PDA

View Full Version : Cold Dirt Talk

TachPHD
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 11:12 PM
The cold weather's kicking in. Does this usually mean that people are done riding the trails until next season? I'm just getting into this whole scene and it feels like it's dying out over the weeks as we head into lower temperatures.

PhL0aTeR
Fri Oct 7th, 2011, 11:19 PM
trails are no different from street when it gets cold... some people dont mind it, most other people think its too cold. I like it for the same reasons i ride during the week... less traffic, less sweat.

Devaclis
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 07:14 AM
It means fewer dirt bikes on the trails but the quads are still there.

Bueller
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 07:26 AM
You can ride until the snow drifts too deep on the trails, but you can ride all winter at the tracks.

modette99
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 09:42 AM
I'll be checking out Mt Herman area tomorrow...got a bit of snow here in Monument.

asp_125
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Do you treat snow like sand? ie let the air out of the tires?

Matty
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 03:51 PM
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/dirt8.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/dirt28.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b71/housegroover/dirt30.jpg

Aracheon
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 12:00 AM
^^^ Awesome!

modette99
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Yep, can tell that is Mosquito Pass...LOL

As for letting air out...I'm the wrong guy to ask, I ride with the rear at 15-20psi (typically 15psi)...I don't play the letting air out game.

TachPHD
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Matty, awesome indeed and point proven. Now if I can just find the right friends who are willing.

modette99
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 01:58 PM
I just got back from taking the Jeep up Mt Herman and checking things out. Its melting fast, very fast. Way too many people out too...I'm thinking of going out on the bike tomorrow. Plan is Mt Herman, Rampart, Hotel Gulch, maybe hit a few side areas here and there...might go Trail Creek Rd, and then hit a few 717D and such trails.

Anyone want to join me? It will still be snowy in areas, as it was quit deep up in Rampart/Mt Herman area.

Devaclis
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 09:05 AM
I add more air when I ride on the snow/ice. I want to redice the flat footprint and increase the hard angles coming in contact with the surface. It's not a game. It's effective.

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I add more air when I ride on the snow/ice. I want to redice the flat footprint and increase the hard angles coming in contact with the surface. It's not a game. It's effective.

I add ice screws...lots of 'em...

Devaclis
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 09:15 AM
lol well, that helps too. Although it still won't get me over the hill on the Elephant ride. That just takes all kinds of crazy. You made it didn't you Jum? lol

Ricky
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM
I went on a ride last year in Rampart on like November 7th. It was 70 degrees, and dry as a bone. Not a single person out. Just gotta find the right day.

mastap07
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 09:24 AM
awesome pics matty. we still usually hit the tracks up in the winter, ya its a little colder but less people and you can wear more padding! (warmer clothes)

TFOGGuys
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 10:02 AM
lol well, that helps too. Although it still won't get me over the hill on the Elephant ride. That just takes all kinds of crazy. You made it didn't you Jum? lol

Nah, we made it just past the gate, then there was about a hundred yards of ass deep snow. I wasn't gonna carry a WR250 across that TWICE...

This year should be better, since the pass has been open most of the summer. Hopefully the cars will pack it down some, and we'll have ice on the North side. Flattracking the switchbacks on ice screws is a hoot...:devil2:

Dr. Joe Siphek
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 10:19 AM
I took the quad up to fall river res yesterday to do some afternoon fishin, i def wouldn't have made it on 2 wheels...quite a bit of snow in all the shady areas. If it stays nice it might melt off, but i doubt it, it was only 39 up there yesterday.

cdbouncer
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 03:01 PM
I'm looking forward to the tracks this fall/winter! :) Wonder how well boarding gear seconds as dirt gear...

TachPHD
Tue Oct 11th, 2011, 10:06 PM
Temperatures like this saturday, 79 deg... I will be heading up to Rampart for the first time. Very excited as I am new.

Devaclis
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM
If you go this weekend try to get there EARLY. It will be overrun by noon. Have fun out there.

DucWise
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 08:52 AM
+1 On going EARLY on the weekends. Although this time of year it's already beginning to thin out a bit as far as the crowds go. You can ride off-road practically year round in CO... if you know where to go :loop:

I may go up this weekend as well if you want/need a tour. The main thing (imo) to watch out for at Rampart is oncoming traffic. Just be aware.

:cheers:

modette99
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 09:27 AM
Yep its so busy I have never felt the need to go there, closes I have been was 650 from Rainbow that heads up. I know others that also stay away. Have fun, but be careful.

Bueller
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 11:42 AM
Early spring and now are the best times to ride up there, if it is a real nice day there will be some traffic but not nearly as bad as mid season.

TachPHD
Wed Oct 12th, 2011, 06:45 PM
We'll absolutely be leaving early Saturday morning. I'm going with a friends family so it should be interesting. They have been up there a few times so hopefully things will be smooth. Thanks for the heads up gents.

TachPHD
Sun Oct 16th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Great first time at Rampart.
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/tachphd/GOPR9376.jpg
http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc167/tachphd/GOPR9285.jpg

Scatterbrain
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Nice pic of the bikes in the snow. That's awesome!

Bueller
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Nice pic of the bikes in the snow. That's awesome!

They were supermotos taboot, that was a fun day until I got a flat on top of the next pass and had to ride it outgo where Diego could bring my truck to load it up.

Bueller
Mon Oct 17th, 2011, 10:50 AM
A little snow never hurt anyone.
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee291/rmsupermoto999/Dirtandcamp/CIMG1680.jpg

TachPHD
Thu Oct 20th, 2011, 11:09 PM
That's pretty crazy cool. I like that set-up.

kawasakirob
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 12:01 PM
Geez thats alot of snow. Looks like the trail crews will have their work cut out for them next spring. Nice pics. Makes me feel a tingling in my pants.

Bueller
Sat Oct 22nd, 2011, 03:34 PM
Geez thats alot of snow. Looks like the trail crews will have their work cut out for them next spring. Nice pics. Makes me feel a tingling in my pants.
That was a few years and many bikes ago, we was a little crazy back then.

TachPHD
Sun Oct 23rd, 2011, 08:01 PM
Bueller, how's the towing with that jeep?

kawasakirob
Wed Oct 26th, 2011, 03:32 PM
That was a few years and many bikes ago, we was a little crazy back then.
Aha! The wisdom of youth I see!