View Full Version : 2002 ZX6 jerks and hesitates above 4K in 3rd

stitch
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 04:50 PM
2002 ZX6R

Symptoms
It is difficult to start.
Jerks and hesitates in 2nd gear and above at about 5K RPM

Recent Change
Added flush mount LED turn signals up front. Two wires so any idiot should be able to wire them up.

The story
Bikes been running great. I bought it about two months ago. Did full fluid change when I got it, oil, coolant, brake and clutch. Even ran some engine cleaner through the engine and changed the oil again. Ran great for the two months I had it.

Rode it about 100 miles last weekend no problems. Took it home and changed the stock turn signals to these new LED flush mounted versions I got off Ebay. My neighbor who is a electrician came over to help me wire it up. Really simple two wires from the old connection to the two wires on the new connection. We put used crimp connectors to join the wires then covered it with electrical tape and heat shrink. Didn't drive it till today. I had a lunch meeting about 5 minutes from my place. Bike started right up no problems. Didn't give it more than 1 min to warm up. Jumped on it and headed down the road. Got less than a mile from my place and was going fast enough to get into 3rd and the bike started to jerk and hesitate like it was running out of gas. Turned the reserve tank on, still continued to jerk and hesitate but was still ridable as long as I did not go above 3rd and about 4K RPMs. 1st was no problem, 2nd at higher RPMs started to show the same symptoms.

Got to my appointment and when I went out to start it again to go home it would not start without me giving it gas and holding the throttle up a bit. I had to hold it above 2K RPMs to keep it running so I turned the idle up to around 2K to keep it running. Then was able to get it home. Ran great in 1st and 2nd below 4K.

So when I got home I disconnected the turn signal connection at the wiring harness and tried to see if the problem went away. No luck still has the same issue.

Any idea what this might be? Is it related to the electrical work or just a unhappy coincidence?

Vellos
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Any idea what this might be?

A Kawasaki.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 06:12 PM
If its jerking then hesitating then jerking some more, it definitely learned everything it knows from Vellos...

stitch
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 06:17 PM
Is there a smiley for hitting a dog on the nose with a rolled up newspaper?

dragos13
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 06:39 AM
Doesn't sound like an electrical issue. Probably just coincidence. I would start by replacing the fuel filter. That is an easy and cheap first step. If that doesn't work, it could be the fuel pump or maybe the carbs just need cleaned out.

stitch
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Doesn't sound like an electrical issue. Probably just coincidence. I would start by replacing the fuel filter. That is an easy and cheap first step. If that doesn't work, it could be the fuel pump or maybe the carbs just need cleaned out.

I am starting to lean towards it being a vacuum line that might have been crimped when I put the faring back on. does that sound plausible?

Ezzzzy1
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I am starting to lean towards it being a vacuum line that might have been crimped when I put the faring back on. does that sound plausible?

I think all the vacuum lines are under the tank and most vacuum problems start with a terrible idol. I agree with Dragos. My first thought was fuel pump. I would take a look at the filter first and go from there.

brennahm
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:45 AM
When did you last put gas in it?

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Fuel tank vent pinched/blocked?

Went through something similar with my wife's bike... Replaced the fuel cap gasket with a thicker one. Unknowingly, this blocked the vent. She'd fire up the bike and it would run great until enough vaccuum built up in the tank to counteract the fuel pump. Then it would sputter/die. Going back to the thinner gasket fixed it right away.

stitch
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 07:00 PM
Turns out the air duct hose was disconnected. Went out tonight to try everyone's suggestions and almost immediately saw that the hose from the ducts to the intake was not connected. Pushed them back together and it ran down the road like a champ.

Vellos
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 12:35 AM
So it wasn't a Kawasaki then.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 05:17 PM
What, is this a list? Oops! Sorry, I saw the words "ZX6 jerks" and immediately thought of Vellos........:D

(Kidding)