PDA

View Full Version : Training ; 101 MSF

DemonRider
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 07:48 PM
So my wife wants a little help; I will do my best but I am not afraid to say even I might need some help. We are thinking of hitting up on of our local empty lots to get her prep for MSF course on the 15th we live near 84th and I-25. We are looking to see if anyone is available any one of three days October 6th, 7th, or 8th and / or October 13th or 14th?

Spooph? Bornwildnfree? Spiderman?

Just let me know and also feel free to leave any tips or suggestions!!;):D

Wife Info-
Name: Nikki -aka: DolphinRider
Bike: 2011 Ninja 250r w/ Frame Sliders Stock Height for now!
Gear: All appropriate
Experience: Sat on a few, have ridden 2UP, nothing else!

thankgod
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 08:23 PM
So my wife wants a little help; I will do my best but I am not afraid to say even I might need some help. We are thinking of hitting up on of our local empty lots to get her prep for MSF course on the 15th we live near 84th and I-25. We are looking to see if anyone is available any one of three days October 6th, 7th, or 8th and / or October 13th or 14th?

Spooph? Bornwildnfree? Spiderman?

Just let me know and also feel free to leave any tips or suggestions!!;):D

Wife Info-
Name: Nikki -aka: DolphinRider
Bike: 2011 Ninja 250r w/ Frame Sliders Stock Height for now!
Gear: All appropriate
Experience: Sat on a few, have ridden 2UP, nothing else!

MSF course??? and more riding? nothing will beat experience and getting on the road and actually riding....we still have a few more weeks left...before we gotta all get spoophed out and put nubs on our tires....

Spiderman
Wed Sep 28th, 2011, 11:42 PM
The MSF Basic Rider Course is designed so even someone with no riding experience, or even the knowledge of how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, can learn everything they need to know to have a safe start to motorcycling and get their endorsement.

I might have some time on the 8th (or 9th if that's an option) to spend some time with her so she won't be so nervous during class.

FZRguy
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Jeffco Stadium lot is huge and marked for the course if you can get over this way (6th and Kipling). Usually, but not always open. Red Rocks Comm College is also marked for the course, and always open.

Spiderman
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Most, if not all of the Community College's are under contract with one of the motorcycle instruction companies in the area. This late in the season they may be available during the week, but there's no guarantee they'll be available on weekends (ie: Red Rocks CC is contracted with ABATE and will be holding a class Oct. 8-9).

Ricky
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 10:26 AM
They have been doing classes in the lot at 88th & Washington near Wendy's. I bet you could hit that during the week.

Jmetz
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 10:30 AM
For the most part if you haven't done the class those lines aren't gonna make a whole lot of sense.

cptschlongenheimer
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 10:33 AM
They have been doing classes in the lot at 88th & Washington near Wendy's. I bet you could hit that during the week.

The MC course/pad there is fenced in. May be locked up. :dunno:

My wife and I did MSF there this spring.

Spiderman
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 10:43 AM
For the most part if you haven't done the class those lines aren't gonna make a whole lot of sense.

Very true. Each exercise has cones that are set up on specific points/markers on the range.

AFAIC, basic intro stuff shouldn't be that detailed and doesn't need a (marked) range. She's going to get all the detailed stuff and do the range exercises when she takes the MSF class.

UglyDogRacing
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 10:53 AM
I suggest finding an open parking lot if you want to practice. As previously indicated, your not going to be able to discern the range layouts just by the painted lines and dots. There is 16 different exercises, each with a different range layout. Without knowledge of each exercise and having the cones set up correctly, you will be basically riding around in a parking lot. Also, you may run into issues with trying to use an MSF range at one of the community colleges with campus security. It's a liability issue for you to be practicing on it.
As Bob stated, you will get everything you will need when you take the class. I will be teaching at Red Rocks on Oct 8/9

UglykidJoe
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 01:08 PM
The east side of Avaya on 120th (120th and Huron)has a huge lot that nobody ever uses anymore. I have taken my three boys there when they started driving.

DolphinRider
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 03:41 PM
thank you all for the ideas and info i cant wait to start learning and riding my bike....if it wasn't for having surgery I've been riding since last week....

DemonRider
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 04:14 PM
I was looking at the old Ultimate Electronics parking lot off 84th and I-25,, No cars pretty stable ground and back in the corner really don't have to worry about anyone. last I checked the Avaya lot was pretty cracked up and has a lot of weeds and grass growing between the cracks, but maybe they have cleaned it up? Range layout not too important just want to work on a few basics just help with the confidence and her nerves :)! She is Scheduled for Front Range Community College on October 15th and 16th, just hoping the Weather holds out:cold::cold:

CraigB
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
The MSF Basic Rider Course is designed so even someone with no riding experience, or even the knowledge of how to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, can learn everything...

Having just taken the MSF course with my GF who, contrary to what I thought, hadn't driven a manual transmission in many, many years; I would suggest that a little time be spent at least talking through the mechanical concepts of a manual before the course.

Of course, they started with clutch control and little drills to help introduce the concept. But, they didn't really get into mechanical concepts of how a manual transmission works. Maybe they would have if questions were asked. But, they weren't and so they didn't.

If someone doesn't understand what it is that the clutch lever is actually doing, things might not go so well. And, when it comes time to upshift while in motion, if a rider doesn't come into the course with an understanding of how all the moving parts work together, there is definitely the potential for things to go badly. I say definite potential because things did go badly.

It doesn't sound like this applies for the OP's wife as she already has a bike. And, I'm not saying that everyone with no manual transmission experience will have a hard time. But, having seen what happened and knowing what the underlying problem was, I absolutely wouldn't advise people that they can go into the course with no knowledge or experience with manual transmissions.

Just a PSA for others who may be reading this thread and thinking about taking someone to an MSF course...

DemonRider
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 05:23 PM
Nope, she has never driven a Manual Transmission in her life (Well let me think about that a moment :D ) anyway... those are areas we are working on right now. but she is understanding it and has a little knowledge of it as she has shifted my..... wait... she has changed the gears on my old truck and have been around it before. but she gets it so that is the first step. Hence part of my requesting some PRE-MSF help:}... I remember when I was 18 I totaled a car and when I went to a car lot to shop for another, I was sold on my first Manual Transmission, the sales guy actually stayed late to take me to a lot and teach me before I went home with it. Best sales guy I have ever dealt with my whole life. My Mom and Sister (In California) learned there first Manual Transmission on Cruiser Bikes. this ought to be fun:D

CraigB
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Nope, she has never driven a Manual Transmission in her life (Well let me think about that a moment :D ) anyway... those are areas we are working on right now. but she is understanding it and has a little knowledge of it as she has shifted my..... wait... she has changed the gears on my old truck and have been around it before. but she gets it so that is the first step.... I remember when I was 18 I totaled a car and when I went to a car lot to shop for another, I was sold on my first Manual Transmission, the sales guy actually stayed late to take me to a lot and teach me before I left the lot. Best sales guy I have ever dealt with my whole life. My Mom and Sister (In California) learned there first Manual Transmission on Cruiser Bikes. this ought to be fun:D

I think the fact that you're working on that stuff beforehand will help in the course. I now wish I'd covered more of the manual transmission basics with my GF before the course.

But, I thought she'd driven my truck. So, as I was preparing her for the course, I was working with that assumption and all we got into as far as transmission goes was shift pattern. She reminded me (as she was sitting there with an ice pack wrapped around her very swollen knee) that she'd only pulled my truck out of the drive so she could get her vehicle out.

Fortunately, no bones were broken and no soft tissue was damaged enough to require surgery. So, it shouldn't take too long before she recovers and I can stop feeling guilty.

Ninja2
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Being far from an expert on this topic and without having read the entire thread, I recommend going over shifting beforehand.

I had driven a stick-shift car ever since, but I didn't feel that helped much in terms of shifting on a bike. Before taking the MSF course, my husband at the time put me on the bike with a rear stand and had me shifting up and down. He then had me ride a bit in a Home Depot shipping and receiving area after hours. I thought that helped quite a bit.
Go, DolphinRider. You will be just fine. Hope all is well!!!