PDA

View Full Version : Cager rout for checking out CO Fall colors.

RajunCajun
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 02:30 AM
Since this is probably my last Fall in CO, me and my girl would like to cage a ride in the mountains to see the color change. Since lots of you are posting awesome pics lately, are there any particular routes (spelled wrong in title) that you guys think would be more colorful than others? I think Estes might be great but I'm down for others as well.

spdu4ia
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 04:07 AM
We took hwy24 west out to Divide from Springs. I've heard driving up to breckenridge is nice as well. Depends on where you are coming from.

FZRACE97
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Shrine Pass from I-70 in to Red Cliff then on to Leadville, HWY 91
North to Copper Mtn was beauti last weekend.

modette99
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 09:00 AM
Gold Camp Rd...but a lot of looky lous up there going way to fast around blind corners. Then go to Victor when you pop out on 81, hit up the Eagle overlook just north of Victor, then loop out to Cripple Creek...you then can can 67 back or Rd 1. The Molly Kathleen mine tour is also good and worth the money. Eat in Victor as the place near the corner is good....the Pizza place (great pizza).

That would be a nice LOOP and a good time with your gal.

asp_125
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 10:00 AM
Check out the 9 news links on the right.
http://www.9news.com/weather/outdoors/fall_colors/default.aspx

Sean
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 10:04 AM
Drive to a motorcycle shop, buy a bike and then go ride it around the state. :hump:

I thought Peak to Peak up to Estes is nice. But if you go on a weekend it's super crowded. Or try Berthoud pass over to Winter Park. I think almost anywhere you go is going to be pretty nice.

OUTLAWD
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 10:51 AM
try the highways and dirt roads...that way you won't be in my way ;)

P2P and 7 were pretty sweet just after sunrise, great pics the with the sun from the east, and no traffic...the same could be said for everything in the front range most likely

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 11:40 AM
head up 285 towards Grant...then go Right up towards Guanella pass. EPIC!

King Nothing
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
he's gonna "rout" those leaves

DriverDave
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Best long loop....Squaw Pass from Evergreen to Idaho Springs, I70W to Georgetown, over Guanella Pass to 285, South to Como, north over Boreas Pass to Breckenridge, then I70 back to Denver. I would recommend Wed or Thur of this week.

asp_125
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 05:55 PM
Guanella and Boreas passes are both past prime colors, many stands have already started dropping leaves. West side of Kenosha is still ok and the east side is patchy.

RajunCajun
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Best long loop....Squaw Pass from Evergreen to Idaho Springs, I70W to Georgetown, over Guanella Pass to 285, South to Como, north over Boreas Pass to Breckenridge, then I70 back to Denver. I would recommend Wed or Thur of this week.

Great suggestions!!! DriverDave, I like yours, it sounds pretty popular umung the board.

he's gonna "rout" those leaves

We r going to rout the hell out of those leaves for ya, King Nothing!:D

RajunCajun
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 12:42 AM
Well, she wanted to see Estes so we headed up there, walked the main drag and then went to Estes Park Brewery for some food and brews. Both were great! We then headed to RMNP but found out there that Trail Ridge Road was closed due to icing. We turned back and took 7 to 72 through Nederland and BlackHawk to 70 and back.

It seemed that a lot of the leaves in that area had already been blown off the trees by two days of high winds. It was still a great route and still very beautiful. Thanks again, all!