONKEY
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:42 PM
knew we could count on you dirk
Way to ruin my millenia bro.......:D