PDA

View Full Version : A good Maibock / Helles Bock?

green_zx7r
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 03:25 PM
You guys are beer experts right? :)

Can anyone recommend me a good Maibock or Helles Bock that can be bought in-state?

I loved the Blonde Bock from Gordon Biersch, but due to lack of popularity, they went from regularly served, to seasonal, and now the brew master tells me that they are discontinuing it for good in Colorado... :(

I could get them shipped from Cali, but we are talking $24/6-pack...

Would love to see if there's something else in the maibock/Helles Bock category that I could switch to.

Thanks in advance.

Yusuke

Sean
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 03:51 PM
:think:

I'll have to ask one of my friends. The only maibock I've had in Colorado is from a home brewer. It was okay. Although, I haven't really sought one out either. Have you checked with Total Beverage on Sheridan/36?

Nooch
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Most are really only available at brewpubs. You MIGHT still be able to find Heller Hound by Flying Dog at a bigger liquor store, but I think its a spring seasonal.

green_zx7r
Wed Oct 5th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys.
I also heard Rogue Dead Guy Ale is a good one to try.

Now I've got something to toast to. Steve Jobs... :(

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 07:35 AM
I didn't realize that Rogue Dead Guy was a maibock. That's a great beer, I'd def recommend trying one.

I found list of beers, but most of them seem to be very small brewery's or seasonal. Looks like Fort Collins Brewery has/had a couple.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/33/?start=0

tecknojoe
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 07:39 AM
Dead Guy is OMNOM

green_zx7r
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Tried the Dead Guy Ale from Rogue yesterday. As tecknojoe says, it was OMNOM, and might I add, NOM NOM NOM.

It was a very nice Helles bock for sure, and very similar to the Blonde Bock from GB. Quite honestly, it was slightly better... Blonde Bock had a bit too much bitterness at the end of each sip. Dead Guy Ale had a very crisp clean finish per sip.

I'll stick to this until May 2012 rolls around so I can stock on other seasonal Maibock / Helles Bocks!

green_zx7r
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:00 PM
I didn't realize that Rogue Dead Guy was a maibock. That's a great beer, I'd def recommend trying one.

I found list of beers, but most of them seem to be very small brewery's or seasonal. Looks like Fort Collins Brewery has/had a couple.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/style/33/?start=0

Thanks Sean, but most of what I researched were seasonal, and not made year round... So Dead Guy is it for now!

Nooch
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:12 PM
Not sure if this will help at all, but here's the winners for the Bock category at the 2011 Great American Beer Festival. No idea about local availability though.

Category: 40 Bock - 34 Entries

Gold: Troegenator, Tröegs Brewing Co., Harrisburg, PA
Silver: PrePro Bock, Coors Archive Brewery, Golden, CO
Bronze: Maibock, Stewart’s Brewing Co., Bear, DE

And if its relevant at all, here's the winners for the Doppelbock/Eisbock category.

Category: 41 German-Style Doppelbock or Eisbock - 22 Entries

Gold: Autumnal Fire, Capital Brewery Co., Middleton, WI
Silver: St. Nik Brewer’s Reserve, Pennsylvania Brewing Co., Pittsburgh, PA
Bronze: Eisphyre, Capital Brewery Co., Middleton, WI

green_zx7r
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 09:45 PM
Not sure if this will help at all, but here's the winners for the Bock category at the 2011 Great American Beer Festival. No idea about local availability though.

Category: 40 Bock - 34 Entries

Gold: Troegenator, Tröegs Brewing Co., Harrisburg, PA
Silver: PrePro Bock, Coors Archive Brewery, Golden, CO
Bronze: Maibock, Stewart’s Brewing Co., Bear, DE

And if its relevant at all, here's the winners for the Doppelbock/Eisbock category.

Category: 41 German-Style Doppelbock or Eisbock - 22 Entries

Gold: Autumnal Fire, Capital Brewery Co., Middleton, WI
Silver: St. Nik Brewer’s Reserve, Pennsylvania Brewing Co., Pittsburgh, PA
Bronze: Eisphyre, Capital Brewery Co., Middleton, WI

Thanks. Again, unfortunately most are either too small or local to see here in Colorado or seasonal.

I'll just have to stock up when April/May rolls around!

On a side note, anyone road tripping to Cali? If so, I'll give ya some cash for a couple of cases of GB Blonde Bock to bring back to Colorado!!!