PDA

View Full Version : Drove by Second Creek

Jmetz
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 10:17 AM
I shed a tear. The spectator fence still stands. It made me sad, I had a lot of fun there and reminded me of a lot of people I don't see or talk to anymore... :(

rybo
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I drove by there a few weeks ago on an airport run. I have great memories of that track, and some not so good. I lost my spleen there in 2002 in the Kamakazi corner running clockwise (just before getting to the rats nest).

Had some great races there, had some great times there.

s

Filo
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:06 AM
[QUOTE=rybo;617041I lost my spleen there in 2002
s[/QUOTE]

DUDE! I found that spleen. It has been sitting in my tool box since 2002. I figured it looked important and someone would come asking for it. Drop by after work and we can put it back in.

King Nothing
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:13 AM
DUDE! I found that spleen. It has been sitting in my tool box since 2002. I figured it looked important and someone would come asking for it. Drop by after work and we can put it back in.:pointlaugh:

hcr25
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:14 AM
In 16 years of racing and all the crashes I have had, the only two abulance rides from a race track I have had were from second creek. I do have good memories from there as well but racing the Pikes Peak hill climb next year on my 600 will be just about as safe.

rybo
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:15 AM
DUDE! I found that spleen. It has been sitting in my tool box since 2002. I figured it looked important and someone would come asking for it. Drop by after work and we can put it back in.

Awesome! I had a zipper installed on my abdomen in case anyone located it. I asked the doctors at the hospital if I could have the remains of it and they said there were none. I'm so glad to know where it is!

asp_125
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:16 AM
My first track day was at 2nd Creek. :( Been past there a few times since it closed. Same with Mountain View in Mead. Sad to see small tracks overgrown with weeds and cracking pavement. OTOH, they look SO narrow compared to HPR and Pueblo!

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Closed before I got into track days. :(
Where is/was it?

asp_125
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:27 AM
Closed before I got into track days. :(
Where is/was it?

88th just west of Tower Rd, by DIA http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Buckley+rd+%26+88th+ave,+commerce+city,+co&hl=en&ll=39.856816,-104.79073&spn=0.009817,0.017831&sll=39.858249,-104.789314&sspn=0.009422,0.017831&vpsrc=6&hnear=E+88th+Ave+%26+Buckley+Rd,+Commerce+City,+Ad ams,+Colorado+80022&t=h&z=16

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:34 AM
Looks fun.

asp_125
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:37 AM
MRA back in the heyday of 2nd creek.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRFh_WEZyuM

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Where is/was it?

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=second+creek+raceway&hl=en&ll=39.859048,-104.788402&spn=0.007116,0.013121&sll=40.014986,-105.270546&sspn=0.454365,0.839767&vpsrc=6&hq=second+creek+raceway&t=h&z=17

asp_125
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Hah! Look what I found. CSC track day in 2005. http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4631325750028642694

salsashark
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:46 AM
I remember a grudge race between Dysco and Hoopty during lunch... I think that was the last time I was out at Second Creek.

Jmetz
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Hoopty got pretty damn fast on that track.

rybo
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 12:03 PM
I did my first ever trackday at 2nd creek.

Sportbike Tracktime in conjunction with Aprilia was hosting an event there. They had some Kiwi who'd just won the Aprilia RS250 cup as their lead instructor. This was the first time I met Aaron Clark.

I had just gotten my Ducati 748 streetbike, a dream come true. It had 602 miles on it when I took it for it's first trackday. Fresh shiny leathers, fresh shiny bike and a beautiful day. We ran the course clockwise that day and they had aprilia demos that we could take on the track behind Aaron if we wanted.

A bunch of the local "fast guys" came out to play and I remember Aaron running into T1 totally on the boil, backing the bike in and rocketing out. It was the first time I'd ever seen someone do that in real life and I thought he was crashing for sure. Lap after lap...impressive.

I was hooked. I went home that night and started shopping for my first racebike. I found it a few days later, a 1988 FZR400. Hooked. Now almost 10 years later I'm still hooked.

I will always have fond memories of my early days racing and doing trackdays at SCR.

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 12:19 PM
....itsa a little rough now but easy on a DS 8):think:

:twisted:

Bueller
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 12:35 PM
I remember a grudge race between Dysco and Hoopty during lunch... I think that was the last time I was out at Second Creek.

I believe that was Dysco and Ralph.
Crashing at that track saved my life. I highsided my shit to the moon and when I came to in the ER at Denver Health the told me they spotted a small mass on my left kidney, turned out to be a rare cancer that usually has no symptoms until it is too late.

salsashark
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 01:20 PM
^^ Was it Ralph?

All I remember was Dysco cutting across the infield, then dragging his bike across the finish line. But I could have sworn it was hoopty.

rforsythe
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Nah, the grudge match was Dysco and I. He had to wear a shirt the rest of the day saying he lost to me and was my bitch... :lol:

Glad to see I'm not the only one who has been pondering a little less-than-approved DS time at that place. :twisted:

asp_125
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Glad to see I'm not the only one who has been pondering a little less-than-approved DS time at that place. :twisted:

Hmm... :think: :twisted: Who owns it now? It would be a fun clandestine Supermoto track the way it is.

dirkterrell
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM

I could see taking the big red pig out there...

salsashark
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Nah, the grudge match was Dysco and I. He had to wear a shirt the rest of the day saying he lost to me and was my bitch... :lol:

Well then... I stand corrected.

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 02:39 PM
CSC Illegal Activity Day
"Now complete with arts and crafts time"
:doublefinger:

I know a couple others that would go too. My bike has so much torque, it would scare the shit out of me on the track. Comming home last night Angela and I were racing (she was in the 09 WRX) and it was too fun. I wound up spinning my back tire (Mefo Super Explorer) through the entire corner from 120th to sheridan and half way into the far lane. :rock:

Young Luke
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 03:06 PM
Crashing at that track saved my life. I highsided my shit to the moon and when I came to in the ER at Denver Health the told me they spotted a small mass on my left kidney, turned out to be a rare cancer that usually has no symptoms until it is too late.

Wondering if this was the highside I witnessed you doing. I think my eyes were as wide as silver dollars because it was like my second time out or something and I had never seen a highside. Thanks for that demonstration. And thanks for being OK!

In any case SCR holds a few firsts for me. My first track day, my first track crash, my first thought of "I'll just make it a track bike now".... Wife to be was there when I crashed that R6. She didn't find it so funny when Track Bob laughed and said "Ahh, its just race prep!" :D

swademaster
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 03:20 PM
I go by there quite a few times each year. It is also where I did my first track day. Now every time I go by I think that I need to take Blake out there and let him tide the 50 around for a few laps.

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 04:06 PM
So this track was run both clockwise and counter clockwise? Did they race it both ways? It's to bad that more tracks aren't designed like that. I wonder why? I assume at HPR, if you ran it counter clockwise, the exit of what is now t.2 going to t.1 would be an issue.

GuitarX
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Yep, they ran it both ways. I crashed in the rat's nest and banged my head real good going counter clockwise lol. That's where I had my first track day as well. It was with Reg Pridmore's CLASS. Changed my life! :-)

UglyDogRacing
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 04:31 PM
So this track was run both clockwise and counter clockwise? Did they race it both ways? It's to bad that more tracks aren't designed like that. I wonder why? I assume at HPR, if you ran it counter clockwise, the exit of what is now t.2 going to t.1 would be an issue.

Bigger issue is the placement of the corner worker stations in a few of the turns being directly in the impact zone of run counter-clockwise.

Foolds
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
Wow that Track would have been 15 min from my house =(

Sean
Thu Oct 6th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Bigger issue is the placement of the corner worker stations in a few of the turns being directly in the impact zone of run counter-clockwise.That's a pretty good reason. It's to bad they can't make the stations somewhat movable. Say with a fork lift or something? I bet HPR would be fun backwards.

Spiderman
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 01:48 PM
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/Funny/SpeedBumpClubApplications.jpg

First applicant(?) - Me
http://a2.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/113/fa9c15e56f804b9aa9a52f254f096a1d/l.jpg

pannetron
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 05:29 PM
Cool track, taking a riding school there on my GS1100EZ in 1982 got me into racing w/ the MRA for a number of years, we all shed a tear when it closed... even though the run-off areas SUCKED! But it was still better than the safety boulders at Woody Creek...

longrider
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Cool track, taking a riding school there on my GS1100EZ in 1982 got me into racing w/ the MRA for a number of years, we all shed a tear when it closed... even though the run-off areas SUCKED! But it was still better than the safety boulders at Woody Creek...

Great to see somebody else remembers the safety boulders... :) Fortunately I never encountered any of them

The GECCO
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 09:34 AM

When you design a track with the intent of running it both directions you inevitably end up with two mediocre tracks...

BOOMER
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Man what a blessing..!

spideyrdr
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Well before I was thinking of racing I was a spectator out at Second Creek. It planted a bug that took a long time to hatch but it was the first time I went "I could really love doing that!"