PDA

View Full Version : Fast Blinker?

Quick636
Wed Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:20 PM
I put on some LP flushmounts today, but now my blinkers are really fast. Is there a reason for this? I checked my polarity, but actually switching polarity made absolutely no difference.

Not that I really care that much, but was just wondering if anyone knew why.

Titus
Wed Sep 3rd, 2003, 11:52 PM
CHINKBLINK!

::ducks behind bar::

Anonymous
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 12:52 AM
Leave it dude! It's BLING BLING!! :lol:

Quick636
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 08:50 AM
No, seriously... :321:

Hoopty
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 08:56 AM
Same thing happened with my bike when I changed to LP blinkers. It blinks normal for a second, then goes fast. Something about a wrong resistor or something I think :? , don't ask me though I know jack shit about electronics. Never had any problems with it though, it just blinks fast.

Anonymous
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 09:16 AM
I know this isn't the correct terminology, but hopefully this will clarify things:

Turn signals go on and off because a resistor (or something like that) heats up (due to the power drawn by the bulbs), disconects, then resets itself. The resistor that comes with the bike is expecting the load that is drawn by the 2 OEM bulbs. If you remove one of the bulbs (or it burns out), that load has changed, and thus the turn signal flashes faster. If you replace the turn signals with a bulb that draws less power, the same thing will happen.

Hope this helps.

Boy Scout
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 09:23 AM
I believe there have been a couple of posts on here in the past about similar issues. I don't recall what the fix was, but try searching for things like blink, flash, turn, signal, etc. You'll probably run across them.

RodeRash
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 09:58 AM
The wattage of the bulbs is less than stock, so they blink faster. You need to add more resistance by either getting different light bulbs, or adding a resister (or another light bulb) to the wiring circut.
Or, just let it blink faster.

mikesf4i
Thu Sep 4th, 2003, 09:49 PM
The thing that gets heated up is a bi-metal strip.(two different types of metal stuck together in a strip form) When you pass current through it the two different metals heat up. Since they are different metals they expand at different rates and the strip flexes and no longer touches another contact in the flasher assembly. You could try to change to a heavy duty flasher assembly (used for trailer lights) or someone makes a heavy duty flasher with a relay that would flash at a set rate regardless of load. Try Checker or NAPA

-gary
Fri Sep 12th, 2003, 09:05 AM
Get a two wire electronic flasher at any auto parts store. About $8. No need to get any kind of heavy-duty flasher.

It's an EL-12c at AutoZone last I checked.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Sep 12th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Leave it, it's not worth the hassle. The guys are right, it's just drawing less power so it flashed quicker. It's probably safer being that other drivers will notice it easier.

-gary
Fri Sep 12th, 2003, 09:21 AM
No trouble. Pop the seat and replace the old one.

It's not safer, as the blink rate is twice as fast as normal. Incandescent bulbs require that time to heat up and put out their full brightness and LED's are much harder to see at that rate.

Kim-n-Dean
Fri Sep 12th, 2003, 11:09 AM
It's not safer, as the blink rate is twice as fast as normal.

I guess every case is different. Mine, now flash at, what I consider, the perfect rate and are extremely bright. I only replaced my rear though. The fronts are next. I guess I'll find out...