PDA

View Full Version : Know when to step away from that video game...

Snowman
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:55 PM
Virtual and real worlds collide in gamers' minds (http://www.reghardware.com/2011/09/21/gamers_struggle_to_differ_real_from_virtual/)

"An initial investigation of this so-called Game Transfer Phenomenon, carried out by psychologists at the Nottingham Trent University and Stockholm University, centred on interviews with 42 gamers aged between 15 and 21 all of whom claimed to have either dealt with real-world problems by reaching for a joystick, or to have seen game graphics in the real world."

"One gamer claimed to have witnessed the appearance of a graphical menu of topics available for him to think about."

"Another player saw a list of potential responses pop up after he was insulted."

"A third interviewee said he found himself reaching for the R2 button on a controller to retrieve a sandwich after dropping it on the floor."

"A fourth participant reported seeing a maths equation appearing in a bubble above a teacher’s head and health bars hovered over players from a rival football team."

The only thought I had that might be worse, is that these people might just be waking up from the Matrix...

Devaclis
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 02:57 PM
I am casting Arcane Brilliance so that I may read this article with slightly higher intelligence.

Nooch
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 03:02 PM
I am casting Arcane Brilliance so that I may read this article with slightly higher intelligence.

Ok THAT was funny...and Im almost ashamed that I understood the joke lol!

BC14
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:34 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3996/1238218171592.gifhttp://static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/2/4/1/5/5/1/a3789515-32-cartman-wow-sunder.jpg?d=1297215330

Ghost
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 04:38 PM

Wow. Or, WoW, either way I'm embarrassed for both of us...

stitch
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 05:42 PM
You know sometimes people lie just to get attention. I often wonder when I see these sorts of things I question the intelligence of the "psychologists" who accept these statements at face value.

OR

WOW! There are some really fucked up people out there.

BC14
Thu Sep 22nd, 2011, 06:46 PM
You know sometimes people lie just to get attention. I often wonder when I see these sorts of things I question the intelligence of the "psychologists" who accept these statements at face value.

OR

WOW! There are some really fucked up people out there.
It's the latter, most definitely

bulldog
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:06 AM
I once played Grand Theft Auto for hours and then jumped in my car to get something to eat and started to to drive all crazy until I reminded myself I was not playing the game anymore.

Devaclis
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
I once played Grand Theft Auto for hours and then jumped in my car to get something to eat and started to to drive all crazy until I reminded myself I was not playing the game anymore.

Did you kill a hooker to recover your health?

http://blog.penaltyofheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/hud_healthbar.png

Vellos
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM

:applause:

Sleev
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:28 AM
sometimes I put my GF on mute. I don't see a problem with that

Devaclis
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:35 AM
So, I was leveling my new rogue "Squeezecheez", a levle 23 combat spec yesterday when I stopped in Sotrmwind to ditch some greys and buy an upgrade to my chestpiece. Well, the Trade channel was full of chat about the virtues of playing WoW while stoned and what kind of buff was needed to successfully Sap "your mom" as well as a few convo's about "The Fast and the Murloc", "The Princess Murloc" and "Two and a half Murlocs". I was going to give my input on each of these subjects as ANY good WoW player would do but just then my Dungeon Finder popped and I got an invite to join Shadowfang Keep. Since I needed to get a medallion from the Baron in this dungeon to fulfill a rogue quest I had jsut gotten, I bailed on the urge to comment in chat and joined the dungeon.

Wouldn't you know it. I entered the dungeon, said "yo" and got a couple of "wassup" replies when the fucking newb tank takes off before healz has buffed everyone or even placed Power Word Shield on the tank. So he wipes, gets us all killed, and then DC's. Well, I am not hanging around for another 11 year old with a new tank skin to come in and pull the same shit so I leave the party. Ported back into Stormwin from the dungeon I see that the chat is still on track with Murlocs, weed, and now a new convo that was started with a simple post: "She's just a smalltown girl...." It was then I realized that this was going to be a pretty sweet evening in trade chat.

THIS is why I was a little late to work this morning.

salsashark
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
So, I was leveling my new rogue "Squeezecheez", a levle 23 combat spec yesterday when I stopped in Sotrmwind to ditch some greys and buy an upgrade to my chestpiece. Well, the Trade channel was full of chat about the virtues of playing WoW while stoned and what kind of buff was needed to successfully Sap "your mom" as well as a few convo's about "The Fast and the Murloc", "The Princess Murloc" and "Two and a half Murlocs". I was going to give my input on each of these subjects as ANY good WoW player would do but just then my Dungeon Finder popped and I got an invite to join Shadowfang Keep. Since I needed to get a medallion from the Baron in this dungeon to fulfill a rogue quest I had jsut gotten, I bailed on the urge to comment in chat and joined the dungeon.

Wouldn't you know it. I entered the dungeon, said "yo" and got a couple of "wassup" replies when the fucking newb tank takes off before healz has buffed everyone or even placed Power Word Shield on the tank. So he wipes, gets us all killed, and then DC's. Well, I am not hanging around for another 11 year old with a new tank skin to come in and pull the same shit so I leave the party. Ported back into Stormwin from the dungeon I see that the chat is still on track with Murlocs, weed, and now a new convo that was started with a simple post: "She's just a smalltown girl...." It was then I realized that this was going to be a pretty sweet evening in trade chat.

Man... I don't know what the FUCK you just said, Little Kid, but you're special man, you reached out, and you touch a brother's heart.

Wrider
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:27 PM

This is how I know I have too many friends that play WoW. I've never played once, yet I understood everything you just said...

JonnyD
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
I can't go driving/riding after playing any of the "Burnout" series for awhile... it's pretty bad to think of all those cars as insurance $ amounts.

Ghost
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 02:56 PM
The only thought I had that might be worse, is that these people might just be waking up from the Matrix...

Neo will save us all?

modette99
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 08:11 AM
[B]

Why would the matrix be bad? It taste like steak, it smells like steak, what do I care if everything is fake. I'd be happy in my bubble....

Jesterbass21
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 08:55 AM

oh boy. you just reaffirmed why I quit playing wow years ago. lol I only played it for a couple months but still. :rock:

Vellos
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 10:23 AM
Wouldn't you know it. I entered the dungeon, said "yo" and got a couple of "wassup" replies when the fucking newb tank takes off before healz has buffed everyone or even placed Power Word Shield on the tank. So he wipes, gets us all killed, and then DC's.

Hahahahaha.

sag
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 10:30 AM
ah i havent played wow in years but i have fond memories of going back to the dorms hammered and tanking end game. this was when blues were cool and purpurples were actually epic and getting the 40 mount by 50 was an accomplishment haha

Vellos
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Nothing beats vanilla, game just got more and more handicap after that.

Ghost
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Why would the matrix be bad? It taste like steak, it smells like steak, what do I care if everything is fake. I'd be happy in my bubble....

You took the wrong pill.

Nothing beats vanilla, game just got more and more handicap after that.

But vanilla wouldn't have kept it's captive audience for the last past forever, and that's millions in lost revenue...besides, you need the flying twinkle pony that farts stars to prove you're wasting your life for something

grim
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 12:23 PM
I know absolutely nothing about wow never played it and don't even know what the goal or objective is. My challenge to you all is who can explain it without going too deep or getting thier heads wrapped around the slang or terminology?

modette99
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Seems like a silly game to me

sag
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 01:19 PM
most simply, challenge---->reward?

you defeat hard challenges and get rewarded with gear and weapons for your character. its really endless, you just keep getting better stuff and go take down bigger bosses. its also highly social and competitive.

in essence its just like any other video game, the thrill of getting past something difficult and being better than others at it keeps you going haha

Vellos
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 03:17 PM
You use numbers to defeat other numbers so you can get better numbers to take on more numbers.

Ghost
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I know absolutely nothing about wow never played it and don't even know what the goal or objective is. My challenge to you all is who can explain it without going too deep or getting thier heads wrapped around the slang or terminology?

It's a perpetual money machine for Blizzard where you can pretend to "level" up a character while taunting and arguing with ill-adjusted and socially inept people from all over the world, typically still in their teens or else in their 40s and living in a basement.

It offers just enough "reward" in the way of bright flashy pixels to keep you paying $15/mo until your mommy cuts off your allowance or your s/o cuts off your balls for ignoring them...but, it's a prime way to tune everyone and everything out and focus on a treadmill that (effectively) never ends since you're always chasing some in-game goal from getting idiotic "rare" items like the Thrag's Thong of Unreachable Rash to an "Achievement" for standing around, virtually fishing for hours/days/weeks on end.

Overall, it's a waste of life, but since that's an improvement and escape for more people, it remains a popular waste of life...

Brief enough? :p

modette99
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I grew up on these type of games...you have a goal, and more importantly you have an end.

http://www.scanlen.com/madmike/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/lsl1a.jpeg

True I like RPG games too (used to play DD), but again I like having an end. Although I like stragety games and in fact have been back to playing

http://segmentnext.com/wp-content/uploads/command-and-conquer-3-tiberium-wars-new.jpg