PDA

View Full Version : P90X feedback

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:54 PM
Anybody used it? Is it good/bad/other? Thinking about picking up a copy off of craigslist and thought I'd see if I can get some feedback. Thanks. :cheers:

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 12:58 PM
like anything else, it works if you stick to it. Controls your diet, forces you to work out over an hour a day for six days a week. kind of hard not to lose weight.

The dvd quality on the craigslist knockoff copies is usually poor. I have DVDs that skip and hang from time to time and will only play in one of my players.

gets old listening to the idiotic banter every day and pretty soon you play them without the commentary - thank God for that option

Ghost
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:01 PM
http://www.healthhound.org/p90x/

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:03 PM
Sean, ping Chadwick, he helped me get my copy.

I ended up not doing the diet part and saw results just doing the exercise. The hardest thing about it was carving out an hour & 15 to an hour & 45 to work out 6 days a week. If you're already doing that though, then game on

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM
http://www.healthhound.org/p90x/

HA!! pretty much what I said. Too funny.

The thing I found the most benefit from was keeping a diet diary. carry a small notepad around and write down everything you eat, every day, every morsel. Estimate the calories and stick to a reasonable caloric intake for your height.

writing it down keeps you from cheating and makes it much easier to skip that second scoop of hamburger helper. Chances are you'll lose weight without spending extra money or working out.

Light snacks between meals helps a ton.

mdub
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:06 PM
that commercial does get me motivated to do more exercise. i do drink my fair share of brews and like to eat. I keep myself moving around the house doing chores. But i could not really follow the p90x regimen. If there is a pill that would keep me focus i might try it out...

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:17 PM
Sean, ping Chadwick, he helped me get my copy. :up: Was the quality good enough?

I ended up not doing the diet part and saw results just doing the exercise. The hardest thing about it was carving out an hour & 15 to an hour & 45 to work out 6 days a week. If you're already doing that though, then game onI already have a pretty good diet and am used to working out 5-6 days a week from triathlon's. An hour is easy easy to do. I still run an hour a few times a week, it's just getting boring.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:19 PM
If you have a hard time doing an easy workout every day to stay in shape, doing a tough wourkout that requires more commitment is going to be pretty hard. Work is work. Hard or easy you have to be mentally prepared to do it.

Chris did well on P90X. I did "OK" on P91Y. I went for 1 louder.

Sully
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
Dude, have you seen how buff I am?! gah.. of course it works... :lol:

Zach929rr
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:20 PM
I still have the dvd's in .avi and the workout log in .pdf.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:22 PM
I usually take my lunch hour to work out (usually a 45 min run & 15 min shower) so an hour would've been fine for me. But if you do the classic track, they have you doing a 15 minute ab routine 3 times a week, so plan for an hour 15 at least and then tack on your shower & everything else and it starts eating up more time than I'd originally expected. Plus, the yoga on Wednesdays is an hour & a half...oh and don't do it in the morning. they take you through a relaxing phase at the end of it and if you've only been up for a couple of hours, the last thing it makes you wanna do is take a shower and go to work/school.

Quality was good enough. It skipped on a few spots but when it would skip ahead I was usually able to just rewind back to just past the part where the skip happened. I've also got a 10 year old dvd player so that was probby a factor.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
The shit works if you stick to it. I lost 20lbs in about 2 months doing the program. As you can tell, I haven't done it in a while. :lol: I really like Insanity too, you don't need any weights or bands for that program, and it kicks your ass more than P90X. Since the race season is over, and I'll have a little more time on my hands, I'm going to try and complete Insanity.

And yes, my copies are good copies, burned straight from the real thing, plus pdfs of the books.

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:26 PM
If you have a hard time doing an easy workout every day to stay in shape, doing a tough wourkout that requires more commitment is going to be pretty hard. Work is work. Hard or easy you have to be mentally prepared to do it.Yeah...I don't think being mentally prepared is my problem. I just want to mix it up.

Dude, have you seen how buff I am?!No, I haven't, I don't see you anymore. :(

I still have the dvd's in .avi and the workout log in .pdf.Can you play .avi in a blu-ray player or only on a computer? I have one buddy who "might" have it. If he doesn't I'll hit you up. :cheers:

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:29 PM
Since the race season is over, and I'll have a little more time on my hands, I'm going to try and complete Insanity.
That was my next plan too. I've got a friend at work who was going to do it, but the copy protection on the discs was too much.

Do you already own it or are you going to buy it?

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:31 PM
I really like Insanity too, you don't need any weights or bands for that program, and it kicks your ass more than P90X. I've never heard of that one. I'll have to look it up.

Since the race season is over, and I'll have a little more time on my hands, I'm going to try and complete Insanity.
Maybe we should get a CSC fitness thing happening?

And yes, my copies are good copies, burned straight from the real thing, plus pdfs of the books.Oh really? You're much closer than Zach. Maybe I'll have to swing by?

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:32 PM
One of the other thing's that's tough with a 90 day workout program that has you going 6 days a week is that if you get behind it's really freaking hard to catch back up. So if you're starting now, you've got holidays and parties and all kinds of crap coming up in the next 90 days. Plus if you get sick your schedule gets off track too

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:34 PM
I could be down for this

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
So if you're starting now, you've got holidays and parties and all kinds of crap coming up in the next 90 days. Plus if you get sick your schedule gets off track tooThat's the best time to do it! If you're working out you (at least I) won't eat as much crap. Plus, I most likely won't follow it 100% so I'm not too worried about getting off track a little. But support groups are always nice.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:36 PM
I've never heard of that one. I'll have to look it up.

Oh really? You're much closer than Zach. Maybe I'll have to swing by?
1. Yeah, check it out, the name fits too.

2. I think we have a thread on that? But maybe we can do one where a bunch of us start at the same time and keep each other motivated.

3. True dat. It takes about 13 DVDs, if I remember right, so I just ask that you replace those, and maybe some beer *cough*CHRIS!!*cough*. :up: I can have them ready by this weekend if you want them. You'll be able to play these on a plain ol' DVD player.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM
Keagels got me in the shape I am in now. I see no need to hcange.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:38 PM
One of the other thing's that's tough with a 90 day workout program that has you going 6 days a week is that if you get behind it's really freaking hard to catch back up. So if you're starting now, you've got holidays and parties and all kinds of crap coming up in the next 90 days. Plus if you get sick your schedule gets off track too
That's what happened to me. I got sick, then I started it again, then I moved, started over again, then I hurt my knee again playing basketball.... haven't really committed to doing it again since that. Just did a couple workouts here and there.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:39 PM
Keagels got me in the shape I am in now. I see no need to hcange.
I see it's helped with your fat fingers too. ;)

drago52
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:41 PM
Sean, I've done it before. In my opinion, the results you will see are mostly upper body related. Given your athletics background (which is similar to mine), I do not think you will see any weight loss, nor do I think you will find the plyos and lower body workouts challenging or very beneficial. The upper body workouts are hard, but I didn't find anything really "cutting edge".

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:42 PM
October 1, 2011 CSC takes on P90X?

Wicky, DVDs and beer are acceptable terms. Although let me see if I can find/research Insanity first. I'd rather do it without much weights and more using core/body weight.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:46 PM
October 1, 2011 CSC takes on P90X?

Wicky, DVDs and beer are acceptable terms. Although let me see if I can find/research Insanity first. I'd rather do it without much weights and more using core/body weight.
Just let me know, I can burn either one. I have Insanity in an avi format, but I can convert it to a DVD if you'd rather go that route. It'll just take a little bit longer, like end of the weekend longer, instead of beginning. :lol:

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:47 PM
http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/insanity.do

AND it's only 60 days for Insanity.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:50 PM
You love me Zach. :makeout:

Devaclis
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:51 PM
Zach loves butter.

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:52 PM
Sean, I've done it before. In my opinion, the results you will see are mostly upper body related. Given your athletics background (which is similar to mine), I do not think you will see any weight loss, nor do I think you will find the plyos and lower body workouts challenging or very beneficial. The upper body workouts are hard, but I didn't find anything really "cutting edge".I don't know if I'd say that our athletic backgrounds are "similar" :lol: I don't think my cycling skills are even close! Good to know about upper body, that's kind of what I'm looking for. Finally got a trainer (yeah!) and I'll keep running for lower body.

Let me know when you're CX racing, maybe I'll swing down and check it out.

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Zach loves butter.
And Beenie Babies.

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:53 PM
Just let me know, I can burn either one. I have Insanity in an avi format, but I can convert it to a DVD if you'd rather go that route. It'll just take a little bit longer, like end of the weekend longer, instead of beginning. :lol:Cool, thanks man. I'll check it out tonight and pm you. :w00t:

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 01:54 PM
And Beenie Babies.and dudes in thongs

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:11 PM
Just let me know, I can burn either one. I have Insanity in an avi format, but I can convert it to a DVD if you'd rather go that route. It'll just take a little bit longer, like end of the weekend longer, instead of beginning. :lol:
Dude, if you HAVE Insanity...we should talk. :D

Srsly, payment up front this time. :oops:

OUTLAWD
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:25 PM
I did P90X a few years back, it works but is not sustainable IMO...I actually lost alot of muscle mass, but lost all the flab too. if you do anything for 1.5 hours a day and eat no carbs, you are bound to lose weight. I lost ~30lbs the first month while eating 3000-3500 calories a day.

I have both P90X and Insanity in .avi format.

I would much rather follow my own mix of lifting and cardio while following a balanced diet. Speaking of, today was day 1 of hitting the gym again for the first time in 1.5 years :lol:

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:33 PM
Dude, if you HAVE Insanity...we should talk. :D

Srsly, payment up front this time. :oops:
I has it.

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:34 PM
what's your beer preference & what kind of discs do ya need? :eyebrows:

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:37 PM
what's your beer preference & what kind of discs do ya need? :eyebrows:
Just writable DVDs. Anything from Avery or Odell's. ;)

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM
We will be speaking in person in the near future! :D

Airreed
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
I'm actually in week 6 now of P90X.
I work a 4-10 schedule so we only do the workout 4 days a week. I've always worked out so i didn't go into the program out of shape, more less did it for a change of pace.

My observations:

1. You will need a pull bar, weights or bands (thou the bands were a lower weight resistance). You will want/need weights from 35lbs down to 15lbs.

2. I'm doing this with a group, so self motivation is key...there's no way i could do it in my basement. Plus with a group you will push harder.

3. Wtih a 4 day workout, we skip Yoga and low density workouts...but like everyone else stated it's designed as a six day workout.

4. Tony Horton is an ass-hat, but his anticts will motivate you. We take our anger out on him.

5. Ab-90X is no joke....it will and still smokes me everytime we do it. "Black Fabio" is the ab King!

6. Strength...I started doing 12 pullups...I can do 20ish.

Devaclis
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:46 PM
Can you burn them to DVDA's?

Mother Goose
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:50 PM
Yeah, a DVD, eh?

MetaLord 9
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 02:51 PM
5. Ab-90X is no joke....it will and still smokes me everytime we do it. "Black Fabio" is the ab King!
No shit here. That ab workout is probably the one thing I'd keep doing from p90x on a regular basis. I had to pause that mother all but maybe twice the entire 90 days...and you do it every 3 days

Sean
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 03:01 PM
My observations:
Cool. Thanks for the feedback!

Ezzzzy1
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 08:22 PM
I have a perfect pullup bar (the one with rotating handles) that has never been used... $20 if anyone need one.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/PP.jpg

Titus
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 09:03 PM
I'm in for the Oct 1st start date.

I've got the P90x dvds on avi format, downloaded from torrents, but I have none of the documentation that comes with the package.

I've only been doing the workouts 3x a week, but im getting results just from that, I'd like to get on the full schedule. I'd like to drop my body fat % before next years riding season.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Sep 21st, 2011, 09:11 PM
I'd like to drop my body fat % before next years riding season.

best mod for a guy's bike

Sean
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 07:31 AM
I watched the Insanity thing, that looks like exactly what I'm looking for. :up:

Cool, so let's get a CSC "get fit" thing happening starting Oct 1. Sounds like we could have at least 5-10 people on board. Before I make a thread:
1. should it just be a support thing?
2. Should there be some sort of "friendly" competition?
3. before & after pics?
4. it looks like some people will do P90X, some Insanity and others can ???
5. should we try and set any goals?

Thoughts? I think it would be good to make it a low key thing. No need to get on someones case if they get sick/vacation/etc and can't do it. I'd be more interested in the results after 2-3 months.

bulldog
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:08 AM
P90x is for girls! :lol:

Ok, it is great for losing weight, but not good for adding muscle and most people will actually lose muscle mass on it because it really is a "cardio" driven workout. I am all for adding muscle, because then your body burns calories faster and you actually continue buring calories after you stop (from weight training); therefor you can eat more and burn more calories. I have done the P90x so I understand some exercises use weights, but it is still cardio and not enough to really add quality lean muscle. I do the P90X Ab ripper 3 at least once a week and I really think that is a good program for abs (16 minutes of hell though). P90X is not an easy workout, so like others said this may be hard to stick with. I always recommend someone find a workout they really enjoy if they want to stick with it (swimming, basketball, weightlifting, running, etc). You have to enjoy it to really stick with this because it has to be a lifestyle and not something where you lose the weight and it never comes back; it most likely will, so remember these are exercises you will need to do for many, many, years to keep it all off!

I am a big fan of personal trainers because I feel these programs they use have been proven and they will mold it to you. (cardio and weight training). Plus they deal with your diet which is 80% of losing weight over working out! In the long run you stick with these programs over ones like P90X.

If your goal is weight loss and you have the commitment to stick to it then P90x will work, but I do not feel it is the greatest. Just my .02 cents

Sean
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM
P90x is for girls! :lol:
:lol: Thanks for your opinion Bulldog.

No seriously, thanks for offering your opinion. It's good to get some thoughts from a person who is coming from your perspective of fitness. I don't know about the rest of the people, but I'm def more in the mindset of just trimming down. To me (personal opinion) I just don't see the point in gaining muscle, I don't really have a need for it. But what I would like to do is slim down and still be able to maintain my cardio level.

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:26 AM
We don't all want to be a beefcake like you Nate. ;) When I did P90X, I actually gained muscle mass. It's all about how much you lift with it. For the ones with weights, I'd go down to the apartment's gym and lift there while doing that particular day, so I'd have larger weights to work with.

Sean
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:29 AM
We don't all want to be a beefcake like you Nate. ;) mmmmmmmm, cake. :drool:

Wait, what? Oh yeah, this is a workout thread. Damn. :banghead:

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:31 AM
And some of us don't like going to the gym, where beefcakes like you stare and judge us fatties. :lol:

Mmmmmm, fatty cake. :drool:

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:39 AM
its not hard to go from fatty cake to beef cake...unfortunately it is easier to go the other way around...ask me how I know... :lol:

bulldog
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
We don't all want to be a beefcake like you Nate. ;) When I did P90X, I actually gained muscle mass. It's all about how much you lift with it. For the ones with weights, I'd go down to the apartment's gym and lift there while doing that particular day, so I'd have larger weights to work with. Actually beefing up is not my goal at all and I actually think those huge muscle heads guys at the gym are killing themselves (and body) with their beefing up because they grow too large for their hearts (and bone joints) to keep up and they rarely do cardio because it takes away muscle; they are strong, but tire out fast and couldn't run a few miles to save their life. I am about being healthy and lean; and really I only look "beefed up" because my waist is so small and I have very little body fat; it creates the illusion of being huge. It is weird because I get people tell me I look bigger nowadays, but really I am down 15 pounds when I stopped the whole "beef up" period and realized it was more about health.

My biggest issue with these programs are after these 60 or 90 days end then what? Is your body magically transformed and fat never builds up again. Do you really want to do these programs forever; maybe some like them, but they were a PITA to me. I would say to do them to get to the weight you like, then think about adding in more weight training to keep you there.

Any exercise is great and with that and a good diet you will lose weight and feel better, so in the long run that is all that matters! Just stick with it and if p90x gets to be a PITA, try to try other things that you enjoy.

Just remember losing weights is 80% diet and maybe 20% exercise!!!!! Beer is the enemy!!!!

And some of us don't like going to the gym, where beefcakes like you stare and judge us fatties. :lol: Hey everytime I see how tall you are that is how I feel. All you tall people judging my shortness. :lol: I wish I were taller! :D

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:47 AM
After I complete it, I plan on sticking to the ones I like, and then getting back to playing basketball. I used to just do that to stay in shape. Playing full court 2-3 times a week for 3 hours each day will do that.

bulldog
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:50 AM
After I complete it, I plan on sticking to the ones I like, and then getting back to playing basketball. I used to just do that to stay in shape. Playing full court 2-3 times a week for 3 hours each day will do that. Exactly :up: If it is something you enjoy, you will have a way better chance of sticking to it!

Mother Goose
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:56 AM
Hey everytime I see how tall you are that is how I feel. All you tall people judging my shortness. :lol: I wish I were taller! :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyf0YwUJcqk

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 08:58 AM

beat me to it...lol

bulldog
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 09:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyf0YwUJcqk lol... a classic

I'll trade you anytime a few height inches for some lbs Wicky!

bodhizafa
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
Just remember losing weights is 80% diet and maybe 20% exercise!!!!! Beer is the enemy!!!!

And what a yummy enemy it is! :twisted:

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:49 PM
My biggest issue with these programs are after these 60 or 90 days end then what? Is your body magically transformed and fat never builds up again. Do you really want to do these programs forever; maybe some like them, but they were a PITA to me. I would say to do them to get to the weight you like, then think about adding in more weight training to keep you there.

Any exercise is great and with that and a good diet you will lose weight and feel better, so in the long run that is all that matters! Just stick with it and if p90x gets to be a PITA, try to try other things that you enjoy.
This was my issue. I have no problem sticking to the workout regimen, but every time I've trained with goals in mind (e.g. finish the Colorado Relay, finish P90x, get lest then a 10 min mile average for the Colfax Half), I've accomplished the goals, but then give my self a week off...which turns into 3-5 months and I've gotta start all over again, which is REALLY bad for my body.

This is why I'm game to try insanity. It's under an hour workouts from what I understand, so it would fit perfectly into my daily routine at work, especially if I can keep running on a regular basis.

MetaLord 9
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 12:50 PM
aw hells yea! I miss Skee-Lo man, he as a trip