PDA

View Full Version : Rampart this weekend?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 05:18 PM
Anyone going? I might do this instead of Durango, and save that for 2 weeks from now.

I hear it's a good place to ride.

Nooch
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 06:21 PM
I think some of the upper roads in that area close soon if not already. Edit: The rest of this post was pointless! ;)

Jmetz
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 06:24 PM
He's in the dirt Noobch! :lol:

Nooch
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 06:31 PM
He's in the dirt Noobch! :lol:

Edit: Nevermind, KX500 isnt a D/S lol. You're right, Im dumb! But Rampart is still cool! :D I used to play AIrsoft up there, lots of ATVs and dirt riders!

GregsGSXR
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I'm going up on Sunday 10/2. I'll be up there around 10:00 on the DRZ. I'm riding it up there, no trailer for me. Leaving Littleton about 9:00. Fuel up in Sedalia on the way.

FZRguy
Fri Sep 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
I hear it's a good place to ride.

Not so much on a weekend as it is crowded and all trails are two way. If you go on a weekend, at least drive further south on Rampart Range Rd to Devils Head CG (9 miles from Hwy 67) and start riding from there. And be ready for oncoming traffic at all times.

stubbicatt
Sat Oct 1st, 2011, 04:16 AM
Frank? You going to ride your street bike on those dirt roads/trails?

CYCLE_MONKEY
Mon Oct 3rd, 2011, 09:52 AM
Man, am I SORE! Only biffed it twice, once I got body-slammed when the traction went to zero on the hardpack covered with gravel (slight dent in the pipe, no other damage besides a few rasberries), and then just falling oveer at a walking pace in some deep sand. Not bad for not having ridden it in over 5 years, or on a regular basis for over 20. Riding a KX500 on those trails is like shooting pool with a howitzer though. Kept stalling it on the downhills because it has zero flywheel, and some of the bigger hills were, ahh, fun in that way too. Balancing between stalling it and flipping over backwards. Can't wait to do Moab next year for some more open spaces more suited to the Green Monster. Had fun though, ran thru a whole tank (about 4.5 ) and spent almost 5 hours doing it. Got my workout in! Traffic wasn't bad, but the trails are REALLY washed out and rutted. Even the "beginner" trails had some pretty tough spots.