PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle Operator Safety Training fund in jeopardy!

THoward
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 09:25 AM
As motorcyclists there is an important issue happening at the Capitol November 7th and possibly beyond. I don't know how many of you are aware of the Motorcycle Operators Safety Training (MOST) program and how it works. For those of you that don't here's a quick lesson. The program was established in 1990. Motorcyclists worked with the Legislature to impose fees upon our registration and licensing to create a fund to assist with rider training in Colorado. We even went back to the Legislature in 2006 to raise the fees. Each of us pay an additional $4 on our registration every year and when we renew our driver's license we pay an additional $2. These fees are collected and put into the MOST program to offset training costs to CO residents and military. Every training company that works under MOST gets a subsidy per student to reduce the costs of the courses offered. The amount varies from year to year dependent upon how much money is in the fund. There have been some issues with the program. Until recently it was not well managed. ABATE tried to correct some issues Legislatively in 2010. The bill was ultimately defeated by competing training companies and a faction of motorcyclists. It did result in an Audit of the MOST program which was completed last week and heard by the Legislative Audit Committee. There were several recommendations (surprisingly familiar to what ABATE asked for in 2010) that should be implemented in the program. There was also a recommendation to close the program. The Audit Committee voted to draft a bill to close the program. ABATE's members have chosen to fight to preserve the MOST program with the other recommendations implemented and we need your help if you agree with us!! When the Audit Committee meets again November 7th they will vote whether to move the bill forward to shut down MOST or they will kill the bill. We'd like to convince them to kill the bill. There is still a chance that another Legislator will decide to introduce a bill in 2012. We will compose a plan of action if that happens. If you feel this program is valuable to Colorado and want to help us here is what you can do. Contact these Legislators and tell them we want to keep the MOST program.

This is our first group to hit hard and heavy with emails, phone calls...etc. Thank the ones that voted no on the draft legislation...still send them out talking points which I will cut and paste in another post (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42985)!! ABATE will be visiting them in person in the coming weeks.

Rep. Cindy Acree - 303-866-2944
E-mail: cindy.acree.house@state.co.us

Rep Deb Gardner - 303-866-2780 Thank you for the support
E-mail: deb.gardner.house@state.co.us

Rep Jim Kerr - 303-866-2939
E-mail: james.kerr.house@state.co.us

Rep Joe Miklosi - 303-866-2910
E-mail: joe@joemiklosi.com

Senator Scott Renfroe - 303-866-4451
E-mail: senatorrenfroe@gmail.com

Senator Steve King - 303-866-3077
E-mail: steve.king.senate@state.co.us

Senator Lucia Guzman - 303-866-4862 Thank you for the support
E-mail: lucia.guzman.senate@state.co.us

Senator Lois Tochtrop - 303-866-4863 Thank you for the support (she is a huge friend to motorcyclists)
E-mail: lotochtrop@aol.com

If you have more questions shoot me a pm or call me 303-789-3264. Thanks for your help. REMEMBER this is NOT a government imposed program, motorcyclists of Colorado imposed this program!! It's OUR money not the general taxpayers!!!

Ninja2
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Terry, thank you so much for all the time you spend on this and for bringing it to our attention. I definintely agree we need to keep MOST.

PunyJuney
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:14 PM
Rabea, would you be willing to draft a note with Terry that we riders can cut and paste into an email to forward to those that matter? I'm just not articulate enough to be taken seriously :)

Ninja2
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:17 PM
It looks like Terry may have already done so in a separate thread: http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=42985

Please let me know in case I am missing anything. I'm happy to assist, depending on when this is needed by.

PunyJuney
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:18 PM
perfect, thanks for the link!

Ninja2
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Thumbs up to ABATE and Terry!:up:

This is quite time consuming work that requires a lot of patience, and ABATE does a lot of good for the motorcycle community. I really need to get off my behind and sign up as a member. Sorry, Terry... .

PunyJuney
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:36 PM
I completely agree. Terry is a one person power house that relies on a network of volunteers and donations through tax deductible membership. She has helped many CSC riders and their families with funding for fallen riders. She gives us a 110% any time we ask. Thanks Terry for keeping Abate alive and strong in Colorado!!!

Clovis
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks for bringing this to our attention Terry!

We have quite a few motorcycle riders at Morgan Stanley Smith Barney. I'll bring this up at our next weekly meeting.

THoward
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Thank you for the kudos! I believe in our right to ride, safety, education, and helping out our fellow riders that's why I do what I do. But as June pointed out...I have volunteers that make all of this possible. Without my members ABATE is nothing. If any of you are available on November 7th (not sure of the time yet) I'd love to have you join me at the Capitol. I will post up the time when I know. We can't speak but I think it will help for Legislators to see that we as motorcyclists CARE about our rights and safety and we are watching them. A point to remember, for every 1 of us showing up it represents 200 people in the eyes of politicians.

Spiderman
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 01:34 PM
A point to remember, for every 1 of us showing up it represents 200 people in the eyes of politicians.
:shock: Wow! :applause:

Ninja2
Sat Oct 8th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Pls keep us posted on the time, Terry. Even though it falls on a Monday, I will try my best to be there. I will also contact some of the Representatives and Senators you mentioned.

DolphinRider
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Here is a Copy and Paste of a reply We got this morning from Scott::

"Ramon & Nickoline Uribe
Thank you for the email.* I agree there should be safety training and safety training will continue.* That is not what is the issue here.* The issue is government taking money from citizens as a fee and giving it to private companies (in the MOST program)*to provide a service (the safety training) that is occurring naturally in the private sector (there are private companies providing safety training at competitive prices).
I support eliminating the fees motorcycle owners pay to subsidize certain private businesses.* Look at the bigger picture.
There are private companies that provide safety training that the MOST program does without a government subsidy of $70.00 and at the SAME PRICE as the MOST program private companies.* Why do you support the government giving $70 of citizens money to a select few private companies that have competitors that provide the same training for the same price without the government subsidy?* That is not an idea America was founded upon.* This is what is destroying our country.
Ending the registration fee will not end the safety training.* Why would a company that provides the training now that does not get the taxpayer subsidy end their program?* They won't.* Ending the program will not increase costs for safety training.* There are companies providing training today at costs less that MOST providers without the subsidy.
There will be no loss of Federal Funds.* That is a lie that the department told the Audit Committee as an excuse to keep the program.* There will be no loss of Federal Funds.* There are other programs that do qualify for*Federal Matching dollars.
The Auditor stated*in their report, "No clear evidence exists to show that the MOST program subsidy is needed to keep motorcycle safety training affordable in Colorado."* They also found that, "The MOST program does not necessarily lower the cost of training for all students."
The Report of the Colorado State Auditor recommended the MOST program be discontinued. The Department of Transportation reported that they do not consider the MOST program to be effective.*
I support motorcycle safety training and ending the MOST program.
Scott"

Ninja2
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 10:54 AM
I'd be interested in Terry's response. I guess my question would be - if it is all private, the business needs to remain profitable with a Return On Investment. If less and less folks are taking less and less private MSF classes, and there are no subsidies, it is just a matter of time till a private company will discontinue offering that course, leaving us and new motorcyclists with less options to learn how to ride. Ultimately, more fatalities.

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 11:01 AM
What he isn't telling you is that the private companies that are not subsidized by MOST are the Harley Davidson dealerships that put on their own MSF Rider Courses and our subsidized by Harley Davidson. Outside of them, you'll find that just about all the other motorcycle training companies in Colorado are under MOST.
You can find the motorcycle training companies under MOST here - http://www.coloradodot.info/programs/live-to-ride/most-trainers.html It does list the prices and you will see that they all fall around $200 for the BRC. Ask him for a list of non-MOST motorcycle training companies and what they charge for the BRC and BRC2.

dirkterrell
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 11:18 AM
The Auditor stated*in their report, "No clear evidence exists to show that the MOST program subsidy is needed to keep motorcycle safety training affordable in Colorado."* They also found that, "The MOST program does not necessarily lower the cost of training for all students."
The Report of the Colorado State Auditor recommended the MOST program be discontinued. The Department of Transportation reported that they do not consider the MOST program to be effective.*

Where can we find these reports?

THoward
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Wow...do we have our work cut out for us. He really doesn't understand. There are NO private companies outside the MOST program providing training except Harley's Riders Edge. Their classes start at $300 bucks. Some MOST companies charge less than others because they don't have to pay rent for the training location and are owner operated. The government only imposed these fees after we as motorcyclists asked for them. The ones that charge less are still getting the subsidy. So if they lose the subsidy they will have to increase their prices or go out of business because the overhead is too high. No ending the program will not eliminate motorcycle training, it will however, increase the costs, it will end any safety campaigns we have because there is no money, and it will eliminate training in outlying areas of the state. This is fact because we are the only company that has mobile training units that go to Summit County, Ft Morgan, La Junta, Penrose, etc. We lose money on these classes. While we are a non profit it costs much more than the price we charge to go to these areas. Federal funds WILL be lost. Here is a link to the criteria for Federal funds for motorcycle safety:
http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/whatsup/TEA21/GrantMan/HTML/Sec_2010_MC.html

He's right, MOST doesn't discount the cost for ALL students because there are companies under the MOST program that do NOT pass the subsidy on to the student. They carpet their offices, tint the windows on class rooms, pay for stuff that should be the cost of doing business.
Sorry for the rant....but he has no clue. Is ABATE doing this to stay in business, absolutely not. With or without the program we will still be in business, but some of the smaller companies will not be able to operate. So less training will be available in Colorado.

Thank you Ramon for conatcting Senator Renfroe and posting the results.

THoward
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Where can we find these reports?

Here's the link to the audit report:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/OSA/coauditor1.nsf/All/A1449369AAF521958725791400588F96/$FILE/2142%20Final%20MOST%20Sept%202011.pdf

Jim, he isn't telling the whole story because he doesn't know it!! The Harley Rider's Edge only offers the BRC....no other classes. Thanks for posting the MOST link.

After reading the Audit report you will see there are several issue within the MOST program. ABATE is and has been totally aware of the problems and have tried to fix them in 2010 with SB-40 (http://www.abateofcolo.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=86&Itemid=84) Also in the report it shows other companies getting reimbursemnts for mobile expenses. ABATE is the only company besides Iron Buffalo that provides mobile training. I will tell you there are some crooked companies out there that have found loopholes in the Rules and Regulations and have used them to their benefit. Please don't take that comment that all of them are bad...they aren't, but there are some I'd love to see go out of business. However, that is my personal opinion. Another point, the MOST program has NEVER been audited since it's inception. Give them a chance to fix it for crying out loud. Fix the loopholes so ALL the companies have to fly straight and narrow.

dirkterrell
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Here's the link to the audit report:
http://www.leg.state.co.us/OSA/coauditor1.nsf/All/A1449369AAF521958725791400588F96/$FILE/2142%20Final%20MOST%20Sept%202011.pdf

Thanks Terry. I'll read through it this evening or tomorrow.

Spiderman
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 12:01 PM
... the MOST program has NEVER been audited since it's inception. Give them a chance to fix it for crying out loud. Fix the loopholes so ALL the companies have to fly straight and narrow.

:applause:

THoward
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Here's a new link for the Federal funding criteria regarding motorcycle safety. The other one didn't work.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/nhtsa/whatsup/TEA21/GrantMan/HTML/Sec_2010_MC.html

R1-Laubinero
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 09:31 PM
hmm--i just started teaching here too!--but this is no better or worse than whats going on in arkansas-- itd be nice if the state just built a few training facilities and hired the coaches...

Ninja2
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Just a quick note to let you know that I sent messages out on Sunday, and have not heard back at all. After reading Senator Renfroe's reply to DolphinRider, I decided on a slightly different approach and added some questions, to get some of the arguments from both sides on MOST. No response yet. Maybe I am expecting too much?!

I did read through some of the study and it looks like all this was the result of a federally imposed study that determined that the MOST program has some weaknesses and that it would cost more to implement additional oversight. As of today, the MOST program's cost is higher than the revenue. I think the important difference is that motorcycle riders ONLY would pay for this, not the general public. At least that is how it's been done. The ultimate question is whether WE as motorcyclists are willing to continue to pay and are willing to pay a bit more for MOST to continue to exist. And you have my vote.

What still isn't clear to me, though, is what happens without MOST. I understand the cost of motorcycle training will most likely increase. My assumption still is there will be no training (only what is left at the DMV to get the license) or the training will be reduced in time and scope to fit the smaller budget. I would really like to understand this part better.

As to the state hiring and building, I'd like to see a cost analysis.

THoward
Fri Oct 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Ninja2 I have just spent the last 20 minutes responding to your post only to lose internet connection and my whole response!!! If you would PM me, I'll send you my phone number and I can explain it to you.

Thanks!!

THoward
Fri Oct 28th, 2011, 06:18 PM
Update.....
I met with 6 of the other training companies last night. They want to save the MOST program. So we are drafting a letter from the contractors to indicate a unified support. They had some other ideas that we are working on. I have contacted all the tv stations along the Front Range hoping one of them may think this story is of interest. I did a prerecorded radio interview with Wild Ride Radio in Greeley to be aired Saturday at 1 PM. As a result of last night's meeting here are the next steps I have taken:
I spoke to Jerry Abboud with the Powersports Dealers Assoc., they are on board with us to preserve MOST. I made a phone call to my connection at AMA and discussed the situation with him. Our former Senator Wayne Allard is VP of Government Relations.... AMA will write a letter in support of saving the MOST program. Allard has also offered to contact his connections at the Capitol and try to muster some more support for us. Quick note...Jerry helped Senator Lois write the legislation for the MOST program back in 1990, so he is very familiar with it.
Spoke to Motorcycle Riders Foundation, they as well will send a letter supporting our position. Senator Lois also called and says emails are coming in and they sound very professional and she is proud to be aligned with us!! I will be meeting with her on Tuesday to discuss further actions we can take prior to Nov 7th. Keep the emails going and remember if you can make it to the Capitol on Nov 7th we'd love to have you join us. Time is still to be determined, but will post up as soon as I know.
Thanks to those of the that have sent emails or made phone calls...we have to keep the heat on them!

I am getting more hopeful by the minute...we just might win this!!!!

Ninja2
Sat Oct 29th, 2011, 10:45 AM
:applause:

Great news. Thank you so much for all your hard work. I am still hoping I can make it up there on the 7th.

THoward
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:19 AM
LAC hearing is at 3 PM Monday November 7th, 2011. Audit Committee Hearing Room – 1st Floor....any of you that can attend please do so. As I said in an earlier post...we cannot speak, but our presence will speak volumes!!

Mother Goose
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:24 AM
I'll try and make it down. Just depends on my work load.

Ninja2
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 10:25 AM
Unless something unexpected comes up, I should be able to make it. I will cage it, but should I'll prob have my leathers with me anyways.
Would that be appropriate? Or no motorcycle gear? I mean, I don't wanna be confused with them Occupiers.

Spiderman
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Now that I'm working downtown, I might be able to make this... especially considering it's a 5 minute walk!

modette99
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:11 PM
I do not agree with MOST. You should not be taxing people (fee) for a few. this is coming from me who I paid $20 in MI for the ERC and the wife paid $20 for the MSF because they heavily support the programs through taxes. It is wrong to support these programs through tax money. Collecting a fee is a form of tax.

I am a rider, and I don't support the fees, so saying all RIDER do is wrong. You making a decision on what fees I should pay is WRONG. That liberal thinking is getting old.

Rider training WILL not end....

Ninja2
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
I had similar questions and spoke with Terry. Maybe give her a call.

I look at it this way - and my apologies if there are any math errors in here: I took the basic MSF course (uhm, I actually took it twice). That probably saved me $70 for each course due to the MOST program. You pay an extra $4 for an initial registration and an additional $2 for each year’s renewal. So let’s say you’re sticking with the same bike, you're really only paying "taxes" after the 33rd year. Needless to say, if you take more MSF courses, the longer that period. So you really didn't pay for a few, but yourself, too.

Additionally, my personal belief still is that courses will be less or scaled back.

modette99
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 12:53 PM
No, it is an involuntary fee/tax. What if I don't want to take the MSF or ERC, what if I did not even take it in this state? So I am taxed $2 a year to renewal my license for something I have never used or plan to use?

Is this just on MC licenses or does my neighbor pay the same fee with a normal non MC endorsed license? If that is the case, why should they pay for MC training?

Ninja2
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
MC only.

I have to pay school district taxes, and do not have kids. Would I like to use that money for motorcycle parts? Of course, but I also think it is important to have an educated youth. Same applies to motorcycling. I want to be able to take an MSF course with the same curriculum and length that is available today, not some DMV test. And I want others to have that option, too. In that regard, sure. You have a point. But then you need to decide how important it is to have this option available. Because the next option would be to take it to the track and learn how to ride there, and that option is a LOT more expensive than $4 or $2 renewal.

THoward
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:09 PM
No, it is an involuntary fee/tax. What if I don't want to take the MSF or ERC, what if I did not even take it in this state? So I am taxed $2 a year to renewal my license for something I have never used or plan to use?

Is this just on MC licenses or does my neighbor pay the same fee with a normal non MC endorsed license? If that is the case, why should they pay for MC training?
I am sorry that you feel you have no need or use for education applying to motorcycling. Yes the fees are only assessed to motorcyclists. We pay a ton of fees that the majority of us never use. Why do I have to pay more in medical insurance just because I am over age 50? Doesn't matter that I am healthy...I am paying for those that don't have insurance. Why should I pay school taxes? I have no children. There are a lot of questionable taxes and fees that we pay. When you say you don't approve of the fee....80% of ABATE's 1500 members agree to the fee. This issue was sent out to our membership for a vote...ABATE acts on what our members want us to do. In 1989 motorcyclists, Riders for Justice, ABATE, 1% club members and several unaffiliated riders agreed to assess this fee. Why? There was not enough viable training in the state....they wanted it to be affordable and accessible to perspective riders. I happen to agree that motorcyclists should watch out for each other...because no one else will. I'd rather have my fees going to improve something I enjoy than pay for someone else's medical bills. Personally, I am all for less taxes and less regulation...but chaos tends to erupt when there is no regulation what so ever.
No training will not end, but the prices will increase significantly in a poor economy, mobile training in remote areas will end, and there will be NO oversight or control of rider education in this state. It's a rosy picture painted that all training companies will "do the right thing" but it is not reality. Colorado will be the only state in this country's history to eliminate a viable safety program. When you have the MRF and AMA and the insurance industry supporting the continuation of this program...it must be a good program. By the way, the majority of states charge some kind of fee on motorcyclists to run their training program. I can get an exact number if you so desire. Not trying to change your mind...just my 2 cents for what it's worth....

THoward
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:11 PM
Unless something unexpected comes up, I should be able to make it. I will cage it, but should I'll prob have my leathers with me anyways.
Would that be appropriate? Or no motorcycle gear? I mean, I don't wanna be confused with them Occupiers.
Leather jacket...or t-shirt motorcycle related would be good. Most will probably be caging it as well.

OUTLAWD
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 04:51 PM
will try to make it :up:

modette99
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:20 PM
I'm just not a fan of a lot of these "protect your riding groups", and never been a fan of Abate. Sorry 'ABATEStateCoord' I'm sure your a nice guy, just these groups are not my cup of tea.

I just don't see $70 in savings as being that significant, I mean you buy a $10K new motorcycle, so what if you spend another $300 in some training program??? It's like the people that buy the new $12K motorcycle but complain about gear cost.

If you want training to stay around and have better riders, why not mandate everyone coming into riding HAS to go to a course!!!! Do away with the DMV test altogether. There will be more programs, and competition and thus lower training cost.

Sorry I did not find the ERC beneficial when I took it. So I have never been a promoter of it. Wife already knew how to ride too, not sure MSF did much for her either.

Just my opinion, although I still tell new riders that never have touched a bike to do the MSF before even buying a bike...I just don't want them to spend thousands on a motorcycle and be one of those where it then sits int he garage for 5 years....LOL Riding is not for everyone.

OUTLAWD
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:45 PM
In NJ, the MSF class was offered for free...this program is far from that, but at least there is something, and even though I will never take advantage of the savings, its only a few bucks that will go toward someone educating themselves and becoming a safer rider (hopefully), plus I spend more in a week on Monster ;)

Ninja2
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Please do not drink Monster before the committee hearing.

OUTLAWD
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 06:25 PM
Please do not drink Monster before the committee hearing.

OK...I guess I can have RedBull instead :lol:

THoward
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 07:13 PM
I'm just not a fan of a lot of these "protect your riding groups", and never been a fan of Abate. Sorry 'ABATEStateCoord' I'm sure your a nice guy, just these groups are not my cup of tea.

Just a note...I am female...no offense taken. I appreciate the fact that you refer new people to the program. Is the MSF course the best curriculum? I can't say I am a huge fan...however, it is what is offered nationwide to waive license testing. So for now, that is what we have to offer. For example, we teach the Evergreen Safety Council's Sidecar/Trike Education Program. We feel it is more beneficial than the MSF 3 wheel. I wasn't a fan of these protect your right to ride groups either until politics knocked on my door. $70 to me isn't a big deal either...but when you have an 18 year old that just purchased Uncle Joe's bike sitting in the shed...$70 is a big deal. I'd rather have something available with some regulation than something with NO regulation...complete chaos! A note on mandatory training....I fully agree to that...but there should be mandatory Driver training as well...don't discriminate against one faction of motor vehicles.

TinkerinWstuff
Thu Nov 3rd, 2011, 09:24 PM
Thanks Terry and to any who are able to make time in their day to show up and represent the rest of us who support this.

THoward
Sun Nov 6th, 2011, 03:18 PM
For those of you that plan on attending the hearing, it is not at the Capitol, but across the street (south side) from the Capitol in the Legislative Legal Services building I believe it is called. 200 East 14th Avenue, Denver, CO 80203-2211. 1st floor Audit Committee Hearing Room still at 3 PM.

Cornfed
Sun Nov 6th, 2011, 03:58 PM
I do not agree with MOST. You should not be taxing people (fee) for a few. this is coming from me who I paid $20 in MI for the ERC and the wife paid $20 for the MSF because they heavily support the programs through taxes. It is wrong to support these programs through tax money. Collecting a fee is a form of tax.

I am a rider, and I don't support the fees, so saying all RIDER do is wrong. You making a decision on what fees I should pay is WRONG. That liberal thinking is getting old.

Rider training WILL not end....

+1

I think everyone can get behind improving ur skills but I am sick and tired of government fees, taxes, surcharges and involvement. Let me keep my money and I will decide how to spend it. For around $300 I can spend the day at HPR with Pridmore let alone practice going around cones in a parking lot. Just my 2 cents.

UglyDogRacing
Sun Nov 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM
+1

I think everyone can get behind improving ur skills but I am sick and tired of government fees, taxes, surcharges and involvement. Let me keep my money and I will decide how to spend it. For around $300 I can spend the day at HPR with Pridmore let alone practice going around cones in a parking lot. Just my 2 cents.

You're comparing apples and oranges in your argument. An MSF basic rider course is designed for new riders, some who have never ridden before, to learn the fundamentals and get their motorcycle endorsement. It is by no means a track school like Pridmore's Star School. Even the level II BRC and Advanced Rider Course are more street specific and can not be compared to a track school. And I am probably the biggest advocate you will find for street riders to enhance their skills at the track.
As far as government involvement goes, would you prefer no oversite over the entities that have the ability to license motorcyclists to ride on the street?

UglyDogRacing
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 09:04 AM
For those of you that plan on attending the hearing, it is not at the Capitol, but across the street (south side) from the Capitol in the Legislative Legal Services building I believe it is called. 200 East 14th Avenue, Denver, CO 80203-2211. 1st floor Audit Committee Hearing Room still at 3 PM.

Website - http://www.leg.state.co.us/osa/coauditor1.nsf/home?openform

Agenda - http://www.leg.state.co.us/osa/coauditor1.nsf/UID/35CED4A56B80D1D087257935005F5145/$file/Legislative+Audit+Committee+Hearing+Agenda+Novembe r+7-8,+2011.pdf?OpenElement

Map - http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=200+East+14th+Avenue,+Denver,+CO+80203-2211&gs_upl=2160l2160l0l3171l1l1l0l0l0l0l200l200l2-1l1l0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=848&wrapid=tlif132068158664810&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x876c7ed54a8f7171:0x6686a586d76bed6f,200+E+ 14th+Ave,+Denver,+CO+80203&gl=us&ei=dgC4TuXyAcfJsQLTps3RAw&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBoQ8gEwAA

Ninja2
Mon Nov 7th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Dang. I call that a service, Jim. LOL

No wonder legislators are not familiar with the MOST program. They have so much other stuff on their plates. Another reason to show up and show that we have a large motorcycle community in CO who cares.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Nov 8th, 2011, 08:29 AM
The Audit Committee killed this bill yesterday afternoon. Thanks to those who came out to support the MOST program.

KFinn
Tue Nov 8th, 2011, 09:16 AM
The Audit Committee killed this bill yesterday afternoon. Thanks to those who came out to support the MOST program.
Fantastic News!!

THoward
Tue Nov 8th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Thank you to those that showed up to support MOST. While Jim is absolutely correct that the bill was killed yesterday, our battle is not over. From the indications in the room yesterday, we will have a bill introduced next session. We have a lot of work to do to keep this program. It is easier to keep a program and fix it, than to lose one and try to recreate another. I will keep you posted as to what goes on. If any of you have an interest in following this or working with ABATE and CDOT on this program, please PM me, I'll let you know what you can do to help.

Thanks again!!!

UglyDogRacing
Fri Jan 20th, 2012, 12:17 PM
The state legislature has once again introduced a bill to kill the MOST program-

SB12-089 - CONCERNING THE REPEAL OF THE MOTORCYCLE OPERATOR SAFETY TRAINING PROGRAM

Introduced January 19, 2012 - Assigned to transportation Committee

Bill Summary: The bill repeals the motorcycle operator safety training program administered by the office of transportation safety in the department of transportation and repeals all license and registration fees imposed to fund the program.
Senate Transportation Committee Members:

Evie Hudak, Chair
Suzanne Williams, Vice-Chair
Scott Renfroe (Senate Sponsor)
Nancy Spence (Senate Co-Sponsor)
Steve King
Linda Newell
Gail Schwartz

http://www.leg.state.co.us/CLICS/CLICS2012A/csl.nsf/fsbillcont3/60EA58900E7EB99587257981007E015B?Open&file=089_01.pdf

Please visit the ABATE of Colorado website www.abateofcolo.org (http://www.abateofcolo.org/) > Legislative > Alerts for more information.

Please sign the online petition:
http://www.change.org/petitions/colorado-motorcycle-riders-save-the-most-program

THoward
Mon Jan 23rd, 2012, 01:21 PM
We have a hearing date for SB 12-089. It is scheduled for Transportation committee hearing Tuesday Feb 14 at 2 PM, room scr 352. The committee convenes at 2:00 PM. If ANYONE can attend...PLEASE be there.

A couple other points for you to think about. Forget the making training affordable.
*What about the small bit of motorcycle awareness CDOT puts out every April and May? This program is part of the MOST program. That will completely go away.
*What about the money that was collected from motorcyclists during 2011? That money is slated to be appropriated to the MOST program July 1st 2012. If the program is repealed what are they going to do with it? They will not refund each and every one of us $4. They'll dump it in to some other fund.
* Will DMV accept the MSF cards to waive the license? No...because there will be no entity making sure that rider coaches are certified. So we will go back to waiting 3 months to get a test for endorsements.
* Colorado will be the first state in the nation to repeal a motorcycle safety program. All the other states are ramping up their programs.

I by no means am a safety-crat. I do however believe in making us (motorcyclists) safer when we ride. Eliminating this program will be a huge injustice to the riders of Colorado!!!

Ninja2
Mon Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:01 PM
Terry, unfortunately, I am unable to make this one. As always, thank you so much for all the work you do. I wish we can keep MOST program.

I hope there will be good turnout, incl. members of the CSC. Even for non-supporters of the MOST program, I think this is a great opportunity to show that there is a substantial amount of motorcyclists out there and that we care. And, if nothing else, see the Legislature in action, which was a new experience to me when I sat in for the hearing.

Foolds
Mon Jan 23rd, 2012, 05:15 PM
Signed

Cap'n Crunch
Mon Jan 23rd, 2012, 06:45 PM
Signed the petition. Thanks terry.

spideyrdr
Mon Jan 23rd, 2012, 07:25 PM
I've signed the petition. I will forever support safety programs for motorcyclists in the hopes that it will keep even one rider from becoming a statistic.

UglyDogRacing
Tue Feb 21st, 2012, 11:05 PM
GOOD NEWS!!!

I am happy to announce that Senate Bill SB12-809, that would have abolished the Colorado MOST Program, was killed in the Colorado Senate Transportation Committee tonight.

The bill to abolish the MOST Program was sponsored by Senator Scott Renfroe and Rep Chris Holbert and during today's committee meeting they were supported in their efforts to kill the MOST Program by representatives from the Colorado Coalition of Clubs, (Tiger and Diablo) as well Colleen Boyle from T3RG who supported the abolishment / termination of the MOST Training Program.

Speaking in support of continuing the MOST Program were various ABATE members including Training Director; Ben Hochberg, and State Coordinator; Terry Howard, (all of ABATE), as well as Christi Little; new member coordinator for the Colorado SportBike Club, Erick Erickson of Iron Buffalo, one of the MOST program originators; Jerry Abboud, CDOT Deputy Director; Herman Stockinger, Bob Frank, and others, all spoke in support of continuing the MOST Program.

Tonight's wonderful and well deserved result was the culmination of a lot of meetings and work, some internal to CDOT, as well as others that the training community directly participated in. This information was instrumental in getting the correct and real information to the Senate Transportation Committee.

With that combined effort we were successful in getting the proposed legislation killed.

FZRguy
Tue Feb 21st, 2012, 11:10 PM
Great news!

THoward
Wed Feb 22nd, 2012, 01:29 PM
A huge thank you to all of you that heped us out. We can make a difference in our government!!

ABATE of Colorado
4725 Paris St Suite #250, Denver, CO, 80239
303-789-3264 (office) | 303-789-2915 (fax) www.abateofcolo.org

ABATE of Colorado News Release – Repeal of Colorado’s Motorcycle Operator’s Safety Training (MOST) Program

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
February 22, 2012
Contact: Kirk Fry, Legislative Affairs Officer (legislative@abateofcolo.org) / Terry Howard, State Coordinator (statecoord@abateofcolo.org)

Victory for Colorado Motorcyclists

ABATE of Colorado reports that February 21, 2012, SB12-089, Repeal the Motorcycle Operator Safety Training (M.O.S.T.) Program has been postponed indefinitely on a vote of 4-3.
There have been issues with the MOST program over the past few years and ABATE tried unsuccessfully to remedy the issue in 2010, with SB10-40. As a result of SB10-40 being introduced ultimately a Legislative Audit of the program was ordered. The Audit didn’t reveal much that was not already known. The Audit contained several recommendations including one to repeal the program.
In November of 2011, ABATE attended the Legislative Audit Committee hearing to review the audit findings and to decide if legislation should be drafted to repeal the program. Members of the committee were split on whether the program should be fixed or go away. Both motions (1) to draft repeal legislation and (2) to legislate ‘fixes’ ended in tie votes so nothing further was done at that time.
When the 2012 legislative session began in January, Senator Renfroe renewed efforts to repeal the program. The repeal of the program would be a huge injustice to the riders of Colorado. ABATE of Colorado members, Colorado Sportbike Club members, Motorcycle Roadracing Association members, CDOT, Powersports Dealers Association, the American Motorcyclist Association, Motorcycle Safety Foundation, Motorcycle Riders Foundation and most of the rider education community in Colorado rallied their efforts to defeat this legislation.
Job well done to those that participated and thank you for your efforts!!
The MOST program still needs a lot of work and CDOT along with stakeholder input has a list of initiatives to implement in the program. We look forward to working with CDOT in the coming months to make the MOST program a more effective and viable program to benefit the riders of Colorado.