PDA

View Full Version : Steve Farson's new book - The Complete Guide to Motorcycling Colorado

UglyDogRacing
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Just released about 3 weeks ago by local rider and CSC member Steve Farson - http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-Motorcycling-Colorado-Definitive/dp/1884313922/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318008584&sr=8-1

dirkterrell
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 12:13 PM
I'm planning to do a review when I get a little time. The short of it is that this book awesome.

aerofaze
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Looks like another great book for the library. The 8 reviews on Amazon (as of today) are glowing.

But I think I'll buy the book on B&N (http://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/steve-farson?keyword=steve+farson&store=allproducts) since I have a gift card...

Nice work, sfarson!

MetaLord 9
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 01:53 PM
Badass!

Scatterbrain
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I'll have to check that out. Thanks for passing that on!

cptschlongenheimer
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 04:11 PM
I will be ordering this but...
A kindle version would be super slick.

Clovis
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 04:42 PM
That's one book I wouldn't mind doing "research" on :)

TFOGGuys
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 05:01 PM
Most of the people that left their real names in the reviews on Amazon are good customers of mine...

I may have to get Steve's book as well...

CYCLE_MONKEY
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 05:16 PM
I'll just talk to Da Ninja for free!:D

Looks like a good read though. Might have to read it some day....after I finish my latest Motocourse and Autocourse annuals.

asp_125
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Reading material for the snow days. :up:

Concabar
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 06:11 PM
I had the pleasures of meeting him/riding with him on a few occasion, and I will definitely will be purchasing his book.

Sleev
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 06:59 PM
niiiice

BC14
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 07:54 PM
:up:

Matty
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 08:17 PM
awesome... Steve is an awesome guy with some really really nice toys!

bornwildnfree
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 08:20 AM
OOhhh sweet

sfarson
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I will be ordering this but...
A kindle version would be super slick.

Hey all, thanks. And enjoy. It's a comprehensive thing. I won't blab on about it here, but can mention something relevant to this community... if you read between the lines, and note the attitude, you will see a bias towards sporting fun, with an approach that the road/ride is the destination first.

Would mention the publisher and I might develop a Kindle/e-book version someday. Prior to the new color Kindle Fire, a black & white rendition of this very colorful and vivid book, with the images, the history, the maps, etc.... well, it just wouldn't have been the same. That said, owners of the book are granted exclusive access to a massive unabridged web version of the book, with interactive features, links, more content, etc. Instructions note emailing rmridermail@gmail.com for access. So, there is a web option, and it is one book owners can access with their smartphone, tablet, laptop, PC, etc.

Anyway, a thank-you for the kind remarks.

Steve

Matrix
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Ordered mine today and looking forward to it coming in.

Bashed
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 03:50 PM
Hey all, thanks. And enjoy. It's a comprehensive thing. I won't blab on about it here, but can mention something relevant to this community... if you read between the lines, and note the attitude, you will see a bias towards sporting fun, with an approach that the road/ride is the destination first.

Would mention the publisher and I might develop a Kindle/e-book version someday. Prior to the new color Kindle Fire, a black & white rendition of this very colorful and vivid book, with the images, the history, the maps, etc.... well, it just wouldn't have been the same. That said, owners of the book are granted exclusive access to a massive unabridged web version of the book, with interactive features, links, more content, etc. Instructions note emailing rmridermail@gmail.com for access. So, there is a web option, and it is one book owners can access with their smartphone, tablet, laptop, PC, etc.

Anyway, a thank-you for the kind remarks.

Steve

Hey Steve,
Great work on the book. I had an oppertunity to do a quick look-see on my flight from El Paso back to Colorado this week. As I was soaring over the same roads mentioned in the book, looking out and seeing some of these roads, it gave me a nice warm and fuzzy. Very comprehensive with out being to technical to get boring. Short history tidbits of places and times long forgotten. One can tell this publication was well thought out, researched and then implimented in a size easy to throw into a tankbag for referance on the road.
Great work again Steve, but I have one question,
When can I get my copy signed by the author?
Bash

sfarson
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hey Mike, Thanks. Well, let's make a signing happen some time! First chance is tomorrow... I'm signing a copy someone is bringing to a Denver Euro ride - 9:15a or so at the Starbucks - Golden. Hope they remember... I'll be leaving a brisk Park County early in the morning to make it to Golden! Since this probably won't work for you, let's be sure to keep trying. Steve

FZRguy
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Hey Steve, any metro area book sellers stocking your book?

sfarson
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 07:46 AM
JD... Bookstores (Barnes, Tattered Cover, etc.) are beginning to put it on the shelves (Already have it online). Bike dealers all along the Front Range (and state for that matter) are somewhere between...

A. Selling out their first countertop display and are re-ordering (BMW of Denver)
B. Should still have some books left (Erico, RPM, Rocky Mtn H-D)
C. Have first order en route (Foothills BMW)
D. Are getting around to ordering (Fay Myers)

Given your location, call/check with the parts dept at RPM, Rocky, or Erico for the inventory status. To be sure, the above are just what I know about. Ex... I know G-Force Powersports on Colfax was enthused with the book, but I don't know the status. Oh, and if any of you want to help :), call Scott - Parts at Fay Myers and ask him if he has brought it in. He was going to, but the other day while getting a bike serviced, he hadn't gotten around to it yet.

longrider
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Steve, I talked to Scott (I work at Fay) and he sent the app into your publisher and we never heard back. I guess we need to start over, we definitely want the book

sfarson
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks much for following! I sent an email to key contacts at the publisher to give Scott a call. Together they can make things happen. Sorry about this.

Thanks again,

Steve

PunyJuney
Sat Oct 15th, 2011, 09:15 PM
Hey Steve, I just ordered one for Randy in GA as a thank you (and to coax the crew out west). We were at the bubbalicious yesterday. The Randarosa is something else!

sfarson
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 04:10 PM
Wow Juney... All the way to Georgia?! Have yet to peruse the pics from the event, but it sounds like it is annually a great and fun fling.

PunyJuney
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 06:43 PM
Wow Juney... All the way to Georgia?! Have yet to peruse the pics from the event, but it sounds like it is annually a great and fun fling.

We were in Atl on biz. thurs/fri anyway and just drove out to see it for myself. What a great group. A guy from NZ bought a bike, new, sight unseen just to ride with them. Lots of locals (like people from Florida or Mass.) trailered spare bikes out for other people to use. Not that Randy didn't have plenty of loaners. We must go next year and ride.

FZRguy
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 12:39 PM
Steve, got your book at RPM. I didn't expect 448 pages of detailed riding info., with lots of pics (love the then and now pics), all the classic CO paved rides (and a few I've missed), and DS rides too! Perfect reading fodder while I recover from knee surgery. Thanks for writing it.

sfarson
Sun Oct 30th, 2011, 06:24 PM
John... Appreciate the appraisal. Thanks and enjoy. May its fodder help, and virtually so, pass the time for a full recovery. http://www.farson.com/smiley/nod.gif

Steve

Sean
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 07:12 AM
Congrats on the book! Can't wait to check out the dual sport section. :up:

FZRguy
Mon Oct 31st, 2011, 02:09 PM
+1 on the DS routes. I gotta do that Chambers to Red Feathers and back to Rustic route.

FZRguy
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 02:33 AM
I’ve been studying this book like a freshman during finals week. I’ve ridden a lot of the roads in the book, but have missed just as many. Gonna correct that next year. The anticipation is a real pain in the….knee! :lol: The facts about each ride and the history tidbits are just great. I’m really enjoying your book, Steve.

dirkterrell
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I have finally gotten around to reading this book. If you are familiar with the Peterson Field Guides (http://www.houghtonmifflinbooks.com/peterson/) (e.g. on birds, geology, the night sky, etc), this is the guide for motorcycle rides in Colorado. The book lists a plethora of rides all over the state, describing what you'll find, things to watch out for, where to get gas on rides where the stations are far apart, etc. He also list ways of putting multiple rides together for multi-day trips to see the incredible variety of scenery this state.

If you've ever had the pleasure of meeting Steve, you instantly know that this guy lives and loves to ride. From the abundant food analogies in the book it's clear that he also loves to eat. :lol: As I've discovered in riding this state, there is a lot to be seen by leaving the asphalt and taking off down dirt roads and trails on a dual sport. I was happy to see descriptions of these types of rides. And if you don't have a dual sport, Steve points out the dirt road rides that can be done on a street bike.

When I take off on long rides I pack up some water, munchies, first aid kit, etc. From now on, this book will be along for the ride too. Steve has done an incredible amount of on-the-bike research and documented it for the rest of us to enjoy. If you love to ride in this state, you need to have a copy of this book.

sfarson
Sat Nov 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM
John, Dirk... Thanks much. Not taken for granted. Would be good to connect so I could sign, and with exaggeration write something nice about you inside the cover. http://www.farson.com/smiley/lol.gif

Sean
Tue Nov 22nd, 2011, 08:33 AM
Just ordered this as a xmas present! Can't wait to steal it from them. :twisted:

Penadam
Tue Jan 24th, 2012, 01:30 PM
Just ordered last night. Pretty excited to learn about some great DS rides.

asp_125
Tue Jan 24th, 2012, 04:15 PM
*clicky* ordered. :up: It'll give me some routes to check into on the DS.

aerofaze
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 07:16 AM
Got the book as a Christmas present. Very thorough and informative, indeed, and no doubt it will be used well. Thanks, Steve!

JDK1962
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 11:47 AM
+1 on the book. Bought it for my son for Christmas, but have stolen it back. Can't wait to start trying these rides. I've already done a lot of them, but plan to use this book and become much more methodical about it. :-)

(Ride 143 was my 2011 in-state favorite ride, and Steve described it perfectly. Gorgeous road and there was no one on it!!!.)

sfarson
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Kind thoughts all.

JDK... I had to go grab the book to remind myself about #143! Ahhhh yes. Easy to be in a riding zone on this blissful, bending ribbon of road. Looking forward to entering the zone on it again this upcoming season. http://www.farson.com/smiley/nod.gif

CaptGoodvibes
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 11:31 PM
141 or 149?

sfarson
Wed Jan 25th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Very, very good guess. Top tier, first class riding roads, and not that #143 is better, but it sure is special.http://www.farson.com/smiley/nod.gif

Ninja2
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 12:10 PM
+1 on 134. I still need to order the book... .

Here a pic from last Fall of Routt Ntl Forest:
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/Ninjapic/DSCN8139.jpg

I think these were also taken on 134, but not 100% sure:
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/Ninjapic/DSCN8185.jpg

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/Ninjapic/DSCN8182.jpg

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 02:01 PM
I will be ordering the book as soon as my income stabilizes.

Wrider
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 02:14 PM
http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/Ninjapic/DSCN8185.jpg

Ninja, I'm gonna be a :leghump: and say that is one sexy ass you've got there... :applause:

Ninja2
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks, Wrider. Wait till you see the rest of my (motorcycle's) body. ;)

http://i1106.photobucket.com/albums/h378/Ninjapic/DSCN8180.jpg

Ninja2
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 03:56 PM
OK. But now back to the book!

sfarson
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 05:50 PM
+1 on 134. I still need to order the book...

Ninja II... For sure CO 134 over Gore Pass is a rider's road, but would mention Ride #143 in the book is the great Willow Creek Pass... CO 125.

But BTW, excellent pics. The last one with the road and fall foliage is of CO 134... given the angle of the sun, looks like an ascent of the eastern side of the pass. Luscious aspen everywhere there. The minimal to no shoulder is also a trademark of the east side of the pass.

http://rmridervideo.com/?cat=85

CaptGoodvibes
Thu Jan 26th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Oh yeah. That's a good one!

Ninja2
Fri Jan 27th, 2012, 06:48 AM
Excellent video, Steve. Thank you for sharing. Great choice of music, too.:up:
That is how I remember CO134 - smooth road and corners and very few to no cars.

OK. Now that you're throwing in route numbers, I really have to buy the book.

oh10raven
Tue Jan 31st, 2012, 12:57 PM
Picked up the book over lunch and can't put it down. Already have some new to me rides planned for the Spring.

asp_125
Mon Aug 27th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Bump...

If any of you are triple-A members, the latest issue has Steve's photo of the Tarryall Rd on pg 10, accompanying an article on several motorcycle routes.

sfarson
Tue Aug 28th, 2012, 04:41 PM
asp... You noticed some fine print on that image!

PurpleFox
Mon Oct 29th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Just another recommendation for this book....best motorcycling guide book I have found!