PDA

View Full Version : "New" 2012 CBR 600 RR...looks like an F2

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 01:13 PM
By "new" Honda means BNG, in this case looking like the 1991/1992 F2 (which, I admit I like because I loved the used Red/White F2 I got as my first bike).

Still...it'd be nice to see a new CBR 600RR--maybe with some new-fangled features like...I dunno...a slipper clutch?

Meh, fwiw, (and it's apparently worth a lot at $11,540) here it is:

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/files/2012-honda-cbr-600-rr-preview%202.jpg

1992:
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2327/2528247127_ef766f0d7c_o.jpg

1991:
http://image.sportrider.com/f/26775037+w750+st0/146_0912_11_z+great_sportbikes_of_the_past+1991_ho nda_F2.jpg

http://www.ultimatemotorcycling.com/2012-honda-cbr-600-rr-preview

2012 Honda Motorcycles

When something performs ahead of the rest, and gets credit for winning more AMA and World Supersport Championships than any other middleweight sportbike, why change things?
This seems to be the thinking behind the engineers of the CBR600 RR, a sportbike that hasn't changed since its last major revision in 2009, which was also the first year the Combined ABS braking system was offered (C-ABS).
In 2009, the bike received some engine upgrades to improve upper RPM torque along with redesigned fairings, but nothing changed for 2010 and 2011 except for color options.
This is also true for the 2012 Honda CBR 600 RR; the only new feature is a red color option, which has the stylish Honda wing (white) partially covering the upper part of the side fairings. And the white wheels offered with the red bring true CBR fans directly back to the F1 and F2 years.
The bike is still available in black also, but red is the only colored offered with C-ABS. This C-ABS is a true "brake-by-wire" design, which means that they are electronically controlled. Unlike conventional ABS, where the feel at the lever is soft due to hydraulic pressure, the C-ABS offers a more responsive brake-lever feel.
And like always, the Honda sportbike receives a one-year warranty, and can be customized with many Honda Genuine Accessories, such as Color-matched Seat Cowl, Carbon Fiber License Plate Frame, Standard Cycle Cover, Racing Cycle Cover, U-Lock, Carbon Fiber Front Tank Trim, Fuel Lid Cover, Tank Pad, and Knee Pads.
Following are the specs, color options and MSRP for the 2012 Honda CBR600 RR.
2012 Honda CBR 600 RR Specs:

Model: CBR600RR / CBR600RR C-ABS
Engine Type: 599cc liquid-cooled inline four-cylinder
Bore and Stroke: 67mm x 42.5mm
Compression ratio: 12.2:1
Valve Train: DOHC; four valves per cylinder
Induction: Dual Stage Fuel Injection (DSFI) with 40mm throttle bodies, Denso 12-hole injectors
Ignition: Computer-controlled digital transistorized with 3-D mapping
Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed
Final Drive: #525 O-ring chain
Suspension Front: 41mm inverted HMAS cartridge fork with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 4.3 inches travel
Rear: Unit Pro-Link HMAS single shock with spring preload, rebound and compression damping adjustability; 5.1 inches travel
Brakes Front: Dual radial-mounted four-piston calipers with 310mm discs
Rear: Single 220mm disc; Optional Honda Combined ABS (CBR600RR C-ABS)
Tires Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial
Rear: 180/55ZR-17 radial
Wheelbase: 53.9 inches
Rake: 23.5°
Trail: 97.7mm (3.9 inches)
Seat Height: 32.3 inches
Fuel Capacity: 4.8 gallons, including 0.9-gallon reserve
Estimated Fuel Economy: 40 mpg
Curb Weight: 410 pounds (CBR600RR) / 434 pounds (CBR600RR C-ABS)

2012 Honda CBR 600 RR Color Options/MSRP:

Red / $11,540
Black $11,540
Black C-ABS (only available in Black) $12,540

mdub
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 01:24 PM
sweet lil bike...i chk out the big one last week it is also nice. 1k still has that awful mud flap as well. At least we are not in europe, but they do have the autobahn...

Ricky
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Still...it'd be nice to see a new CBR 600RR--maybe with some new-fangled features like...I dunno...a slipper clutch?

I actually prefer that it doesn't have all that extra stuff on it that the rest of the bikes have. Power modes, slipper clutch, etc. It gives you a raw bike without all the helpers. Though the one thing that I do love is the HESD. The current models will probably be the last though. I have a feeling Honda will compete in that department.

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 01:37 PM
but they do have the autobahn...

We could have that here too, but...yeah...never happen...

I didn't realize how fat my F2 looked until I stare at those pics.

And the dude with the 91 *really* needs to clean the inside of those 'C' shaped rim ribs, I know it sucks, and some of it's shadow, but those look like shit...

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 01:39 PM
I actually prefer that it doesn't have all that extra stuff on it that the rest of the bikes have. Power modes, slipper clutch, etc. It gives you a raw bike without all the helpers. Though the one thing that I do love is the HESD. The current models will probably be the last though. I have a feeling Honda will compete in that department.

I'd really like a slipper, primarily for my trackday jaunts--and for the price of a CBR, it needs to be on there...everyone else has one and for a lower MSRP...

But, really, this is an old bike at this point...I know 600 sales are sluggish, but pushing the same old bike won't inspire anyone to go trade in for the latest/greatest....

salsashark
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 01:45 PM
I'd really like a slipper, primarily for my trackday jaunts--and for the price of a CBR, it needs to be on there...everyone else has one and for a lower MSRP...

But, really, this is an old bike at this point...I know 600 sales are sluggish, but pushing the same old bike won't inspire anyone to go trade in for the latest/greatest....

Kind of my thought... typical Honda...

Same old bike, at a higher price. But wait, it's got a new color! w00t!!

lah de freakin dah...

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Kind of my thought... typical Honda...

Same old bike, at a higher price. But wait, it's got a new color! w00t!!

lah de freakin dah...

Yeah, seriously lame...

I know times are tough and 600 sales are particularly shitty, but that's exactly why they need to up their game and blow everyone else away.

Instead, you've got your NEW 2012 CBR competing against essentially the same bike (2007-2008 ) or exactly the same bike (2009+) on the used market for $5k and/or still on dealer showrooms as hold-overs...

Dumb, Honda, really dumb...grow some balls, take some risks, spend money to make money...it's not that hard to do, just do it...:roll:

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:06 PM
I know times are tough and 600 sales are particularly shitty, but that's exactly why they need to up their game and blow everyone else away.

Like a 600cc V4 supersport. That would be a killer track machine...

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Like a 600cc V4 supersport. That would be a killer track machine...

Exactly. And they had that patent for one floated out there, probably just to judge reaction, but nothing ever came of it...

With their history of V4s, and with the doldrums in sales, now would be an ideal time for a real game-changer like the 900RR back in 1993...

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:14 PM
And, fwiw, that front rim on the Red/White should be red, kinda like the old Smokin Joe's Purple/Yellow...

And the frame/subframe/everything should be black. I know the silver is retro-cool and looks like the F2, but...bleck...

salsashark
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:16 PM
Yeah, seriously lame...

Instead, you've got your NEW 2012 CBR competing against essentially the same bike (2007-2008 ) or exactly the same bike (2009+) on the used market for $5k and/or still on dealer showrooms as hold-overs...

Dumb, Honda, really dumb...grow some balls, take some risks, spend money to make money...it's not that hard to do, just do it...:roll:

for $500 less, you could get a Ducati Monster 1100 evo... :D

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:24 PM
for $500 less, you could get a Ducati Monster 1100 evo... :D

Heh, not quite apples to apples, but I get your point. ;)

BC14
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Or a held over Concours14....Just sayin' :p And my bike has a slipper clutch...It's shaft drive and made for "old" people. Get with the times Honduh.....

tecknojoe
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:30 PM
slipper should be standard. Something you'll never use or need until you get to the track anyway.

I'm a fan of the mechanical mods. TC and other nonsense I can do without

tecknojoe
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:33 PM
oh and that price is fucking ridiculous.

Ricky
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:44 PM
I'd say Honda is more focused on the street than the track. I don't see Yamaha and Suzuki putting ABS on their supersport bikes. Why would they make a slipper clutch standard when 9 out of 10 bikes will never see the track? I agree with the pricing crap, but on the street HESD and ABS are more useful than a slipper clutch.

Seems to me that Honda is doing something different than the competition.

mdub
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:52 PM
yea..... seems like they are focusing on the demographics that probably wont take their bike onto the track in the near future.

ABS, not sure about that. Have not ridden one. But i hear more cons from riders towards that it is not neccessary. But if you askt a salesperson its the other way. The steering damper is quite nice...Smooth from 0 thru triple digits

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 02:58 PM
I'd say Honda is more focused on the street than the track. I don't see Yamaha and Suzuki putting ABS on their supersport bikes. Why would they make a slipper clutch standard when 9 out of 10 bikes will never see the track? I agree with the pricing crap, but on the street HESD and ABS are more useful than a slipper clutch.

Seems to me that Honda is doing something different than the competition.

Different, Yeah, they're losing market-share...

In the supersport market, charging more, offering less, offering the same old shit, and getting dinged in the press for all of that will kill your business.

I think slippers are always useful, even on the street.

But, even if I didn't, 600 sales are driven almost entirely by magazine reviews, and once they claim "you need it" and your bike doesn't have it, or it's not the top of every comparison then it's time to listen and change.

Honda keeps saying "This is good enough for you" and expects the public to agree and pony up the money when really Honda needs to listen to the consumers when they say "This is what I want and what I'll spend my money on"...and lately it's not the 600rr...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Or a held over Concours14....Just sayin' :p And my bike has a slipper clutch...It's shaft drive and made for "old" people. Get with the times Honduh.....
Aren't they ALL "held-over" (for good reason)????:p :D

BC14
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 04:19 PM
Aren't they ALL "held-over" (for good reason)????:p :D
Another "witty" comment from Frank :loser::poo::roll:

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Another "witty" comment from Frank :loser::poo::roll:
Another witless......ahhh, nevermind.....

And besides, Honduh DOES make the VFR1200 for comparison......

Ghost
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM

And they're still making the VFR 800...for whatever reason...

But I'm not sure what you mean "for comparison", you mean the 1200 is newer in design?

BC14
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 05:15 PM

Don't get me started on the VFR1200 VS. the other ST bikes... Way overpriced for what you get, for one.

/end thread jack. My bad

Wrider
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 05:24 PM
I vote we just give it to this dude, he'd make it BADASS YO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4scZ1LlXbA&feature=related

mdub
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
love the comments on the video.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 05:54 PM

But I'm not sure what you mean "for comparison", you mean the 1200 is newer in design?
I just read a recent comparo between those 2, the Triumph, and the Multistrada......and the Connie won again. They all play in the same market. Hell, if I was in the market for something like that, I'd most likely pick the Connie (God, did I just say that???)......and paint it Kawi Green! :)

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Don't get me started on the VFR1200 VS. the other ST bikes... Way overpriced for what you get, for one.

/end thread jack. My bad
Don't let Gary hear you talkin' dat' smack!:D

dirkterrell
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 06:24 PM

Probably because they continue to sell.

BC14
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Don't let Gary hear you talkin' dat' smack!:D
He got a solid price on his. We've had this discussion.

mdub
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 06:47 PM
do believe all sport bikes will cont' to sell as well

thankgod
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 07:51 PM
I really dig that color scheme...8)

mdub
Tue Sep 27th, 2011, 08:00 PM
really neat how it is somewhat a recycled color scheme...

deadline
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 02:35 AM
white rims is a nice touch... but be ready for them being dirty all the time!

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:13 AM
He got a solid price on his. We've had this discussion.
He really likes it. I asked him whe he had that Ninja if he'd rather have that compared to the VFR, and he said he liked the VFR better. Me, I'd be more inclined to get a Connie if that was what I wanted.......assuming I could get it in Kawi green. ;)

BC14
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:45 AM
He really likes it. I asked him whe he had that Ninja if he'd rather have that compared to the VFR, and he said he liked the VFR better. Me, I'd be more inclined to get a Connie if that was what I wanted.......assuming I could get it in Kawi green. ;)
You can paint a bike whatever color you want. The connie demographic doesn't seem the type to want a neon green. Yes, the VFR1200 is a nice bike, but not "worth" the 15k asking price for what you get, or don't, imo.

Scatterbrain
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I like the new CBR but not so hot about the red and white....

longrider
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Just for the record the VFR800 was last built in 2009. There probably are new ones still in the showroom but they are 09 or older

Ghost
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Just for the record the VFR800 was last built in 2009. There probably are new ones still in the showroom but they are 09 or older

Yeah, but there must be a TON of them still out there, as Honda's corporate website still lists the 2009 models as one of their "current" ones that you can get to from the main banner (under "sport"):

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/interceptor.aspx

Ghost
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 11:46 AM
Short Blurb

MotorcycleUSA: 2012 Honda CBR600RR First Look
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/2012_Honda_CBR600RR_Red.jpg (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/75107/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2012-Honda-CBR600RR.aspx)
Back again with new colors and no major refinements, the 2012 Honda CBR600RR (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/406/Motorcycles/Honda-CBR600RR.aspx) hopes its combination of light weight, midrange power and excellent handling will be enough to entertain consumers for another year.

There isn’t a whole lot to report from the Honda camp regarding the 2012 Honda CBR600RR. While we really enjoy this motorcycle and it has proven to be a solid performer in our annual Supersport Shootout (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/10189/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Supersport-Shootout-IX-Track.aspx) (it finished runner-up in 2011), the motorcycle hasn’t seen many significant upgrades in recent years. The status quo remains for 2012 as the biggest news surrounding the CBR600RR is a new Red/White color way ($150 extra) that features white wheels. This is a throwback of sorts to the popular CBR600F2 which always seemed to sport the white-wheeled look in its heyday.

The 2012 Honda CBR600RR will be available in dealerships in December, 2011 with an MSRP of $11,540 for the black base model, $11,690 for the red/white base model and $12,540 for the C-ABS equipped version

Ghost
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 11:48 AM
2012 CBR 1000RR

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/625/11139/Motorcycle-Article/2012-Honda-CBR1000RR-First-Look.aspx?WT.i_e_dcsvid=1581970414

Over the years the latest generation CBR1000RR (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/399/Motorcycles/Honda-CBR1000RR.aspx) has proven to be one of the best liter bikes we have tested at MotorcycleUSA.com (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/), but knowing this is the 20th Anniversary of the original CBR900RR we were a little disappointed not to see more significant upgrades on Honda’s flagship sportbike. In our 2011 Superbike Smackdown (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/9/9680/Motorcycle-Article/2011-Superbike-Smackdown-VIII-Track.aspx) the 1000RR finished runner-up to only the mighty BMW S1000R. It held off the challenge from Kawasaki, Suzuki, KTM and Yamaha with one of the oldest designs in the class and a 150-horsepower engine with no traction control or variable engine mapping. Sure, it handles great, is very rider friendly and looks decent enough, if not a little subdued.

So, it would seem that addressing the dearth of power or technological gadgets might be on the table for the anniversary edition; instead, Honda (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/290/Motorcycles/Honda-Sportbikes.aspx) opted to simply sharpen the tip of its spear. In these tough economic times, who can blame Big Red for taking the conservative approach? Instead of bitching about what we didn’t get, let’s take a look at what we did get.

Starting with the chassis, the 2012 Honda CBR1000RR now utilizes Big Piston Fork technology, complemented by Honda’s “Balance-Free Rear Shock.” Exactly what the new configuration brings to the table is being kept under wraps http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/2012-Honda-CBR1000RR-3.jpg (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/75089/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2012-Honda-CBR1000RR.aspx)
Most of the CBR's revisions are targeted toward its chassis with Big Piston Fork technology being added along with Honda's newly configured Balance-Free rear shock.
until the upcoming press introduction of the new model. Stay tuned for a technical explanation of Balance-Free in the coming months. The CBR1000RR was never in contention for the class horsepower title, but the motorcycle has always been strong in the real world and is rider-friendly on the track thanks to its strong bottom-end and midrange-biased power delivery.

It doesn’t appear anything was done to the engine so we expect the new CBR to still churn out somewhere in the neighborhood of 153-horsepower and 78 lb-ft. of torque which keeps it right in the middle of the pack. What Honda has done historically is used an excellent chassis, confidence-inspiring handling and light weight to its advantage on both the street the track.

In our 2011 track test, the CBR1000RR won the coveted Superpole during our timed and controlled on-track session at Chuckwalla Valley Raceway. AMA Superbike racer Steve Rapp (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/639/Motorcycles/Steve-Rapp.aspx) edged out the BMW and Kawasaki to give the Honda top billing and the right to retain the coveted Superpole Cup for the third-consecutive year. Now, with revised suspension components we have to expect the CBR will handle even better, which will make it a more formidable opponent come testing time.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/photogallerys/large/2012-Honda-CBR1000RR-2.jpg (http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/75088/Motorcycle-Photo-Gallery-Photo/2012-Honda-CBR1000RR.aspx)
The 2012 CBR includes styling updates to give it a more aggressive look, particularly around the headlamps.
Where the most conspicuous changes to the 2012 CBR1000RR come into play is in the styling department. New, aggressive bodywork - particularly the front cowling, combined with new 12-spoke wheels, gives the Honda a sporty facelift. The front fairing, especially around the headlamps, has been received with mixed reviews from the public when the bike first broke cover in Japan. You cannot argue that the new look gives the CBR an anime-quality that some riders seem to love or hate. The side panels leave much more of the engine cases exposed and have a distinct teardrop look that helps distinguish this model form the previous version. The dash appears to be revised as well, with a new multi-function racing-style LCD dash that replaces the more traditional unit found on the ’11 model.

The CBR1000RR continues to be offered as a C-ABS version, but significant upgrades like traction control, which now BMW, Kawasaki and Yamaha all offer, eluded the Honda this time around. With a base MSRP of $13,800 or $14,800 for the C-ABS model, the 2012 Honda CBR1000RR is only $400 more than last year’s bike. Plus, the Pearl White/Blue/Red version really stands out compared to the basic red or black schemes.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 01:10 PM
You can paint a bike whatever color you want. The connie demographic doesn't seem the type to want a neon green. Yes, the VFR1200 is a nice bike, but not "worth" the 15k asking price for what you get, or don't, imo.
I just think it'd be cool and different in the Kawi green. Isn't the connie around $14k?

BC14
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
I just think it'd be cool and different in the Kawi green. Isn't the connie around $14k?
That sounds about right

Ricky
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Yeah, but there must be a TON of them still out there, as Honda's corporate website still lists the 2009 models as one of their "current" ones that you can get to from the main banner (under "sport"):

http://powersports.honda.com/2009/interceptor.aspx

Just because it's a 2009 "model", doesn't mean they can't continue to manufacture that model in 2011. It also doesn't necessarily mean that there's a ton of them sitting in crates.