PDA

View Full Version : Lincoln or Hobart or Miller Welder

sloridr
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 07:26 AM
This one:

http://www.lincolnelectric.com/en-us/Equipment/Pages/product.aspx?product=K2688-1

Or this one:

http://hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler140/

What are your thoughts, opinions, experiences with either or both of these products.

Thank you in advance.

Clovis
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 07:38 AM
I prefer whichever one helps my welds not look like bird poop.

mxer
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 08:25 AM
I have the older version of that lincoln. If I remember when I bought it, it was the most powerful 120V available. It says it can do 5/16" steel but I wouldn't trust my life to it. The hobart has a wider amp range. We have had a large lincoln TIG at work for a little over a year and the water lines that were used have already deteriorated and started leaking. It was a little disappointing for only being a year old. I know these aren't water cooled but still shows the quality.

I would go with the hobart/miller. I would also try to swing 240V if you can it will be useful down the road.

sloridr
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 08:30 AM
I have the older version of that lincoln. If I remember when I bought it, it was the most powerful 120V available. It says it can do 5/16" steel but I wouldn't trust my life to it. The hobart has a wider amp range. We have had a large lincoln TIG at work for a little over a year and the water lines that were used have already deteriorated and started leaking. It was a little disappointing for only being a year old. I know these aren't water cooled but still shows the quality.

I would go with the hobart/miller. I would also try to swing 240V if you can it will be useful down the road.

Thank you first off. So here is another example in 230v. It's a little more $ but as you say would do more down the road.

http://hobartwelders.com/products/wirefeed/handler190/

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005CNOVZU/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B005CGZNMM&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=19T28WQGJAKVB6P7E85A

Ezzzzy1
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 08:53 AM

+1
Enough said....

longrider
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I would go with the Hobart, get the bigger one if you can. I have had the 120v model for 15 years and it has been flawless. Granted it is not used every day but it has fed more than a few spools of wire through it

mxer
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 03:34 PM
I guess you should say what you are planning to do with it. If it's mostly decorative or thinner steel then the 120V is sufficient but if you're going to to stuff like roll cages or structural definitely get the 240V as you'll get better penetration due to the high amp capability.

The only problem is getting access to 240 where you can use the welder. Usually your dryer and stove are the only outlets for 240 then you have run a big ass extension cord to your garage. Just something to keep in mind.

sloridr
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 05:20 PM
I guess you should say what you are planning to do with it. If it's mostly decorative or thinner steel then the 120V is sufficient but if you're going to to stuff like roll cages or structural definitely get the 240V as you'll get better penetration due to the high amp capability.

The only problem is getting access to 240 where you can use the welder. Usually your dryer and stove are the only outlets for 240 then you have run a big ass extension cord to your garage. Just something to keep in mind.

I plan on doing some structural on a trailer, and build a big ass smoker for right now. My garage already has a 50A 240v outlet all set up in a perfect spot. I will be making a big ass extension cord too. For what I have planned currently the 120v version would work just fine, but I'm all about getting the right tool the first time.

mxer
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah then no question 240V all the way or maybe even a TIG if you really want the right tool.

sloridr
Sun Oct 9th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'll have to do my research on TIG's cuz i know nothing about them. I also want a Lincoln Buzz Box or a stick welder of sorts.

derekm
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 01:29 PM
miller

sloridr
Mon Oct 10th, 2011, 03:45 PM
miller

You know Miller bought out Hobart. I just learned that. My Dad has a friend that works in a welding supply house in PHX. He is checking on some Miller prices for me.... Everyone keep there fingers crossed for a good deal.