PDA

View Full Version : Throttle Blipping

CraigB
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 07:54 PM
I'm starting to contemplate track skills and wanting to make sure I understand throttle blipping correctly.

So, if I understand it correctly, the reason to blip the throttle is to bring up the RPMs each time you drop down a gear and let out the clutch so that engine braking doesn't cause the rear end to cut loose. Right?

And, if so, how much throttle do you give it?

I know the right answer is that you match RPMs to tire speed. But, is there an RPM range that you target (e.g. 75% of redline, 50% of redline, etc)?

For those who read this, think this guy really doesn't know what he's getting into, and feel inclined to offer words of caution, thank you.

But, I actually 'get' this stuff when riding better than the question might make it sound. I'm a kinesthetic learner who is much better at just doing it by feel than I am at describing the theory. And, I'm trying to get my head around the theory.

I'm not saying I shouldn't take it step by step and be cautious. I just realize that question may make it sound as though I have no idea what I'm doing. I have a bit of an idea...

tecknojoe
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 08:11 PM
On the track there are times when I blip a decent amount, but on the street, off the top of my head, it's about 1k rpm when I drop a gear (R6). I usually chill in the 5k range too, so that probly makes me need a little less rev matching too.

When you're learning rev matching, just focus on raising the RPMs slightly. being smooth will come over time. You don't even have to blip, you can just gently give small throttle input and it'll do the same job. Nothing's stoping you from shifting up and down repeatedly either, if u wanted to practice a little

they key is just a small amount, don't over think it

Bueller
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 08:22 PM
I do it all the time, I have never really looked at the rpms, it is all feel and sound.
This clip will let you hear it on my Ninja 250, I have to shift it a lot so I blip a lot on it. I don't have a tach on it anymore so like I said no idea on rpm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D497HXAIKuo

brennahm
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:37 PM
When I rode my R1 I heard about the technique and made it a mission of mine. The best thing I read was regarding getting the throttle blip without affecting your braking.

The idea as I see it is to get a smooth shift, which requires blipping the throttle, while under braking.

When you start attempting this you will find yourself letting off the throttle to blip. Eventually, you'll be able to blip without affecting your braking.

Focusing on RPM is focusing on the wrong thing. Blip a little bit. You'll feel the difference. Go from there working on making it smooth.

asp_125
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:47 PM
Think of it another way. When you upshift normally, say in 3rd gear, what RPM is it? Then, when you engage 4th gear what RPM does it fall to (without you adding more gas to accelerate). The difference is how much you need to blip going back down from 4th to 3rd. Technically it's the difference in RPM that results from the final drive ratios between each gear.

But it's not an exact science, more by feel than anything. The key is to let out the clutch smoooooothly especially at first.

OUTLAWD
Thu Sep 29th, 2011, 09:51 PM
At the STAR school, Jason had us maintain a constant speed, and run up and down through the gearbox. This will give you a feel for rev matching and will also help you feed the clutch out smoothly.

stubbicatt
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 06:05 AM
I love the slipper clutch.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 07:15 AM
To expand on that, I really don't bip much, I make my own slipper clutch by only pullig in the lever about halfway and giving it just a little blip.

dragos13
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Like everyone has said, blip so that you are smooth. There is no magic number and the last thing you should be doing coming into a corner is looking at your tach. If you blip too much, the bike will jump forward. If you don't blip enough, the rear "could" lock up. Blipping the throttle comes hand in hand with being smooth on the clutch also. Some people won't blip, they just feather out the clutch slowly and let the engine do the work. Always release the clutch slowly. Like they say "the fastest riders have the slowest hands". In order to be the best, you want to me as smooth as possible. In my opinion, that means doing everything I can to make the bike happy, slipper clutch, blip the throttle, brake progressively, and feather the clutch out.

Owen_R6
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 09:53 AM
On the track there are times when I blip a decent amount, but on the street, off the top of my head, it's about 1k rpm when I drop a gear (R6). I usually chill in the 5k range too, so that probly makes me need a little less rev matching too.

When you're learning rev matching, just focus on raising the RPMs slightly. being smooth will come over time. You don't even have to blip, you can just gently give small throttle input and it'll do the same job. Nothing's stoping you from shifting up and down repeatedly either, if u wanted to practice a little

they key is just a small amount, don't over think it

Couldnt have said it better myself...i also have the same bike as joe haha

CraigB
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 10:31 AM
Thanks for all of the helpful input, everyone.

Bueller, I've watched quite a few vids on YouTube and yours is the best one I've seen as far as being able to hear the blipping goes.

OUTLAWD
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Bueller, I've watched quite a few vids on YouTube and yours is the best one I've seen as far as being able to hear the blipping goes.

you can't help but hear that obnoxious thing

Bueller
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 11:35 AM

:lol:

CraigB
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
ok, so I've been out practicing and, on a few occasions, I've nailed it. the downshift was super smooth and there was no engine braking when i got back on the throttle.

and, there were the other occasions. i have some ideas as to what I did wrong on those occasions when the bike let me know it wasn't happy. here's what i think i did wrong based on the bike's feedback:

1) brief, hard acceleration during the blip - applying too much throttle and/or releasing the clutch too quickly
2) engine braking deceleration during the blip - not applying enough throttle and/or timing was off and the clutch was let out too late
3) engine braking kicks in during the blip - letting off the throttle for the next downshift before pulling in the clutch
4) RPMs spike to near red line when letting off the brakes and rolling on the throttle - downshifted too far

for a couple of those, the 'symptoms' are the same but i think it was caused by a different problem. do those seem like the right diagnosis? any other words of wisdom or suggestions?

tecknojoe
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:41 PM
Don't downshift if you're already ~9k or above RPM. It can lock up the real wheel and make the bike squirlly. No need for that high on the street anyway

Ghost
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:42 PM

Deaf people can hear that thing.

Blipping is as much art/feel as it is a "hard" science. I've never owned a bike with a slipper, so blipping is all I can do, and I do it on the street and the track--but again, you get better by doing it. For me it's essentially instinctive now, and smoothness comes with practice.

OUTLAWD
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 05:43 PM
4) RPMs spike to near red line when letting off the brakes and rolling on the throttle

:spit: that made me laugh a little

Sounds like you are making good progress, and you understand what is going on. It really irks me when people ride, but don't care to understand the mechanics of what is actually happening when you use the controls.

Just keep at it, it is definitely more a feel thing that anything else. :up:

Bueller
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
Next chapter is backing it in. ;)

Without a slipper :twisted:

CraigB
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:26 PM
Don't downshift if you're already ~9k or above RPM. It can lock up the real wheel and make the bike squirlly. No need for that high on the street anyway

:spit: that made me laugh a little

haha, yeah, i was having a little too much fun practicing the blip and couldn't stop downshifting.

Next chapter is backing it in. ;)

uh, what?

Bueller
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:31 PM
uh, what?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z20p0ore9iU&feature=related

Downshifting twice without the blip and a bit of brake modulation. :D

CraigB
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 06:47 PM

oh, that. shit, that's easy. i figured out how to do it the first time i came into a corner too hot. j/k

EABruno
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 07:39 PM
I ride a 250 also, so shifting is a life style with this bike. I always blip the throttle when shifting. Makes for a much smoother ride I think. Plus before I bought a bike I always did it driving my cars too. Automatics suck if you can drive a stick properly.

tecknojoe
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM

oooooh so it's drop two and dump. heads up turn 1!

Bueller
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM
That only works if you have a cheater clutch.....um I mean slipper, other wise there is a bit more to it.

tecknojoe
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Oh I gotta learn the manly way then. I'm not a pussy with a slipper clutch :lol:

In other news, hi my name is Joe and I might be looking for a 06+ R6 to race next season