PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Ride - 10/2/11

Corporate MacGyver
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM
So... who's up for a great ride in the mountains on Sunday...

Here's the route ...

Meet at MCO (Morrison Conoco) at 6:15 KSU (Kick Stands Up) at 6:30... Have tanks topped off.

Quick warm up stop at McD in Idaho Springs
Up and Over Berthoud Pass to Winter Park
Quick warm up stop of McD in Winter Park

On to Grandby then Kremmling
Fuel Stop in Kremmling

North out of Kremmling to CO 134 ... Up and over Gore Pass to Toponas
Down CO-131 to I-70

East on I-70 to US-24 (Minturn/Leadville)
Fuel (Bike) in Minturn

On to Leadville ...
Food in Leadville - Golden Burro

Back to Copper Mtn. on CO-91
Thru Frisco and on to Breckenridge

Onto Fairplay on CO-9
Fuel Stop FairPlay

Onto Morrison on US-285

Break at Aspen Park

Back to Morrison...

Total Mileage - 350 +/-

Estimated Ride Time - 7 Hours
Estimated Total Time - 9 Hours

Back in Morrison approximately - 3:30pm

I also have a 30+ mile potential extension (Toponas to Dotsero) ... but 15 miles of gravel road... [This would add 45 minutes to the day] ...

The morning will be cold... so I would suggest layers ...
Potential for some wet roads (30%) in the afternoon...

Pace - Moderate (SL+15)... except in some open areas (then you can expect some areas of 2x of SL) ..

The aspen are turning... excellent and beautiful roads... The road surfaces are excellent ... and we are going to be out in front of traffic...

Expect some congestion on US-285 headed back to Denver...

xxaarraa
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Sounds like a great route! If I wasn't doing part/most of it on Friday, I would be up for it!!

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hey... - Question ...

72 riders have viewed this ride tomorrow... and no one wants to go apparently...

My question is.. Why?
Too long?
Too early?
Bad route?
Too fast of a pace?

Just wondering...

Bob

Cornfed
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hey... - Question ...

72 riders have viewed this ride tomorrow... and no one wants to go apparently...

My question is.. Why?
Too long?
Too early?
Bad route?
Too fast of a pace?

Just wondering...

Bob

Great question. Joined CSC this spring and have experienced alot of the same. :think:

Liv4Twisties
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 11:28 AM
I would love to go but I work early morning until 12:30. Every weekend.
I can ride every day except Tue/Wed after 12:30. And usually do. My fav. lately has been Goden Gate to 72 N. to Ned. North to 7, over to Lyons and back. I also live in Parker, so if my timeing ever appeals to you Cornfed, hit me up.

BlueRanger
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 11:30 AM
more like 72 cops! lol jk. Personally for me it would be time, which I think could be the case for most. It's easy to get on a computer and check what rides are going on, but making time for it in your schedule isn't as easy. I'm on a computer 24/7 and stay logged on here most of the time. So I do a lot of reading, not as much riding.

Oh yeah, something I've noticed during the short period I've been on this forum too is that if you list the ride as noob friendly it will attract more people lol. So in addition to time, I think some are uncomfortable with going to a ride they're unsure about. I guarantee there will be a decent showing in the "slow paced ride" also happening this weekend lol.

Also, I believe it's 72 views not individuals. So perhaps the same people have checked this thread multiple times. Do the views count bots?

Jmetz
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 11:52 AM
Mmmmm Minturn to Leadville...

Sounds like a good ride to me. I'm otherwise engaged or I would.

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 12:48 PM
Great question. Joined CSC this spring and have experienced alot of the same. :think:

I'm open to suggestions...

To me there are three types of sportbike riders...

1 - Posers - "I don't have a lot of time to ride.. except to the hookah bar on Saturday night... but look... My under cowling LEDs match my bike color.. and they pulse to my iPod ... Dude... when are you going to get a slip-on for your bike?" [These guys have a built in limit of 40 miles a day... and there must be a bar/food/or ... at the destination...] It surely not for the excitement of the open road and seeing sport bike riding as a live video game with real life consequences.

2 - Three hour warriors... - Same route.. Same riders.. Same weather (has to be good) ... Same road conditions (no sand ... no construction ... no traffic ... etc)... The thought of dealing with the unknowns of weather, traffic, cops, road conditions... early morning live animals on the road... late afternoon sleepy drivers and etc... Unknown fuels stops.. and only looking for food and relief as necessity dictates is not in their list of acceptable risks for this activity.

3 - Passioned Sportbike riders - We ride... We eat to ride... Not ride to eat... Our bikes are well maintained... We do long days on unfamiliar roads. We don't complain about heat, cold, sun, rain or even a little snow. We do bitch about hail and lightening! We leave early... we get home late. If we have to deal with unpaved roads.. we deal... we don't turn around. We put the bike away and sleep dreaming about perfect corners, outside passes in blind corners ... the smell of road, fresh cut crops, cold icy mornings that cause our visors to fog... The warmth of a friendly face in a diner in a small town that we have never been to... The questions from other riders about where you are from.. and WOW! you've already come from there this morning... We plan our rides... We plan our time on the bike... and we prioritize our schedules so we can ride... at Oh-Dark-30... to be ahead of traffic and cops. We give up a late nite party... so we can have the ultimate experience riding tomorrow. We watch training videos and take instruction to make us better road warriors on our sportbikes. We take a couple of multi-day 1,500+ mile trips a year... We Lobo (lone wolf rides) to clear our heads ...

I may have the opportunity to Lobo tomorrow... so when you don't ride tomorrow... and at 11am ... you get that case of 'should of, could of... would of.. thing going on... )... I'll be sitting hundreds of miles away from Denver on new roads with the autumn sun in my face.. and the smell of fall in the air... I'll return home late... happy to be home... and will have another 400+ miles on the bike... stories to tell... and memories to keep. It may snow next weekend... it may not! This is Denver..

or... I'll see you at 6:15 tomorrow morning... at MCO

Airreed
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:03 PM
I'll be honest 0615 is a bit early for me...i'd have to leave my house around 0545 (I live fairly close to you((Quincy and Tower/Resivour)...

Sounds like a good route esp with the Aspens turning color now!

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:09 PM
I'll be honest 0615 is a bit early for me...i'd have to leave my house around 0545 (I live fairly close to you((Quincy and Tower/Resivour)...

Sounds like a good route esp with the Aspens turning color now!

Do you need a wake up call.. or a tow? :)

There will be a lot of traffic tomorrow afternoon... I want out of Dodge early ... and home sooner than later...

Skip the party tonight... see you in the morning...

Jmetz
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Do you need a wake up call.. or a tow? :)

There will be a lot of traffic tomorrow afternoon... I want out of Dodge early ... and home sooner than later...

Skip the party tonight... see you in the morning...

Threatening other members is not tolerated here.

Bueller
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:25 PM
Since you asked:
I would much rather ride by myself or with my wife on the back, or on her own bike, or with small groups of people I know and trust. Random groups become a hassle in a hurry.
What you are not taking into account is that you are new here and no one knows you or has really ridden with you. I have no idea of how you act in a group dynamic. People who own sportbikes tend to like to go fast and many have no idea how to do this without taking stupid risks that put themselves and those around them in harms way or attracting the attention of law enforcement.
You might be a sensible skilled rider but without first hand knowledge of this I am inclined to play it safe and wait for your experiences to tell the story. I have a long list of "never ride withs" on this board over the years. Some are personal experiences, some are due to the tales that have been told here.
Noobs that post rides are usually joined by other noobs and as it has been this year, it has been in previous years, more often than not there is an incident or two on these rides.
I have a bike and several places (tracks) that are dedicated to riding all out and that is where I go to get that fix, not to say I don't have fun in the hills in the corners but I prefer to do it where I don't attract unwanted attention.
If you want find people to ride with, I would suggest joining some rides that other people post to get to know some of them, networking is very important here. Unfortunately the people you are looking to get out and ride with generally don't post their rides publicly for the very reasons I have previously stated.

Hope you have a great ride tomorrow, it should be a scenic one.

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Threatening other members is not tolerated here.

Huh?

What's the threat?

Not showing up at the party?

LOL ...

Have a great weekend....

Jmetz
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
I'm pretty sure you threatened to help get him to a ride and called him a pussy. :D

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 02:58 PM
Since you asked:
I would much rather ride by myself or with my wife on the back, or on her own bike, or with small groups of people I know and trust. Random groups become a hassle in a hurry.
What you are not taking into account is that you are new here and no one knows you or has really ridden with you. I have no idea of how you act in a group dynamic. People who own sportbikes tend to like to go fast and many have no idea how to do this without taking stupid risks that put themselves and those around them in harms way or attracting the attention of law enforcement.
You might be a sensible skilled rider but without first hand knowledge of this I am inclined to play it safe and wait for your experiences to tell the story. I have a long list of "never ride withs" on this board over the years. Some are personal experiences, some are due to the tales that have been told here.
Noobs that post rides are usually joined by other noobs and as it has been this year, it has been in previous years, more often than not there is an incident or two on these rides.
I have a bike and several places (tracks) that are dedicated to riding all out and that is where I go to get that fix, not to say I don't have fun in the hills in the corners but I prefer to do it where I don't attract unwanted attention.
If you want find people to ride with, I would suggest joining some rides that other people post to get to know some of them, networking is very important here. Unfortunately the people you are looking to get out and ride with generally don't post their rides publicly for the very reasons I have previously stated.

Hope you have a great ride tomorrow, it should be a scenic one.

Thank you for the words of advice. I love being a noob. I have ridden with several of the 'senior' board members here.. So ... have a great weekend...

SloBlue
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Hey... - Question ...

My question is.. Why?
Too long?
Too early?
Bad route?
Too fast of a pace?

Just wondering...

Bob

As for me, I made one ride out of MOCO this summer. I have a hour ride to get there. I don't care for riding after dark or before daylight. Also, I seem to have way too many other things that have to be done. So, I look at your thread, I think to myself, "Man, that sounds like fun. I wish I could go." And then I check back later to see your pics and enjoy your ride vicariously. :)

Also, I am not going to let someone else's actions get me a ticket, so when you post a route and add that during some parts of it the pace will be 2X the SL I sort of try to steer clear of temptations. A 20 mph over ticket would cost me my job. :(

DemonRider
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 03:40 PM
Sometimes people see the ride and will show up, somepeople just dont want to respond on the Board! You'll sometimes be surprised that only a handfull of people will respond and while your waiting at the meet location you suddenly find that you have to split into two or more groups;) just let it flow and see what happens; have a great ride and have fun; even if it's SOLO!

Cornfed
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 05:13 PM
Sometimes people see the ride and will show up, somepeople just dont want to respond on the Board! You'll sometimes be surprised that only a handfull of people will respond and while your waiting at the meet location you suddenly find that you have to split into two or more groups;) just let it flow and see what happens; have a great ride and have fun; even if it's SOLO!

Ya, havent had much luck with that. Maybe Im just too slow.....:loser:

Clovis
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 07:06 PM
0615 is pretty damn early for October to be honest. Sunrise isn't even until almost 7am right now. It's also pretty cold that early.

You might have better luck with a 8:30 KSU.

The majority of CSC rides aren't posted publicly and there's a few secret squirrel CSC groups. Find a few people you enjoy riding with and stick with them is my advise.

Also, with your route. Jkol and I were up in that are today and it was HEAVY with traffic. Lots of leaf peepers with a dashing of LEO thrown in. Caravans of cars going under the speed limit, people randomly pulling over to take a picture of a leaf. 119 past Nederland and 34/36 to Estes Park and/or Lyons are the worst for that right now.

-Clovis

Jmetz
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 08:15 PM
Yeah weekday riding is looking like the better way to go.

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 08:32 PM
0615 is pretty damn early for October to be honest. Sunrise isn't even until almost 7am right now. It's also pretty cold that early.

You might have better luck with a 8:30 KSU.

The majority of CSC rides aren't posted publicly and there's a few secret squirrel CSC groups. Find a few people you enjoy riding with and stick with them is my advise.

Also, with your route. Jkol and I were up in that are today and it was HEAVY with traffic. Lots of leaf peepers with a dashing of LEO thrown in. Caravans of cars going under the speed limit, people randomly pulling over to take a picture of a leaf. 119 past Nederland and 34/36 to Estes Park and/or Lyons are the worst for that right now.

-Clovis

The traffic issues don't happen at 6:30 am... :)
The LEOs are greatly reduced at 6:30 am...
and by 8 am.. I'll be up and over Berthoud .. and getting a coffee in WP.

I did a portion of this ride two weeks ago.. and almost NO traffic west of Grandby... I truly don't expect much traffic until FairPlay.. and the ride home down 285. If I'm on schedule... I'll still be ahead of the return crush..

An 8:30 departure would be disastrous both on the outbound ride... and the return ride... right in the middle of Sunday leaf traffic ... If it is real bad on 285 at FairPlay... I can continue south on 9 to US24.. and ride into Springs and up 25 or 83.

For these final weekend rides in the mountains ... have to be flexible coming home...

Corporate MacGyver
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 08:34 PM
Yeah weekday riding is looking like the better way to go.

Hummm... I would agree.. want to call my clients and let them know for me?

:think: