PDA

View Full Version : Fender eliminators

Hobbitual
Thu Jun 9th, 2005, 10:03 PM
Okay, I'm looking for some parts for a bike I'm buying and wondering if this Fender Eliminator is worth getting. It looks kinda cool I guess but does it hurt the bike at all and does it help any any way besides looks?? I would love some input on this before I spend the cassh on something I might not need. Thanks!!

~Barn~
Thu Jun 9th, 2005, 10:25 PM
I don't mean to sound like a jerk, but that question seems like a bit of a put-on, from a guy who's riden the three different streetbikes in your sig.

Are you seriously wondering if a fender eliminator has any performance benefits or detriments?

Just kinda makes me chuckle. Especially coming from a fellow 28 year old with 3 bikes worth of experience.

"I would love some input on this before I spend the cassh (sic) on something I might not need."

:wtf:

Hobbitual
Fri Jun 10th, 2005, 05:53 PM
Well, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but.....

The Vulcan was a cruiser so I didn't really need to look into fender eliminators, but I guess you knew that.

The Suzuki was like 20 years old and I really didn't care about fixing it up.

And I just bought the CBR which technically speaking, is the first bike I've had which I could actually modify into my own. So I am now trying to learn more about it. You could say I spent my years learning HOW to ride before I learn how to make the bike look cool. But I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.....

:roll:

Jenny
Sat Jun 11th, 2005, 06:37 PM
It will basically clean up the rear of the bike. Stock fenders & tail lights are generally huge and butt ugly.

Depending on the kit, it may or may not put the plate in an optimal place for viewing by others (cops) and that is a possible issue. I would say you'll most likely be fine with it though.

~Barn~
Sun Jun 12th, 2005, 08:04 PM
Well, I don't mean to sound like a jerk but.....

The Vulcan was a cruiser so I didn't really need to look into fender eliminators, but I guess you knew that.

The Suzuki was like 20 years old and I really didn't care about fixing it up.

And I just bought the CBR which technically speaking, is the first bike I've had which I could actually modify into my own. So I am now trying to learn more about it. You could say I spent my years learning HOW to ride before I learn how to make the bike look cool. But I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.....

:roll:

:lol:

You had me at "hello"!

Good luck with your mods though.

And to answer your question, No.... no you don't "need" a fender eliminator. Nor do you need exhausts or air-filters, or neon lights or stickers.

Tires, fluids, brakes, and chains come to mind, but definitely not fender eliminators and flushmount blinkers. I hope this helps you spend your cash accordingly.

Khalid 171
Sun Jun 12th, 2005, 08:23 PM
I always take off my huge out of place mud flap but that is just me. You don't have to buy a fender eliminator kit (~$30) Just go down to Home Depot and get yourself a couple of peices of aluminum and some screws and make one for under a dollar. :up:

Hobbitual
Mon Jun 13th, 2005, 10:47 AM
Errr, I didn't even know what a fender eliminator was, let alone the knowledge to go make one myself!! lol But thanks. Well, according to the posts I'm gonna say it's an uneccessary expense. My friends told me to get one but it really doesn't seem to do anything really. I DO want to get all the damn dedals and crap off though. I was told you can use a hair dryer and those come off. I don't though, they look pretty permanent to me. But I hate the purple and blue neon eighties stripes on this thing.

Is there like a book or something I can get for bike mods? OR do you just learn as you go kinda thing?? thanks!!

oak

~Barn~
Mon Jun 13th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Just hang around the sportbiking scene awhile.

Eventually you will see (or hear about) most every mod in the book.

And as an FYI, be careful removing stickers from things, especially your windscreen.

A lot of cleaner/degreaser products that one might think to use, will permanently tarnish the clear plastic screens, and aren't that great for paint, either.

Jenny
Mon Jun 13th, 2005, 10:54 PM
I took off the graphics from my EX500 using a hair dryer. Since it was an older bike, the paint was brighter where the vinyl came off. Couldn't get the stuff off the tank though, as it was clearcoated. :/ Worked pretty well, but needed to use some sticky remover afterwards.

Hobbitual
Tue Jun 14th, 2005, 05:47 PM
MMMM, something to think about. Didn't think about the paint being brighter underneath. I'll do a little test piece first. And I'll be sure to leave the windshield alone!!! thanks guys, you've been a great help!

Hobbitual
Mon Jun 20th, 2005, 07:19 PM
Okay, so I thought this was funny, in a sad sort of way....

So I took all the decals off as per instructed with the hair dryer. That part was easy, I soent the next four hours trying to get the damn glue off. I used Goof-Off but was later told I should have used brake cleaner. But finally, it's done!!! woohoo. Now it's all black except the front fairing which is still kinda purple. But it's a start. I talked to some guy at Performance Auto and he showed me how to do the fender elimator stuff so now that's next. Here's the funny part.... I got some paint on my helmet on accident and used the Goof-Off to clean it up, seeing as how it was sitting right there. Low and behold it eats up my face shield!!! Yes, I am now a certified idiot. So I try to buy a new shield for it and find out it's pretty much impossible to find since it's an older helmet made buy a compnay that isn't even around. So I end having to buy a brand new 200 helmet just because I used Goof-Off on my damn face shield. Ouch.

So that's my story. Hope it entertained.

panther
Thu Jun 23rd, 2005, 12:01 AM
Thanks for the entertainment, it does suck about your face shield, we all do dumb things, but now we all know, so thanks for doing that for us, lol

Mista Black
Thu Jun 23rd, 2005, 06:34 AM
Tires, fluids, brakes, and chains come to mind...

:wtf: chains?? what chains?? i dont need no stinkin' chain!! :lol:

i do want a fender elim kit for my bike though... as stated it just cleans things up a bit. i've heard if you're a heavy rain rider you might experience more spray coming up and hitting you in the back with the smaller "fender" though.

Hobbitual
Thu Jun 23rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Ya, Iwas wonderng abou the rain and dirt flying up too. But it's worth it to get rid of all that junk back there. I actually did it myself yesterday. I just cut all that crap off then put the liscence plate up higher and put some flush mounted lights on the side for blinkers. Looks great and only cost me 10 bucks for the lights. It's illegal now casue I have no light for the liscence plate but I doubt I'll get pulled over for that. More likely get a ticket for the 120 miles an hour I seem to keep going on "accident".

Now I just need a paint job and a new pipe. I'm gettin there!

Oh, the new helmet I bought is a new Scorpion and I thought I'd say that these helmets rock. It was cheap compared to all the others at only 130 and it is far better in quality. If anyone needs a new helmet these are great. And they're a new compny sort of so they're pretty cheap. I love it, it's like riding in a cadillac! lol

Mista Black
Thu Jun 23rd, 2005, 05:15 PM
It's illegal now casue I have no light for the liscence plate but I doubt I'll get pulled over for that. More likely get a ticket for the 120 miles an hour I seem to keep going on "accident".

Pat... Sparky... sic him!! :lol:

glad you got it done for cheap and like it... :yes: :up:

Peanut
Fri Jun 24th, 2005, 08:17 PM
Anybody have any pic's of thier homemade kit?