PDA

View Full Version : Squeaky Brakes

Vellos
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:28 PM
Not a big deal, but it's pretty annoying.

The front squeaks loudly while braking lightly. I've sanded the rotors and tops of the pads three times now, which only prevents the squeaking for a day or two.

Open to suggestions, but please don't advise things that may lead to damage or failure of my brakes. Thanks.

Vellos
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.ehow.com/how_7259566_fix-squeaky-motorcycle-brake-pads.html

Sounds good. I was advised 250 grit and nothing else, but I'll the 1000 with cleaner unless anyone has a better variation.

grim
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
My zx6r did the same thing about two months ago I never did find out what the hell it was I pressure washed everything really well thinking it was just brake dust and haven't really had an issue since then. Maybe try putting some brake grease on your pads to collect the dust so they don't squeak?

madvlad
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 08:42 PM
Sounds like hot spots on the rotors mang, happened with mine and it wont go away unless new rotors are installed.

Lomax
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Try sanding down the edges of the pads so they are not at 90 degrees. Ok how to actually explain this. ???

If where the pad hits the rotor it looks like this |
|
|_______

Try and make it look more like this.
|
|
\______

It will cut down on the vibration and thus the squeal.

Marc

Bueller
Fri Sep 23rd, 2011, 09:52 PM
Try sanding down the edges of the pads so they are not at 90 degrees. Ok how to actually explain this. ???

If where the pad hits the rotor it looks like this |
|
|_______

Try and make it look more like this.
|
|
\______

It will cut down on the vibration and thus the squeal.

Marc
Files work well for this, racers do this to make it easier to get the rotors back in the calipers with the frequent wheel removal/install.

Vellos
Sat Sep 24th, 2011, 11:49 AM
Yeah I know about the 90 degree problem as well, but first I'll just try to remove glaze with better sandpaper. Also brake grease goes on the back of the pads to minimize vibration, not on the front to collect dust. Appreciate the input guys. Will return with results once I get around to doing it.