PDA

View Full Version : Attempt to limit free speech

rforsythe
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 04:34 PM
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20111001/00002316160/ny-state-senators-say-weve-got-too-much-free-speech-introduce-bill-to-fix-that.shtml

http://www.nysenate.gov/files/pdfs/final%20cyberbullying_report_september_2011.pdf

It more or less states that you're guilty of a crime if you tell someone to fuck off on an online forum. If telling them to fuck off results in them snapping and offing themselves, you are then guilty of 2nd-degree manslaughter. And your freedom of speech becomes a privilege that can be revoked.

Not that this will ever pass, but the sheer fact that congresstards are even attempting it should scare you.

CYCLE_MONKEY
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 04:51 PM
Be afraid, be VERY afraid........

Ghost
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 08:45 PM
Fuck Off & DIAF.

The GECCO
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 09:01 PM
I find this whole thread very offensive....

Wrider
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 10:55 PM
I find this whole thread very offensive....

Haha you're all going to jail! They're gonna bum-pound you!!!!!! Oh wait, I hope I didn't offend you guys, I don't wanna be in there with you!

Ezzzzy1
Tue Oct 4th, 2011, 11:55 PM
The internet should die and people should walk around with guns on their hips. Enough said.

madvlad
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Lol well can't say I didn't see this coming... Along with many more stupid laws

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Fuck you. Go kill yourself.

In Before The Law. :D

Devaclis
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 07:54 AM
People are pussies. The ones without the sack to man up and deal with life should all run off a cliff together. Save your problems for the afterlife. No one alive wants to hear about it.

Kiss my black ass.

BC14
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Haha, someone didn't get hugged as a child.... These useless politicians need to just piss off.

Snowman
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Be afraid, be VERY afraid........You should, I lost count how many times you have told your Ex to F-off in this forum.. :)

MetaLord 9
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 10:57 AM
^^yeah but just like in his marriage, she never listens

stitch
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 01:52 PM
I'd like to weigh in here on this. I think there is some merit to this. Not a lot mind you but there is a need for something. I say this as someone who is a victim of so called "Cyber bullying" and Stalking. It continues to this day and I have zero recourse under the law.

I worked for a short time for a small company who had an owner who is BATSHIT crazy. A true sociopath on the level of Hitler himself. When I quit over the owners antics (Real life and death shit) and wound up being a witness for a federal investigation he started spreading some really nasty rumors about me. Just to be vindictive and destroy any credibility I had. Absolutely disgusting and wholly untrue stuff. Worst part is it was easy for people to find out the truth about it with a few minutes on Google. Instead people chose to believe the claims this guy was saying or just avoid the "Drama". He's a "Establish business owner" and I am a "nobody". Who are they going to believe.

The financial strain on me nearly sent me to bankruptcy (may still do so). Almost cost me my family and I will probably never get a job in an extremely small industry I spent over $150,000 in getting an education which qualified me for the highly technical work I was doing. Was at the top of my classes and highly respected in the field. Now I am a pariah.

Since no laws exist against someone making up shit on the Internet or in person there is nothing I can do. I spoke with the Police. They will not get involved. I spoke with a number of attorneys. They don't think they guy has any money to make this a worthwhile case. So I am stuck with $150,000 in loans no prospects for a job in the industry I chose, where there is a demand for my skills. Yet I face bankruptcy, homelessness and you can't imagine the shame from the absolute bullshit this jerk tells people about me every day.

It isn't just me that faces these sorts of slanderous statements being thrown around. There are a number of this jerks competitors who face similar issues. One whose company lost millions in revenue because of this jerk. All complete bullshit yet he continues to get away with it because no laws exists to stop him. Sticks and stones and all that rot. Yes eventually it may catch up with him but today he gets away with it because he can. Because he is everyone's best friend and just looking out for their well being.

Yes my particular situation is extreme and rare. I don't think laws are needed because someone calls someone else a fag because they like Kawasaki's. But just like the difference between throwing a wad of paper at someone or throwing a fist at them. One is assault while the other is just horseplay. We may need something to control the difference in speech when it reaches the level of actual harm.

I am a disabled Vet of the Gulf War. I am conservative and a strong defender of the Constitution as it stands today. A "Gun nut", a Fox news fan, and I even watch Glenn Beck. I am as anti nanny state as they come, but I think given what I had to go though, there might be some merit to some sort of laws against this sort of behavior. I'd love to allow "ALL" speech to be free but sometimes people just don't have the intelligence to know the difference between should and could. Without a law to correct this behavior I am forced with breaking the law by taking things into my own hands as my only solution. Is that what we really want in extreme situations?

What does the solution look like? Is there a middle ground? I don't know but I do know some people need to be held accountable for their actions. There is a reason it is illegal to shout fire in a crowed movie theater. At the moment little exists to protect one from another's careless use of freedom of speech. I think a review of some sort of the laws on the books today is well within order.

rforsythe
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Are there not laws against slander and defamation of character? Why can't you seek recourse under that? Others have. I see where you're coming from, but this proposal as it's written is just wrong.

Ezzzzy1
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 06:42 PM
People are pussies. The ones without the sack to man up and deal with life should all run off a cliff together. Save your problems for the afterlife. No one alive wants to hear about it.

Kiss my black ass.

Same goes for assholes... Id say the "pussy" is really the person telling people to fuck off online.

Shea
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Same goes for assholes... Id say the "pussy" is really the person telling people to fuck off online.

He'd be more then happy to tell you to your face if that would make you feel better :)

"Proponents of a more refined First Amendment argue that this freedom should be treated not as a right but as a privilege — a special entitlement granted by the state on a conditional basis that can be revoked if it is ever abused or maltreated."

So now rights are not inherent in the very being of a citizen (aka "endowed by their creator") but merely granted by the state? Yeah... if this doesn't send chills down your spin I don't know what will.

Very typical of those who believe that your average citizen is simply too stupid to live their lives "right" and need to be controlled/governed/ruled. Last time I checked the whole reason for this country being founded was to allow man to rule themselves. Guess the American experiment failed...

Ezzzzy1
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 04:07 PM
He'd be more then happy to tell you to your face if that would make you feel better :)

"Proponents of a more refined First Amendment argue that this freedom should be treated not as a right but as a privilege — a special entitlement granted by the state on a conditional basis that can be revoked if it is ever abused or maltreated."

So now rights are not inherent in the very being of a citizen (aka "endowed by their creator") but merely granted by the state? Yeah... if this doesn't send chills down your spin I don't know what will.

Very typical of those who believe that your average citizen is simply too stupid to live their lives "right" and need to be controlled/governed/ruled. Last time I checked the whole reason for this country being founded was to allow man to rule themselves. Guess the American experiment failed...

That would be fun, and it would make me feel a lot better...

Are you serious? You think I was calling Devaclis out? I agree with what Devaclis said but also think that part of the problem are the people being complete assholes (ie "He'd be more then happy to tell you to your face if that would make you feel better :)") and I fucking hate assholes :)

:bigeyes: